Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

municipal shrimp posted:

There only seems to be low level zombie density if you play on the lowest difficulty. There are a ton of zombies on the second difficulty.

I've only played the 2nd difficulty and never touched the first, it still seemed very low, though without a good shove action your group is likely to get overwhelmed in seconds when they swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Lucca Blight posted:

I think the most surprising moment of the game so far is when Mom brags about committing rape back in the day. Not terribly sure who thought that was a good line to toss in the game in this day and age.

Haha yeah we heard that too. But it's one of those neck beard ,"a woman can't rape a man" type brush off. Ugh

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

during the finale of the campaign a coop partner and i tried to get into the car at the same time which got us into a weird state where we kept getting spat on by the web special, couldn't exit the car, couldn't use the turret, and our other coop partners couldn't free us or enter the car either

they eventually both died and the game instantly cut to the victory cutscene with them in the car

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I remember hearing that mom line but I didn't catch the end of it, yikes.

In the same level I heard hoffman go on a big rant about the "lamestream media" and I died a little inside.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
A critical part of these games is making you like your characters, so I was wondering how the game did on that front. I didn't find any of the character bios all that interesting(a conspiracy theorist in the age of Q? cmon man), but I didn't know how it played out.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think conspiracy theories and Q poo poo are pretty different, but from what I heard of...I think it's Hoffman? I'm not even loving sure which character was talking at the time. His government conspiracy stuff wasn't funny or interesting or even steeped actual real-world knowledge of govt coverups. He basically just says "yeah my dad said zombies were real and the military covered it up" which...would be maybe interesting in the context of there being a larger story to the game or the levels other than "kill zombie" but as it stands, it's just a one-liner you get dropped in the middle of a level and it's like "thanks Hoffman, very cool!" Let him go on a long tangent about how Roswell was a distraction from a zombie outbreak, or how people turned into zombies as the result of a drug cocktail concocted during the MKUltra tests or some poo poo.

From the state of the game now it just sounds like they came up with the character archetypes and then spent maybe a few minutes coming up with some dialogue

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
His line about "how can you not believe in aliens after all the poo poo we've seen" was pretty funny.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

It's interesting to me that there is ALWAYS a Holly. Either because her ability is probably the best(outside of Mom's 1 time super revive) or because she's just got most stand out personality and the most visual appeal out of all the characters (IMO, she really kinda pops out more than the others do, even if they all end up looking the same covered in tons of blood by the midpoint of a level)

I can't really help but notice she's just wearing Ellis' colors though so maybe everybody just likes fem Ellis :v:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Mooooommm stop shooting me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Shame Boy posted:

It's interesting to me that there is ALWAYS a Holly. Either because her ability is probably the best(outside of Mom's 1 time super revive) or because she's just got most stand out personality and the most visual appeal out of all the characters (IMO, she really kinda pops out more than the others do, even if they all end up looking the same covered in tons of blood by the midpoint of a level)

I can't really help but notice she's just wearing Ellis' colors though so maybe everybody just likes fem Ellis :v:

Yeah, she's the most stand out character; bright colors, upbeat line delivery, and the closest thing to witty dialog with the juxtaposition of keeping score based whether she's kicking rear end or getting picked back up.

I play as her or Hoffman a lot and Hoffman just seems like...Dwight from the office?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
On a quick glance she seems to have the most noticeable passive effects for the team and herself, making her the only viable melee character and to keep up everyones stamina and if you run out of stamina you are basically dead when you get swarmed or can't outsprint the crusher that runs as fast as you can.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Her and Hoffman are the best so far for sure. The ammo pickups really do help.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Skyarb posted:

Haha yeah we heard that too. But it's one of those neck beard ,"a woman can't rape a man" type brush off. Ugh

Wait are you guys talking about the line where she talks about getting drunk and loving the preacher's son when they were both teenagers? Because I read that as "bored and horny teen poo poo" rather than rape :stare:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I will probably give it one more run with friends when the next beta phase begins but the verdict so far from me is: just play vermintide or deeprock for a modern 4 player co-op horde fighting game that are fun to play, or just play left4dead with mods because a 12 year old game is overall better designed.

