Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

guys, DS-10 has been out on iPhone and I think Android for like 6 years. You don't have to go dig out or buy a DS unless you wanna also load a flash cart up with Gameboy and DS ROMs and game on the sucker

Thank god somebody uses their brains around here, sheesh

The DS was so cheap though ....

ED: thanks again, Okay Comboomer, you have once again saved my bacon. In a 1-minute search I'm not seeing the DS-10, but I am seeing the Kaossilator for Android, and I think that's definitely a great idea.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Aug 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

petit choux posted:

Thank god somebody uses their brains around here, sheesh

The DS was so cheap though ....

don't worry. it's still a good purchase if you use it to celebrate the impending launch of the new Switch Advance Wars remake by playing through all four of the old ones

also there's a pretty great port/redux of the greatest kart racing game of all timeDiddy Kong Racing on DS that shouldn't be hard to get ahold of

it's not as good as the N64 version but it gets there

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

don't worry. it's still a good purchase if you use it to celebrate the impending launch of the new Switch Advance Wars remake by playing through all four of the old ones

also there's a pretty great port/redux of the greatest kart racing game of all timeDiddy Kong Racing on DS that shouldn't be hard to get ahold of

it's not as good as the N64 version but it gets there

On ebay I was seeing really cheap copies of "The World Ends with You" which seems right up my alley, or should I say all of our alleys, but it also looks like the gameplay is a PITA.

Oh wow, it appears there's been some updating to the dark theme here. Quotes are now in fuschia?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Ok Comboomer posted:

guys, DS-10 has been out on iPhone and I think Android for like 6 years. You don't have to go dig out or buy a DS unless you wanna also load a flash cart up with Gameboy and DS ROMs and game on the sucker

Yeah I got this a month ago to catch up on a generation of games I missed. I just happen to see KORG in the rom list and ended up pleasantly surprised with it.

I知 also surprised how good some DS games are. All in all a good purchase.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

petit choux posted:

On ebay I was seeing really cheap copies of "The World Ends with You" which seems right up my alley, or should I say all of our alleys, but it also looks like the gameplay is a PITA.

Oh wow, it appears there's been some updating to the dark theme here. Quotes are now in fuschia?

if you played Silver/Gold definitely try to play one of the DS remakes

the GBA pokemon games are good too as the "last generation of the first style" of Pokemon games. There's Red/Green(Blue) remakes on GBA. DS represents the first major change to the core game IMO

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 10, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I知 also surprised how good some DS games are. All in all a good purchase.

Lots of great 2d games, 3D was mostly misses. Mario kart and Metroid were hand destroyers, not recommended for old RSI crippled hands.

The Tetris game that came out was fantastic, had stellar music. They did some fantastic remakes of Nintendo classics.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I got into Monster Hunter on the 3DS, and they're rad games. Bravely Default is cool especially if you like 16-bit JRPGs. I actually liked a lot of 3D titles for the 3DS :)

I already mentioned it in the VST thread but y'all should check out Airwindows plugins, they're quirky and GUI-less but they sound great and are released as a patreon-supported thing with the VSTs themselves freely available and I think open source too. Lots of interesting sound design stuff, and some powerful mixing tools also. The nature of his releases makes this Airwindows cheat sheet that gives a quick notion about each one very helpful to have. Standouts for me so far include Channel9 and Console7Cascade for analog-esque ITB mixing; Tape2 and the more recent PitchDelay also for delays, and Srsly2 as a very good stereo enhancement for synths. I also like Capacitor2 and BassDrive for frequency fuckery. There are so many though, check 'em out if you like.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 10, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

B33rChiller posted:

Here's something that took me a long time to discover. Hold down the osc button and turn the type knob for the list of adjustable parameters for whichever osc you have selected. Some of them have a large array to fiddle with.

Oh holy poo poo yeah the wave table oscillator has ... a lot of waves.

But yeah, I think the USB on mine is faulty. From what I can tell reading around, it should just show up as a class-compliant USB MIDI device. But trying it on both Win10 and Linux, on two different computers, with about five different cables, it doesn't even show up as a USB device, let alone MIDI. The thing powers up just fine with the USB cable, and otherwise seem to work properly. It just doesn't do actual USB. Also, I can't update the firmware or add user effects/oscillators.

