Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SirSamVimes posted:

How are you meant to weave when DPSing as a WHM by the way? As SCH I have Ruin II for that purpose, but as a WHM all I can really do is clip my next cast.

WrightOfWay posted:

If you don't have meaningful healing to do with Afflatus skills or Regen and you don't need to refresh Dia you just clip.

Often you should use lily heals to weave even if you don't have meaningful healing to do. A lily heal is 1/4 of an Afflatus Misery, which for all intents and purposes mean they do 225 potency worth of damage. That's slightly better than Ruin II, and can be used exactly like it. If burning a lily on pure damage (e: and a weave! Glare is always higher potency unless you get a weave out of the lily) costs you the ability to use a lily for movement or a more effective heal + weave later then it's a loss so be a little careful, but generally you can think of Afflatus Rapture and Solace as slightly stronger Ruin IIs that occasionally also do some useful healing.

You should also get into the habit of burning lilies up to your blood lily cap whenever the boss is untargetable, or between packs in dungeons. If doing so means you end up replacing a later in-combat lily heal with a Regen or Medica 2 then you usually come out ahead, since it means you got at least as many Miseries out and got to replace your lily heal with one with higher potency.

Ideally you do most of your weaving in Dia windows, but since Dia has a 30s cooldown and Assize has a 45s cooldown you'll only be able to weave every other Assize that way. For the other half you just burn a lily, if you can't time Misery for it. Presence of Mind should align with Dia if your refreshes are consistently on cadence. All your other oGCDs are heals so it should be no problem getting heal value out of any lilies used to weave them.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, I've been very impressed by how most players respond to wipes and struggles in dungeons. I was struggling on the final boss of the level 55 MSQ dungeon, which I was doing for the first time and as a healer (a role I'm still learning), and everyone was really patient and helpful despite it taking five tries or so, and my reliably being the weak link in the failures. I wish I could have commended the whole party -- it was a frustrating experience at times, but the players were great.

Yeah, I was doing Castrum Abania (spoiler since a dungeon name) the other night and that second boss, which I maintain is too complex for an MSQ duty, caused us to wipe 4 times and the group were still totally up for it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://saltedxiv.com/mch

Am I crazy or does this MCH guide not talk about when to use Rook/Queen?

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
I believe Rook/Queen damage scales linearly with the Battery used to summon it, so the answer is: literally whenever you'll get the full duration out of it, aka the boss isn't going invuln/untargetable soon. I'm not even sure if its effected by party buffs so there may not even be a case for trying to line it up. So long as you're not overcapping on Battery you're probably fine.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yeah, I was doing Castrum Abania (spoiler since a dungeon name) the other night and that second boss, which I maintain is too complex for an MSQ duty, caused us to wipe 4 times and the group were still totally up for it.

That boss has literally one mechanic.

He says that his cup runneth over with element X and element Y. You need to stand in element Z to get a buff that lets you damage him. He even has a buff bar so that if you miss what he says you can still check it.

fadam posted:

You're crazy, it's in the 'Frequently Asked Questions' at the bottom.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

edit: ^^ That boss also has an "orange towers" attack marker. I've seen a lot of sprouts who don't know you're supposed to have someone stand in each of those.

fadam posted:

In the FAQs, at the bottom of the page you linked:

Maximum Tomfoolery fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 11, 2021

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

drat didn't see it on my phone, thanks gang.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Crunching my way through the post ARR MSQ quests and I'm actually enjoying them. The fights are stepping up in difficulty now too which I like.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I spent time yesterday and today tackling story quests, because I learned that the Make It Rain event was going on, and since it ends tomorrow, I want to do the quest before it was too late.

