Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If you're touring on the road on a bike, you should prob get full fenders for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Fenders are optional for most riding. If you hate cleaning your drivetrain or are bothered by a little mud or rain then you can run them.

However! If you do multiday gravel touring they are required. When you go to drink out of your water bottle and its clogged with dirt and mud from yesterday, and your legs are coated with dirt that turns to mud when you sweat on it and your socks have turned completely brown, not because its raining, but because of the sweat-mud dripping into your shoes... you will want fenders.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Good full fenders are so good, I can't imagine why someone living in a place where it rains would not have them.

I mean, I don't have them on every bike, but ya gotta have a rain bike for rainy days, and it's gotta have full fenders with big ol mudflaps for extra coverage.
Otherwise you will be miserable, not ride as much (and be miserable), or become a zwifteur (and be miserable).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
After riding in the Midwest for a couple of years I quickly settled on full fenders as a requirement. Now that I'm in CA where it never rains, I still have full fenders on my road bikes. If I ever build up the frame in my attic, I might stray from fender-land but it's going to be a rude awakening the first time I ride through a puddle.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Alright I'll have to ditch the too-big tires and get full fenders. Any full fender recommendations?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Dren posted:

Alright I'll have to ditch the too-big tires and get full fenders. Any full fender recommendations?

Honjos are the gold standard and priced accordingly.
Velo-orange does a serviceable knockoff for a reasonable price.
Some folks like the SKS chromoplastic ones, but personally I really prefer metal if I'm going with a year-round install.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The PDW fenders are incredible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i hadnt installed fenders before but i found that i had to fiddle with my portland design work fenders to get them to fit correctly but it was worth it and kept my drivetrain a lot cleaner than without.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Seems like you have to fiddle with all fenders to get them to fit correctly.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've got a set of kenisis fend off on my winter bike and they're ace, pretty pricey though

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If you're doing any touring, as others have said, full coverage. Honjos are great, Berthoud makes some as well, but both of those are top of the line cost-wise.

If you're going anywhere wet with potential cow/horse/animal dung, definitely get fenders. There was a group of people during PBP who got really sick 8 years ago because their water bottles got contaminated with feces (and they didn't have fenders).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People ride without clingfilm covering the bottle tops in the wet?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The PDW fenders are incredible.

and probably won't make you change your tires either

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

learnincurve posted:

People ride without clingfilm covering the bottle tops in the wet?

This but camelbak dirt series with the little nipple covers. After I heard about that race where a ton of people got ecoli from goat poo poo I switched exclusively to those bottles.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Dren posted:

It's for touring so I'd like to avoid getting wet as much as possible. I guess waterproof pants would be an option.

Skin is waterproof. Unless it’s really cold I’d rather cycle with shorts and dry off later.

How hard can you cycle before getting sweaty in waterproofs anyway?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

bicievino posted:

Honjos are the gold standard and priced accordingly.
Velo-orange does a serviceable knockoff for a reasonable price.
Some folks like the SKS chromoplastic ones, but personally I really prefer metal if I'm going with a year-round install.

-- all IMO --
tiers are:
Gilles Berthoud, Honjo
Velo-Orange, PDW
Handsome (the cheapest U-strut construction, and best value for money)
SKS, Planet Bike

Special shoutout to Crud Roadracer for being retrofittable onto a road bike with no fender hardware and being a pretty good permanent install.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

wooger posted:

Skin is waterproof. Unless it’s really cold I’d rather cycle with shorts and dry off later.

How hard can you cycle before getting sweaty in waterproofs anyway?

For touring. It be utter mad to let yourself get soaking wet then have to get back into those soaking wet clothes the next day and potentially even dangerous unless you live in a very pleasant climate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can self waterproof any item of clothing, not going to be storm proof but does work well on Lycra. I use nikwax wash in proofer and then the spray - they do a special spray for cycling gloves that you never knew you needed.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

Fenders are optional for most riding. If you hate cleaning your drivetrain or are bothered by a little mud or rain then you can run them.

