Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008

stratdax posted:

There are a lot of variables to consider with over-forking your bike. The bike's geometry and sizing is built for a 130mm fork and 29" tire. Would a 150mm 29" tire even fit, or if it did would it completely gently caress up the bike's balance? It would certainly change head tube angle, BB height, reach, etc.
Here's a thread I found just so you can skim it and get to know what you're asking. I think best would be to buy a bike that's built for what you need, not try to Frankenstein your current bike.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/over-forking-the-new-fuse-and-compatability.1143231/

Good point, I'm only just scratching the surface and I was only thinking of the dollars and cents. The whole geometry component adds a whole other layer. One option would be to just get the same fork as the next trim level up, which would be the fox float 34 rhythm on the expert trim... but if I'm going to do that I might as well just get the expert bike to Suburban Dad's point as its only $500 difference.

Some stuff to think about about. Thanks for info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
20mm is usually OK for most MTBs I’d say. Bike will get slacker and reach shorten a bit. You can lower your stem to compensate this some. BB increase would probably be pretty negligible tbh, maybe 3-5mm. Theres a calculator around that will show you the geo changes. I don’t think youd need to worry about tire clearance btw. Its more limited by the width if the fork than the frame. Frame matters much more for the rear tire. I’d guess a 2.4 or 2.5 would be fine up front. They make all of these forks in 27.5 and 29 formats so just look for what your bike is made for. You can find in the spec what the offset is for your frame (eg 51mm)

That said, 150mm is a lot for a hardtail and not very common. If you’re really pushing a 150mm fork youre probably going to be putting the rear of the bike through a lot. I think 130-140mm is a nice sweet spot for a hardtail. Fox 36 forks are also pretty heavy and the 34 would be more in line with the bike you have. They are great forks. If you go this route, I’d look for a Performance or Performance Elite in good condition.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 7, 2021

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Recipe for max send: just roll with the recon for now and put in for a 130-140mm full suspension trail bike for next season or the one after.

But first sign up for a clinic if you haven’t already. And put away money for a trip out west.

Godspeed!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I rode 13 miles in some brutal heat yesterday, and I'm still not fully recovered. Still happy I got some time in the saddle, was my third time riding last week which is perfect for me :)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Someone near me is selling a 2021 Trek Fuel EX 8 XT. I thought Trek no longer did an XT model of that bike and I can't find it specified on their site. Does this seem weird to anyone else?

Never mind - I see it does come with XT.

I'm considering picking it up.

Edit - he's selling it because it's not a good fit for his height, and he is the same height as me so I am passing. What a rollercoaster.

I really want to find an Ibis Ripley AF but each store employee just laughs when I ask if they have any in stock.

Buying literally anything in 2021 sucks.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 9, 2021

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Nocheez posted:

I rode 13 miles in some brutal heat yesterday, and I'm still not fully recovered.

Did a four hour ride in the heat a few weeks ago without being properly acclimated to it. I had plenty of water but my body wasn't processing it. Could feel it just sloshing around in my stomach while I got dehydrated.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I still don't know how I completed ORAMM a few years ago. 9+ hours in the saddle, just climbing or descending the entire time.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I made it over to Silver Mountain bike park yesterday. It was.... interesting. Compared to a modern bike park like Trestle it is very raw. The flow trails are pretty tech, there is a ton of loose rock, roots through the middle of flow berms, massive chatter break bumps, etc. All that said it was still fun and a cool trail system.

It is not very beginner friendly so I would not bring someone there if they are not solid. The resort is a bit strange as you have a small upper zone of ~500' vert runs. There is 2 green runs but they are pretty rough and raw for sure. A beginner would be struggling. The other part of the resort drops 3800' down to the city of Kellog. It has a cool green for beginners but it only goes 1/2 ish way down and then they have to be good on the blues. So a beginner is probably going to do some short runs and then ride the gondola back down.

The black "flow" trails were probably the best from a "being able to open it up" perspective.

It was INSANELY dry though. Some corners were so loose it was crazy. The chatter was intense, my hands have never hurt so much in my life. Overall though it was a fun place to ride if you know that it is not manicured like you would expect on flow trials.

The rental bike left a LOT to be desired. I rented from the mountain and I should have paid more for a local shop that had downhill bikes ($50 more was a lot though since I didn't expect the trails to be so raw). I think that an actual downhill bike would make a huge difference here. Maybe having my bike, setup my way would help too. It was real obvious that the mountain shop guys had no clue. Gave me a small and my GF a medium.... uhhh. Just picked a random bike the rack...so why did I provide you my weight and ride style? The fork was nice, Fox36, and I could compress it maybe 25%, high/low speed and rebound were all hosed. Grips were missing part of the grip, lovely pedals, shock was too stiff. Luckily I was able to try to adjust it as my buddy had a shock pump on him. So I tried to dial it in by feel and make some adjustments. I think this contributed a lot to the chatter I felt all day. I know not to expect too much but pretty annoying. Definitely did not leave a good impression about the Knolly Fugitive. It is actually probably a good bike just setup so poo poo that it rode like it.

TLDR: Silver Mountain is real raw but real fun and rental bike shop employees are bad.

E: also man are Shimano XT brakes WAY different than my Guide R. Getting used to that bite point was exciting!

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 9, 2021

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I bought a Canyon Neuron last year that came with as set of Reynolds tr309s. The rear hub mulched itself today and after looking online this seems like a problem that happens for a lot of people after 6 months of use, even after they have been warrantied and rebuilt. Shipping will be at least $50 to mail it in for warrenty work, plus the time waiting for it to fixed and returned.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether it is worth it to warranty it or just rebuild with a better hub? Any thoughts on what hub to use? I have hear DT Swiss hubs are well regarded.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
DT Swiss 350 hubs are basically the sweet spot of not too expensive for a wonderful hub that just sacrifices a little weight
I guess if you like really fast engagement then you'd want to upgrade the ratchet in them which is like another $120 but you don't have to

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If building a wheel, Id go 350s or Hydra hubs.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Levitate posted:

DT Swiss 350 hubs are basically the sweet spot of not too expensive for a wonderful hub that just sacrifices a little weight
I guess if you like really fast engagement then you'd want to upgrade the ratchet in them which is like another $120 but you don't have to

vikingstrike posted:

If building a wheel, Id go 350s or Hydra hubs.

Ok, I was leaning that way. With the cost of mailing them in once or twice a year it seemed easier and cheaper to just upgrade and build them back up myself.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
If you go with 350s - they’re great! - find the older style. The new EXP ones have some issues with the ratchet system. DT has supposedly fixed them, but there isn’t much reason not to get the older ones.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Bud Manstrong posted:

If you go with 350s - they’re great! - find the older style. The new EXP ones have some issues with the ratchet system. DT has supposedly fixed them, but there isn’t much reason not to get the older ones.

I thought EXP was only for the 240's and 180's? They redid the 350's too but I thought it was basically just to make them like the old 240s

e: this says still star ratchet and not the new EXP system
https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/12/new-dt-swiss-350-hubs-get-lighter-faster-performance-still-with-star-ratchets/

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Levitate posted:

I thought EXP was only for the 240's and 180's? They redid the 350's too but I thought it was basically just to make them like the old 240s

e: this says still star ratchet and not the new EXP system
https://bikerumor.com/2021/04/12/new-dt-swiss-350-hubs-get-lighter-faster-performance-still-with-star-ratchets/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

My next wheel build will use onyx hubs. Silent and fast engagement but pricey.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

My next wheel build will use onyx hubs. Silent and fast engagement but pricey.

Who wants silent? Gimme that machine gun hockey card in the spokes sounds.
I have Hope Pro 4 on my bike. :p

dema
Aug 13, 2006

KILLA BEES.

Got Chris King on the roadie and Phil Wood on the CX. My MTB is the only one without a loud hub and it makes me sad.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

stratdax posted:

Who wants silent? Gimme that machine gun hockey card in the spokes sounds.
I have Hope Pro 4 on my bike. :p

Me, obviously

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
In currently suffering from a delusion. There is an XC race at one of the trails I frequent and I am considering signing up for the class 3/citizen/beer class race. It's only 12 mi but I went out this past weekend to test my might and I was still 10 minutes slower than the slowest time in that class from last year's race.

I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least the past 10 years, but I am still 255 lbs (down from 310, though). I should probably wait until next year, right? Save myself the entry fee, right? It'd be foolish to enter this year, right?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Depends on what you feel like your goal is and what joy or fun you'd find in it?

Just participating in the race might be fun even if you know you're going to finish last or something, but if being competitive in some sense is important to you then yeah maybe skip this year if you're not feeling great about it.

Just doing a race can be fun if you're not worrying about where you'd place and stuff like that but if it's gonna upset you then don't put that stress on yourself

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
I'd definitely be going into it knowing I'd come in last. It would mostly be a personal pride thing, a nice little cap to highlight my own progress (even though I am still pretty novice). It would be cool to be competitive for that last spot at the least but getting mad at coming in last just isn't me. I'd just be happy to be there.

Waiting a year would be the wise move for sure. Jumping in now, though, would be so uncharacteristic of me that it might be fun.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Do it! meet some cool people, get some swag, drink a beer. Go for a PR. If you are having fun who cares what your place is.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Do it (and post a report here)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Do it! meet some cool people, get some swag, drink a beer. Go for a PR. If you are having fun who cares what your place is.

This.

Do It. Go race. Doesn't matter if you don't win, do it for the fun.
Then :justpost: about it

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Steak posted:

In currently suffering from a delusion. There is an XC race at one of the trails I frequent and I am considering signing up for the class 3/citizen/beer class race. It's only 12 mi but I went out this past weekend to test my might and I was still 10 minutes slower than the slowest time in that class from last year's race.

I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life, or at least the past 10 years, but I am still 255 lbs (down from 310, though). I should probably wait until next year, right? Save myself the entry fee, right? It'd be foolish to enter this year, right?

First of all, just being at the point of BSOML is great, good on you for getting to that point. I think it really comes down to you, and how you want to approach the race. If you are super competitive and think getting a low time would throw you off or discourage you, then dont enter. If you can handle losing, then I'd give it a try!

I went into a local race two years ago with the idea that I would lose, had a blast, and met some people that I now regularly ride with. I've gotten faster riding with them since then, and having people to chase definitely helped with that. Making your own progress can be nice, but for me at least, it can be hard to know in the moment whether or not I am on pace for a better time, and hjow well I can keep up is a pretty immediate way of telling whether I'm going faster than normal or not.

As a teaacher as well, having those lower end scores as part of that record of your abilities is actually pretty nice and useful! Its easier to have a baseline to develop and work, especially if you already feel like you are going all out. Plus it can help you establish realistic and achievable goals!

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Steak posted:

I'd definitely be going into it knowing I'd come in last. It would mostly be a personal pride thing, a nice little cap to highlight my own progress (even though I am still pretty novice). It would be cool to be competitive for that last spot at the least but getting mad at coming in last just isn't me. I'd just be happy to be there.

Waiting a year would be the wise move for sure. Jumping in now, though, would be so uncharacteristic of me that it might be fun.

Do it. And then choose a race distance that makes you nervous and do that race as a follow up. I grew up athletic and competitive (mostly in running), but have no visions of grandeur about winning any MTB races. I just do distances that make me question my own sanity halfway through, and when I finish I feel great regardless of placement.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also races are essentially just supported rides. My gf and I did a road century two years ago as her first century and it was nice to have sag and aid stations. Go for it!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

What's the worst that could happen? Go race and give it a go.

Also, while I like the idea of a silent pair of hubs I do worry about the risk of surprising a bear at speed.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I've been thinking about getting a timber bell style thing mostly for hikers and people going the other way on 2-way trails, hub noise doesn't carry very far anyways.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I've been thinking about getting a timber bell style thing mostly for hikers and people going the other way on 2-way trails, hub noise doesn't carry very far anyways.

I consider this as well. haven't done it for....reasons...I guess.

Steak
Dec 9, 2005

Pillbug
Ok so I'm seeing a lot of support for doing it. I think I might. I'm gonna do one more trial ride at the trail in the next few days and see how I feel.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What's the worst that could happen? Go race and give it a go.

The literal worst thing I can think of happening is I don't have fun for some reason and consider the entry fee a waste of money.

i flunked out posted:

If you can handle losing, then I'd give it a try!

I went into a local race two years ago with the idea that I would lose, had a blast, and met some people that I now regularly ride with. I've gotten faster riding with them since then, and having people to chase definitely helped with that. Making your own progress can be nice, but for me at least, it can be hard to know in the moment whether or not I am on pace for a better time, and hjow well I can keep up is a pretty immediate way of telling whether I'm going faster than normal or not.

Buddy, I was born to lose. But really, I'm 100% with you on not knowing how I'm doing on my ride. 90% of my rides are alone so the only measure of progress are my Strava times after the fact. No idea in the moment, really. No idea where I could be pushing myself more either. I think this could be a fun litmus test on where I'm at as a rider.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Do they make a timber bell that can do the dangly ring but also serve as a normal bell when “locked”? Does the timber bell do this?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

vikingstrike posted:

Do they make a timber bell that can do the dangly ring but also serve as a normal bell when “locked”? Does the timber bell do this?

I think the timber is either dingle dangle or no noise. I think it locks the tonsil thingy.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Steak posted:

It's only 12 mi but I went out this past weekend to test my might and I was still 10 minutes slower than the slowest time in that class from last year's race.

Do it.

In fact, you just inspired me to lookup local XC racing. There's one on the other side of town tomorrow night and I signed up for it. First race in four or five years.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Steak posted:

Buddy, I was born to lose. But really, I'm 100% with you on not knowing how I'm doing on my ride. 90% of my rides are alone so the only measure of progress are my Strava times after the fact. No idea in the moment, really. No idea where I could be pushing myself more either. I think this could be a fun litmus test on where I'm at as a rider.
Go race! It's fun and you learn a lot every time you enter.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
when a bike is involved, if you're not sure you should do something it means you should do it

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Steak posted:

Honestly, just talking about it made me go sign up for a local race with my moms husband. I'm about to get my rear end kicked by a 65 yo who is in better shape than I ever have been.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Steak posted:

loving do it your coward! (no but seriously just register, practice the loop and make friends/drink beers on the day of).

dema posted:

In fact, you just inspired me to lookup local XC racing. There's one on the other side of town tomorrow night and I signed up for it. First race in four or five years.
HELL yeah

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

loving do it your coward! (no but seriously just register, practice the loop and make friends/drink beers on the day of).

Is it really necessary to practice an XC loop? I guess if you're riding anyways why not. As a kid I signed up for an XC race because I was already doing dual slalom and downhill at the same event and figured I'd go test the track a few hours before the race started and I came back basically as they were starting - whoops.