Here are some things I took note of/wanted to ask about :

• One of the pieces of gear I obtained was a cloak with a hood, which has some good stats, but doesn't let me wear anything in the head slot. However, at this point (at Level 19), I've not found any other chest pieces that have better stats and free up the head slot
  • On that same topic, it seems like you can't equip eyewear and hats at the same time, because they both take up the head slot. I've not gotten access to the field clothing (or whatever you call the clothing you wear outside of combat), but maybe you can wear more items in more slots or something
  • From what I read from a quick search, field clothes aren't really available through the free trial, since most of them are sold on the market board (which is not available for the free trial). As a result, I decided to try joining the Weaver's Guild, though I didn't specifically start any quests for it. Once I got through the Lvl.10 Thamauturge quest, the game let me know that I can start learning other jobs/crafts, but that I should focus on my starting class. I figure learning a craft wouldn't mess with that, but I don't know if I should start with weaving or go with something else.
  • I felt like I wasn't following the story real well at first, but after reading online a bit, I realize that what I've played in Ul'dah up to this point is sort of the 'origin' story you get based on what job you picked, and that the Envoy quest segues in the the main story. The setup seems to be that you've got magic aether powers, you can fight the monsters the evil hooded guys conjure up, and there's another war with the Garlandean Empire brewing up. There's probably more, but I might have missed it from skimming through some of the quest dialog at times.
  • While I know you can play any/all jobs via one character, I was thinking about making another character at some point, if only to do the 'origin' quests for the other two cities. However, I was wondering if anyone experienced in the game plays multiple characters. You level pretty quickly from what I've seen, but I imagine depending on the job you pick, you end up redoing a lot of the same content from other classes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hellioning posted:

That boss has literally one mechanic.

He says that his cup runneth over with element X and element Y. You need to stand in element Z to get a buff that lets you damage him. He even has a buff bar so that if you miss what he says you can still check it.

You'd think it would be obvious, but I've had a couple groups where the DPS just Didn't Get It and kept dying to his counterattacks. I felt so bad for the healer, I even tried calling out every time he switched barriers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

So I spent time yesterday and today tackling story quests, because I learned that the Make It Rain event was going on, and since it ends tomorrow, I want to do the quest before it was too late.

• One of the pieces of gear I obtained was a cloak with a hood, which has some good stats, but doesn't let me wear anything in the head slot. However, at this point (at Level 19), I've not found any other chest pieces that have better stats and free up the head slot
  • On that same topic, it seems like you can't equip eyewear and hats at the same time, because they both take up the head slot. I've not gotten access to the field clothing (or whatever you call the clothing you wear outside of combat), but maybe you can wear more items in more slots or something
  • From what I read from a quick search, field clothes aren't really available through the free trial, since most of them are sold on the market board (which is not available for the free trial). As a result, I decided to try joining the Weaver's Guild, though I didn't specifically start any quests for it. Once I got through the Lvl.10 Thamauturge quest, the game let me know that I can start learning other jobs/crafts, but that I should focus on my starting class. I figure learning a craft wouldn't mess with that, but I don't know if I should start with weaving or go with something else.
  • I felt like I wasn't following the story real well at first, but after reading online a bit, I realize that what I've played in Ul'dah up to this point is sort of the 'origin' story you get based on what job you picked, and that the Envoy quest segues in the the main story. The setup seems to be that you've got magic aether powers, you can fight the monsters the evil hooded guys conjure up, and there's another war with the Garlandean Empire brewing up. There's probably more, but I might have missed it from skimming through some of the quest dialog at times.
  • While I know you can play any/all jobs via one character, I was thinking about making another character at some point, if only to do the 'origin' quests for the other two cities. However, I was wondering if anyone experienced in the game plays multiple characters. You level pretty quickly from what I've seen, but I imagine depending on the job you pick, you end up redoing a lot of the same content from other classes.

Yeah, the multiple slot armor thing is a relic of 1.0 and doesn't happen later.

There's no such thing as 'field clothes'. The Glamour System, which allows you to replace the appearance of the gear you're wearing with other girl that you can equip, is available on the free trial, and you don't need to use specific armor pieces for it.

That's basically the pre level 15 story, yes.