:itwaspoo:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

highme posted:

and probably won't make you change your tires either

I measured my bike/tires according to the pdw fit guide and I'm 8mm short of fitting under my front fork. Otherwise they actually might fit?

I ordered the PDWs. Thanks everyone.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

kimbo305 posted:

-- all IMO --
tiers are:
Gilles Berthoud, Honjo
Velo-Orange, PDW
Handsome (the cheapest U-strut construction, and best value for money)
SKS, Planet Bike

Having gone from PDW to Handsome to Honjo, I'd put your list upside down. The Handsome were easiest to fit and better made and cheaper than all the rest. Only downside is you have to be ok with the wrinkly finish and just one two (thx kimbo) sizes. Honjo/Simworks have the widest variety but they come undrilled so quite a lot of faffing and fettling - I spent about 6 hours + dynamo modifications on mine. PDW somewhere in the middle - I had to modify the stays and they're quite spendy all things considered. One very good thing about the PDWs is the flat mid section - you can apply a long a strip of adhesive 3M retroreflective tape on it.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 11, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
The Honjo aren't nicest cause they're easiest to install, friend. They're nicest cause they're the best. They look good and last decades.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Well I hope so for the price, but the other two are objectively better.

Edit - left out another plus for the honjo, you can get differently length brackets for the seat stay bridge and fork crown. Very useful for mixing and matching between road and gravel forks. The other two are fixed IIRC.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 11, 2021

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm still using whatever Planet Bike or PDW fenders I got from my local bike shop ten years ago, they keep me dry so I'm happy. I even have a spare set I salvaged from a bike that was smoked by an SUV at highway speeds that just needed the stay mounts bent back into shape but was otherwise no worse for wear.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Handsomes have always come in two sizes, but looks like they have a range of colors for your tasteful randonneur type bike

https://handsomecycles.com/collections/fenders-fender-parts

Looks like the normal 45mm ones are scarce, though retailers will have it for cheaper than 70 when it comes back.

I have a certain fondness for this completely unscooped fender cuz it was on my first touring bike

It doesn’t lose as much effectiveness as you’d think, and is much more tolerant of misadjustment.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Did my first 50 mile ride saturday with a group. Brought my standard two bottles of 50% electrolyte and 50% water (one packet of powder in one full bottle then pour half into the other bottle before filling both). I killed one bottle by the time we hit our break maybe 15-20mi into ride. I refilled it and we continued on. I then killed both bottles by the time we hit mile 45 or so meaning I did the last 5 without water. The weather was nice and I wasn't thirsty yet so I was safe this time. I'm thinking I need a third bottle or a camelbak or something? I've seen some contraption on one of the group member's bikes that connects to the seat tube and holds 1 or 2 bottles there. I just don't think I'd be able to keep the bottles cold the whole ride. My bottles are both the tall 24 oz insulated ones. And since I'm in texas, I've been prepping one bottle by freezing it the night before so by the time I kill my first bottle, the frozen one is maybe half way thawed out leaving me with refreshingly cold water. The first bottle just gets filled half way with ice before I leave the house. If I got a camelbak, I could freeze two bottles and then just go to bottles by the time my camelbak is out. Suggestions?

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 11, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Aren't 24oz bottles quite small? just get big liter ones if you can fit them

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

poemdexter posted:

Did my first 50 mile ride saturday with a group. Brought my standard two bottles of 50% electrolyte and 50% water (one packet of powder in one full bottle then pour half into the other bottle before filling both). I killed one bottle by the time we hit our break maybe 15-20mi into ride. I refilled it and we continued on. I then killed both bottles by the time we hit mile 45 or so meaning I did the last 5 without water. The weather was nice and I wasn't thirsty yet so I was safe this time. I'm thinking I need a third bottle or a camelbak or something? I've seen some contraption on one of the group member's bikes that connects to the seat tube and holds 1 or 2 bottles there. I just don't think I'd be able to keep the bottles cold the whole ride. My bottles are both the tall 24 oz insulated ones. And since I'm in texas, I've been prepping one bottle by freezing it the night before so by the time I kill my first bottle, the frozen one is maybe half way thawed out leaving me with refreshingly cold water. The first bottle just gets filled half way with ice before I leave the house. If I got a camelbak, I could freeze two bottles and then just go to bottles by the time my camelbak is out. Suggestions?

