Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I started a new save after not playing since PS4 launch, first in PSVR which was cool but ultimately I ported to PS5 where it looks/runs a lot better. Are there any good things to know like to skip the first freighter that's offered? I'm not even at that point yet and have only hyperjumped once and built a starter base.

I'm also not too happy with my first base and the planet it's on, does it matter much or should I plan to start another base on a planet I like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Feel free to make and drop bases any time you want it really doesn't matter that much. Eventually you'll run into things where your terrain edits start getting lost because it can only store so many for you, so save yourself some pain and make your bases follow the terrain as it exists rather than blasting a whole world apart and coming back later to find a mountain has regrown over your farm.

The only time your first base might matter is I think any quests related to doing things at a base will point you there, until you delete it and then it will point you to another one. Just wait til you find a planet you actually like, drop a base, delete the old one and then run your quests on the one that you enjoy.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I only bother building on planets that I really like. I built my first lovely base on a random world just to satisfy the quest requirements, then scrapped it and never looked back. If you don't like your base you can do what I did and just bear with it until you've gone through the NPC quest chains then nuke it, or you can nuke it now and just not do the quests until you find a place you like better. If you destroy the NPC consoles, you can re-recruit the base NPCs from space stations after you've rebuilt the consoles, so you won't permanently gently caress yourself over by killing the base you dislike.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The terminal NPCs will follow you as well, if you build another base with new terminals.

Or if you do like I did, and give them a terminal on your freighter. Works for everyone but the construction one :v:

e: and the exocraft one, I guess.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 9, 2021

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

These fuckers are going to continue updating this game forever like Minecraft. Frontiers sounds vague enough to be anything but I’d like for them to expand on the Expeditions community based approach and enable/improve upon multiplayer base building and resource collection.

I'm a lil late but I think that's what this game needs.

Honestly wouldn't mind a multiplayer-focused update with server-side saves, etc so that trading with other players would be actually useful. They could make an MMO-styled mode easily, I think.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i played this game a bit at launch and thought it sucked poo poo, i came back to it thanks to it being on gamepass and it kicked rear end. being a huge achievement whore i played on hardcore for my first playthrough and it was a blast.

it's really impressive the turnaround this game has had post-launch and it's prolly gonna remain my chill-out game for a good while. they really gotta fix the bug where some underwater species immediately register as extinct and gently caress up your ability to 100% a planet though, that drives me nuts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's also probably my favorite VR game. It just somehow makes things even more chill.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to play VR with a gamepad on PC?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Still hoping for planets with multiple types of biomes.

same. multi-biome planets and customizable ships (even just changing the color scheme) are the additions ive been hoping for with every patch!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1425564896377384962?s=19

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
No Man's Sky: Loss in Space

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
It took him 20 years, but it looks like Buckley has actually improved as an artist. There are backgrounds there and only the robot has the trademark face.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

To be fair, Sean's face was the only thing drawn more than once.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I got used to NMS dropping updates the moment they're announced :(

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Returned to the game after being away for a few years and loving it. I found coordinates in my Euclid galaxy for a capital freighter I like but every time I warp there it’s the same 2 non capital freighters.
There’s also usually a couple other players in the system I’m assuming also looking for the same ship.
I’ve tried landing in the station and reloading a few times but haven’t seen it yet and leaving the system in my ship/returning doesn’t force it to spawn either.

Will it only show up during a ‘save the fleet from pirates’ event? Can another player scoop it before me? I foolishly took the first free freighter I was offered a long time ago but have 300+ mil ready to buy it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Opioid posted:

Will it only show up during a ‘save the fleet from pirates’ event?

Yes.

Opioid posted:

Can another player scoop it before me?

I actually don't know (I doubt it?) but it doesn't super matter-- the way it's tracked is "when your save game has been played for long enough since the last pirate attack, the next system you jump into while in a small ship will trigger another pirate event". This means that if you save before every jump just playing the game normally, once you hit a pirate attack, you can reload the game and teleport around or use your freighter to jump to a system nearby the one you actually want, and then use your personal ship to actually spawn the event. Even on the off chance that other players can see the event and "steal" it somehow, you can still reload the same save and respawn it (presumably in offline mode this time) because as far as your local save game is concerned, it hasn't happened yet.