As the idiot with too many alts, you will repeat a lot of the same content, yes. Levelling isn't really the issue, it's simply a matter of having to do all the content over and over again; even if you skip all the cutscenes, it still takes a while to get caught up with the MSQ. There's certainly nothing wrong with making alts for the other 2 city-state storylines, since that happens pretty quick and levelling isn't an issue, but I wouldn't make more alts unless you really want to try out other races and don't think you have enough space for all of your cosmetics.

Like me.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Good questions!

1) Combo chest/head armor is mostly just an early game thing, with a few weird exceptions later. Use them until you get better gear, it's normal at some level ranges on a few roles (mages/tanks)
2) Some hats have built in glasses/visors/monocles/etc (that you can toggle via the visor button or /visor command) but you can't layer multiple head glamour items like glasses and a headband or something.
3) If you want to poke at crafting go with whatever interests you. I'm not sure that there's any low level recipes for glamour items, though (while many glamour items can be worn at any level the recipes are probably going to be higher level).
4) You've got the gist of it; the origins for each town are basically you getting onto the radar of the Scions and local authorities so they have reason to funnel you to the main combined story past the intro. A lot of detail gets added from there.
5) A few folks have alts, but it's generally for very specific purposes; playing with friends on multiple data centers, having different race characters because they really like separating their job roles by race a la other MMOs, progression raiding with multiple raid groups, etc. Thanks to New Game Plus you no longer need to roll a brand new alt to replay the story outside of the different city intros.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Max Wilco posted:

[*]One of the pieces of gear I obtained was a cloak with a hood, which has some good stats, but doesn't let me wear anything in the head slot. However, at this point (at Level 19), I've not found any other chest pieces that have better stats and free up the head slot

The hooded chestpieces will usually be better than a plain chestpiece, because they're using two slots. Compare them against a chest+hood combination, not just chest-to-chest

quote:

[*]On that same topic, it seems like you can't equip eyewear and hats at the same time, because they both take up the head slot. I've not gotten access to the field clothing (or whatever you call the clothing you wear outside of combat), but maybe you can wear more items in more slots or something

There's no such thing as "clothes you wear outside of combat". "Field Gear" is for gathering and crafting classes. To change the look of your stuff, you'll have to play far enough to unlock glamours.

quote:

[*]From what I read from a quick search, field clothes aren't really available through the free trial, since most of them are sold on the market board (which is not available for the free trial). As a result, I decided to try joining the Weaver's Guild, though I didn't specifically start any quests for it. Once I got through the Lvl.10 Thamauturge quest, the game let me know that I can start learning other jobs/crafts, but that I should focus on my starting class. I figure learning a craft wouldn't mess with that, but I don't know if I should start with weaving or go with something else.

In theory, trying to level multiple combat classes will delay your progress on the main storyline, and that's what really gates your capabilities. As things are, you're going to outlevel the MSQ anyway, so it isn't so important. Crafting and gathering classes are irrelevant for this because you can't progress the storyline with them anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
for the most part you can just mash the "equip best gear button" and not worry about it

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Max Wilco posted:

Gear that covers both body and head is fine to use, it's statted to be the equivalent of both pieces. They stop making equipment like that after ARR, it's one of those weird abandoned ideas.

Yeah hats and glasses are in the same slot, it's annoying! Largely due to old code in the gear system, they recently added like "fashion accessories" (just parasols and angel wings for now, I think), and they can only be used in town and technically use your mount slot.

Crafting is going to be very difficult to get into in the free trial. The crafting classes have a lot of interdependencies, so the only way to be remotely self-sufficient is to do everything all at once. The only exception is culinarian, which starts in Limsa Lominsa, and only relies on materials gathered by fishers and botanists (also monster meat you get from regular adventuring, natch). Feel free to try them out, the crafting system is really fun, but just be forewarned that you're really going to be missing the market board if you do.

The intro/origin quests only last until level 15, so starting over to do those wouldn't be a huge investment. Alts in general are, like, mostly for people at max level who have done everything already. There's just no practical reason to do it. Even if you want to replay the story, there's a new game+ system now that allows you to do that on the same character.

