Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I can't believe they ate a GTX 3080 from those. Holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I'm finally actually starting to look at ordering parts for a mostly new (going to to reuse my PSU cause it's in warranty for another decade, and my GPU because lmao those prices) PC; given that my PC spends most of the day being the machine I use for Remote Desktop WFH and media server duty, and might only get a few hours of gaming in a day, am I right on thinking I should want something with a relatively low base clock and high boost clock?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

PittTheElder posted:

So I'm finally actually starting to look at ordering parts for a mostly new (going to to reuse my PSU cause it's in warranty for another decade, and my GPU because lmao those prices) PC; given that my PC spends most of the day being the machine I use for Remote Desktop WFH and media server duty, and might only get a few hours of gaming in a day, am I right on thinking I should want something with a relatively low base clock and high boost clock?

This isn't really the way to think about how to build your computer. What types of games, what resolutions and FPS do you want, and what GPU are you moving over? And budget?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Looking at base vs boost is not going to get you good results.

What are your gaming goals? Those have the highest power requirements of your use cases so you should be building around that.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I did go ahead and order that ABS Master Gaming prebuilt linked earlier, with the 50$ sale and 5% cashback from Discover I may have just managed to cancel out sales tax :homebrew:

Spacedad posted:

Gamers Nexus has a new particularly thorough PSA about Gigabyte and newegg irresponsibly offloading dangerous exploding power supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Weeeeeeeelp, one more thing to triple check when it gets here, will trip report if any magic blue smoke is observed.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean I'm not saying I am going to shop by maximizing that difference, just a conceptual question. Last night I was thinking about this guy mostly on the basis of "clock number high", before realizing that I probably don't need something that's going to run that fast all the time. Also it's overclocked and I have literally never bothered with that.

But since I didn't realize we'd moved threads, I guess I can answer the little survey again.

• What country are you in?: Canada
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office plus Gaming.
  • The Stuff I'm Not Buying: I have a 750W PSU from EVGA that's under warranty for another 9 years (purchased 2018) that I see no need to replace. I'm also planning to re-use my GTX1080 8GB.
  • What's your budget? Probably like $1000 CAD, since I'm not planning on buying a GPU.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm running 2560x1440 on my monitor, at 144Hz. Graphics quality wise I usually don't look too closely, I'm happy just running in Medium or High, I'm not pushing from Ultra Quality. Most of what I play are Paradox games that are not particularly GPU taxing anyway, but I am planning to pick up BF2042, running that at Medium or High Quality or something would be nice, probably the best benchmark I can offer.

The main thing I'm looking to accomplish here is a replacement Mobo and CPU (an old i7-2600K. I'd quibble about wanting something better but I think nearly everything on the market is), since they're both pushing 10 years old now and I've noticed some weird poo poo happening with what I think is the motherboard (I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that's where it's at). And hop up to a lot more DDR4 RAM as well.

e: Are CPUs in hilarious short supply these days now too?

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 9, 2021

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"
Been playing Path of Exile lately and it's been constantly freezing on me for a second or two whenever a ton of mobs spawn then runs fine until more mobs spawn. When looking at the graph chart in the top right corner it show CPU usage spike during that time before normalizing. That got me thinking I might need to look into a new computer.

I currently have the following:
i5-4670k haswell at 3.4GHz cpu
MSI Z87m-643 1150 motherboard
2x 8GB DDR3 1333 Ripsaw RAM
GTX 1660 Super GPU.

Could I get away with getting a Ryzen 5 5600x (280ish dollars), ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (130ish dollars), and some random 16gig DDR 4 memory and be good with just moving over the 1660 Super?

I would like to play PoE, diablo 4, and maybe some MMOs whenever they come out like New World, Ashes of Creation, or the new expansion for GW2.. without struggling. I currently have a 2k monitor but have been playing games at 1080p if that matters.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Beach Party posted:

Could I get away with getting a Ryzen 5 5600x (280ish dollars), ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (130ish dollars), and some random 16gig DDR 4 memory and be good with just moving over the 1660 Super?