I think the timer is 2-3 hours of in-game time so even if you gently caress it up somehow, literally just leaving your game running and walking away will in theory run the timer down.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
Awesome, thanks!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The frigate class is different for every player, too.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

what's everyone's preferred method of play? i started a new game in permadeath and i'm just super slowboating around the galaxy, spending entirely too long on each planet trying to track down that last rare underground creature (seriously gently caress these things). i haven't even built a real base yet, just the crappy shack for the early mission. i sorta want to reach the last galaxy in permadeath mode just to say i've done it, but at this rate i'll be dead irl before i get there.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what's everyone's preferred method of play? i started a new game in permadeath and i'm just super slowboating around the galaxy, spending entirely too long on each planet trying to track down that last rare underground creature (seriously gently caress these things). i haven't even built a real base yet, just the crappy shack for the early mission. i sorta want to reach the last galaxy in permadeath mode just to say i've done it, but at this rate i'll be dead irl before i get there.

I want to play permadeath, but ill die in the most ridiculous ways. Its never about the environment or life support or creatures or sentinels. Its that drat plasma cannon. Every. Single. Time. Yeah i could just not install it, but its so handy sometimes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my first permadeath attempt a few months back ended when i apparently fell off too steep a hill. i thought i was just running down it until i just died outta nowhere. my next death was to a very big, very mean animal.

i made it to the center of the galaxy on the next permadeath attempt a while after and still have that save, but i want to take it nice and slow this time and just explore and chill this time, at least for now. i expect to eat it at some point, but oh well.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

ZombieCrew posted:

but ill die in the most ridiculous ways.
I recently accidentally flew with my ship through some building's antenna, my ship got stuck and after a while it exploded. Other time I was jetpacking up the stairs in a freighter and somehow I flew through walls and ended up falling into void.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 15, 2021

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Dwesa posted:

I recently accidentally flew with my ship through some building's antenna, my ship got stuck and and after a while it exploded. Other time I was jetpacking up the stairs in freighter and somehow I flew through walls and ended up falling into void.

Yeah stuff like this or the autoland tractor beam not firing off right and dooming you at a trade hub are why I would never play permadeath. I'm about 50/50 for deaths from bugs vz my own stupidity.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I simply cannot move through the world without constantly expending my jetpack so fall deaths are practically assured

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

What, am I gonna “not fly”, foh

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

what's everyone's preferred method of play?

i play in creative mode mainly. for some reason this seems very rare, as i never see anyone itt or anywhere else mention it and lots of people complain about grinding for this or farming for that and all kinds of tedious poo poo, but i play in creative mode because i like building bases and exploring planets and i dislike inventory management or resource limitations, and creative mode just lets you build and explore forever without having to deal with any of that. so i spend a lot of time loving around building massive bases in different styles and just cruising around smoking weed and listening to music and checking out random planets. if you go to one of the more populated planets in this mode you can see people build massive skyscraper bases that reach into orbit

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Aug 16, 2021

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Earwicker posted:

lots of people complain about grinding for this or farming for that and all kinds of tedious poo poo

I realize this is a massively unpopular opinion in 2021, but you asked: Without video game mechanics I don't play video games. The existence of puzzles/problems creates gameplay out of the building side of it. It doesn't even have to be a particularly strong mechanic - but something has to be there or it doesn't even register as a game. Grinding is tedious so you build a money machine to automate it. Collecting resources is tedious so you do the same. You need a safe place to store your crap so you build a house. There's a point to your actions and a clear goal at the end, even if the goal is entirely optional.

Remove any conflict/scarcity/goals/choices/etc and it just becomes boring to me.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mailer posted:

I realize this is a massively unpopular opinion in 2021, but you asked: Without video game mechanics I don't play video games. The existence of puzzles/problems creates gameplay out of the building side of it.

i dont think that opinion is super unpopular. i think there are a lot of people who want some sense of accomplishment when they play games, and overcoming various challenges creates that sense of accomplishment. thats why there's poo poo like permadeath mode and why we have achievements and so on.

but thats just not what im after, i play games to relax not to get stuff done. i have enough poo poo to get done in real life. i play lots of other games this way too, like i love GTA but i hate the story missions and spend most of my time just driving around and around the landscape in different cars. its just a way to unwind and experience cruising on the road a bit without the physical consequences of doing it in real life

i guess what seems odd to me is that creative mode seems so much less popular with this particular game. like i get that there are plenty of people who aren't into super chill, aimless, casual gaming but i thought this game specifically would attract more

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I don't build a lot of bases so my years-long save on normal is basically the same thing. I don't have to grind for anything at all, I just fly around looking at planets slowly making my way to the centre of the universe while exploring derelicts and sending out my frigates. It's chill and aimless but I also still have that 'grind' (teleport to my ferrite mine) available if I ever decide to work on my multiple-times-over abandoned nightmare clusterfuck planet base.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

my base building strategy is to build a small base on my starting planet and then set out to find a system i like and build a main base there and a few ouposts on the other planets, then start plopping small mining outposts on worlds with desirable resources.

i will prolly start building one decent-sized base per galaxy if i don't get deaded in a dumb way before leaving euclid.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What happens when you die? I've never played permadeath mode, but I also haven't died...

