Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Zeus chain lightning cast is definitely only one hit per target, no bounce-backs. There's a secondary boon that upgrades the number of bounces up to +8, which if it could hit more than once would just be totally broken.

What it can do is bounce off walls when it hasn't hit anything yet. Not massively useful, but in a situation where you want to shoot around a corner it's one of the few attacks that can. Worth remembering when you're hiding behind a pillar during beam spam you can possibly get a hit or two in by reflecting bolts if the geometry works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Riven posted:

I think one of my best meltingest ones was the bow where the specials all hit one target, with the hammer that gives you more special arrows, doom that has more damage the more it stacks, and the delayed doom that hits for more damage when it triggers.

It was just attack -> special -> walk away on every enemy.

Mine was this but it was stacked with Demeter. Stack ten chills, let those burst on the guy, and insta-kill at x percentage, as well as the decay with a couple of duos thrown in for good measure.

Sometimes a build is so good I'm shocked I get away with it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
drat the Duo where every boon is guaranteed to be epic seems amazing. Too bad I got it from Charon’s shop outside the Hades fight

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Theseus slowly breaking down over the last 4-5 runs has been my favorite plot line aside from Chaos so far, and the run he has a full on meltdown is one I have EM3 on, it’s amazing.

PS as far as melting goes, this is non-boss melting but I have the Hestia aspect of the gun, +266% damage after killing a foe, and +200% backstab. aside from butterfly balls, once I kill someone I can one shot every other enemy it’s hilarious

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

indigi posted:

PS as far as melting goes, this is non-boss melting but I have the Hestia aspect of the gun, +266% damage after killing a foe, and +200% backstab. aside from butterfly balls, once I kill someone I can one shot every other enemy it’s hilarious

I love when you end up with a lopsided build like that. All the fights start being puzzles of how to apply your overpowered combo effectively

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
My entry for fastest boss melting: one time I had a sword run that wasn't a hyper-specific combo, just a generally great set of boons from aphrodite, artemis, and demeter:
+damage (aphrodite secondary, double nova hammer, ravenous will, privileged status)
+crits (nemesis blade, pressure points, artemis cast & call, heart rend duo)
+long duration curses (weak, chill from dash & snow burst, killing freeze) so priv status was easy

Plus I was using a more offensive set of mirror options like ruthless reflex, when I'm normally way on the defense side.

Basically once it unloaded a full set of everything to trigger the conditions and turn on the nemesis crits, the damage was stupid 300-600 numbers all over the place. It was the first time that I was like, yeah I can just DPS-race Hades and win easily.

I hadn't been counting wins, that was my 10th.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Try zagreus bow, with artemis on main attack, rapid shot instead of charge shot, hunters mark, and any other crit effects. Get weak on special or dash or cast, get duo that makes you do more crit against weak targets.

Its insane. Easily the meltiest thing ever and really easy. Mobs melt so fast if you can swtich to whoever is marked. Get bouncy shot for even easier clear. 22 min is my fastest but I bet you could do a sub 20 run easy.

Anyway fully beat the game. It was a great time.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

God drat Guan You’d spear is rough. the healing attack sucks poo poo, but the special is pretty good especially with a knock away boon

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Is there something that makes trap projectiles go really slow? Excalibur? I know there's an enemy projectiles one but I don't have that

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mescal posted:

Is there something that makes trap projectiles go really slow? Excalibur? I know there's an enemy projectiles one but I don't have that

The Excalibur special makes a glowy shield that does this

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

indigi posted:

drat the Duo where every boon is guaranteed to be epic seems amazing. Too bad I got it from Charon’s shop outside the Hades fight

theoretically yeah but by the time you get it you've usually got most/all your main boons anyway

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The Excalibur special makes a glowy shield that does this

Another thing they don't say in the description! Do duos go up on higher heat? I just got one offered twice in a row after my first two boons

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Nah, you’re just lucky.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Duos don’t go up with heat but

1- they do have prerequisites you need to pick and the more you play the more you might gravitate towards this by mistake

2- there are skills that increase duo chance of spawning in the mirror you might be using

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how do I unlock Zeus and Demeter wtf

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Zeus: Talk to all the other gods until they talk about Zeus - this is made more likely by getting a Zeus boon early on and then getting other god boons for the rest of the run.