Leveling other classes goes faster because of the armoury bonus (+100% XP for every class lower than your highest), but slower because you don't have that sweet, sweet MSQ XP. It's very different from your first class, you can start off doing leves and your hunting log, which will get you to level 15 where you can start doing dungeons and leveling roulette. Duty roulettes are like a system you get matched with people doing a random dungeon or boss fight (trial) or raid based on the category, which gives you bonus XP based on your level once a day. This is the bread and butter of level grinding and grinding endgame currencies. There are other things to break it up, you can do sidequests (terrible XP, but interesting worldbuilding), beast tribe quests, Deep Dungeons, and so on.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I do think it's worth pointing to Max Wilco, and I may be projecting a bit since I see some of my own behaviors reflected, that there is no need to overthink the game. just go do the MSQ, and the quests with the blue plus signs.

no need to min-max the stats of your starting race so you can have an extra 3 points in INT, or maximize rested EXP, or build a complex system of nested crafting interdependencies, or keep all your early game gear so you don't have to re-buy when you are leveling an alt class 50 hours into the future.... just play the game. dive into the various rabbit holes that the game so graciously provides if you wish to, but any headaches, worries, or misunderstandings arising from trying to "get" everything before you do your first dungeon. well. they will solve themselves if you just play the game.

and don't feel pressured to rush the MSQ just so you can do the Make It Rain quest but maybe that goes without saying. unless that happens to be fun for you!

FFXIV: if it's not fun don't worry about it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Gnoman posted:

The hooded chestpieces will usually be better than a plain chestpiece, because they're using two slots. Compare them against a chest+hood combination, not just chest-to-chest

There's no such thing as "clothes you wear outside of combat". "Field Gear" is for gathering and crafting classes. To change the look of your stuff, you'll have to play far enough to unlock glamours.

I didn't pick up on the two-slot thing; I figured it was just accounting for the chest slot, so I figured it would be better to find a chest piece with higher stats that left the head slot open. I think what annoyed me more was that the hooded chestpiece obscures your face in a lot of cutscenes.

I guess I just saw 'field clothes' at one of the vendor, and I read 'field' as referring the overworld, or areas outside of combat as you see it referred to in other JRPGs.

catgirlgenius posted:

I do think it's worth pointing to Max Wilco, and I may be projecting a bit since I see some of my own behaviors reflected, that there is no need to overthink the game. just go do the MSQ, and the quests with the blue plus signs.

no need to min-max the stats of your starting race so you can have an extra 3 points in INT, or maximize rested EXP, or build a complex system of nested crafting interdependencies, or keep all your early game gear so you don't have to re-buy when you are leveling an alt class 50 hours into the future.... just play the game. dive into the various rabbit holes that the game so graciously provides if you wish to, but any headaches, worries, or misunderstandings arising from trying to "get" everything before you do your first dungeon. well. they will solve themselves if you just play the game.

and don't feel pressured to rush the MSQ just so you can do the Make It Rain quest but maybe that goes without saying. unless that happens to be fun for you!

FFXIV: if it's not fun don't worry about it

As far as rushing the MSQ goes, I didn't skip cutscenes or anything drastic; I still did side-quests (most of the majority of which were in the same areas or routes as the MSQ stuff.) My first day with the game, I ended up ignoring a lot of MSQ stuff for side-quests, so I might be a bit overleveled (though the instance fights I did level synched me up a level, despite the wiki listing for them being lower. The Envoy quest is Lvl.15, but the fight with bandits with the crown I think wanted me at Lvl.18.) I also hadn't played any of the game since the day I first started it, so I thought to sit down and try and play to that point so I could do the quest and get the emote.