Gonna have to exchange it I think.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Not this specifically, but if the synth takes USB MIDI in, then that should be fairly straightforward as long as your phone does USB host mode.

My vague understanding of both MIDI and USB MIDI is that they're pretty standard and well specified. There might even be a library for it already.

Hey, quick cheers for this, I ordered a converter cable and I'll give USB a try first off. In my investigating, I found an app called Lemur and one called touchOSC that both fit the bill for what I'm looking for control wise.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

But yeah, I think the USB on mine is faulty. From what I can tell reading around, it should just show up as a class-compliant USB MIDI device. But trying it on both Win10 and Linux, on two different computers, with about five different cables, it doesn't even show up as a USB device, let alone MIDI. The thing powers up just fine with the USB cable, and otherwise seem to work properly. It just doesn't do actual USB. Also, I can't update the firmware or add user effects/oscillators.

Hey please keep me updated on this. I think this would be a deal killer if I couldn't use the USB with this. Haven't purchased it yet, I'm selling off more old gear in order to buy it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Hey, quick cheers for this, I ordered a converter cable and I'll give USB a try first off. In my investigating, I found an app called Lemur and one called touchOSC that both fit the bill for what I'm looking for control wise.

Lemur has had a long history of getting absolute poo poo support. Last I checked (several years ago) it was basically abandoned by the devs.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Agreed posted:

I got into Monster Hunter on the 3DS, and they're rad games. Bravely Default is cool especially if you like 16-bit JRPGs. I actually liked a lot of 3D titles for the 3DS :)

I already mentioned it in the VST thread but y'all should check out Airwindows plugins, they're quirky and GUI-less but they sound great and are released as a patreon-supported thing with the VSTs themselves freely available and I think open source too. Lots of interesting sound design stuff, and some powerful mixing tools also. The nature of his releases makes this Airwindows cheat sheet that gives a quick notion about each one very helpful to have. Standouts for me so far include Channel9 and Console7Cascade for analog-esque ITB mixing; Tape2 and the more recent PitchDelay also for delays, and Srsly2 as a very good stereo enhancement for synths. I also like Capacitor2 and BassDrive for frequency fuckery. There are so many though, check 'em out if you like.

For me it's his chamber reverb, definitely worth a download

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

rickiep00h posted:

Lemur has had a long history of getting absolute poo poo support. Last I checked (several years ago) it was basically abandoned by the devs.

Hey, yeah I noticed that and its been put back up fairly recently, maybe as a cash grab. I will be trying the cheapest methods of trying to get things to work beforehand (hopefully now that webMIDI is a thing, I can throw together a simple webpage to try things out), then I can look into buying a cheapo tablet and possibly paid apps for convenience sake.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Airwindows is pretty rad.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Make sure you visit korg's website, and install their drivers. When you're doing anything to the nts1 via USB, like using the librarian, or updating firmware, it helps to be plugged directly into the USB port, no hub, and any other midi stuff disconnected.
I had all kinds of issues getting it to talk to the computer before I did that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

A LOVELY LAD posted:

touch osc is good. the only real problem is it lacks scripting or macros so doing the same thing over and over again can be tedious

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So Math posted:

Airwindows is pretty rad.

Everyone seems to know who he is and what he does, and somehow all his videos have a max of 1k views.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
How tough is it to replace a missing key on a synth? My brother has a beat-to-hell Microkorg he's going to give to me soon that's missing a key, and while I'm happy to play it with my Keystep Pro, it'd be nice to get it back in proper working order if it doesn't become a moneypit.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kraven Moorhed posted:

How tough is it to replace a missing key on a synth? My brother has a beat-to-hell Microkorg he's going to give to me soon that's missing a key, and while I'm happy to play it with my Keystep Pro, it'd be nice to get it back in proper working order if it doesn't become a moneypit.

I found this. Looks like a pain in the rear end, but doable.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_qO1zcdH6V4

He takes the back off at about 4 mins in, and separates the keys from the rest of the unit at about 10 minutes. He starts taking the keys apart at around 21:40. He痴 cleaning a lot of it with alcohol in between, which probably isn稚 a bad idea if you池e taking apart a second hand synth anyway.