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

You spawn at your last save point (usually yr ship) with an empty personal inventory and one or two of your gadgets broken. Your “grave” is left where you died and contains all loot and materials you had on death. So presumably like a Souls game you lose on second death what you left on first death, provided you neglected to pick it up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Earwicker posted:

i guess what seems odd to me is that creative mode seems so much less popular with this particular game. like i get that there are plenty of people who aren't into super chill, aimless, casual gaming but i thought this game specifically would attract more

Oh plenty of people are down with sightseeing. The building is kind of limited to sustain a pure non-resource-driven builder, though. You don't have the conveyor belt/transport madness of a Satisfactory or Factorio. You don't have the insane freedom of a Minecraft. The number of functional widgets is relatively low and "building" actually consists of three different structure sets that are incompatible with each other. Mix in a base limit that forever prevents truly jaw-dropping scale projects and... welp.

Super chill NMS is probably the biggest contingent of players, but that also kind of conflicts with megabuilders.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

Super chill NMS is probably the biggest contingent of players, but that also kind of conflicts with megabuilders.

It's an interesting mixed bag in the sense that the limitations themselves (in terms of the limited structural items, the upload item limit, and even the inherent jankiness of the build system) are part of what draw some people to do some pretty nutty things, as evidenced by the community builds.

I went hog wild with building "resource farms" in my normal save game, but the combination of across-the-entire-save limitations and the realization that it was nearly completely literally useless when I really was trying to minmax seasonal play-- nearly anything you need, you can Just Buy from random NPCs at a space station in whatever volume you need it-- kind of removed my drive to do any real "building", which is honestly a bit of a shame.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm enjoying just listening to deep house music and exploring. The ps5 upgrade really let's things pop.

What is the best way to get nanites early game?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Ghostlight posted:

I don't build a lot of bases so my years-long save on normal is basically the same thing. I don't have to grind for anything at all, I just fly around looking at planets slowly making my way to the centre of the universe while exploring derelicts and sending out my frigates. It's chill and aimless but I also still have that 'grind' (teleport to my ferrite mine) available if I ever decide to work on my multiple-times-over abandoned nightmare clusterfuck planet base.

This is kind of where I'm at. I have two big activated indium mines (but I'm usually capped on credits anyway), mines for basically any other raw material I could ever really need, maxed out multitool, a couple of maxed out ships including a living ship, and a maxed out mech suit. I pretty much just fly around and gawk at stuff. Sometimes send out my fleet to go do their missions if I remember. See if I can finder weirder looking things to adopt as pets.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've not touched creative mode because I believed that I needed to trick myself into feeling like I've accomplished X/Y/Z to get to the cool stuff but I'm tempted to try it because of Earwicker's posts. Also I think pure exploration can have its own challenges even if they aren't mechanical.

Like, should I spent more time in this system with only superheated planets that I'm guessing aren't going to be super interesting to me or head off to the next? What if the planets DO have cool stuff and I'll miss it if I move on?!?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What does multi look like in this game? Is there a cohesive story? Can me and a buddy just jump into our own instance like Raft or factorio?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

What does multi look like in this game? Is there a cohesive story? Can me and a buddy just jump into our own instance like Raft or factorio?

You start a game and your buddy can join on you. Technically you share the same universe as everyone else playing the game but in practice I think systems are their own little instances that people join if there are other players in that location. Also the galaxy is huge so the chances of accidentally running into anyone else outside of the Expedition events is slim to none.

There is some story in various plot lines accessed from the Anomaly but you can ignore it if you like and just fly around doing stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I mostly play this in VR and I was wondering what a VR player looks like to other players, VR or flat. Do they see me running around the Nexus with my arms outstretched like I'm a second-rate Superman? Do the see me waving at them? Or is my character normal from their perspective?