Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It's stretching the definition of monarchy a bit, but Edo Period Japan is a potential example. There was nothing approaching even a veneer of popular representation, and in fact the population was rigidly controlled in terms of both social and actual physical mobility. At the same time it was a ~250 year period of stability, peace, economic growth, and flourishing of the arts and culture. Quality of life was also pretty good relative to most other nations of the time, even for peasants. Generally you only saw isolated popular uprisings caused by local magistrates deciding to hike up taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think what makes a surviving monarchy remarkable is surviving into modernity, since that seems to be where you get the cocktail of social forces that made a lot of the old monarchies fall, either to more modern dictatorships* and autocracies or to modern democracies. Or even greatly compromising on monarchic authority to introduce modern democracy into the ancient framework. A lot of states lasted for long periods before modern democracy was developed, which isn't much of an accomplishment in an era where it's seemingly the default aside from a few weird exceptions that also aren't great.

And then happiness is pretty subjective, so I'm not sure how you'd measure it. A lot of people can be generally satisfied with existing in a world they have little to no say in so long as various needs are met. It seems like one of the big reason monarchies fall is just from the relative lack of versatility so that when things start going bad, the monarchs have no idea until way too late, whereas more modern democracies will have huge nation-wide discourses that highlight issues for responses.

*The line between monarchy and dictatorship being fairly blurry and probably very subjective

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

The Romans come to mind. There really weren't very many popular revolts, most strife was from the ruling class or invasion. The Romans weren't a centralized monarchy though, even a thousand years after Augustus there were still some democratic institutions.

I guess it depends on whether you consider slaves part of the population because getting worked to death in a mine in Iberia wasn't a fun time.

Going back to Nicholas, another thing to keep on the scoreboard is that he was as responsible for world war 1 as anyone. Russia's stubbornness in how it mobilized and dragged its feet negotiating with Germany was one of the big dominoes that fell.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I don't think "were ancient societies happy" is a realistic question we'll ever be able to answer, because so much of the historical record is just a series of "great man did this, great man did that" events. 99.9% of the world's historic population basically doesn't exist in the records we have.

Personally I feel the biggest driver behind most of the revolutions we've seen has been the rise of middle classes - the doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen and so on, who aren't part of the upper crust or nobility. It's when these guys start realising they're getting totally screwed by incompetence/malevolance/disinterest from above, they start agitating for changes. And since they've got some wealth and means, they've also got the ability to make themselves heard in small groups, whereas with peasants it takes a huge critical mass to get things accomplished.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

buglord posted:

Were there any monarchies in history that survived with a generally happy population? Or does a happy and efficient monarchy just switch into a democracy?

:britain:

The Lichtensteiners are still going right? Though I'm not sure how much power they weild, but I think it's a fair amount.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

:britain:

The Lichtensteiners are still going right? Though I'm not sure how much power they weild, but I think it's a fair amount.

Monaco too. It's easier when you're running a rich statelet. I assume part of the reason it's easier is because it's relatively simple for anyone who doesn't like the status quo to leave.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh and I guess the Saudis are still going full tilt, that's probably the best example. I have no idea whether ordinary Saudis are "happy" but they seem non-riotous at least.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Brunei is still a monarchy iirc? Jordan and Oman as well I think

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

To the extent that the Saudis are happy, it's because they're exploiting what is near slave labor at best, and which does at times veer into outright slavery at worst. On top of being a petrostate, obviously.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

webmeister posted:

I don't think "were ancient societies happy" is a realistic question we'll ever be able to answer, because so much of the historical record is just a series of "great man did this, great man did that" events. 99.9% of the world's historic population basically doesn't exist in the records we have.

Personally I feel the biggest driver behind most of the revolutions we've seen has been the rise of middle classes - the doctors, lawyers, teachers, businessmen and so on, who aren't part of the upper crust or nobility. It's when these guys start realising they're getting totally screwed by incompetence/malevolance/disinterest from above, they start agitating for changes. And since they've got some wealth and means, they've also got the ability to make themselves heard in small groups, whereas with peasants it takes a huge critical mass to get things accomplished.

That's more or less classic marxist theory on first stage revolutions (the one you need to set up the preconditions for a communist revolution).

You have people with large groups of money but without access to power (merchants, factory owners, professionals) and an aristocracy with power but with less and less wealth. Especially once those aristocracies start to lose their military role, the rich people go "why are we keeping these nobles around".

Peasant uprisings kill a lot of people and historically weren't uncommon, but they very rarely coalesced into a new government in the way bourgeoisie revolutions do.

SerCypher fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 4, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Apparently Mike Duncan's stuff on Haiti is getting misrepresented somewhere?

https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1423319770154340352

Does anyone know the fuller context for this?

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

CommonShore posted:

Does anyone know the fuller context for this?

This article, I think:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outl...0942_story.html

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The article basically says it wasn't genocide because some white people weren't killed (which is an absurd standard since genocide can obviously be more specific than just skin color, and doesn't require 100% of the target population to be eradicated) and also because it was justified because they were colonizers so how dare you call it genocide. I think it's totally reasonable to understand why it happened, and failing to contextualize it in a way that makes Haitians the villains of the story would obviously be unfair/racist (and isn't what Duncan did, obviously) but just handwaving civilian massacres away as anti-colonialism (which obviously carries a positive connotation) isn't really an accurate telling of history so much as speaking euphemistically about an inconvenient truth.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The passage in question. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't remember Duncan saying anything of the kind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, systematically murdering all the specifically French whites on the island still counts as a bit of a genocide. Not a very big genocide so far as genocides go (wikipedia says like 3,000 to 5,000 people were killed, and at least ten times that amount were killed in the aftermath of the war in the Vendee), but still. At least an ethnic cleansing. Killing people because of their ethnic background as opposed to like political affiliation.

It would also be remiss to not mention that before the war ended, things got real nasty and the French forces were doing massacres (apparently Rochambeau even invented gas chambers in the process) as well as the Haitian forces, which doesn't make any of the civilian massacres right, but it puts them in greater context.

I do wonder how much the massacre of French whites specifically played into how Haiti was politically isolated for a while after independence, since usually people blame it on the nations with slaves being nervous about slave revolts instead. I guess also if Haiti had more native-born whites, that could've been a diplomatic asset when dealing with racist cultures, but that's getting pretty abstract.

Terrible Opinions posted:

The passage in question. Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't remember Duncan saying anything of the kind.

He did in the podcast say that soldiers would rape the women, which I'm inclined to believe just because soldiers are generally known for such things, but there was also something about systematically goading their victims into digging up and paying out bribes for their survival and then killing them anyways.

It really sounded like pretty brutal stuff, but it's also, y'know, a systematic mass-murder, so I'm not sure the specifics of what they did with their victims before killing them really matters that much compared to the main crime.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 5, 2021

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Colonizers are the real victims here great job guys

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

evilpicard posted:

Colonizers are the real victims here great job guys

That definitely looks like a good faith reading of what was said here, great job.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Remember when Rokossovsky genocided all the Germans living in Stalingrad

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Didn't know the Germans had a bunch of women and children born into living there, weird! Also the Soviets did accept Nazi surrenders, even if the treatment was obviously not always up to Geneva Convention standards.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

evilpicard posted:

Remember when Rokossovsky genocided all the Germans living in Stalingrad

that would certainly be news to the thousands of German prisoners taken during the battle

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Terrible Opinions posted:

Duncan did make it very clear that the target was the French and not whites in general. There was for instance a large polish population that stayed in Haiti. And Dessalines was keen not to antagonize the US or UK people he'd planned to trade with.

That kinda still makes it a genocide of the French though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I feel like this is quibbling because the actually thing is I don’t remember anything other than killing being mentioned outside the slave structure

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do wonder how much the massacre of French whites specifically played into how Haiti was politically isolated for a while after independence, since usually people blame it on the nations with slaves being nervous about slave revolts instead. I guess also if Haiti had more native-born whites, that could've been a diplomatic asset when dealing with racist cultures, but that's getting pretty abstract.

The fact that all the international merchants were allowed to leave having witnessed/heard the cries of french men, women, and children get forcefully rounded up and killed is a titanic diplomatic blunder.

And the atrocity is only going to play into the racist stereotypes of the time as well.

A blatant, organized rounding up of white women and children followd by their summary execution is something that every newspaper of the day would happily print on the front page as soon as the merchants in Haiti arrived at their home port.

Dessalines never thought about what letting all the merchants and non-french witness what he was doing would mean.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Eh as mentioned in the episode merchants were fine to go back….until they realized the massive resource of the colony just did not exist in the new state. Remember this is the era of the extermination of the Native Americans

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh as mentioned in the episode merchants were fine to go back….until they realized the massive resource of the colony just did not exist in the new state. Remember this is the era of the extermination of the Native Americans

Yeah this was really the issue. Toussaint and Dessalines were very keen to make the cash crop machine keep going, and merchants were quite happy to ignore their qualms if they got some of that sugar- Adams, and Hamilton even helped Toussaint write his Constitution.

But there was basically no sugar without slavery so the merchants stopped caring and political will to stand with Haiti evaporated, especially once Jefferson and more enthusiastic slaveowning interests in America came to power.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/john-adams-supports-toussaint-louverture-horrifies-jefferson/

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

One interesting thing I read recently is that Haiti and the Dominican Republic actually had pretty similar per capita GDPs well into the mid 20th Century, which complicates a lot of narratives about Haiti's distant past being responsible for its present. You can still attempt to draw a line by suggesting that Haiti's institutional failures and distrust of foreign capital could be affected by the past, but then you still have to explain why they weren't really doing worse than the DR until relatively recently. The DR did have longer life expectancy, so maybe some seeds had already been planted that led to greater economic success later, but the divergence coming after Haiti had finished paying off its (still brutally unfair) indemnities suggests that cause for their current circumstances has been overblown too. And just to be clear, the Dominican Republic isn't just doing well in comparison to Haiti, but seems to be on a path to become richer (per capita) than countries like Mexico and Brazil.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

SerCypher posted:

Peasant uprisings kill a lot of people and historically weren't uncommon, but they very rarely coalesced into a new government in the way bourgeoisie revolutions do.

On the whole, peasant uprisings tend to be more about demanding concessions from the existing power structure, rather than replacing it wholesale.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yup. Patrick Wyman did a good episode on it: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1NUizZVVyiPmBmM55LAqdE?si=FKe0IkuEQlKXUPbvm7vwpQ&utm_source=copy-link&dl_branch=1

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You have to remember, a lot of peasants believed their rulers had their best interest at heart.

It obviously must be the monarch didn’t know their sorrows, or worse, a bad advisor was lying to the king. So remove him and everything will be better!

It never got better and mostly ended with then dying horribly

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah the idea that you can make a new system of government isn’t as obvious as it might seem to us.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

CharlestheHammer posted:

You have to remember, a lot of peasants believed their rulers had their best interest at heart.

It obviously must be the monarch didn’t know their sorrows, or worse, a bad advisor was lying to the king. So remove him and everything will be better!

It never got better and mostly ended with then dying horribly

See Father Gapon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone here ever bought Patreon or otherwise paid episodes of podcasts? How did that go? Is it a pain in the taint to add Patreon episodes to regular podcast software?

Specifically I'm thinking about buying the bonuses from History of Rome, History of Byzantium, History of English, and When Diplomacy Fails, because I'm pretty much caught up on all of my podcasts right now.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's usually just a second password protected feed

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

CommonShore posted:

Has anyone here ever bought Patreon or otherwise paid episodes of podcasts? How did that go? Is it a pain in the taint to add Patreon episodes to regular podcast software?

Specifically I'm thinking about buying the bonuses from History of Rome, History of Byzantium, History of English, and When Diplomacy Fails, because I'm pretty much caught up on all of my podcasts right now.

I haven’t subscribed to any historical podcast Patreons but from my experience subscribing to others what usually happens is that either you are forced to listen to the bonus episodes from the Patreon app (which sucks but not as much as it used to) or if the host is more tech savvy, they will create a custom RSS feed that you can then subscribe to with your app of choice (Pocket Casts for example allows you to subscribe to RSS feed but by the unintuitive method of pasting the link in the podcast search bar).

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CommonShore posted:

If they just let you download MP3s it's rough. Most podcasts (especially Patreon stuff) will have a subscriber-only RSS feed that you plug a username and password into in your podcast app, after that it acts like a normal feed. The history of Rome supplementals were all just mp3s back during the fundraiser, don't know if they're easier to use now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok well all of that sounds easy and good. Thanks!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Back when I had a less-dim view of Carlin I bought a package of all the HH's to date during a winter holiday sale he was having, it was just a link to download a bunch of .mp3's that all had unclear file names that I manually had to rejigger to be easily navigable. But that's Carlin who's a dinosaur so I assume most other podcasts have a cleaner way of handling it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

They’ve also started to incorporate that stuff into the default Apple Podcasts app, which if you’re lazy and a glutton for punishment like me you still use. It looks like this, though I’ve never used it:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I'm sure there's, like, one of you in this thread who hasn't heard yet, but apparently Mike Duncan has written a twelve song pop-punk rock opera about the French revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Arrhythmia posted:

I'm sure there's, like, one of you in this thread who hasn't heard yet, but apparently Mike Duncan has written a twelve song pop-punk rock opera about the French revolution.

Wh-