This site sells parts:
https://www.syntaur.com/keyboard.php?keyboard=228

You can get the whole keyboard for $70, or partials from $9.95 to $24.95 depending on which keys you need.

I found all this by searching Google, so no guarantees that any of this will work out, but if it were me, I壇 give it a shot.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

B33rChiller posted:

Make sure you visit korg's website, and install their drivers. When you're doing anything to the nts1 via USB, like using the librarian, or updating firmware, it helps to be plugged directly into the USB port, no hub, and any other midi stuff disconnected.
I had all kinds of issues getting it to talk to the computer before I did that.

Yeah this is both with and without the Korg driver, on two separate computers, one with nothing else plugged in at all, and now also tested through my phone, which also could not detect it. It doesn't show up as a device when I run the Korg uninstall utility. It doesn't even show up on lsusb in Linux.

I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with one of the data pins on the USB port, or else with whatever chip they're using for USB.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

this ds conversation rekindled my want to get a gameboy and midi adapter

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Yeah this is both with and without the Korg driver, on two separate computers, one with nothing else plugged in at all, and now also tested through my phone, which also could not detect it. It doesn't show up as a device when I run the Korg uninstall utility. It doesn't even show up on lsusb in Linux.

I'm pretty sure that it's an issue with one of the data pins on the USB port, or else with whatever chip they're using for USB.
Sounds like you've done some pretty thorough troubleshooting. That's a warranty job right there.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I found this. Looks like a pain in the rear end, but doable.
Thanks a ton -- ordered the replacement keys. I'm currently waiting on a very obscure battery that I'll need to solder into an Alesis SR-16 I picked up at "for parts" prices, so my rear end clearly has quite the pain tolerance. Anything to spend save a buck. :v:

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Thanks a ton -- ordered the replacement keys. I'm currently waiting on a very obscure battery that I'll need to solder into an Alesis SR-16 I picked up at "for parts" prices, so my rear end clearly has quite the pain tolerance. Anything to spend save a buck. :v:

Yeah its not that bad to do, don't put it all back together once the keys are replaced tho, make sure the rubber contact strips are still sitting properly and all the keys make a noise.

So I bought my android OTG cable and fired it into my phone - blofeld connects both via USB and through a cheapo USB to midi cable like an absolute dream - I'm super surprised by how smoothly it went and it even works in the browser using websites that do midi out. OP-1..not so much, but the blofeld was really the aim anyways so I can control filters and stuff via MIDI CC and make use of multi mode/multiple MIDI channels at once instead of loving about with the lovely encoders etc.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Yeah its not that bad to do, don't put it all back together once the keys are replaced tho, make sure the rubber contact strips are still sitting properly and all the keys make a noise.

So I bought my android OTG cable and fired it into my phone - blofeld connects both via USB and through a cheapo USB to midi cable like an absolute dream - I'm super surprised by how smoothly it went and it even works in the browser using websites that do midi out. OP-1..not so much, but the blofeld was really the aim anyways so I can control filters and stuff via MIDI CC and make use of multi mode/multiple MIDI channels at once instead of loving about with the lovely encoders etc.

I used to have a Blofeld. Before trading it in at Guitar Center, I added extra capacitors to fix the encoder issue.

http://synth.stromeko.net/DIY.html

I did the non-surface mount version.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

College Slice

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I used to have a Blofeld. Before trading it in at Guitar Center, I added extra capacitors to fix the encoder issue.

http://synth.stromeko.net/DIY.html

I did the non-surface mount version.

Thanks, I had no idea an encoder fix existed outside of replacing them so I will look into that when I'm ready to take it apart again as it doesn't look like a difficult job (a while back it slipped behind my keyboard and bent one of the encoders). My encoders aren't at the point of being unusable (yet) - the idea of using a tablet is more to have functionality immediately available for adjusting parameters, triggering loops/sequences/arps etc. I'll be sure to get a vid or recording done when I have it all set up.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Hey, anyone have insurance on their gear? I just realized I'm moving into a college aged type housing with 2 house mates that will be completely random. I do have a lock on my bedroom door but I have about 3 grand of synths going on 4 if I buy a hydrasynth. What if someone steals my Octatrack? Am I just sunk?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think for small stuff like less than 10k worth rental insurance will cover it, make sure to document /inform with them about your gear.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My wife once advised I just walk around the place w/ my phone and get video of everything, you may well need to go more detailed but that seems like a good start.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also you may need to call around, as some rental insurance doesn't cover a roommate situation. (But there are definitely some that do).