Demeter: Reach the epilogue. (Not the true ending, the epilogue, which comes later.) This is probably the one that takes the longest out of all of them.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 11, 2021

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Whew, got an unexpected Guan Yu clear. I had just noticed I hadn't even reached the surface with it (tried it twice - once got stomped pretty early on, another I got to Theseus and the Minotaur and they ripped right through my tiny healthbars in short order)... Varatha just so happened to come up with the bonus after that, so thought I'd just try and get to Hades for the achievement. I took the spiked collar with me for the whole ride to try and negate some of the health malus, and generally went for centaur hearts over poms.

Honestly, the health-leeching doesn't feel like it does much, even with upgraded spin attack to help (charge faster + study/pulse 40 damage)... it's just too small an amount of health gain and felt like an opportunity cost vs higher DPS with everything else. The run was carried mostly by Ares' epic doom proc on Special and a pretty well-upgraded Festive Fog I could quickly spam.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Whew, got an unexpected Guan Yu clear. I had just noticed I hadn't even reached the surface with it (tried it twice - once got stomped pretty early on, another I got to Theseus and the Minotaur and they ripped right through my tiny healthbars in short order)... Varatha just so happened to come up with the bonus after that, so thought I'd just try and get to Hades for the achievement. I took the spiked collar with me for the whole ride to try and negate some of the health malus, and generally went for centaur hearts over poms.

Honestly, the health-leeching doesn't feel like it does much, even with upgraded spin attack to help (charge faster + study/pulse 40 damage)... it's just too small an amount of health gain and felt like an opportunity cost vs higher DPS with everything else. The run was carried mostly by Ares' epic doom proc on Special and a pretty well-upgraded Festive Fog I could quickly spam.

I may try that. I think I get too cautious and try to rely on healing too much, when frankly you need to go heavy on Special and/or attack since the attack is like Excalibur-lite, very strong, while being a touch faster, with all that range.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you can get to the final boss with Guan Yu a good way to help with a clear is to whittle the mobs down to a single respawning spearman who you can farm for health. Kill for health, then wait for the shade to respawn, repeat.

I did a run last night for the sole intention of getting the butterfly to 30% and it ended up the most obnoxiously overpowered run ever by the end.

Just look at this - attack, supporting buffs and speed. Amazing. Picked up Exclusive Access pretty early on and that is a game changer.

Melted the final boss in something like 30 seconds / phase.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 11, 2021

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What are good casts for the shield’s Beowulf aspect? I’m on my first run with it and I picked up Aphrodite’s special. I load up 3 casts, shield charge the enemy, and they get knocked back out of range of my loaded casts. :(

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You basically want to time it so that you’re just out of range of the shield charge so the spells are doing the damage. It’s a good aspect but I never really got the hang of managing my charge range and not getting chipped to death by enemies.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I did a Guan Yu run and I was relying mostly on the regular attack and the dash attack rather than the spin, up until I hit elysium. At that point I got the second hammer and I had the fast charge spin + big high damage spin hammers (and I think an attack speed up from hermes?) And I was able to just spam gigantic spins for my main attack for the rest of the run.

The big spin hammer makes a big difference to how useful the attack is imo, because with that one spin can cover an entire crowd of mobs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Guan Yu's "Standard" build takes advantage of the fact that actually the Special attack is pretty drat good; the way special boons work mean that you actually can go an entire run buffing only the special with special hammers and do really well and pretend you are using a ranged weapon. Something like Charged Skewer + a boon that increases attack a lot and you are basically using the Bow.

The other build I have beaten a run with was getting Spin buffs really early and just abusing the spin. I think Massive Spin + Quick Spin was a pretty good combo; you get the timing down pretty quickly and can basically throw out giant projectiles. Holding > Dashing also throws it further than simply hold > release.

Of course both of these suffer from the Eternal Problem of the Spear, where you have no idea what hammer buffs you're gonna get until you've already made some choices that may not work that well with them (Or no usable buffs at all)

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

The run i decided to take guan-yu ended up being my tenth successful run. Which was a fun surprise for me because i wasnt expecting to win that run

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Last Celebration posted:

You basically want to time it so that you’re just out of range of the shield charge so the spells are doing the damage. It’s a good aspect but I never really got the hang of managing my charge range and not getting chipped to death by enemies.

does it work if you get the hammer that makes the shield charge a projectile?