I'm glad I did, because the quest was interesting (though finding the NPCs you need to talk to among the 50,000 other names floating on the screen is kind of annoying), and I got to meet Godbert Manderville.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Max Wilco posted:

(though finding the NPCs you need to talk to among the 50,000 other names floating on the screen is kind of annoying)

there is a keybind for this! (in, of course, the keybinds menu)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mister Olympus posted:

there is a keybind for this! (in, of course, the keybinds menu)

It's X (held down) by default. An absolute necessity on patch days, when you're caught up on the MSQ. There'll be dozens of players standing around every quest NPC, especially ones that have cutscenes attached to their step.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Are there any ways to increase the Glamour cap? Or ways to tell apart gear that’s the same model, just a different color?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

the glamour dresser is fixed in size, but when they figure out some sort of code optimization generally they pay dividends by increasing either inventory or dresser space

when hovering over an item's tooltip, look at the name for a second. the name will change between what the item actually is and what it is glamoured to

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Are there any ways to increase the Glamour cap? Or ways to tell apart gear that’s the same model, just a different color?

If you mean the number of glamour plates, then no. Sadly it's stuck at 15 for now. If you mean the number of items in the glamour dresser: also no :(

You can tell what color gear is dyed by the little circle in the upper right corner of the icon. If there's an empty circle, it means it's dyeable but is currently the default color. No circle means it's not dyeable. Also, the plus icon means it's glamoured, and the list icon means it's assigned to a gear set.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also if you know the npc you want is in the pile of names you can use numpad 0 to select and then interact with the npc. Works for any interactables.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I need a glamour plate for every job Yoshi. Even the DoL and DoH ones!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I had no idea there was a vendor with discounted stuff on it for the event in the golden saucer. I bought the whole gambler set and a cactuar weapon for full price.

Ah well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Begemot posted:

It's X (held down) by default. An absolute necessity on patch days, when you're caught up on the MSQ. There'll be dozens of players standing around every quest NPC, especially ones that have cutscenes attached to their step.

For people like me that use X for actions and don't want to find another keybind for this functionality, you can double-tap the 0 key on your numpad if you have one to automatically target an NPC near you and interact with them. (One tap will just target them if you'd prefer that.)

The numpad in general is more useful than you might think. It works a bit like a controller for menu navigation under default bindings. I find it very handy and quicker than a mouse when I'm doing repeated tasks like turn-ins and such.

(This is a great accessibility feature too, because there's a bunch of extra stuff to rebind that you normally can't in a KB+M setup. As such, you're not forced to use just a controller (real or virtual) if you have another setup that you prefer.)

If that's not your jam, you can of course rebind it to a hotbar, whether that's for actions in combat or (what I'd most likely use it for if I ever decided to) miscellaneous or menu stuff that you put on a hotbar for ease of use.

Regalingualius posted:

Or ways to tell apart gear that’s the same model, just a different color?

In-game there's not too much you can do aside from using the Try On feature, plus it will always show the glamoured version and never the base. If you know the name of an item you can just Google it and there's a number of sites that will show pictures.

I prefer the Garland Tools database because there's a Same Model section that shows items that have exactly that, mostly so I can see if there's a dyeable version of something I like. It does have a 3D model viewer too, so you can check out what an item looks like. It unfortunately only shows the major differences, like Mi'qote specific versions of a hat, and won't show the differences between a Hyur and an Elezen wearing it, for example.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Onean posted:

It unfortunately only shows the major differences, like Mi'qote specific versions of a hat, and won't show the differences between a Hyur and an Elezen wearing it, for example.

For that you can use FF14 Model Viewer which lets you dress up a generic character model in whatever you want, and preview dyes. The textures are low quality but it works great.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh, that's handy. It would have saved me a bit of time a little while ago. (I found a pair of boots that I really liked but were undyeable, so I pulled up the dyeable versions and tried them out in-game, only to find that none of them dyed as well as I wanted.)

