Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PoorHobo posted:

I talked to REI, but I imagine everyone does. Any idea which companies sponsored them?

That resource is how I originally found the subreddit, but I’ve been wanting to hear goon reviews. For example, I hadn’t heard of the platypus filter until this thread.

They're pretty off the grid people, so I don't have a direct line to them. I'll see if one of our other friends remembers or can check. She's more in contact with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

PoorHobo posted:

Beginning pack list for PCT in mid April 2022. This isn’t separated into biomes like it should be, but consider me needing everything at least once, Rate my pack!

https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

Where did I go wrong, and what is for sure a good decision?

Just off the top of my head…

A 10° bag seems like overkill. I used a 20° I was probably hot half the nights.

Along the same lines adding a silk liner is probably overkill.

Three pairs of boxers is probably too many. You probably just need one backup. Most people probably just wear one all the time. I wore a pair of running shorts with a built in liner.

Same deal with the socks. One pair to wear, one to switch. You can put a third pair in a bounce box. Unless that third pair is for camp/sleeping. That’s definitely nice to have a clean pair to change into.

The survival bivvy isn’t really needed. That feels like dead weight

I would combine your knife and tweezers into one little multi tool.

Water bottles and plastic bags are essential and you’ll pick them up as you need. Every rest stop and gas station should have them so don’t worry about those. Hiker boxes are a good source of plastic bags too. Just eat/dump out whatever’s in there and now you’ve got a baggie.

Some water bladders that are easy to roll up and stash away will be useful.

You’ll want some hand sanitizer. You’ll probably also want headphones. I would personally swap the Apple Watch for a basic rear end Casio. Having too many electronics to charge gets old and it’s nice having a reliable source of time/alarms/etc.

A pair of gaiters is essential. Nothing worse than having to dump rocks out of your shoes every 100 yards.

I don’t see anything rain related. I had a rain kilt and a lightweight rain jacket. It loving sucks to get soaked in your only outfit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Something I would recommend as well is a portable bidet like this:

https://www.amazon.com/CuloClean-Po...8097766&sr=8-16

DRAMATICALLY cuts down on your use of toilet paper, gets you much cleaner.

I'd recommend a separate bottle for the water for this though, so you're not using your drinking water bottle down there. Maybe replace one of your regular drinking water bottles with one you can roll up and use one of the more firm, but still compressible bottles for this.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I have a CuloClean! That thing is awesome.

My method is basically find a good spot, dig a cat hole, use natural materials like leaves or sticks to clean as much as I can, then bidet (I use an old sawyer plastic bottle that came with filter), then just a bit of TP to dry off. Works pretty well for me.

Practice at home though a few times, or take your pants off first if you dont want poo poo water up and down your legs.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
The beautiful thing about thru hiking is you tend to get real clean wipes. Two or three squares mostly just to make sure.

Oh, and I don’t see a down jacket on the pack list. You’re gonna want a down jacket.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
Very good points from all of you, I especially like the bidet idea since it doesn’t rely on amount of TP or having to pack out any, plus makes you a bit cleaner.

As for the long post of advice, I’m on mobile so I can’t update the list very well right now, but those are good insights. I was worried about being too cold in the Sierras and haven’t sectioned it into 3 lists yet. Good to know that the combination of sleeping gear is overkill since it makes my list less expensive and lighter.

I like all of the feedback and I’ll post a change log probably tomorrow night with the insight given here.

Thank you all again.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

PoorHobo posted:

Beginning pack list for PCT in mid April 2022. This isn’t separated into biomes like it should be, but consider me needing everything at least once, Rate my pack!

https://lighterpack.com/r/22653l

Where did I go wrong, and what is for sure a good decision?

Seconding that a 10deg bag might be overkill but conversely I think the uberlight sleeping pad is on the cold side for e.g. the sierra nevada (depending on when you are going through there). A 20 deg bag and r=4-5 pad would probably be warmer than a 10deg bag and r=2.3 pad in most of the colder conditions you're likely to encounter. I'd take a 20 deg bag and higher r-value pad and ditch the liner--it would end up at a similar or lighter weight.

I'm confused by your clothing section since there isn't any rain gear or even any kind of insulation. Obviously those are important...You could use a rainjacket as a windbreaker but it's not advisable to rely on a windbreaker as a rainjacket (though a lot of the time it would be fine). Anyway take some kind of jacket lol. A lightweight fleece and lightweight down jacket are pretty standard.