And yeah, go around and photograph everything so you have evidence in case of a claim.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
One of my neighbors happened to have a Moog bag in the elevator the other day so we chatted and it turns out their factory is 2 hours from me. You can tour the place and play with stuff and I wanna go.

While leaving my entire loving wallet in a time activated safe in the car.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Rolo posted:

One of my neighbors happened to have a Moog bag in the elevator the other day so we chatted and it turns out their factory is 2 hours from me. You can tour the place and play with stuff and I wanna go.

Oh my goddd. What a trip. How was it?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh I haven稚 gone yet, I was saying I wanna go.

I知 gonna when I get back home at the end of the month. I値l take my own pics then.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Cheese Thief posted:

Hey, anyone have insurance on their gear? I just realized I'm moving into a college aged type housing with 2 house mates that will be completely random. I do have a lock on my bedroom door but I have about 3 grand of synths going on 4 if I buy a hydrasynth. What if someone steals my Octatrack? Am I just sunk?

As has been said before, standard renters insurance covers most as long as your roommate doesn't steal it.

Big thing is whether you make money with it or not - that's covered by business equipment, is very expensive and your standard home/renters insurance covers a paltry amount. When I had nearly 10K of camera gear stolen the insurance guy casually asked if I shot weddings or something to try and see if I got $500 which my home insurance covered or everything. If you're making money with it, you probably don't want to misrepresent that and risk insurance fraud.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Rolo posted:

I've been there. It's great. Those guys are super nice too. They sold me a Folktek Mescaline open box, and talked to me for a long time about how the subharmonicon operates.But the factory part is closed. Go on down and play a matriarch, hook it up to the Emerson Lake and Palmer modular stack.

Also stillvisions ... no way in hell I make money off of synths. I've never made a dime from my synthesizing. It's just a money pit!

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My dual Volca stand came in from Etsy. Fancy lookin IMO.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 14, 2021

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

petit choux posted:

Hey please keep me updated on this. I think this would be a deal killer if I couldn't use the USB with this. Haven't purchased it yet, I'm selling off more old gear in order to buy it.

Yeah I just exchanged it for another unit, and the USB midi on that one worked flawlessly out of the box. So I'm pretty certain it was just a detective unit.

There's a midi implementation chart on the Korg website too - you can send it CCs to control just about anything (and some people have used that as a hacky way of saving patches in their DAW.)

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Bought a Zlob Modular Diode Chaos kit off Amazon. Took 2 hours to build. Realized when I put it in my rack that the 10-pin power connector was on the wrong side of the board. Spent another 2 and a half hours desoldering it and then clearing solder out of the holes and then putting it in right. Tested the pins, everything looks good, plug it in, turn it on, POP!

I put an IC chip in the wrong way around. :eng99:

Chip smells. I flip it around and try again. Unit powers on, but instead of alternating between red and blue, it just stays red. A new chip is less than a dollar, but shipping is either $4 for 7-10 days or $8 for 2-day. Might as well get a couple extra chips in case I blow up another one! Ordering chips from Mouser at midnight on a Saturday-into-Sunday night. Briefly consider just buying another $50 Diode Chaos kit off Amazon. Nah, I知 going to try and salvage this.

This is my hobby. This is what I do to relax and to have fun. :emo:

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have built an XFM2 with MIDI Out, and I bought a PCB with pins that were ready for MIDI Out.

It involves one 33 ohm resistor...

I have two XFM2s with no MIDI Out.

I am cursed.

The positive outcome of this is now have an XFM2 and an XVA1 for like $300, which is a hell of a lot of synth per dollar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

This is my hobby. This is what I do to relax and to have fun. :emo:

That'd be a heck of a thread title.