Checking steam charts left 4 dead 2 still regularly has 26k players on per day which seems really high for a 12 year old game and I doubt back 4 blood will beat those numbers by the end of the year.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
voice work could use another pass

https://mobile.twitter.com/DotoDoya/status/1423511312231981057

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Anyway my take is that I don't give a gently caress about weapon rarity and find that whole system fiddly as hell. I'm in the middle of an apocalypse, I don't want to be staring at stat numbers and arrows, just give me a gun.

Also, the special infected have been improved from the closed Beta, but they're still mostly boring bullet sponges. I haven't tried PVP yet but that's because the last-stand gameplay sounds incredibly boring.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I will probably give it one more run with friends when the next beta phase begins but the verdict so far from me is: just play vermintide or deeprock for a modern 4 player co-op horde fighting game that are fun to play, or just play left4dead with mods because a 12 year old game is overall better designed.

Checking steam charts left 4 dead 2 still regularly has 26k players on per day which seems really high for a 12 year old game and I doubt back 4 blood will beat those numbers by the end of the year.

Or Killing Floor 2 for that matter

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
or payday 2 for that matter

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Lol they did not.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I absolutely love the Steam discussion forums as being the frontline of dumb weirdos who have staked their entire lives on meaningless video game minutia, and the Back 4 Blood forums do not disappoint. Most posts have basically mirrored everything said in this thread, but also, there's a lot of talk that people defending the game are being paid by WB. Normally I would laugh and say that's ridiculous, but looking at some of the posts that are defending the game, I think I could be convinced that this is a paid marketing thing

Steam Forums posted:

Please don't lower the price

L4D2 is ruined because of low prices and it's community is full of toxic, mentally damaged hateful weebs. No sale, no regional pricing so we have a better community it's simple as that.

Steam Forums posted:

i honestly cant wait to pump over 200hours into this game with my friends and by myself

Steam Forums posted:

The base gameplay of L4D2 isn't great and is only decent to play with a group of friends, modded lobbies make it more enjoyable but the game as a whole has not held up well since it's initial release in 2009.

B4B is a great spiritual successor to the L4D series and improves upon the base mechanics while also introducing an element that opens up opportunity for many different playthroughs that aren't exactly the same via the addition of cards, decks, and RNG.

Wishing for a game to die because you like the outdated game that it's based off is ridiculous, and criticizing a game's price and content on a closed / open beta that has limited content available 2 months before release is not enough field testing to determine a game's worth or survivability.

B4B will succeed and en masse, with the card style, co-op gameplay, modern FPS controls / visuals / effects, and most importantly and especially, cross platform between all consoles, B4B will be a hot game to play.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The one that's claiming that L4D2 didn't age well is full of crap, booted it up last night for the first time in about two years and had a much more enjoyable time than I did with the B4B beta

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Corporations pay people to spam three line reviews. The 10 paragraph defense or Reply-to-every-post Barrage are the tactics of volunteers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

drrockso20 posted:

The one that's claiming that L4D2 didn't age well is full of crap, booted it up last night for the first time in about two years and had a much more enjoyable time than I did with the B4B beta

I didn't want to be that guy itt but yeah my lasting impression of B4B, half a week after the beta, is that I wish I could just get everyone to commit to a L4D playthrough.

Oh, also, I wanted to ask, did anyone else feel B4B wasn't very smooth, in terms of performance? I don't have the most powerful PC, but it's a 6 GB 1060 with a comparable GPU and I never felt very "good" when I was playing it in terms of stutter, hit detection, etc. It's hard for me to tell how much of that is subtleties of how a game gives feedback, and how much is a poorly optimized game, and how much is my hardware.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

It definitely makes my CPU run the hottest its ever gotten. Right now it's jumping from 47-52 and I'm watching a twitch stream, got Firefox open for posting, and running a 3DS emulator. Turn everything off except B4B and it's pushing 80 and occasionally into 90

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Yeah ok, I soured on the game when running across the bridge my team encountered 3 Bruisers + 2 Crushers on veteran. Wtf are we supposed to do about that?

Urgh. I've played L4D2 like thousands of hours and can get through every map on memory, at the very least I wanted this to be like enjoyable for at least experiencing and finding tactics for the new maps it offers. But the specials characteristics and their rate of spawn needs a huge goddamn tweak or even a rework.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
After more gameplay, my main problem with this game is just the specials. I loving hate the specials.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
To be as charitable as possible, what do we think the intended response on bruisers is? The targeted player does a 180 and sprints away while three team poor fire into it, particularly if they can get an angle to shoot the shoulder?