It's nice to have something besides 100% DEET for mosquito repellent, since it melts plastic. Might be worth taking a picaridin based product and have DEET as emergency backup.

If we get a significant snow year, and/or depending on when you plan on entering the sierra , I would recommend having more substantial crampons.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012
My idea on a liner is that it helps preserve the bag against dirt and grime since it’s easier to clean than the bag, so i guess I could go for a light and not insulating liner for that reason.

For the clothing, I’m honestly way inexperienced. Do you have suggestions for a 6’4” 175 lb guy? Style is a non issue for me, so function is all that matters.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.

PoorHobo posted:

My idea on a liner is that it helps preserve the bag against dirt and grime since it’s easier to clean than the bag, so i guess I could go for a light and not insulating liner for that reason.

For the clothing, I’m honestly way inexperienced. Do you have suggestions for a 6’4” 175 lb guy? Style is a non issue for me, so function is all that matters.

I haven’t used it yet, but found an insect repellent liner from Sea to Summit. As much as I love the outdoors, ticks scare the poo poo out of me so was happy to find this:

https://www.rei.com/product/797112/sea-to-summit-adaptor-coolmax-mummy-sleeping-bag-liner-with-insect-shield

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Have a separate set of clothes for sleeping. It’s nice to sleep in “clean” clothes and then you don’t need to worry about the liner.

I’ve never used a camping bidet, but the thought of having to carry more water to wash my butt with sounds heavy. You don’t need to pick out the vast majority of your TP and you shouldn’t need to use too much.

I’ve never used the Uberlight pad but I remember hearing about durability issues. You might look into that.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Aug 5, 2021

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

PoorHobo posted:

I talked to REI, but I imagine everyone does. Any idea which companies sponsored them?

That resource is how I originally found the subreddit, but I’ve been wanting to hear goon reviews. For example, I hadn’t heard of the platypus filter until this thread.

I haven't been able to get a hold of them. I checked with another friend, and while she doesn't remember who sponsored them, it sounds like they sent out emails to and/or called many different gear companies. It helps to be willing to promote their product to online groups you're part of. Maybe look for smaller/more local companies trying to get bigger brand recognition.

PoorHobo
Dec 21, 2012

its all nice on rice posted:

I haven't been able to get a hold of them. I checked with another friend, and while she doesn't remember who sponsored them, it sounds like they sent out emails to and/or called many different gear companies. It helps to be willing to promote their product to online groups you're part of. Maybe look for smaller/more local companies trying to get bigger brand recognition.

Thanks for the information. I think I’ll come up with a template of sorts and start blasting out emails. I don’t mind repping gear if I genuinely enjoy it.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

One tip for preserving a UL sleep pad: use a 20”x40” version of one of these pads underneath it. I love mine and thinks it’s worth the extra 2 oz for the puncture protection alone, but once you realize it also acts as extra insulation when you’re sleeping AND a seat/rest pad for outside the tent, well :slick:

Carries great, too. I fold mine into a 10”x4”x1” rectangle and strap it to the top of my pack for easy access.

As far as sponsorships go, you may have some luck with these smaller cottage companies. Sawyer also seems to enjoy sponsoring people.

Senf fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Aug 6, 2021

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Recs for a sleeping bag for hiking Mt Kilimanjaro in December?

Most of the guides say to get something rated for -15F to avoid being uncomfortable the night before you summit. I am a 3 season camper in the US so I have some quilts and bags rated for 20-40F. I also have a 1.5" open cell foam pad that's reasonably portable.

I don't really want to drop hundreds for something I'm not likely to use again. Is renting a bag from the tour company (and bringing my own liner) for $40-50 a bad idea? Any reasonable options to buy something that might get later use?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Renting seems like the way to go imo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Goon opinion on the Ascend Hex 0 Degree Mummy?

For camping in and around PNW/Canada, temps around 5-20C.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Goon opinion on the Ascend Hex 0 Degree Mummy?

For camping in and around PNW/Canada, temps around 5-20C.

never heard of the brand; those long vertical stitches give me pause though. maybe find out if there's any internal baffles to keep all the fill from collecting at the ends

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Ascend is a BassPro/Cabelas house brand

Kelly makes a synthetic version of the Cosmic for the same price, I would rather go that option and stick with a trusted brand.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Recs for a sleeping bag for hiking Mt Kilimanjaro in December?