Yes but try to get a b550 motherboard. They're not that much more expensive and have PCIe 4.0 lanes which might be useful in the future.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

PittTheElder posted:

e: Are CPUs in hilarious short supply these days now too?

nah, not really. they were for a minute but it's totally manageable.

so raw gigahertz is kind of deceptive in CPU shopping these days, different chips have different qualities (IPC is one, instructions per clock, no idea how that works) that make that number less important. the typical enthusiast recommendation is actually AMD these days - they've beaten intel in price/performance for awhile and are doing better in straight performance, too. this is very different than a decade ago! the quick and dirty route to ryzen is a B550 motherboard with whatever features you like, a 5600X and at least 16 gigs of at least 3000 mhz ideally 3600 ram. i think you can clear that for under 1000 Canadian, or if you don't mind last gen either a 3600 or possibly the intel equivalant six core are good.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CoolCab posted:

i think you can clear that for under 1000 Canadian, or if you don't mind last gen either a 3600 or possibly the intel equivalant six core are good.

they could do a 5800x with 32gb of 3600mhz RAM if they're literally just after CPU + RAM + Mobo

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

nah, not really. they were for a minute but it's totally manageable.

so raw gigahertz is kind of deceptive in CPU shopping these days, different chips have different qualities (IPC is one, instructions per clock, no idea how that works) that make that number less important. the typical enthusiast recommendation is actually AMD these days - they've beaten intel in price/performance for awhile and are doing better in straight performance, too. this is very different than a decade ago! the quick and dirty route to ryzen is a B550 motherboard with whatever features you like, a 5600X and at least 16 gigs of at least 3000 mhz ideally 3600 ram. i think you can clear that for under 1000 Canadian, or if you don't mind last gen either a 3600 or possibly the intel equivalant six core are good.

Yeah ok, that's good to know. And yeah I'd heard AMD was doing pretty well these days, I've just reflexively bought Intel.

Butterfly Valley posted:

they could do a 5800x with 32gb of 3600mhz RAM if they're literally just after CPU + RAM + Mobo

I am planning to buy a new case and another SSD along with it, so it's more like $600-700 for the big three there.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 9, 2021

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes but try to get a b550 motherboard. They're not that much more expensive and have PCIe 4.0 lanes which might be useful in the future.

Thanks, I definitely can bump up my budget for when GPUs are more plentiful.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah ok, that's good to know. And yeah I'd heard AMD was doing pretty well these days, I've just reflexively bought Intel.

I am planning to buy a new case and another SSD along with it, so it's more like $600-700 for the big three there.

Add the case of your choice to https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vh47Xb

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:tipshat:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

5600x + 3080 Desktop for $2880 Australian

(use code FB3080)

Seems a screaming deal even if you replace half the parts, but the storage and ram isn't even subpar.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't need PC help but I'd like to especially thank this thread for going "Hey, maybe consider a PSU that's by someone better known for PSUs than Gigabyte" when I had a P-750GM on my pcpart list back in february. You probably saved me a ton of money, lmao

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Beach Party posted:

Been playing Path of Exile lately and it's been constantly freezing on me for a second or two whenever a ton of mobs spawn then runs fine until more mobs spawn. When looking at the graph chart in the top right corner it show CPU usage spike during that time before normalizing. That got me thinking I might need to look into a new computer.

GTX 1660 Super GPU.

I would like to play PoE, diablo 4, and maybe some MMOs whenever they come out like New World, Ashes of Creation, or the new expansion for GW2.. without struggling. I currently have a 2k monitor but have been playing games at 1080p if that matters.

I have a 3700x and a 3070 and Path of Exile still hits hard like that. A lot of the time it's dependent on when you are playing, the server side can't keep up with everyone and it just sends out video lag and stutters because WAY too much is happening at once, especially at higher levels and league mechanics that send mobs at you like crazy.