In practice me and my team mates just alternate between backtracking in a sprint and then mag dumping, and it's not very satisfying to do a push and pull at a choke point two or three times as YET ANOTHER bruiser appears at the bottleneck.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jack B Nimble posted:

To be as charitable as possible, what do we think the intended response on bruisers is? The targeted player does a 180 and sprints away while three team poor fire into it, particularly if they can get an angle to shoot the shoulder?

In practice me and my team mates just alternate between backtracking in a sprint and then mag dumping, and it's not very satisfying to do a push and pull at a choke point two or three times as YET ANOTHER bruiser appears at the bottleneck.

...basically yes. Backpeddal, climb poo poo, magdump, and then move forward into another and repeat. It's terrible from a gameplay flow and it'd be okay if they were rare and served a purpose of stopping players from rushing certain hallways but that's not at all the purpose they serve. As best as I can tell, the only purpose of Bruisers is to deplete Survivor's ammo supply's real fast.

You can use up grenades to kill them which helps but then another spawns in and it's back to square one.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The majority of my issues are like, quality of life stuff, but the specials make me actively not want to play. To combine two of my issues, I hate how shooting the shoulder doesn't give off like a special sound effect or glowing blood or something because I shoot at the shoulder all the time and wonder to myself "are these hits even registering or am I missing because my hipfire cone is too wide"

also one time a Bruiser climbed all the way up that little waterfall ledge in the second stage of Act 1 and instantly slammed all of us and I got so loving heated. He just teleported up the ledge and nearly instagibbed us, we all thought, very reasonably, we were safe because hows that thing supposed to climb the mountain?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My personal moment of frustrated disappointment with bruisers was when a charged melee attack didn't cause any stun. Come on game, you can't give me a little stun animation for heroic plays?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
If its a single bruiser, backtracking and shooting it is fine. Combined with birds behind you, it actually makes you watch and retreat carefully, i don't mind that.
3 bruisers can f off, bruisers in an event which you need to run can f off, bruisers blocking your objective which you need to shut off to stop the horde can goddamn f off.

And why in the world do bruisers and crushers look so similar? I can't distinguish the 2 until they reach me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Eeepies posted:

And why in the world do bruisers and crushers look so similar? I can't distinguish the 2 until they reach me.

Oh see, I thought crushers were a card mutation of bruisers, replacing them with a more dangerous variant. If that's not the case and they show up at the same time, then yeah they look too similar.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm guessing the fact that each special infected has a few variant options is because they wanted to have more varied encounters, but didn't want to/didn't have the time to make all those extra models. They absolutely should have done though, in the middle of a battle we just call them Tallboys and Fatties and the tactics of fighting them don't really change. You just hold the trigger down until they die.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Wait are you guys talking about the line where she talks about getting drunk and loving the preacher's son when they were both teenagers? Because I read that as "bored and horny teen poo poo" rather than rape :stare:

She says basically "There was a cute preacher boy who didn't like me, well until a little liquor loosened him up" and its very date rape vibes.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Skyarb posted:

She says basically "There was a cute preacher boy who didn't like me, well until a little liquor loosened him up" and its very date rape vibes.

Nah, she says "Me and a cute preacher boy went into the woods and when he got drunk he lost his inhibitions", there's nothing in it that says "he didn't like me", the implication is that he was repressed being a preacher's son.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Nah, she says "Me and a cute preacher boy went into the woods and when he got drunk he lost his inhibitions", there's nothing in it that says "he didn't like me", the implication is that he was repressed being a preacher's son.

Getting someone drunk so they sleep with you is rape. Hth

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Getting someone drunk so they sleep with you is rape. Hth

it's worse, they were both minors, she's a pedophile as well

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

it's worse, they were both minors, she's a pedophile as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUGWPugNVLo&t=3552s

Here you go.

"Always loved a stroll in the woods. Reminds me of my teens. Minus Johnny Mayberry and a purloined bottle of my Pa's best hooch to loosen that boys inhibitions."

Creepy gross and rapey.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Bruisers would be way more tolerable if their weak point were larger and on their backs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Evangelo's got the right idea after that story in the game.

Is it him or Hoffman that says the enemies are in trouble when puts bullets back into this gun? That's another good one too.