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

The run i decided to take guan-yu ended up being my tenth successful run. Which was a fun surprise for me because i wasnt expecting to win that run

drat how did you have enough Titan blood by that point

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Dunno, chased a lot of the prophecies i guess

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

indigi posted:

does it work if you get the hammer that makes the shield charge a projectile?

I was gonna say “lol no that’s way too OP, it’s one of those things the game won’t let you do” and googled to make sure and umm yeah, it definitely works and looks pretty gross.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Trying to get better with the bow (Rama). Died to Lernie of all people at first.

But now I’ve found that dropping Shared Suffering on Theseus and Asterius is absolutely great fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really really wanted a run where I rolled Ares on the special. poo poo, honestly that might be the best thing for the hidden bow; you’re gonna poo poo damage no matter what +damage god you roll, the special hits a lot of people cause it’s meant to be weak, and you can even aim for Privileged Status easily since you already have doom as your first ailment.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Wildtortilla posted:

What are good casts for the shield’s Beowulf aspect? I’m on my first run with it and I picked up Aphrodite’s special. I load up 3 casts, shield charge the enemy, and they get knocked back out of range of my loaded casts. :(

The easiest nuke build is Dionysus, you get damage, huge AoE, and a support effect. His boons all play nicely too.

If you're good at dodging, the Curse of Drowning duo boon (Ares Curse of Agony + Poseidon Flood Shot) has the highest DPS in the game.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The hidden shield gives most casts the same AOE though? Festive Fog kinda sucks with it imho; it does more damage than the other cast in burst damage, but when the gimmick is that you immediately get your bloodstones back EXCEPT when using Festive Fog it’s pretty eh.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If you're going to use Dio with the Hidden Shield definitely go with Stygian Soul imo

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Aphrodite's cast is surprisingly good on Hera and Beo since they change how casts function.

Athena is also not bad for the same reason.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

The Gilgamesh gloves with Poseidon’s dash seems broken

e: ok the gloves with Poseidon and the hammer that gives you sturdy while attacking is definitely broken. I haven’t used a fountain or bought health yet just to see if I could and I’m about to walk into Theseus with 105/155 health lmao

indigi fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Isn't knockaway with a melee weapon... not what you want?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s a stuttered dash attack so you’ve already covered the distance it knocks them away by the time your next attack goes off, I was doing 900+ damage per dash not counting crits

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Zeus: Talk to all the other gods until they talk about Zeus - this is made more likely by getting a Zeus boon early on and then getting other god boons for the rest of the run.

Demeter: Reach the epilogue. (Not the true ending, the epilogue, which comes later.) This is probably the one that takes the longest out of all of them.

Doesn't Zeus' prerequisite also involve having him wanting to reconcile with Hades and getting the response? Which can take a while because of other dialogue clogging up Hades' dialogue.

Also I feel like Hypnos' honestly takes the longest. Potentially Patroclus' too, because you need to do the back and forth with Achilles, who has a lot of extra dialogue, and you still need to encounter Patroclus during a run. Orpheus doesn't have nearly as much dialogue to wade through.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Mescal posted:

Isn't knockaway with a melee weapon... not what you want?

It doesn't matter much how far you knock enemies away when you're doing like 5 dash strikes in a row and only trying to use normal attacks while youre dashes recharge :)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

If I use a loaded cast in a weapon, does it proc synergistic things, like the cast gives them a status effect, the attack does bonus against baddies with that status effect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Duo boons are good. I will gladly take a duo boon just for the chance I can sell it. Sometimes I'll sell the same duo boon twice in one run, good times. What's even better is when the duo boon is good and you would never sell it. As long as it's not Curse of Drowning, a boon so bad I wouldn't risk taking it even to sell it.

Mescal posted:

If I use a loaded cast in a weapon, does it proc synergistic things, like the cast gives them a status effect, the attack does bonus against baddies with that status effect?
Nope you lose the +50% Boiling Blood damage with no benefit. If it doesn't lodge the cast in an enemy then there's no bonus. Same goes for basic Dionysus/Ares casts.