Most of the guides say to get something rated for -15F to avoid being uncomfortable the night before you summit. I am a 3 season camper in the US so I have some quilts and bags rated for 20-40F. I also have a 1.5" open cell foam pad that's reasonably portable.

I don't really want to drop hundreds for something I'm not likely to use again. Is renting a bag from the tour company (and bringing my own liner) for $40-50 a bad idea? Any reasonable options to buy something that might get later use?

If you plan on eventually doing e.g. winter mountaineering in the states or other ~4k max locales, something in the 0 or -5F range would be good for that, and would probably be ok for a -15 to -20F night if you wear a heavy down jacket and have a decent tent.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you have multiple bags and can manage the bulk and weight you could layer your bags. Heres a nice reference chart:
https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002770588-How-to-layer-quilts-for-sub-zero-camping

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i unknowingly rolled a big beetle up in my tent and he chewed a little hole in it. what's the best way to patch it?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Little bit of tenacious tape on both sides ought to take care of that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Surprised you didn't end up with a smear of beetle paste. I have to roll my tent up so tightly to get it back in the bag anything living in there is gonna turn into a pancake.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Loling at the chutzpah of that beetle though. "I aint going down like that, motherfucker!"

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if you are trapped in an inescapable web of repressive force which cares not a jot for your survival, is it not your moral duty to strike back in whatever means might be available, however futile it might seem?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I sure would. Who among us doesn't concoct stupid encounters in our head when on the trail and what we'd do when something furry and angry comes at us?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

xzzy posted:

I sure would. Who among us doesn't concoct stupid encounters in our head when on the trail and what we'd do when something furry and angry comes at us?

I can tell you from personal experience I just pulled my quilt up over my head, tried not to breathe and waited for the heavy crunching and snorfling to wander away.

That definitely wasn't my best night of sleep outdoors

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

OSU_Matthew posted:

I can tell you from personal experience I just pulled my quilt up over my head, tried not to breathe and waited for the heavy crunching and snorfling to wander away.

We're 14, 15 years old at Philmont, 1992, and the bear wakes me up maybe 5am. Me: "there's a bear in camp" and you respond "I'm in my magic sleeping bag and nothing can hurt me." And went back to sleep, rear end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

i was taught to always carry a dark-colored poncho in bear country so you can lift it up on your sticks to make yourself look 12 feet tall

e: poncho not parka

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

you don't have to out run the bear, just out run your friend :razz::razz:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chard posted:

you don't have to out run the bear, just out run your friend :razz::razz:

what friend

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

what friend

:negative:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

OSU_Matthew posted:

Basically this, except hippos.

gently caress hippos.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a Patagonia capilene cool trail shirt that I've loved for years, so I bought another one, but it's much larger than my original. I wouldn't expect Patagonia to have poor quality control. I think I'm going to exchange it, but does it seem more likely that I got a mis-sized one or that they changed the cut for each size? Just trying to decide what size to order here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I have a Patagonia capilene cool trail shirt that I've loved for years, so I bought another one, but it's much larger than my original. I wouldn't expect Patagonia to have poor quality control. I think I'm going to exchange it, but does it seem more likely that I got a mis-sized one or that they changed the cut for each size? Just trying to decide what size to order here.

They probably changed the cut. I've noticed this with some arcteryx stuff year to year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have some other Patagonia shirts that seem oddly large too, so maybe I'm just a medium in most of their stuff. I hate online shopping!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My biggest complaint about Patagonia capilene shirts is my nipples are out for the world to see. Does any know of a company that makes shirts like this that don't show your nipples so well?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you go to patagonia's website you can filter shirts by fit. The slim fit is like normal human clothing instead of a $80 tarp with arm holes

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nate fisher posted:

My biggest complaint about Patagonia capilene shirts is my nipples are out for the world to see. Does any know of a company that makes shirts like this that don't show your nipples so well?

Uniqlo airism tshirt in black?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Checking back in to say I got two merino (87% merino/13% nylon technically) t shirts for hiking, one from Icebreaker (as recommended here) and one from Wūru. Both at discount, so $39/ea.

I think I like the Wūru one more, but they’re nearly identical in terms of cut and stitching and of course material. Maybe it’s that the Wūru one came with a handwritten and personalized thank you note…