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

The better solution is to rebind "confirm" to something in addition to numpad0. I have it as "g" and just mash that all the time, way faster than using x and clicking.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That's a great idea, but I have ~-6, Q-T, A-H and Z-B all rebound as movement or actions so I've got no nearby keybinds open, unfortunately.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So is there just a long dry stretch with the main story EXP-wise after you finish the original campaign? ‘Cause I’m only getting 4K exp per each step of the MSQ right now.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So is there just a long dry stretch with the main story EXP-wise after you finish the original campaign? ‘Cause I’m only getting 4K exp per each step of the MSQ right now.

yep! this was all content created when level 50 was the cap and there was no exp reward associated. unless you do a lot of roulettes, your level won't move until it should be moving again at heavensward.

e: with this in mind, and the interesting series of posts in the main thread, i wonder if an effortpost on the history of how ff14 content patches has gone is warranted. it's an interesting paradigm because even from the very beginning, the ethos of a constant three-month content cycle, with certain fixed features that will always be in a corresponding-numbered patch, was where their design intent was from the beginning. but so much has changed within that structure!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Regalingualius posted:

While the MSQ will be shorting you on XP until you reach Heavensward, you should post-50 be unlocking a huge amount of optional dungeons which I recommend doing, all of which will shower you in XP as well as (particularly for a first time clear) give you tomestones which you can spend to get Augmented Ironworks gear, the best level 50 gear which will carry you halfway through Heavensward.

This cycle will repeat at each expansion breakpoint - you beat the story, then you get all the optional and side stuff and get the next stage of tomestone gear.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I made it to 38 BLM today and I think up until I unlock RDM, I'll probably be all-in on that. It's nice to just sort of sit back and blow stuff up from a (minimum safe) distance.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Onean posted:

In-game there's not too much you can do aside from using the Try On feature, plus it will always show the glamoured version and never the base. If you know the name of an item you can just Google it and there's a number of sites that will show pictures.

There's a workaround for "I want to try on the base model appearance for gear I have a glamour already on"!

1) do an /isearch for the gear in question (ex. /isearch Ironworks)
2) find the item in the search results in your chat bar
3) right click the item, try on

Item search just tracks what items you have in one of your inventories/storage solutions, not what glam or color it currently has.

And of course if it's not a piece you yourself have you can ask in FC if someone can link the item to try it on as well.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 11, 2021

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I thought I had given up on MMOs but with the FFXIV boom I learned that there is a generous free trial, had no idea. I've always played DPS but after Archer did not click I decided to roll a tanking class (gladiator) instead. Tanked for the first time in my life in Tam-Tara Deepcroft: people wishing me luck after I said that I'm tanking for the first time and giving me commendations at the end gave me a big smile.

Despite eyeing this game from time to time I never picked it up before because the Final Fantasy aesthetics haven't ever really appealed to me but so far it seems like a chill and fun experience. Posting this just so say my thoughts aloud heh

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You've already learned a valuable lesson, too - don't hesitate to speak up about your inexperience, it is in no way a demerit to the community. Glad you had a good experience!

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

fadam posted:

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

In the FAQs, at the bottom of the page you linked:

Rook optimization doesn't matter so much now but I believe there's a weird thing about activating at 60, 80, and 100 battery? Something like those values get an extra attack in.

For that Queen optimization, I go by the raid buff* timer idea and get Queen out when other classes should be using their buffs rather than thinking about using it around every third Drill. When doing Savage fights I have an ACT overlay called Kagerou showing on my screen and it has a fight timer on it. It works out to basically every minute but at ~5 and ~7 minutes I usually use Queen as soon as my gauge gets to 50 or 60 since there are no buffs in those windows unless there's a Ninja in the party.

*New player thread so I will mention what is meant by raid buffs! Most of the classes have cooldowns that give buffs to the rest of the party that people should be using whenever they are available. These have cooldowns of 60 seconds (Ninja), 90 seconds (Monk), two minutes (a lot of stuff), and three minutes (also a lot of stuff). For casual play this doesn't matter too much but in harder content a class like Machinist can plan around these buff windows to maximize damage output, which can be needed to reach the damage requirement in Extreme and harder content.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is there a good squadron guide somewhere to follow? It seems like a neat system, but I don't know anything about it past "send 4 folks on a mission I can check in the morning" and folks are talking about doing dungeons with them and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I can't rewatch it to make sure it's exactly what you want, but I remember this being a decent overview, at least:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsectSvBFFY

Here's one that specifically focuses on running leveling dungeons with them, which recommends the previous one for the other stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcdzYetxsxs