Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i would buy a civic over a jetta and i am a vw owner fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I had an Accord for years and loved the thing. There's a couple of newer Civic Sports in town, so I'll probably end up grabbing one of those. REALLY want the hatchback, but apparently those are grounds for charging $3k more in these parts.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah isn't the target demographic just someone that wants brand cachet as cheaply as possible I thought that was a fairly well understood and lucrative demographic
The only person I know who seriously considered and bought an Evoque is a fashion buyer who's professionally obligated to have her finger on the pulse of what's trendy. It wasn't the price, it was the look and the image (youthfulness!). She got it over the objections of her gearhead spouse (original owner of an M roadster, etc etc). After three or so years where it's been in the shop a horrifying number of times, she just fled to a Macan GTS. Doesn't bode well for JLR in the long run

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

There is a lot of road noise when you're driving on the highway and inside the car. It makes sense to me because Consumer Reports only ever dings Toyotas for having too much road noise/not a smooth enough ride, but it is entirely possible that her expectations are just way too high. Is a used luxury car going to be a maintenance/maintenance-cost nightmare? I could be open to it if it is a manageable cost.

Not if you get a Lexus, almost everything else yes.

My wife is on her second LS and overall they are great dependable luxury cars. It's super super quiet, can't get much more quiet than that :v:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Inner Light posted:

I forgot the LaCrosse was dead. I wish American makes could compete with entry level German luxury but it appears we simply gave up.

Encore aside, talking about sedans.

Slightly off-kilter take, but what about a CPO Regal Wagon (TourX or whatever foolishness they called out)? Good reviews, some of that Buick soft luxury while at it's heart being the only good opel/Holden in some time.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Internet Explorer posted:

Oh no, that sounds awful. :( I'm sorry that happened to you.

Here's my advice, but I'd wait for others to chime in as well:

I would take it to CarMax and see what they'll give you for it. Don't offer up any information about the issues you have been having, or why you are looking for a new car.

I'd find the nicest Prius you can. Take it to a shop to get a Pre-Purchase Inspection before you buy it. It's really, really important that you do this. Don't feel bad asking for this, and any place that tries to talk you out of if isn't worth listening to them on. Take. It. For. A. PPI.

If you're not great at handling this sort of stuff, CarMax wouldn't be the worst place to buy from either.

Thanks for this advice, but I'm getting a bit anxious about this situation. Would it be bad if I just take the car somewhere and trade it in for anything? I'm having panic attacks and don't how to tell if a car is good or not online and just want to be able to stop driving my current car in as few days as possible.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Amorphous Abode posted:

Thanks for this advice, but I'm getting a bit anxious about this situation. Would it be bad if I just take the car somewhere and trade it in for anything? I'm having panic attacks and don't how to tell if a car is good or not online and just want to be able to stop driving my current car in as few days as possible.

Carmax should take the stress out of this but at a price premium. Though their cars are usually $10k minimum. They have a 30 day return period and you can get the private party inspection done after the fact (I have). Carmax also comes with a 3 month warranty that covers almost everything. If the inspection comes back bad you either have Carmax fix it or return it and buy another vehicle.

It really is an easy process, you won’t get any sales pressure which sounds like you could use right now. But again, their cars are likely a little more expensive than average.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
A dealer wants to do a credit check before scheduling an appointment for a test drive, is that sketchy? Not sure I'm comfortable with getting the tiny ding on my credit score from a credit check for a car I don't end up buying.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mila kunis posted:

A dealer wants to do a credit check before scheduling an appointment for a test drive, is that sketchy? Not sure I'm comfortable with getting the tiny ding on my credit score from a credit check for a car I don't end up buying.

Is this an expensive performance / luxury car?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Nope, 7 year old camry

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mila kunis posted:

Nope, 7 year old camry

Hahahahaha tell them to gently caress off. Don't get financing through a dealership on a 7 year old car - get your own and come with the preapproval letter if you have to.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mila kunis posted:

Yes, pretty sketchy. Just tell them you have financing already from your credit union.

This is more common, but still not OK in my opinion, when dealing with certain cars like STi's, Hellcats, and other factory performance/limited edition cars. It's a method to keep the tire kickers and people who just want to test drive the car with no intention of buying it away.

Some dealers don't flex on this though, you may want to find another dealer. If this is just a normal car, it's more of a red flag.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I suspect the credit check is not about financing, but just ensuring that you're a real customer who could in principle buy the car if you wanted to. It's a way to filter out the riff-raff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect the credit check is not about financing, but just ensuring that you're a real customer who could in principle buy the car if you wanted to. It's a way to filter out the riff-raff.

You don't need to filter out the riff raff on a 7 year old camry and if you come with your own financing, the dealer shouldn't get to care about your credit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KillHour posted:

You don't need to filter out the riff raff on a 7 year old camry and if you come with your own financing, the dealer shouldn't get to care about your credit.

its 2021 a 7 year old camry costs like 20 thousand dollars

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That's the strangest sellers market flex I can think of. Selling a 7 year old Camry usually leans on predatory lending to people who don't pass a credit check.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It sounds like one of those lovely dealers who advertise really low prices but won’t see to you unless you take their in house financing at like 21% APR

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bouillon Rube posted:

It sounds like one of those lovely dealers who advertise really low prices but won’t see to you unless you take their in house financing at like 21% APR

Probably this. There's one here that advertises all their pricing based on inhouse financing where the best interest rate offered is 6% and I assume gets much worse from there, or $1k more if you don't use their financing. Then again, they had no problem with me test driving with nothing more than a driver's license.

If push comes to shove I may end up buying from them and immediately refinancing or paying it off because why the gently caress not. Definitely reading every loving letter of the finance agreement if that happens.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
I offered to bring in a pre-approved loan from my bank and they were fine with it v0v

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mila kunis posted:

I offered to bring in a pre-approved loan from my bank and they were fine with it v0v

Do NOT sign anything the same day you do a test drive. Tell them upfront that you are only driving the car and that you are leaving without it and you will be making your decision another day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proposed Budget: $21k or less (prefer $18k)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV, Truck or Crossover, prefer SUV but am flexible
How will you be using the car?: 2nd vehicle, gets about 30% the amount of use as our primary daily driver (2017 Prius prime). Needs to be able to tow a light trailer on occasion (<1000lb payload). When used for commute it's a very short trip. Car will not get much mileage added to it quickly. Probably looking at 4k miles per year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, low maintenance costs. Creature comforts can be minimal, it will not be driven as often or for as long of duration in one go. MPG should be decent, prefer smaller and more economic vs big and powerful.

We have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I hope to never see again. I hate it with the intensity of a supernova and will never own another big 3 vehicle again.

Anyway. Replacing the jeep with something of similar size and utility. I am leaning towards a Toyota RAV4, the local Carmax has a few in our price range and under 90k miles. However they also have a lot of Honda CRVs and Hyundai Tuscon's as well as a Mazda MX5 and I am less familiar with those. I have loved the Hondas and Toyotas I have owned but don't know their SUVs well.

Biggest question is, in the small-mid size SUV market are there any real poo poo ones to stay away from?

Other question, any warnings on dealing with Carmax?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That Works posted:

We have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee that I hope to never see again. I hate it with the intensity of a supernova and will never own another big 3 vehicle again.

Anyway. Replacing the jeep with something of similar size and utility. I am leaning towards a Toyota RAV4, the local Carmax has a few in our price range and under 90k miles. However they also have a lot of Honda CRVs and Hyundai Tuscon's

RAV4 and CR-V are both very solid choices. Had a '13 CR-V from new to 170k miles, the only real problems I ever had with it were either a single air conditioning failure or when I was an idiot and wrecked it. Absolutely dead reliable. It did need a new VTEC actuator when I sold it, I just never got around to fixing it. The newer/turbocharged ones have some potential fuel dilution issues. Hyundai is also probably fine and might have a few more features for the price, even the rental-spec one I drove for a week had adaptive cruise.

That Works posted:

as well as a Mazda MX5

Miata Is Always The Answer :v: but I suspect you really mean CX5. Which is also a solid vehicle, possibly a little more maintenance-happy but a bit more fun to drive (let's be fair, they're still crossovers, they're still dull).

That Works posted:

Other question, any warnings on dealing with Carmax?

Don't buy any of the addons, and also shop against other dealers. In general, Carmax is going to be a decent bit more expensive than other options. In occasional cases they're not, I ended up buying my Canyon there. Beyond the high pricing the experience was completely lackluster in that even without any negotiations it still took hours to complete because our sales rep could barely operate their computer enough to process a credit app. This was also immediately before the pandemic so I would hope that by now they let you complete that poo poo on your own.

It's a lovely time to buy but in the category you're shopping there's no shitboxes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

IOwnCalculus posted:

RAV4 and CR-V are both very solid choices. Had a '13 CR-V from new to 170k miles, the only real problems I ever had with it were either a single air conditioning failure or when I was an idiot and wrecked it. Absolutely dead reliable. It did need a new VTEC actuator when I sold it, I just never got around to fixing it. The newer/turbocharged ones have some potential fuel dilution issues. Hyundai is also probably fine and might have a few more features for the price, even the rental-spec one I drove for a week had adaptive cruise.

Miata Is Always The Answer :v: but I suspect you really mean CX5. Which is also a solid vehicle, possibly a little more maintenance-happy but a bit more fun to drive (let's be fair, they're still crossovers, they're still dull).

Don't buy any of the addons, and also shop against other dealers. In general, Carmax is going to be a decent bit more expensive than other options. In occasional cases they're not, I ended up buying my Canyon there. Beyond the high pricing the experience was completely lackluster in that even without any negotiations it still took hours to complete because our sales rep could barely operate their computer enough to process a credit app. This was also immediately before the pandemic so I would hope that by now they let you complete that poo poo on your own.

It's a lovely time to buy but in the category you're shopping there's no shitboxes.

Lol oops yeah CX5. I wish I could get an MX5 that would be more fun.

Yeah it's not ideal shopping times for sure but glad to know there isn't a turd lurking in these categories. Probably gonna roll with the RAV4 since it has the adaptive cruise control and the CRVs available do not from my choices so far.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

parking features do not help reduce actual accidents that matter.

helpful safety features in rough order of priority:

top tier:
Electronic Stability Control and traction control
anti lock brakes and electronic brakeforce distribution
forward collision warning and automatic emergency braking
brake assistance

next tier:
Lane keep assistance
rear cross traffic
blind spot monitoring
adaptive headlights

convenience features:
back up camera (mandatory now)
360 degree camera
parking proximity sensors
self parking poo poo
active cruise control

the top tier will probably either help you not get in an accident or significantly reduce the severity of the accident. the next tier will maybe help you not get in an accident more marginally but really won't do anything to reduce the severity. the bottom tier makes your life better but doesn't really do that much to help you not get in accidents. It might help you not say, bump in to a car parallel parking... but you should be going slowly enough that you should not do any significant damage to your car or someone else's during parking.

can you tell me more about traction control and stability control? my mom had to get rid of her absolutely rusted out sportrac and got a used 2019 ford ranger (which promptly ate a bunch of hail stones and is all dinged up). we're on a trip together, and i've noticed it has a million features like stability control, the traction control that appears to be cruise control at low speed and you can select mud/snow/ice/sand, lane assist, etc. the lane assist seems annoying since it'll push back when you move lanes without a turn signal.

The parking assist beeping is crazy, I stopped at the first beep and got out and had at least 6 feet to go. After parking a last model ranger (as well as the much easier to park pontiac vibe) in chicago, I got real adept at just backing up until I touched someone, so this is quite the adjustment.

I wish it had adaptive cruise and it doesn't.

I will say it's a fantastic truck - a bit less power than the v8 sportrac in raw numbers, but feels twice as fast with the 4 cylinder. Gets better gas mileage than the v6 07 ford fusion I drive. Rides so well and quiet compared to old trucks I"m used to that I thought it might be unibody like the maverick is going to be.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Aug 10, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I got real adept at just backing up until I touched someone, so this is quite the adjustment.

This is a real dick move

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

This is a real dick move

hey now, i didn't do it when i had a hitch in. The funniest part of when i did and would be parked in the vehicle doing census work a decade ago, and people would bump me and get all apologetic.

But with a low car you can absolutely tap other people's bumpers enough to get into a parking spot. I think it's not a good idea in a tall one since bumpers might mismatch

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KillHour posted:

This is a real dick move
I've been led to believe this is just how Chicago be. See also

mastershakeman posted:

the lane assist seems annoying since it'll push back when you move lanes without a turn signal.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

the lane assist seems annoying since it'll push back when you move lanes without a turn signal.

You say this like it's a bad thing

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

hey now, i didn't do it when i had a hitch in. The funniest part of when i did and would be parked in the vehicle doing census work a decade ago, and people would bump me and get all apologetic.

But with a low car you can absolutely tap other people's bumpers enough to get into a parking spot. I think it's not a good idea in a tall one since bumpers might mismatch

The bad driver thread is leaking

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That Works posted:

Proposed Budget: $21k or less (prefer $18k)
New or Used: Used
Body Style: SUV, Truck or Crossover, prefer SUV but am flexible
How will you be using the car?: 2nd vehicle, gets about 30% the amount of use as our primary daily driver (2017 Prius prime). Needs to be able to tow a light trailer on occasion (<1000lb payload). When used for commute it's a very short trip. Car will not get much mileage added to it quickly. Probably looking at 4k miles per year.
What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, low maintenance costs. Creature comforts can be minimal, it will not be driven as often or for as long of duration in one go. MPG should be decent, prefer smaller and more economic vs big and powerful.

Anyway. Replacing the jeep with something of similar size and utility. I am leaning towards a Toyota RAV4, the local Carmax has a few in our price range and under 90k miles. However they also have a lot of Honda CRVs and Hyundai Tuscon's as well as a Mazda MX5 and I am less familiar with those. I have loved the Hondas and Toyotas I have owned but don't know their SUVs well.

Biggest question is, in the small-mid size SUV market are there any real poo poo ones to stay away from?

i gotta ask, why give a gently caress about fuel economy on a truck thats getting 4k miles a year? its gonna be a couple hundred bucks a year in fuel cost max. i assume you mean real SUV because you also put crossover in the options so I think you should either get a 4Runner or a Lexus GX because all of that other stuff you posted is a crossover

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

mastershakeman posted:

can you tell me more about traction control and stability control? my mom had to get rid of her absolutely rusted out sportrac and got a used 2019 ford ranger (which promptly ate a bunch of hail stones and is all dinged up). we're on a trip together, and i've noticed it has a million features like stability control, the traction control that appears to be cruise control at low speed and you can select mud/snow/ice/sand, lane assist, etc. the lane assist seems annoying since it'll push back when you move lanes without a turn signal.

The parking assist beeping is crazy, I stopped at the first beep and got out and had at least 6 feet to go. After parking a last model ranger (as well as the much easier to park pontiac vibe) in chicago, I got real adept at just backing up until I touched someone, so this is quite the adjustment.

I wish it had adaptive cruise and it doesn't.

I will say it's a fantastic truck - a bit less power than the v8 sportrac in raw numbers, but feels twice as fast with the 4 cylinder. Gets better gas mileage than the v6 07 ford fusion I drive. Rides so well and quiet compared to old trucks I"m used to that I thought it might be unibody like the maverick is going to be.