That being said, your stutters are probably a lot worse because that computer is pretty old. 5600x paired with 16GB of ddr4 ram will absolutely let you play the games you mentioned without struggling, but I would be skeptical of PoE still because of server side issues. (PoE is an amazing game! Just a lot going one near end game and during league mechanics). I would also get a b550 motherboard at this point in time. Side question, everything is installed on an SSD right?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Beach Party posted:

GTX 1660 Super GPU.

What kind of hard drive do you have?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How necessary are aftermarket CPU coolers? Particularly if I'm not dealing with overclocking is it just overkill?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

How necessary are aftermarket CPU coolers? Particularly if I'm not dealing with overclocking is it just overkill?

Depends on the use case and alternative. The AMD scythe cooler or whatever it's called is apparently fine, but the intel coolers tend to be pretty bad/loud.

A lot of this isn't about how much heat can be removed from the heat spreader, but rather at what decibel rating certain cooling targets are being reached. You might want to go aftermarket/AIO so that your case is quiet at normal gaming load and not pinned at 90% fan speed on stock cooler with one tiny fan.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I've been sort of wanting to build a new PC, as my current one is quite old at this point. It's ~7 years old and a super low-power mini-ITX system. It still runs okay. Notably this is not my primary work machine.

Where I am: USA

Use for the machine: Gaming, connecting with electronics test equipment/programming embedded chips (most of available software is Windows-only), testing personal software/hardware with Windows, maybe some audio processing.

For most of that I can conceivably continue getting by with what I have for a while. Gaming is the main reason I'd want to upgrade, as even though I don't play much modern stuff my current machine can't really handle it. I'd like to get up to at least 1080 at a viewable frame rate (like more than 20), and eventually be able to upgrade if needed.

What I have: I have an ATX case, a 512 GB SSD and enough extra storage that I probably won't need any right away (what I plan to do is upgrade my NAS if large HDD prices drop and then throw the old drives from there in if I really do need additional space).

What I plan to get:
CPU - probably Ryzen 5, 3600 or something similar
Mobo - Prefer X570 for the better USB-C port options, since I plan to keep this another 5 years or more. I'm liking the ASRock 570 PRO4.
Memory - likely only need 2x8GB now, with option to add more later when prices are a bit lower.
Power/cooler - Whatever I'd need. I could maybe pull the PS in my NAS server (since it's a bit over-spec'd) but either way I'd need a new one.
GFX - In theory, I'd be looking for something decent in the $150-$200 range that would last me a while. Street prices right now, however, are what's throwing me off.

Right now, CPU and motherboard prices seem to be acceptable. But GPU cards are of course insane. My budget is ideally sub $900 (including OS cost) but I could push it to $1000. I could just put the cheapest graphics card I can get in there just so it runs, and wait until next year to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't have any current situation that demands a new machine.

There's also the transition to Windows 11. Again, I don't need to get the new machine now, so possibly I could be better off waiting a few months for that. But given that this wouldn't be my primary machine (and most of the time would not be connected to the internet) I don't see it as a necessity.

I guess part of my concern is whether the trend is likely to be all prices going up in this way, so I should get what I can now, or hold off on the whole thing, which might also mean re-figuring the components based on possible future releases.

Any suggestions on these components is fine, though my broad question is whether to go for it now or wait and hope for prices to cool down.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I used an AMD cooler for years and it'll do the job just fine, but the bequiet cooler I have now is (unsurprisingly) way quieter. Plus coolers really aren't that expensive so it's worth spending the extra $20-50 just to not have an audible drone coming from your machine at all times.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PittTheElder posted:

The AMD Wraith Stealth is "fine", but really loud under load. I've tried both a $30 Arctic Esports 34 cooler (not the duo) and the Bequite! Purerock for $40 and both made my system absolutely silent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Good to know, thanks for the feedback all!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kangra posted:

I've been sort of wanting to build a new PC, as my current one is quite old at this point. It's ~7 years old and a super low-power mini-ITX system. It still runs okay. Notably this is not my primary work machine.

