Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember watching some of the early weekly PPV TNA shows and after a while they just get boring. Imo the product peaked during the Spike TV era. And promptly burned down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I remember when they got the Fox Sports show and I was like “I guess I’ll tune in”

Then they took the title off Raven and onto JJ before the first show and I was like “I guess not”

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Tato posted:

I remember when they got the Fox Sports show and I was like “I guess I’ll tune in”

Then they took the title off Raven and onto JJ before the first show and I was like “I guess not”

Raven had the title in-between the FSN days and the Spike TV days.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So downloading all the Retro shows before my membership expires is making me reflect on my favorite jokes.

One I always remember is them talking about ECW and its guys as the company was dead or close to dying. They pointed out "Paul would never lie to the fans but he'd lie his rear end off to the boys." It is sort of an interesting contrast with WCW - people in WCW had no faith in management so it was like the Boy Who Cried Wolf when the comany was sold. In ECW, the guys had such faith in Heyman that, and this was the joke from Bryan and Vinny, they might still to this day still think this is all just part of Paul's plan. At least Tommy Dreamer might still be thinking that.

God, I really wish someday I could sit down and watch ECW. Without WWE edits which everyone assures me ruins everything.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

NikkolasKing posted:

At least Tommy Dreamer might still be thinking that.

Didn't Dreamer openly admit a while back that he had plans to go to Wrestlemania while Heyman was on commentary and shoot him to death live on PPV?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Drakkel posted:

Didn't Dreamer openly admit a while back that he had plans to go to Wrestlemania while Heyman was on commentary and shoot him to death live on PPV?

Yeah, Dreamer planned to kill Heyman and then himself at WM17

I think as far as the story goes JR calling him to let him know they haven't forgotten about him changed his mind.

It's kinda crazy that something basic like that prevented yet another pro-wrestling tragedy from happening.

E: Here's an article about it https://www.sportscasting.com/tommy-dreamer-seriously-considered-killing-paul-heyman-and-then-himself-at-wrestlemania-17/

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NikkolasKing posted:

So downloading all the Retro shows before my membership expires is making me reflect on my favorite jokes.

One I always remember is them talking about ECW and its guys as the company was dead or close to dying. They pointed out "Paul would never lie to the fans but he'd lie his rear end off to the boys." It is sort of an interesting contrast with WCW - people in WCW had no faith in management so it was like the Boy Who Cried Wolf when the comany was sold. In ECW, the guys had such faith in Heyman that, and this was the joke from Bryan and Vinny, they might still to this day still think this is all just part of Paul's plan. At least Tommy Dreamer might still be thinking that.

God, I really wish someday I could sit down and watch ECW. Without WWE edits which everyone assures me ruins everything.

The good news is if you're fine with watching rips of 5th generation VHS ECW is out there, the full run of their TV, all the supershows they put out themselves on VHS, plus a surprising amount of house shows that RF Video filmed. Unfortunately we're talking proper :filez: sites so I can't explicitly say where, but there can't be many explicitly wrestling based torrent sites around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gigantic breaking news from Dave on WOR this week in the middle of arguing with Bryan about Drew McIntyre's sword:

"None of this is real."

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

The good news is if you're fine with watching rips of 5th generation VHS ECW is out there, the full run of their TV, all the supershows they put out themselves on VHS, plus a surprising amount of house shows that RF Video filmed. Unfortunately we're talking proper :filez: sites so I can't explicitly say where, but there can't be many explicitly wrestling based torrent sites around.

there is an ecw restoration that put the old audio on the network rips. Not sure how many years they did

Suplex Liberace fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 10, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

Raven had the title in-between the FSN days and the Spike TV days.

He has a point though, them taking the belt off Raven the way they did was exceptionally dumb. Non televised, yet another rehash of the Montreal incident, and it didn't even result in JJ getting comeuppance, and Raven had a long, interminable feud with Zbyszko.

Supposedly, the logic was they wanted the belt on JJ for the new TV deal, but why not do the title change on TV? Have your world title change on a new show, it might create buzz. Instead, Raven dropped it on a show with TNA guys for Scott D'Amore's BCW promotion.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 10, 2021

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I expected a lot more ranting from Bryan about the doll angle but I guess he and Dave are so desensitised to this stuff by now.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Seams posted:

I expected a lot more ranting from Bryan about the doll angle but I guess he and Dave are so desensitised to this stuff by now.

I'm assuming that's a reference to something like the Alexa and Dewdrop segment I saw on a swing set which was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen from WWE?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

luchadornado posted:

I'm assuming that's a reference to something like the Alexa and Dewdrop segment I saw on a swing set which was one of the cringiest things I've ever seen from WWE?

