Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

This shows up as very red my monitor.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I can't see it on my monitor or phone but I am classically terrible with colour casts

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I see magenta in the highlights too

before/after a quick conversion

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Thanks for this, much better. I need to go practice to my colour editing, it's my greatest weakness.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Megabound posted:

Thanks for this, much better. I need to go practice to my colour editing, it's my greatest weakness.

One thing that may help you along is to use the auto tone/contrast/color adjustments, just as a checking tool. In most cases, it should immediately reveal any cast.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

I am also very bad at color correction and auto tone has always done a better job than me lol

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I also suck at color which is why I was doing b/w photography for a very long time.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
shoot lots of color neg film and you'll be forced to do it

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Auto tone makes half my pictures piss yellow. I just drag the RGB curves right up to their clipping points and sometimes try the dropper tool and go from there.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Something tells me that's not a valid phone number :crossarms:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We're doin diptychs over on the discord and it's good fun.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
i was tthinking of printing these as a pair but havent got around to it

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
August 8 by Ryan, on Flickr

Notice Me by Ryan, on Flickr

Irony by Ryan, on Flickr

Wood You Kindly by Ryan, on Flickr

Let Me Out by Ryan, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Really digging this one

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2021-08-07-4 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Nice

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, this is really nice

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 13, 2021

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

hell yeah

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Love it

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I don’t mean offense by this, I just want to try to learn to get better at taking pictures.

From a technical standpoint (framing, shadows, etc) what do you love about it?

E: I’ve wanted to ask this question a lot but have hesitated because I realize it can sound condescending.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

images are more than the sum of their parts - a successful picture is usually the coming together of those aspects you mentioned filtered through the photographer's specific vision. I don't know if a photo can necessarily be "understood" by breaking it down into its individual pieces, its gotta work as a cohesive unit with all of these things interacting with each other in a way that creates a new kind of alchemy.

that being said the things I like about that image are the colors, the composition, the buildings poking up in the background. but as a whole it sort of just speaks to my sensibilities and it pleases my mind.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

The interest is the relationship between the natural and human elements. The framing gives both leading lines to help navigate the frame, and light adding depth in planes with less immediate three dimensionality.

Sociologically, one can look at the use of space and the degree of maintenance and security, the proximity to the city, the provision for car parking, the activity of the distant people...

The kind of scene and photographic approach are also reminiscent of other photography, offering further interest to those viewers with such reference points.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

boop the snoot posted:

From a technical standpoint (framing, shadows, etc) what do you love about it?

I like that the tree shadows on the right create horizontals that contrast with the verticals of the buildings and bridge pylon . I like the way the bridge is framed between the buildings (until it swoops out of the way). I like that there is some overgrowth on the pylon, i'm always drawn to plants where they aren't supposed to be.

But like real nap poo poo said, theres more beyond that stuff. There is a sense of 'apartness' to me, like i'm on a greenway behind a warehouse under a bridge. a place that people usually just travel through, not a place where people hangout. In the distance you can see the buildings that people live and and work in and further down the path you can actually see a couple people. Lastly I like that the plant is trying take back its space.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I enjoy the left side leading off to the city and density via the road while the right side leads more towards nature while under the road that leads to the city nature is thriving and clawing back.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, this one I like.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
thank u to everyone who took the time to say something about my picture. while not meant for me i found your comments interesting and i really value the thoughts from folks in here

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eggsovereasy posted:

I like that there is some overgrowth on the pylon, i'm always drawn to plants where they aren't supposed to be.

Just to point out how this stuff is art and everyone sees things differently, I hate that pole and how it's crooked and feels like it could easily be cropped out without changing the feel of the scene. I'm very much into symmetry and straight lines and that pole feels like it does none of that. There is a valid counterpoint that I see where getting rid of it unbalances the image and gives the trees on the right too much weight, but I think for me the lesson there is that I just wouldn't take the picture because the chaos bugs me.

This is not to say it makes it a bad picture. Only that we all have different brains.

I do love the curve of the overpass and how it heads into the buildings, the road headed right and narrowing to a vanishing point, and the line of the overpass shadow kind of connecting the two. That's the kind of straight edge stuff I like to find.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the pole works very nicely in balancing the left side of the photo

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I love this set it gives me loving chills.