Where I am: USA

Use for the machine: Gaming, connecting with electronics test equipment/programming embedded chips (most of available software is Windows-only), testing personal software/hardware with Windows, maybe some audio processing.

For most of that I can conceivably continue getting by with what I have for a while. Gaming is the main reason I'd want to upgrade, as even though I don't play much modern stuff my current machine can't really handle it. I'd like to get up to at least 1080 at a viewable frame rate (like more than 20), and eventually be able to upgrade if needed.

What I have: I have an ATX case, a 512 GB SSD and enough extra storage that I probably won't need any right away (what I plan to do is upgrade my NAS if large HDD prices drop and then throw the old drives from there in if I really do need additional space).

What I plan to get:
CPU - probably Ryzen 5, 3600 or something similar
Mobo - Prefer X570 for the better USB-C port options, since I plan to keep this another 5 years or more. I'm liking the ASRock 570 PRO4.
Memory - likely only need 2x8GB now, with option to add more later when prices are a bit lower.
Power/cooler - Whatever I'd need. I could maybe pull the PS in my NAS server (since it's a bit over-spec'd) but either way I'd need a new one.
GFX - In theory, I'd be looking for something decent in the $150-$200 range that would last me a while. Street prices right now, however, are what's throwing me off.

Right now, CPU and motherboard prices seem to be acceptable. But GPU cards are of course insane. My budget is ideally sub $900 (including OS cost) but I could push it to $1000. I could just put the cheapest graphics card I can get in there just so it runs, and wait until next year to upgrade. On the other hand, I don't have any current situation that demands a new machine.

There's also the transition to Windows 11. Again, I don't need to get the new machine now, so possibly I could be better off waiting a few months for that. But given that this wouldn't be my primary machine (and most of the time would not be connected to the internet) I don't see it as a necessity.

I guess part of my concern is whether the trend is likely to be all prices going up in this way, so I should get what I can now, or hold off on the whole thing, which might also mean re-figuring the components based on possible future releases.

Any suggestions on these components is fine, though my broad question is whether to go for it now or wait and hope for prices to cool down.

If you just want something that runs and outputs video while you wait for the GPU market to calm down, then get an AMD APU, like the 5600G. The CPU side of it performs a bit better than the 3600 at around the same price, and it has an integrated GPU that can play low-spec games, though recent AAA games run quite slow on it. I would advise against buying a cheapo budget GPU because even those cost the $150 to $200 you'd rather spend on the card that's going into the final build.

As for whether you should do this now or wait, I don't think the GPU market is getting any better in the short-term future. Ethereum's going back up, and I would not be surprised if the absurd pricing and availability continues into the second half of 2022 at this point. The scarcity and pricing of other PC products however are and will likely continue to remain largely normal. Everything else readily available (though high-end monitors are oddly scarce), and prices are slightly elevated over what's normal but not outrageously so. So you can put together everything but a GPU without much issue, but you'll also be able to do so next year as well. Maybe better deals will be available then? It's hard to say. I think if you want to build something new right now, it's not an awful time to do so, provided you're okay with running on an integrated GPU for a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 11, 2021

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

Spacedad posted:

Gamers Nexus has a new particularly thorough PSA about Gigabyte and newegg irresponsibly offloading dangerous exploding power supplies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aACtT_rzToI

Given how bad the reputation is around their RMA and customer service is with their GPUs (RMAs take months, arbitrary voiding of warranty, etc.), I feel bad for anyone needed to RMA that PSU.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you just want something that runs and outputs video while you wait for the GPU market to calm down, then get an AMD APU, like the 5600G. The CPU side of it performs a bit better than the 3600 at around the same price, and it has an integrated GPU that can play low-spec games, though recent AAA games run quite slow on it. I would advise against buying a cheapo budget GPU because even those cost the $150 to $200 you'd rather spend on the card that's going into the final build.