Nope, Deudrop hit the doll and there was a terrible effect of the doll winking at her (complete with sound effect) after which she sold like the doll had pulled out a knife.

I would say wait for Observer Live because Bryan knows he isn’t going to be able to fully unload on it with Dave around.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
https://streamable.com/sh0jpq

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Man, it's always worse than you think.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

absolutely legendary sword chat today

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

lol Dave completely missed that Nick Jackson was doing line reads for a toy and thought it was a spoof on WWE scripted promos.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Dango Bango posted:

lol Dave completely missed that Nick Jackson was doing line reads for a toy and thought it was a spoof on WWE scripted promos.

I thought I was losing my mind listening to that bit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave is gas lighting us about the Nick Jackson segment and Bryan about the sword.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Dango Bango posted:

i was so loving confused how he came to that conclusion

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I thought it might be for the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

have you heard the guy talk

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Arbite posted:

I thought it might be for the game.

I'm pretty sure they said it was for their wrestle buddies but I'd have to double check BTE.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah, they say pretty clearly what it's for and it takes some serious mental gymnastics to interpret this as a shot at WWE's scripted promo. Even if the fact that they have to repeat lines was only on screen as text iirc.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Karmine posted:

https://anchor.fm/immovable-objects-a-classic-wrestling-podcast

It’s not the pisscast, we’ve all moved on, but its of a similar spirit. Enjoy! Or don’t!

Big news!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

So listening to the Raw report on WOL.... do... do the commentators legitimately call Drew's sword a sward?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Jerusalem posted:

So listening to the Raw report on WOL.... do... do the commentators legitimately call Drew's sword a sward?

A Sword-like Structure

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
What's the point of giving him a sword when he's not gonna cut a guy's head off with it?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Incessant Excess posted:

What's the point of giving him a sword when he's not gonna cut a guy's head off with it?

WWE brings Val Venis back for one night only so Drew can reenact the Mr Yamaguchi spot with his giant sword.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

What a botch. They should know that it's only a Sward if it's from the Sward region in France, otherwise it's just a sparkling Sword.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Welcome to a Moment in History

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAgjkVwyrl8

The Bryan and Vinny show covering the announcement of Kurt Angle debuting in TNA with at length discussion over how he was fired from WWE because they feared he was about to die like Eddie, they had just signed Vince Russo again, and how abhorrent TNA instantly signed Angle when he was still in the midst of drug addiction.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I loved Dave & Bryan trying to figure out what amount of reverse psychology could persuade Vince & Pritchard

Cerebral Bore posted:

What a botch. They should know that it's only a Sward if it's from the Sward region in France, otherwise it's just a sparkling Sword.

That's not how you pronounce 'sword.'

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the first time I ever heard someone pronounce it sward was on one of 50’s songs on GRODT where he said “swing swards like Conan” and i always thought that was weird

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

:thejoke:

Anyway, it's a shame that Mike's insufferability is waxing because these days especially a listenable daily audio recap of all the news would be a hot item.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

mike is good

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

yea ok posted:

mike is good

the reality of the situation is that he's average at best, and if you think he's better, you're a fool. that's the fact of the matter, and it's foolish to think otherwise.

*repeat for 3 minutes*

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Impact 2006 minor trip report

A l;ot of this coverage is about a tag team I forgot existed, The Naturals, namely Bryan and Vinny discussing how loving generic, unmemorable and bad they were as a team

This is a running joke throughout these recaps that the Naturals appear and they cant remember which is which despite having been in TNA for four years.

It did lead to them explaining what may be one of the best botches ever -

The Naturals had a tag team finisher of one Natural lifting a guy up for a powerbomb and the other Natural coming off the top rope with a missile dropkick hitting them in a dropkick/powerbomb.

So they were doing this to Sonjay Dutt and the Natural holding Dutt up was far too far away from the corner, and rather than the guy on the top rope say "you need to be closer" he did a Brock Lesnar and jumped

What happened was he missile dropkicked his own partner in the back of the head.

The other Natural fell and Dutt landed on top of him.

And then they pinned Dutt anyway for the three.

Long live The Naturals, I have literally no memory of you apart from your name.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Incessant Excess posted:

It's a fake sword because as a babyface you would never carry a real sword on TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrbasehart
Jul 19, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's a fake sword because as a babyface you would never carry a real sword on TV.

An incredible segment. And just as I thought they'd dropped it, Bryan brought it back up!