Terrible driver or just selfish rear end in a top hat?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm not gonna say I never bump people while parallel parking on my street in Boston but I generally try to avoid it.

verdict: ops a dick

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't hit anyone parallel parking since I was like 19. This is because I learned not to park in places I don't fit and I get out to check if I'm unsure how close I am. Now that every car is required by law to have a reverse camera, this should not be a difficult thing to achieve.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KillHour posted:

I haven't hit anyone parallel parking since I was like 19. This is because I learned not to park in places I don't fit and I get out to check if I'm unsure how close I am. Now that every car is required by law to have a reverse camera, this should not be a difficult thing to achieve.

I appreciate other drivers having the full suite of sensors and cameras even more than I appreciate having them myself.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Guinness posted:

I appreciate other drivers having the full suite of sensors and cameras even more than I appreciate having them myself.

Yes. I have definitely tried to park real close to a vehicle in front of me, saw it was an old jalopy with no camera and many scrapes on the rear bumper, so I decided not to park there. I knew they would end up ramming me on the way out.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Literally watched a drunk girl get in her car and run into my rear bumper at like 3 mph. (I was not in the car at the time). I yelled out "HEY YOU HIT MY CAR!" and she yelled back "I DON'T CARE!" and drove away. It was too dark to get her plate or I sure as poo poo would have had her drunk rear end picked up. People loving suck and I can't wait until movement activated dashcams are standard in cars.

What were we talking about?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KillHour posted:

Traction and stability control and whether it helps slowly rocking other cars suspensions go wiggle into a spot

In all seriousness I'd like to know more about how they work

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KillHour posted:

Literally watched a drunk girl get in her car and run into my rear bumper at like 3 mph. (I was not in the car at the time). I yelled out "HEY YOU HIT MY CAR!" and she yelled back "I DON'T CARE!" and drove away. It was too dark to get her plate or I sure as poo poo would have had her drunk rear end picked up. People loving suck and I can't wait until movement activated dashcams are standard in cars.

I have an almost 13 year old Corolla that I have taken great pains to keep in good shape over the years. I know its just a fuckin Corolla, and I know its almost old enough to drive itself, but it was the first car that I ever bought brand new, and I still want to keep it looking good for as long as I own it. However long that may be and I still park it far away from whatever store I happen to be going to, or try to keep it as far away from other cars as I can if I do have to park close to (something) because I really hate the fact that some fuckers are just going to be like "oh poo poo, I just opened my door in to that car, oh well, I don't care". Go gently caress yourself for just being all like "well I just tap them a little bit" or whatever. I hope some motherfucker just rams the gently caress out of your (parallel "parking tapper" OP) bumper and is all like "oh well, no witnesses guess I'm ok" and leaves.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

mastershakeman posted:

Traction and stability control and whether it helps slowly rocking other cars suspensions go wiggle into a spot

I was going to type something up but this guy explains it better than I can.

https://www.thedrive.com/cars-101/38902/electronic-stability-control

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

It depends heavily on the manufacturer as they all have different implementations. In general, TC or traction control will limit the power to the wheels when they start to slip to prevent you from losing traction (hence the name). This is most obvious in snow or heavy rain where even if you floor it, the car won't let you rev the engine. It's designed to keep you from doing sick burnoutsdigging yourself into a literal hole and can usually be turned off, at least partly. ESC or electronic stability control applies the brakes to individual wheels and cuts engine power when the car senses you starting to skid to help you regain control. It's designed to stop you from doing awesome downhill driftsoversteering into a ditch and usually can't be turned off except in cars specifically designed for high speed performance.

TL;DR:

TC helps prevent your wheels from spinning in low-traction situations.
ESC helps prevent you from losing control and dying in a horrible fiery crash.

I encourage you to get a car with both of these (all modern cars are legally required to have them) as well as a a 360 camera (cars aren't legally required to have them, but you should be)

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 11, 2021