As for whether you should do this now or wait, I don't think the GPU market is getting any better in the short-term future. Ethereum's going back up, and I would not be surprised if the absurd pricing and availability continues into the second half of 2022 at this point. The scarcity and pricing of other PC products however are and will likely continue to remain largely normal. Everything else readily available (though high-end monitors are oddly scarce), and prices are slightly elevated over what's normal but not outrageously so. So you can put together everything but a GPU without much issue, but you'll also be able to do so next year as well. Maybe better deals will be available then? It's hard to say. I think if you want to build something new right now, it's not an awful time to do so, provided you're okay with running on an integrated GPU for a while.

Thanks, I didn't know about the 5600G, and I'm glad that it still is a 65-W chip. Seems like it's a tad less future-proof compared to some other CPUs, but on the other hand it might represent a very good value for a 'graphics card' that is actually practical at the moment.

I'm likely waiting at least until October to put this all together, given that's when I'll have a bit more time, and I'll be fine until then.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I'm going on a trip tomorrow on which I want to take an old laptop so I can do some occasional work. I just bought an SSD to upgrade the storage so it can hopefully take less than 10 minutes to boot.

My original plan was just to remove the old HDD and install the new SSD and get a new Windows key and do a fresh install. However it's occurred to me I could use my PC to clone the old HDD to the new SSD before installing it - I guess this way would save me a little money in not having to buy a new Windows key, but is it going to take much longer time wise?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

My 8.5 year old power supply died this morning, looking to find a replacement I can use for 7+ years. Something in the 750W range would be good, both for increased GPU power footprints and because I like to mess around with overclocking.

What's a good, quality power supply that's the thread recommends and is actually available? Hoping availability is better than this time last year.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

v1ld posted:

My 8.5 year old power supply died this morning, looking to find a replacement I can use for 7+ years. Something in the 750W range would be good, both for increased GPU power footprints and because I like to mess around with overclocking.

What's a good, quality power supply that's the thread recommends and is actually available? Hoping availability is better than this time last year.

I like the Corsair RMx series as the perfect mix of quality and affordability. Prices are kind of high right now, but oddly the cheapest one right now on Amazon is the 850W model for the very affordable price of $115: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM750x-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B079H5WNXN?th=1

edit: I guess this is the 2019 model instead of the 2021 model. The newer one seems mostly the same but with an extra 8-pin connector, modern sleep state support, and... a louder fan curve, according to their own charts? Huh.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Aug 11, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I like the Corsair RMx series as the perfect mix of quality and affordability. Prices are kind of high right now, but oddly the cheapest one right now on Amazon is the 850W model for the very affordable price of $115: https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-RM750x-Certified-Modular-Supply/dp/B079H5WNXN?th=1

That's good to hear, the PS being replaced is a Corsair HX series. Thanks for the link!

edit: I guess this is the 2019 model instead of the 2021 model. The newer one seems mostly the same but with an extra 8-pin connector, modern sleep state support, and... a louder fan curve, according to their own charts? Huh.

This '21 RM850x model is available at my local Best Buy for the same price as Amazon. Being able to replace it today would be great - that's my primary work desktop.

Thanks again.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 11, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Saw some unhappy reviews of the 2021 RM850x from 3080/3090 owners as the newer version ships with only 2x PCIe cables vs the 3x cables for the older version - but they now include 3x EPS/ATX 12V cables!

The actual ports seem to be the same on both versions, it's just the shipped cables that differ.