General rule of thumb I use is one bottle per hour of riding, with more if it's hot. Texas summer riding probably qualifies. Two bottles in 25 miles sounds like a lot to me, but duration matters more than mileage, I suppose.

I'd recommend mirroring what your group does - it's probably (but not definitely) reasonably optimized for their style of riding.
It's not unreasonable to expect a group to stop every two hours or so to refill bottles.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

poemdexter posted:

What works for one person might not work for someone else. Do what works for you.

For fast training rides around 50mi in temperate weather I’ll use two regular sized Purists (22oz.) If it averages 65F I might barely touch the second bottle. If it’s 80F+ I’ll bring two large Purists (26oz.) I’ve gotten used to not using mix on ~50mi rides, but will use a flask filled with gel that contains added salt. And yes, I often freeze both bottles, even for cooler weather rides.

A third bottle seems a little extreme. Is there no access to a drinking fountain or other public water tap on your routes?

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 11, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been able to get along with a third bottle in my jersey pocket.

as soon as I finish drinking the first bottle I swap the full one in the jersey for the empty one

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i have the day off tomorrow and want to do a huge ride but its supposed to get super hot so maybe ill try to get some swim stops in

soggy chammy tho

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Do what we do in all of Europe: Stop at a cafe halfway, get a coffee and refill your bottles.

2L of water should be more than enough unless you’re cycling through a desert / wilderness area.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

bicievino posted:

General rule of thumb I use is one bottle per hour of riding, with more if it's hot. Texas summer riding probably qualifies. Two bottles in 25 miles sounds like a lot to me, but duration matters more than mileage, I suppose.

I'd recommend mirroring what your group does - it's probably (but not definitely) reasonably optimized for their style of riding.
It's not unreasonable to expect a group to stop every two hours or so to refill bottles.

This is pretty much what I do normally except we stopped closer to the 15 mile mark so it felt a little premature to stop so soon. It was a 3h11m ride total. I've also never done the calculation to see how much I sweat and replace 2/3s (I read this somewhere). I've just experienced heat exhaustion many times and avoid it at all costs without going overboard. In all honesty, I should have been able to make 3 bottles total last 50 miles, but I guess I sipped a little too much. We started at 7am and it was pushing into 10:30am when we got to the end and it was starting to heat up a tad. I'm signing up for an even longer ride this upcoming Saturday and hope we aren't gonna be goofy about stops.

Thanks goons.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I generally drink about a bottle every 1:30-2:00 depending on the temperature if I'm not actively trying to drink more. It's probably less than ideal so I've been trying to focus on taking a drink more frequently. But I usually set out on a 100k with three bottles and never plan on stopping.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I take two 600 ml bottles and they're gone after about 2h30m in the summer, and most of the time I down another bottle once I get home. that's like a 45 mile flat ride or so? I sweat a fuckload and I'm fat. If I go longer/it's really hot I refill along the way, take larger bottles (800ml), and/or carry a spare or two in my jersey backpocket.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I've done a century on 2 800ml bottles before without stopping, but that was a) in spring and b) a bit too far

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Every morning I wake up and open palm slam a Nuun tablet into the bottle.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

R.I.P. KONA KOLA :patriot:

and lemon tea

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 11, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
THe only time I feel compelled to ever bring a 3rd bottle is for especially long rides and/or rides where there is an unknown water situation.

Personally, I'm similar to Tobin - I'll probably drink a bit but usually don't go through 2 bottles unless its hot for anything 50-70 miles. Mix-wise for a 50-70 miler, I'll probably throw in some electrolyte mix or just eat a salt tablet if necessary. Calories are dependent on effort, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

bicievino posted:

it's gotta have full fenders with big ol mudflaps for extra coverage.
Otherwise you will be miserable, not ride as much (and be miserable), or become a zwifteur (and be miserable).
:amen: