Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

People wishing it was Omerta is weird, because Omerta was trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even this thread had a bit of "wow finally a follow-up to Gangsters to put the bad XCOM clones to rest" but it was dispelled with the demo. You do have to wonder about a parallel universe where it's called City of Bootleggers or something similarly corny like Bootleg Empire because the gang activities like extortion and street fights seem like an appendix.

As much as I like the idea of Gangsters I'm very happy COG focuses on doing one thing really well instead of having a dozen things that work middlingly.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
While a lot of gangster sims focus way too much on the combat, I feel like it's reasonable to expect a 1920's gangster game to have some form of interesting violence. It kind of goes hand in hand with the setting. If you're going to pitch the idea of playing as someone like Al Capone, people are going to want to be someone like Al Capone.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
CoG demo was fun. I don't like management games where you are a single actor, doing the activities, so I'm hoping you can automate some of that as you grow your gang.

I didn't play Gangsters until many years later, well into the 2000s and I bounced off it hard. I loved the idea of the game, I remember the advertising in magazines being very similar to the Impression city builder ads. It sucks when you want to play a game for a decade, and it is just too old and clunky to play. I purchased it on GoG at some point, but I don't think I've ever played more than 3 minutes of it.

To me, it seems like adding the XCOM style tactical fights is a bad idea for this style of game. I think that's why Omerta and EoS aren't particularly well received. I wasn't a big fan of the new XCOM games, I thought they were too "small" compared to the 90s ones, but I had fun with the first one.

I'll probably need to give EoS a real go, I might pick it up on switch if it gets cheap enough. I hope CoG turns out fun, and focuses on a narrow window of systems that it highly tunes, rather than jamming 2~4 genres together and calling it good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Ragnorum

Just a warning for anyone who wants to play this: failure spirals are frequent, and often completely unpredictable. This is ok if you're a masochist, or if you only play for several hours so that you can enjoy having your entire colony crushed in about one minute by a threat you never knew could be possible. There's also several distinctly unfun things, imo, like the obnoxiously bad karma based RNG event chooser, which gives you choices like:

• A colonist spends the next two full days making GBS threads themselves and being unproductive. Someone else must crush their turds before they become turd golems.
  • You get Space Smallpox and everyone is going to die but we'll give you a candy bar which will add like 0.1 days of food, cool right?
  • If you have enough karma, that colonist in the first choice only shits themselves for a single day instead of two.
  • Skip, which you are allowed once per game.

I genuinely wish there were difficulty settings because that chooser aspect is such an obnoxious and unnecessary thing, and it feels like it only exists to punish you. You can spend research on mitigating it, but then you have less research time for other, more important things, like how to make sticks.

I really, really want to like this game, but it goes out of its way to punish you for wanting to play suboptimally, where only it ever knows what optimal actually is.

I spent several hours making what I felt like was an actually sustainable and decent setup, before a bunch of humanzees rolled in to attack. Fortunately, having dealt with this before, I was able to beat them only losing a couple colonists. Then an alpha humanzee shows up, and I manage to beat it at the cost of half of my people.

Then like five more alphas show up and just loving steamroll me and at that point I just wanted to scream. What the hell was even the point?

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 10, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone actually gotten to the mid/late-game of City of Gangsters and could tell me what it looks like?
Because I'm gonna be honest, from what I've seen it looks like one of those boring rear end space games where you fly back and forth buying and selling random trash.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Takanago posted:

While a lot of gangster sims focus way too much on the combat, I feel like it's reasonable to expect a 1920's gangster game to have some form of interesting violence. It kind of goes hand in hand with the setting. If you're going to pitch the idea of playing as someone like Al Capone, people are going to want to be someone like Al Capone.

nah, if you're going to have a little bit of violence, then it's gonna creep in and be half the game and then the spreadsheet half of the game is broken up by the turn based tommy gun spraying half of the game. something like this could work if it were focused in scope like a turn based heist game where you weren't the top boss, because its always weird shifting from doing the bootlegging to being the guy on the scene shooting at cops

Grevlek posted:

CoG demo was fun. I don't like management games where you are a single actor, doing the activities, so I'm hoping you can automate some of that as you grow your gang.

I didn't play Gangsters until many years later, well into the 2000s and I bounced off it hard. I loved the idea of the game, I remember the advertising in magazines being very similar to the Impression city builder ads. It sucks when you want to play a game for a decade, and it is just too old and clunky to play. I purchased it on GoG at some point, but I don't think I've ever played more than 3 minutes of it.

1998 gangsters had some good ideas but some poor execution. the entire procgen city and thousands of citizens was wildly extravagant for the time, and the whole buying fronts to mask your illegal businesses worked pretty well

the game was deeply unbalanced though in terms of scope, crew management, and time. you were locked to 8 groups of 10 gangsters max, so 80 gangsters to do all your business. this sounds like a lot except the city itself was way too large to cover with 80 people so you'd have to focus, imagine only being able to meaningfully extract protection money from a few dozen city blocks at max.

combat was also not great. you'd set up your orders for the whole week then go into a real time with pause cityscape view. you couldn't redirect your orders, if your gangsters got off track for the week then they'd not get anything done. attacks were disruptive because your guys could get into a gunfight on monday then once it was done, they'd head back to the safehouse and knock off for the rest of the week

the game also suffered from extreme stat creep where every gangster had like a dozen different stats, measured on a five star basis with half stars allowed. skill checks took all gangsters on a team into account so you'd have to juggle your teams and their stats to specialize them for the task, like having just one nerd along on the bruiser intimidation squad would tank their effectiveness, so if you wanted to give them a vehicle to do collections quicker you'd have to find a tough looking goon who was also a good driver. just real micro hell and very 90s style design, just because you CAN track a kajillion stats doesn't mean you SHOULD

i like city of gangsters because it is in some ways a distant spiritual successor to 1998 gangsters, just with a lot of the cruft and bad decisions filed out of it while retaining the more interesting aspects (huge procgen cities, property management, goon management, a social layer, bribing cops)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jack Trades posted:

Has anyone actually gotten to the mid/late-game of City of Gangsters and could tell me what it looks like?
Because I'm gonna be honest, from what I've seen it looks like one of those boring rear end space games where you fly back and forth buying and selling random trash.

It depends on your definition of boring but it's looking to be more like Anno where you are setting up automated trade routes of increasing complexity while managing more businesses/employees as you expand and trying to stay afloat while dodging the police/other rival organizations. You will be running back and forth to do a lot though before you can get stuff automated, so if you want exciting combat and action instead of exciting numbers and intense labor management you can probably safely skip this one.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

nah, if you're going to have a little bit of violence, then it's gonna creep in and be half the game and then the spreadsheet half of the game is broken up by the turn based tommy gun spraying half of the game. something like this could work if it were focused in scope like a turn based heist game where you weren't the top boss, because its always weird shifting from doing the bootlegging to being the guy on the scene shooting at cops
I'm not saying that a gangster game needs to go full Empire of Sin and have a whole tactical mode, (and really it shouldn't) but imo it's an important part of the whole Gangster conceit to be able to do a Saint Valentine's Day Massacre. Maybe it can just auto-resolve behind the scenes, that's fine, but sending out a bunch of guys with tommy guns to do bloody acts of violence is a cornerstone of people's idea of the gangster era

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Just a warning for anyone who wants to play this: failure spirals are frequent, and often completely unpredictable. This is ok if you're a masochist, or if you only play for several hours so that you can enjoy having your entire colony crushed in about one minute by a threat you never knew could be possible. There's also several distinctly unfun things, imo, like the obnoxiously bad karma based RNG event chooser, which gives you choices like:

• A colonist spends the next two full days making GBS threads themselves and being unproductive. Someone else must crush their turds before they become turd golems.
  • You get Space Smallpox and everyone is going to die but we'll give you a candy bar which will add like 0.1 days of food, cool right?
  • If you have enough karma, that colonist in the first choice only shits themselves for a single day instead of two.
  • Skip, which you are allowed once per game.

I genuinely wish there were difficulty settings because that chooser aspect is such an obnoxious and unnecessary thing, and it feels like it only exists to punish you. You can spend research on mitigating it, but then you have less research time for other, more important things, like how to make sticks.

I really, really want to like this game, but it goes out of its way to punish you for wanting to play suboptimally, where only it ever knows what optimal actually is.

I spent several hours making what I felt like was an actually sustainable and decent setup, before a bunch of humanzees rolled in to attack. Fortunately, having dealt with this before, I was able to beat them only losing a couple colonists. Then an alpha humanzee shows up, and I manage to beat it at the cost of half of my people.

Then like five more alphas show up and just loving steamroll me and at that point I just wanted to scream. What the hell was even the point?

There is a difficulty option to disable the random events, when you're staring a new game choose Zenlike - it's the same otherwise, it just has no random daily event store (It's the mode I'm playing on now!). As far as I can tell there aren't "raids" on this mode but occasionally an angry animal wanders in, and there are some dumb bullshit things that can still happen - like, my colony of 6 got pretty beat up by some raiders and murder hornets while farming up influence from objectives, and I was out of food and everyone was hungry - so I ordered Launch #4 to come and deliver a new colonist (required for every launch) and two giant crates of food. Okay cool, everything lands - then right as I start looting up all the food the colonist turned into a Rogue Colonist and just killed everyone and I lost.

I'm on my 4th colony now and I think I kind of get it now? I know how to choose a landing spot that doesn't make me spend 4 entire days just getting some wood to build a room (dead trees can be harvested fast without an axe) and that has food nearby and mineables. It sort of seems like the difficulty varies widely with different planets. Some planets have more threatening wildlife and very little other food available, others just have weak little murder hornets and are covered in mushrooms and berry bushes. I haven't even seen a Humanzee. But of course none of that is indicated in-game anywhere. I'm having fun with it still but I am the kind of player who just restarts colony sims over and over during normal play so I don't mind the failure spirals so much

And to be fair, Rimworld is full of bullshit game-ending events that you can't predict until the first time you see them too, like infestations.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 10, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Takanago posted:

I'm not saying that a gangster game needs to go full Empire of Sin and have a whole tactical mode, (and really it shouldn't) but imo it's an important part of the whole Gangster conceit to be able to do a Saint Valentine's Day Massacre. Maybe it can just auto-resolve behind the scenes, that's fine, but sending out a bunch of guys with tommy guns to do bloody acts of violence is a cornerstone of people's idea of the gangster era

I mean you can do exactly this but it's Civilization style combat so you stack your dudes up on the same corner as the other guy and initiate combat and a dice roll determines how much everybody gets hurt.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Takanago posted:

i see the appeal, because thats very much a curated part of the prohibition gangster image. but if you're going to have that and do it justice, then you've got to invest development time in adding the resources necessary for third person cutscenes, and wouldn't it just be easier if we ran the cutscenes in-engine as part of some game space where you can actually move the avatars around...

for a game like city of gangsters, you'd pretty much just show it as a popup with some static art and thats a bit underwhelming. plus, if you can do it to your rivals, then they can do it to you, then you've got to reengineer the game to protect against sudden coups de main like a bunch of guys rolling up on your hideout, or else you'll get a sudden and unearned game over. or what implications does it have for you running around doing your business and loading stone crocks when you suddenly get drive-by'd? for all i know this could be later in the game, i haven't really gotten to the point where i'm fighting other outfits. i'm guessing a lot of the complaints about how the game doesn't have enough action want that action to be up front and graphic - something like the valentines day massacre was rare and a serious step

also tangentially, i dont think they should add drugs or prostitution either. drugs would just replicate the same gameplay loops as the bootlegging, and drugs were not as important to the time period as hooch anyway (more important than many people realize, but still not nearly as popular as selling alcohol). i can't see these devs wanting to touch the sex work side of things, sex trafficking and sexual exploitation are real controversial subjects to add in (and have the player profit from) for a game which is low key gender neutral

explosivo posted:

I mean you can do exactly this but it's Civilization style combat so you stack your dudes up on the same corner as the other guy and initiate combat and a dice roll determines how much everybody gets hurt.

right, my hunch is that some people would prefer to see the cool machine gunning rather than it just being draining health bars and a popup report on what happened

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

explosivo posted:

Sure, or it could be slightly more visual novel style. You send out your goons, and you can give them 1~4 types of orders. The event can then happen, you make a choice what to do on a spectrum of business-violence, and then the impact of that activity spreads out?

Shadow Empire does an okay job of this, and I think rich story based choices with some randomized simulation could engage the setting very well.

You could even do the after action report as like a newspaper headline! 'SAMMY'S BOYS SLAUGHTER SEASIDE SLACKERS!!!'

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Grevlek posted:

Sure, or it could be slightly more visual novel style. You send out your goons, and you can give them 1~4 types of orders. The event can then happen, you make a choice what to do on a spectrum of business-violence, and then the impact of that activity spreads out?

Yeah I touched on this before as kind of as a sore spot for me, I do wish there was more or better writing OR just have none at all. You're often clicking giant bricks of text that are exactly the same as the other bricks of text to get through the conversation so you can ask about expanding your business or whatever. They could find thematic ways to make the various interactions with other people like combat more interesting for sure and that is definitely a legitimate beef I have with the game as of now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

deep dish peat moss posted:

There is a difficulty option to disable the random events, when you're staring a new game choose Zenlike - it's the same otherwise, it just has no random daily event store (It's the mode I'm playing on now!). As far as I can tell there aren't "raids" on this mode but occasionally an angry animal wanders in, and there are some dumb bullshit things that can still happen - like, my colony of 6 got pretty beat up by some raiders and murder hornets while farming up influence from objectives, and I was out of food and everyone was hungry - so I ordered Launch #4 to come and deliver a new colonist (required for every launch) and two giant crates of food. Okay cool, everything lands - then right as I start looting up all the food the colonist turned into a Rogue Colonist and just killed everyone and I lost.

I'm on my 4th colony now and I think I kind of get it now? I know how to choose a landing spot that doesn't make me spend 4 entire days just getting some wood to build a room (dead trees can be harvested fast without an axe) and that has food nearby and mineables. It sort of seems like the difficulty varies widely with different planets. Some planets have more threatening wildlife and very little other food available, others just have weak little murder hornets and are covered in mushrooms and berry bushes. I haven't even seen a Humanzee. But of course none of that is indicated in-game anywhere. I'm having fun with it still but I am the kind of player who just restarts colony sims over and over during normal play so I don't mind the failure spirals so much

And to be fair, Rimworld is full of bullshit game-ending events that you can't predict until the first time you see them too, like infestations.

I eventually found zenlike and used it, that was the run where the loving humanzee horde did me in.

RimWorld definitely has some bad situations, but even if your colony is totally ransacked and everyone is killed or kidnapped, you can wait long enough and someone will wander onto the colony, allowing you to start fresh, or at least to tell them that it's time to take what you can and leave the map to settle elsewhere if your original area is now overrun with space bugs. You're also able to change the actual storyteller difficulty in game, instead of having your choices be "bullshit" and "even more bullshit," which is nice if you absolutely need breathing room.

I've actually been doing Randy Tough difficulty Naked And Alone scenarios, without rerolling, and even if I get wiped out I still enjoy it because it was likely something I definitely could have or should have foreseen, or at least something I could have tried to run from.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

explosivo posted:

Yeah I touched on this before as kind of as a sore spot for me, I do wish there was more or better writing OR just have none at all. You're often clicking giant bricks of text that are exactly the same as the other bricks of text to get through the conversation so you can ask about expanding your business or whatever. They could find thematic ways to make the various interactions with other people like combat more interesting for sure and that is definitely a legitimate beef I have with the game as of now.
I'm not saying this is the right way to do this or leave it, but the routine conversations are instantly scannable by icon. I played a couple hours last night and basically stopped reading after the first hour, except to scan quest text. My brain definitely leans toward abusing scanning though and I know not everyone can do that.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

zedprime posted:

I'm not saying this is the right way to do this or leave it, but the routine conversations are instantly scannable by icon. I played a couple hours last night and basically stopped reading after the first hour, except to scan quest text. My brain definitely leans toward abusing scanning though and I know not everyone can do that.

I do that as well. It's tough because I think the results of your decisions need to be wrung thru the simulation, not based on what you choose.

Stellaris has some decent writing, but since the choices always have the same result, and typically one option is optimal compared to the others, you just kind of do the same thing each time.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've played a lot of Kingdoms Reborn so I'll do an effort post.

This game is basically Banished like other people have said. The card system seems interesting and limiting at first but quickly falls apart in the early game. You get a new card every 60 seconds or whatever and every 5 unused cards becomes a wild card you can use for anything. When you tech up your town hall twice, I think, it allows Wild Cards to show up in the normal draw for 5 gold, which is nothing. A later building also allows you to straight make them using paper and suddenly you don't have to mess with the card system unless you want a non-building card that provides some kind of bonus. They don't show up very often though and the ones you choose from tech ups or from completing objectives are much better. The special cards are only a one time thing though so think carefully about which one you want since the others disappear forever. Some are stupid good in the beginning, like the +50 gold one, but become obsolete pretty fast.

When choosing a starting spot make sure there is plenty of buildable area with access to tress, some stone or a mountain and hopefully a river. A river allows you to build really strong farms and clay pits. Clay pits and pottery is the best early game luxury since all it requires is a river and pottery sells for a good profit. Your initial bottlenecks will be food and wood with medicine and stone coming soon after. I would suggest making the medicinal herbs tech your first one since you'll run out of medicine fast and people will start dropping like flies. Especially so if you build poo poo on jungle.

Luxuries are a bitch and will be your main problem for most of the game. Luxuries are how your homes upgrade and I would have only 3 of each tier. You can have more and it makes your houses happier which gives you more gold and tech but providing them can be a major drain on resources with a small benefit. Happiness is nice but it isn't that important. Tier 1 resources will be your main bottleneck throughout the entire game. If you can find an area with cannabis and tulips its worth its weight in gold. The other 3 are pottery, beer, and furniture. If you have a river having pottery is non-negotiable. Beer is nice but its too easy to spend all you food on making beer and suddenly everyone is starving. I stay away from beer until I solve my food problems and have a large surplus. Furniture uses wood which can also be a major drain but people being cold is more manageable than people starving. Tier 2 and 3 luxuries are fairly easy to make by the time you need them. Usually you just need 1 luxury producing building for tier 2 and 3 and it doesn't need to be fully staffed to produce enough. By the time you're loving with tier 2 and 3 having enough houses and space will be your main problem.

You always want to have a few people who are doing nothing as runners. They are the ones that pick up and deliver goods to various areas. Even when you have a building that is purely for runners you still want a few unemployed people just in case. Otherwise your economy will grind to a halt as everyone has to do whatever random poo poo they need to do instead of harvesting a field or whatever. Eventually you get logistical buildings that help with this but having enough runners is still super important. Builders are pulled from the unemployed pool so doing a massive building project with a few unemployed is a bad idea. Wait until winter to build when fields and fruit gatherers shut down.

Food and medicine will be a problem until you can make bread and medicine from herbs. At that point your main problem will be holding all the loving food. I regularly have the problem after bread where I have 20k food and producing a surplus of thousands every year. To help with storage problems be sure to click the "produce until you have x" button. For most luxuries I set this to 300-500 depending on the size of my colony. Wood, stone, and fuel is set at 1,000 since its easy to burn though it all really fast. Having enough storage is also really important and a pain until you unlock granaries and warehouses.

To help with production there is the obvious advice of build industry near raw materials or in a centralized area in the center of town to make it easy for people to grab poo poo. The other way is with the building upgrades that give more production for x number of buildings. Usually 2, 4, 8. The main key here is the building does need to be built or staffed, just placing it down is enough to get the bonus. A good habit to get into is whenever you place an industrial building place a clone of it somewhere far away and turn off the building of it. Like most games its cheaper to import raw materials and produce something than just straight import it.

As your city grows the game starts to collapse under its own weight. I've seen people make it to 2,000 pop but my city starts to fall apart around 700. I'll have thousands of tier 1 resources but with how many resources your citizens need they suddenly find it hard to grab everything and I'll have "rolling blackouts" where large sections of my housing go from max level, 9 I think, back down to level 2 or 3 because they run out of tier 1 resources. It might also be because I provide my citizens more luxuries at that point than they need and it all just collapses but I don't care enough to dive deep into it.

Good city wide cards to have are the pottery one that gives science when houses have pottery, money when they have beer, and trading companies have a -10% trading fee. Trading companies are your main import/export vehicle since with all the bonuses you end up with a 5% fee instead of 15% for the trading post and port. Resource outposts are late game resource producers that are absurd in the amount they produce and don't need to be connected by a road or anything. The resources just show up in your storage. Your city can only claim territory 8 spaces from your town hall territory so plan accordingly when choosing a site. You also can't set a limit to their production so be careful when putting one down on things like cotton or dyes. You'll wind up with WAY more than you need and if you don't sell the excess suddenly all your storage is full. This game does have a supply and demand system so be wary of tanking the market with exports or importing to a scarcity. This is especially true of tools and luxuries.

Keep a close eye on your fuel, food, and medicine. The tracker only shows you the current consumption for the year including the month you are already in. Be wary of thinking you producing just enough at the start of the month only to learn you're running a large deficient. This is especially true late game when you have a large surplus of something, like food, and suddenly you don't have anymore and there is a mass die off event. Fuel, wood and coal, is especially insidious since your citizens don't use much of those anytime other than winter. You'll think you're fine because you're only using 100 coal a year until winter comes and you need 1,000.

If anyone has anymore questions I can try to answer them but I haven't played since the last major update a month or so ago. This game is also designed for multiplayer but I've never tried it. I would suggest not having a lot of computer players, if any, because they will expand and take resources from you or choose primo real estate in the beginning. The AI is also garbage and has a hell of a time producing any luxuries. It is funny to see massive empires with a thousand people all in tier 2 houses though. Computer players will sometimes gift you gold, usually only 100, and if your city is awesome enough a steady stream of immigrants will want to join you from them. It can really help when you build a lot of housing or had a mass die off event.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I finally have a pretty self sufficient homemade beer loop going on in CoG now, the big issue I was running into was that people only buy so much a week and there's only so many buyers so you eventually need to make a backdoor bootlegging operation. This gives me a place to drop off my excess beer I wasn't able to sell to a store to have bootlegged for a reduced price I think. I need a better supply of the grain to turn into malt but just about everything else in this loop is making money on its own which is pretty satisfying.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Grevlek posted:

I do that as well. It's tough because I think the results of your decisions need to be wrung thru the simulation, not based on what you choose.

Stellaris has some decent writing, but since the choices always have the same result, and typically one option is optimal compared to the others, you just kind of do the same thing each time.
I don't know if it gets more complex via later game quests but I think the first step to knowing if you want this game or not is to realize the relationship system is strictly transactional. You aren't really making decisions like Stellaris or Crusader Kings - you take the quest or you don't, you finish a failable quest or you don't, and you get the rewards when you finish. You've met someone or you haven't. There's traits but outside your crew it all distills to how their relationship bar responds to different stimulus or at what relationship level they make their buy and sell orders available. If there's something oversold in the Steam description it's probably this social bit.

It's all very modern boardgame design. If you told me this game started as an obscure indie boardgame that simulated one small neighborhood and they expanded it to a whole city I'd believe it. It's all the clockwork and trigger points and rule based fog of war melting straight from a solitaire boardgame.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Oh, Factory Town has a freeplay mode. I’ve just been doing the campaign(?) levels. I was wondering how that guy set the terrain to flat.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The first time I bribed a cop in City of Gangsters, they gave me a Winchester rifle from the evidence locker, gratis

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

toasterwarrior posted:

The first time I bribed a cop in City of Gangsters, they gave me a Winchester rifle from the evidence locker, gratis

speaking of which I massively overlooked the fact that you can get weapons from certain people for favors and it doesn't seem to take that much, my whole crew is kitted out with winchesters now and my head goon has a tommy gun I got from the police. If your guys are getting hit doing deliveries make sure to get them a gun or something this way.

I hate how many "HEY GIVE US MONEY" missions keep coming up. I think they're to open up new opportunities but when I have to bypass the opening conversation choice for the mission to get to the part where I can sell it's kinda annoying :(

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Hey, have you run into a bug where build orders aren't carried out?

I've had it happen twice now. First time it solved itself, but this time I'm proper stuck. It's hard to tell if all the wood is reserved though I have way more than I should need, or if the buildings are too complicated, or if the AI has just plain broken. They won't even make the "base" floor by itself. Restarting it didn't do anything, so it's some sort of problem with the game state.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 10, 2021

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

explosivo posted:

I hate how many "HEY GIVE US MONEY" missions keep coming up. I think they're to open up new opportunities but when I have to bypass the opening conversation choice for the mission to get to the part where I can sell it's kinda annoying :(

Motherfuckers are asking for like 1k a pop, drat. Don't push your luck with the boss

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bounced off Factory Town so hard I refunded it

Tried again a few days later in a better frame of mind am enjoying it, it's pretty chill and fun to watch your little town grow--I really appreciate being able to control the different planes of conveyors and roads

Just hit the third campaign, looking forward to trying to keep my lil village clean and orderly as opposed to the giant mess map 2 had. I could barely staff my producing buildings and just abandoned the entire wood / clothing industry to squeak by and finish the sandwich goal

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Evil Genius 2 just patched.

quote:

This update focuses on quality-of-life improvements and bug fixes, and comes with a new Quality of Life Survey for our community to provide feedback on key focus areas of Evil Genius 2.

With this update, Traps no longer take passive Durability damage. Instead, Traps take a hit to their Durability only when they are triggered, and this is a flat Durability hit regardless of how many characters are caught in that activation. For example, a Pinball Bumper may be struck by multiple characters (or the same character repeatedly) on a single activation, but this results in only a single drop in Durability. A few oddities in pathfinding have been cleared up, so your minions will no longer take the long way around to avoid Paywalls, and we've significantly reduced the cost of all Traps, easing the impact to your Vault when building more elaborate Trap networks.

In general, where a character looks like they are wearing something which should offer protection from gasses (a gas-mask, respirator, or maybe they just don’t have lungs at all) then they are now unaffected by gas clouds that would cause damage from breathing in. These characters will still be affected if the gas is corrosive or magical in nature, and will still be effected by beneficial gas-based effects.

IRIS is always eager to keep you informed of goings on across your Lair, but sometimes she can be a little too keen, resulting in repeated notifications for events you're well aware of. We've made adjustments here, toning down some of the less important audible alerts, and will continue to monitor this in the weeks ahead.

Finally, inactive Regions on the World Map can be more easily identified from the fully zoomed out view, where idle Criminal Networks will display a visual effect, and Achievement hunters should have a slightly easier time following this update, as acquiring the Prometheus Flame no longer locks out the Hubbard Slice for that campaign.

Over the past few months our community team has also been gathering feedback from a variety of spaces, we’re really grateful for all of our players who engage with us and each other on the forums and social platforms so that we can understand the sentiment coming from our community.

https://www.reddit.com/r/evilgenius/comments/p1petl/patch_v170_evil_genius_2_quality_of_life_survey/

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

smarxist posted:

I had a troublemaker territory with no troublemaker in it and the territory hung out for a few turns before disappearing, so it may just take a bit of time for it to go away if there's nobody left running it

I had this too and i went there and thier hideout was in red. Turns out you can check the hideouts for loot.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

yeah, in the CoG universe you bribe a cop in the street and he just immediately hands you a pistol. no wonder there is no violence in this game, everyone is afraid to start shooting because the police are distributing weapons

explosivo posted:

these quests are usually worth it in the end, i haven't done them all but you end up getting something of equivalent value to the cash cost. i've gotten buildings, cars, or just more cash than i gave them immediately refunded. i think its a way to guide the player's growth in certain directions in case they are overwhelmed by decisions

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

City of Gangsters is kind of cool but I'm not sure I really understand it yet. Am I hurting myself if I just sit around passing turns waiting for production to complete? So far I'm making a shitload of money off of my protection racket but I've been afraid of just waiting around for production because I don't know if something bad will happen.

Donnerberg posted:

Hey, have you run into a bug where build orders aren't carried out?

I've had it happen twice now. First time it solved itself, but this time I'm proper stuck. It's hard to tell if all the wood is reserved though I have way more than I should need, or if the buildings are too complicated, or if the AI has just plain broken. They won't even make the "base" floor by itself. Restarting it didn't do anything, so it's some sort of problem with the game state.

I've had one build order that just wouldn't complete, yeah. I don't remember what the deal was or how I got around it though :( I've noticed that colonists have really bad ideas of their own on how to prioritize tasks so raising some of their priorities on the task board helps, I've been bumping one up to higher Research priority, one to higher Foraging/Gathering priority, and one to higher House/Furniture building priority and it speeds things up a lot.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 11, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I need to look at protection rackets more because I keep getting a skunked start on producing anything, either I get a decent start with my home base producing an ingredient I can make into booze w/ crocks and no buyers, or i have tons of buyers and I can't get the raw ingredients lol

this start would have been amazing if I had even ONE neutral alcohol seller or apple juice seller near me, but after exploring like 20 blocks around me newp

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
CoG so far is mostly about collecting money through production and extortion so you can expand the number of corners you control. eventually you'll want to just be making lots of money and holding your territory if not pushing into rival turf. i think it is possible to be peaceful but not guaranteed. basically your main priority should be setting up fronts and expanding as much as you can

just did one of those "oh no! we'll lose the farm if we don't have $1000" missions and the reward was "hooray! the farm is saved! our family collected some booze for you to sell (brick wine x 45, hard cider x 45, homemade beer x 45, moonshine x 20)

god drat if yall had all this poo poo on hand why did you need my thousand bucks

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took the Protection Racket perk at the beginning and so far I can just easily ask everyone I know for protection money and they're happy to pay, but I've been spending my turns just driving around exchanging favors for connections so I'm connected to everyone I'm extorting

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

In situations where you can't get the ingredient you need to start production, somewhere there's a mission out there nearby that will be somebody who's like "ain't got beer operation up and running, huh? well bring me some crocks and I'll give you a stack of what you need" and it's a repeatable quest. Just exchangin' crocks for goods.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

smarxist posted:

I need to look at protection rackets more because I keep getting a skunked start on producing anything, either I get a decent start with my home base producing an ingredient I can make into booze w/ crocks and no buyers, or i have tons of buyers and I can't get the raw ingredients lol

this start would have been amazing if I had even ONE neutral alcohol seller or apple juice seller near me, but after exploring like 20 blocks around me newp

its worth rerolling a couple times until you get a decent start. you dont have to minmax it, if you play it through and do quests then opportunities will open up

protection racket is a useful perk because even if you get a rough start you can just rob everyone in the neighborhood constantly for operating cash while you get your booze networks set up

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah, there are enormous swings in how easy the game is right at the start. I just started a new game in Pittsburgh, my starting building produces grape concentrate, had a huge stockpile of brick wine, hard cider and moonshine, and the business owner on literally the same corner as me is willing to buy nearly 100 of each. I made $1170 on turn #1 without moving from my starting space.

But the first several games I started in any city were basically just a lot of driving around chasing profit selling to shops that would want to buy like 2 bottles of one thing per day.

edit: Lmao I literally got raided on turn 4 just from selling to this guy and lost $500

And I got raided again on turn 9 and then again on turn 12 and 16. Okay maybe you don't want a start this good. I haven't even been doing anything illegal for the past 12 turns but now they're keeping 2 squad cars circling around my corner and arresting me on no charges every few days. But i finally got a connection to one of them and bribed them so :shrug: $200 for 250 days of no police activity. This has probably been the most engaging string of events I've run into in the game so far

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 11, 2021

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
That's actually cool to build that much notoriety because of a lucky start.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a lot of City of Gangsters today and I can safely say this game is a shitload of fun. There is an initial hump of having to do everything yourself that as most of us have found out is heavily dependent on your starting position but once you can get one driver and a truck you can start using that to make your life easier. Set up a driver doing a loop of picking up your main export and selling it, then returning home for more, then selling to the next place, and so on. The route creation tools are weird and missing some things like a duplicate function BUT it does handily shows which stops are already on the route you're editing so it's easy to hit every one of the potential sell points. If you're having trouble getting somewhat regular exports then extort everyone you can in your area and set up a driver to do a loop picking up all the cash and bringing it home.

Once you are getting money flowing in essentially passively it gives you more time to find new places to expand to, pick fights with the neighbors, help move goods to expedite the process or replenish stocks, etc. and the game becomes way less annoying. It's been real satisfying to get this operation going, I think the next step is to just spin up a whole new type of alcohol from the ground up and go from there. I have those pesky O'Hoolihans next door though :ohdear:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If anything, the first delivery loop I want to make is for someone to pick up loving crockware and distribute it to my stills. I'll manage the sales, but I'll be damned if I have to remember to pick up all these pots just so we can keep pumping out hooch.

Question: you're always restricted to expanding one corner at a time, I assume? It does feel rather slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
theoretically you could have 3 expansions going on at once, you can run an influence op in adjacent territory-less corners i believe, i've had 2 going at once