I don't have a 3080 yet sadly, but will need to buy a cable from Corsair for when I do have one.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
self quoting from the video game deals thread

canyoneer posted:

WD_Black 500GB SN750 SE NVMe SSD with Battlefield 2042 Game Code Bundle for $99.99. Pretty deece deal for a 500gb M2 SSD with a key for Battlefield 2042 included. Regular going rate for that drive is about $70, so it's like buying that and getting BF2042 for $30.
The 1 TB model is also available with the key for $149.99

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

That’s a pretty bad deal unless you plan on paying full price at launch for battlefield.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah that’s still way too much to pay for a 500gb SSD.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ugh. a couple months after getting a 3070, I started getting ittermittent crashes in Windows that became more and more frequent. After swapping out the power supply and motherboard, I put my 1070 back in and the crashes stopped. Already tried uninstalling / re-installing drivers, so to Zotac's returns page I go. :(

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I was half expecting the HX750 to have taken other components with it when it died given the thick, heavier-than-air smoke. But it seems to have protected the rest of the system - trusty in death as in life.

Meanwhile, the RM850x is able to power this post fully. Truly a wondrous power supply to be able to reach so far.

Glad to be back up and running so quickly with no other damage to the system.

v1ld posted:

Saw some unhappy reviews of the 2021 RM850x from 3080/3090 owners as the newer version ships with only 2x PCIe cables vs the 3x cables for the older version

From what I since read, 2x 8-pin PCIe power supply ports seem enough to drive a 3080: two cables to the card with one daisy chained connector for the 3rd port on the card. Apparently a daisy chained pair can deliver 288W to go with the 150W from other cable and the 50W it's drawing from the bus. Which is a lot of Ws.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 12, 2021

Hesh Ballantine
Feb 13, 2012
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($396.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: 2x Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($139.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1270.91

Carrying over a 2070S and 2x 27" 144Hz monitors. Fuma 2 for the cooler, they're not showing up on PCPP for some reason. My main concern here is if everything's going to be cool enough in that case. Not planning to OC, but often have multiple MMO clients, streaming video, and 20+ browser tabs open at once. School me, friends.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hesh Ballantine posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($396.99 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($188.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: 2x Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair Crystal 280X MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($139.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1270.91

Carrying over a 2070S and 2x 27" 144Hz monitors. Fuma 2 for the cooler, they're not showing up on PCPP for some reason. My main concern here is if everything's going to be cool enough in that case. Not planning to OC, but often have multiple MMO clients, streaming video, and 20+ browser tabs open at once. School me, friends.

Put a couple fans as intake in the bottom of the case blowing directly into your GPU. Two more fans in the front, also as intake. The air will escape out the back and top naturally without additional fans. A single exhaust flan blowing up in the rearmost top position may also help, though with tower coolers that tends to not help a ton. The frontmost top position often hurts tower coolers more than it helps due to it sucking out fresh air before it can reach the cooler. The four-fan config should be good enough, though. That kind of upwards air movement does hurt CPU thermals since the cooler will be eating GPU exhaust, but not by much as long as you have enough fresh air coming in from the front.

One thing you could do to help the CPU if that cooling situation isn't good enough is using an AIO placed in the front. AIO in the front, two intakes on the bottom, two exhaust up top. That is going to give you cool and quiet operation with high-end parts, though it's a more expensive route than the Fuma 2, and may be a bit overkill. A relatively cheap but effective option with AIOs is the Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240. It looks kinda lame with its gimmicky VRM fan, but it's an effective CPU cooler.

If you're not married to the look of that case, then there are many more better-ventilated options out there. The Fractal Designs Meshify series, the Phanteks P500A/P600S, the Corsair 4000D/5000D airflow versions, Be Quiet Silent Base 802 and Pure Base 500DX, Lian Li Lancool II Mesh and Lancool 215, and Cooler Master MB511 and TD500 to name a few alternatives. The theme of these all is that they're totally normal front to back airflow cases which makes for very efficient cooling for tower CPU coolers and usually still provides the GPU with more than adequate cooling as long as you fill up your front fan slots.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Carrying over a 2070S and 2x 27" 144Hz monitors. Fuma 2 for the cooler, they're not showing up on PCPP for some reason.

Because its way incompatible with the case, which has a maximum air cooler height of 150mm with the Fuma 2 being 155mm.