Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Geemer posted:

I'll have to look into if that'll work with my ancient mouse, thanks for the suggestion!

If you still have a problem and are using the Logitech software then try turning off smooth scrolling (only in the Logitech software).

I was having a very similar sounding problem and this fixed it without causing issues with anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Time for another "annoy users to be more like Chrome" change:
https://www.ghacks.net/2021/08/04/a-close-look-at-firefox-91s-new-file-download-opening-behavior/

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
For gently caress's sake, really? The article even lists why it's an annoying change: No, I don't need to clutter my DL folder with small disposable files like pdfs and torrents.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Did anyone else get a little survey in Firefox today? It popped up on my work laptop, mostly asking about how I use it in comparison with other browsers.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Serephina posted:

For gently caress's sake, really? The article even lists why it's an annoying change: No, I don't need to clutter my DL folder with small disposable files like pdfs and torrents.

OTOH, I'm all for this - accidentally clicking open and then wondering why the file I had to go through two logins and a captcha to get to is nowhere to be found was a bit of an annoyance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just consider potential compliance issues if you're using the browser for work and download-opening various files with sensitive content. If you aren't aware that they suddenly start littering your Downloads folder but thought they were in a temp folder that got cleaned automatically, you've now got a pile of data on your machine you might not be allowed to store.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.
Those of you with gmail resource hogging woes can go oldschool with the javascriptless version: https://mail.google.com/mail/h/80dtbe4egyk5/?zy=e&f=1

I've been using it for years and years. I remember when the link to switch to it used to be in the footer!

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Is there a way to simultaneously install both version 86 (or older) and the current 90 and also prevent 86 from ever updating?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can you really not rearrange bookmarks at all anymore?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

~Coxy posted:

What?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

dustin.h posted:

Is there a way to simultaneously install both version 86 (or older) and the current 90 and also prevent 86 from ever updating?
You can probably run the Portable Apps version of 86 and disable updates in it. It's been a while since I've used anything from Portable Apps though and it looks like they've gotten all weird and are trying to build their own app store and ecosystem? It used to just be a standalone EXE you ran. But if you do it make sure you keep separate profiles for the legacy and current versions.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/portableapps/files/Mozilla%20Firefox%2C%20Portable%20Ed./

~Coxy posted:

You should be able to just drag and drop them to rearrange them? At least I can on Linux, so I assume it works the same on other platforms. Worst case go into the confusingly-named Show All Bookmarks and you can manage them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
If Firefox actually got rid of the ability to even rearrange their bookmarks, I honestly think that would be it for me.

Firefox v91: right-click, sort bookmarks by date.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

dustin.h posted:

...and also prevent 86 from ever updating?

Miss Hoover: https://github.com/mozilla/policy-templates#disableappupdate

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Well, not only did 91.0 remove the ability to disable the lovely Proton UI, but now in my settings none of the checkboxes show a check or not.

The gray box is what I see briefly when I click on a checkbox, then it's blank again.

EDIT: Well, I found out that it's due to the browser.proton.enabled switch in about :config I (and a lot of others) set to false back a while ago so I could keep the old UI elements for a bit. Apparently the new version ignores that, but doesn't REMOVE it, and it somehow fucks up the setting UI if it's kept on. If you set it back the true and reboot FF it works again. Just FYI to anyone else.

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 11, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I swear up and down that yesterday I could not drag-arrange bookmarks in either the menu or the Show All Bookmarks, but today I can.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Neophyte posted:

Well, not only did 91.0 remove the ability to disable the lovely Proton UI, but now in my settings none of the checkboxes show a check or not.

The gray box is what I see briefly when I click on a checkbox, then it's blank again.

EDIT: Well, I found out that it's due to the browser.proton.enabled switch in about :config I (and a lot of others) set to false back a while ago so I could keep the old UI elements for a bit. Apparently the new version ignores that, but doesn't REMOVE it, and it somehow fucks up the setting UI if it's kept on. If you set it back the true and reboot FF it works again. Just FYI to anyone else.

Welp, I was really hoping the delay on removing that config plus "we'll add it to the telemetry for a version cycle" was something other than a ninja smoke-bomb to escape the pitchfork mob.

I mean I should have known better by now, but hope springs eternal and all that. Not doing something to disable or remove the config option when it both doesn't work *and* breaks UI is an extra special gently caress you though.

Somehow I just can't believe that Mozilla, owners of a browser with continually declining userbase, is doing the equivalent of yelling "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" to their most dedicated users.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neophyte posted:

That was a fun thing to discover when I was checking my preferences during my migration to waterfox earlier today. I had to make some guesses because I didn't know what the gently caress was going on and I'm not about to start firefox again to check. I was a user of firefox since 2008 and was largely apathetic to every downgrade they've made but proton is too much, holy gently caress the ui is awful and for whatever reason it messes up the only theme I use by adding a visible bar that's above an annoying barely-translucent foreground that I can't remove

I saw a post on reddit a while ago saying that mozilla hasn't added any new browser customization features in years, they've only taken them away. I've been a huge firefox apologist for over a decade but gently caress this, waterfox or nothing

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 11, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It seems like everyone is doing this. "Streamlining" the user experience by taking away the ability to do anything with your software outside the increasingly narrow confines of what the companies want. Apple used to be infamous for this, but now it's just everywhere.

Or adding "helpful" features which do things for you under the assumption that you want them done in the first place and not just for your software to leave you the gently caress alone until you tell it to do something.

:corsair:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It seems like everyone is doing this. "Streamlining" the user experience by taking away the ability to do anything with your software outside the increasingly narrow confines of what the companies want. Apple used to be infamous for this, but now it's just everywhere.

Or adding "helpful" features which do things for you under the assumption that you want them done in the first place and not just for your software to leave you the gently caress alone until you tell it to do something.

:corsair:

Streamlining the developer experience by being able to focus on what the developer thinks looks good on the resumé.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I mean supposedly the reason is to reduce technical debt and make updates smoother for developers but that presupposes that the selling point of Firefox wasn't literally that it was significantly more customizable than other browsers and that having it copy Chrome is going to somehow peel users back off of other browsers.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
I'm now running the new Beta (92), and it really seems to load pages much faster. I know they were looking at building out the tab 'skeleton' earlier, to improve the perception of loading speed...

Is anyone else seeing this?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Neophyte posted:

Well, poo poo.
And 91 is the new ESR scheduled to come out in November.

Mozilla must really loving hate its users. :(

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

zachol posted:

I mean supposedly the reason is to reduce technical debt and make updates smoother for developers but that presupposes that the selling point of Firefox wasn't literally that it was significantly more customizable than other browsers and that having it copy Chrome is going to somehow peel users back off of other browsers.

It also presupposes that there's never any way to reduce technical debt without cutting features, and that you can't add powerful user-configurable features without putting all that debt back on.

Sometimes yeah, you have an old system that is terrible all the way through and you can't fix it in place, and re-implementing it the "right" way would be insane. XUL was that, fine, it's justified that they've been slowly removing everything that uses XUL so they can eventually take that whole pile of code behind the woodshed and bury it. (Their choices about how & when to do it have often been lovely, but it's a good goal with bad process.)

But the UI stuff isn't complicated unmaintainable code. It's CSS! Yet firefox themes are nothing but a top pic and some color choices. It would be totally possible to make a good theming system that replicated what people could do with old-school themes. I have classic square tabs on 91 right now! Build a system for packing up userstyle css & basic resources so that normal people can actually change the UI in ways that aren't moronic. And then the theme authors are the ones that have to keep stuff updated, not Mozilla devs.

This would take effort, but it wouldn't add vast technical debt. They use technical debt as an excuse for things that it doesn't excuse way too much.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

They also have no problem shutting down avenues of feedback if it's not glowing praise, basically censoring legitimate counterpoints to their ridiculous fantasies as "off topic". And if they get too much, they lock the issue.

And don't forget that they're extremely willing to straight-up lie to the userbase to get them to shut up.
See, for instance, the add-on page's ridiculous void of unused space compressing all the actual useful information into a thin sliver. When people complained, they promised to fix it.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 11, 2021

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Some videos, not so much Youtube or Twitch, but embedded videos (mp4s, Twitter videos, rather than webm) hitch for a second while audio continues before resuming. Fine in Chrome, and hardware acceleration remains off. I feel like this has happened before and it magically resolved itself eventually.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It's been happening to me as of the last update. I noticed that my CPU usage went up to almost 100% when it happened.

Try turning on task manager and take note of your stats the next time it happens.

Neophyte posted:

Speaking of poo poo that has also just started to happen to me.

I went to turn on hardware acceleration because that's what Mozilla is recommending to stop Firefox from maxing out CPU usage and, lo and behold, all my checkboxes were blank.

Thanks for figuring out the solution.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 12, 2021

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Klyith posted:

But the UI stuff isn't complicated unmaintainable code. It's CSS! Yet firefox themes are nothing but a top pic and some color choices. It would be totally possible to make a good theming system that replicated what people could do with old-school themes. I have classic square tabs on 91 right now! Build a system for packing up userstyle css & basic resources so that normal people can actually change the UI in ways that aren't moronic. And then the theme authors are the ones that have to keep stuff updated, not Mozilla devs.

This would take effort, but it wouldn't add vast technical debt. They use technical debt as an excuse for things that it doesn't excuse way too much.

I made this exact suggestion on the Ideas page. It's been in moderator review for 3 months now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Nalin posted:

I made this exact suggestion on the Ideas page. It's been in moderator review for 3 months now.

The Ideas page -- and pretty much every other "we care about user feedback" response from mozilla for the past 5 years -- is gaslighting.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's been happening to me as of the last update. I noticed that my CPU usage went up to almost 100% when it happened.

CPU usage has actually been very good. I tried a Twitter video just now and scanning through it would only make specific parts hitch, and some parts would just play unimpeded, so that's weird. I've noticed it less today though?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I forgotten all about proton for like 3 months thanks to the about:config method of disabling it, but the dreaded deadline finally occurred.

It really feels like someone at Mozilla is getting paid by Google to kill off the browser from within.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Moving from Firefox to Waterfox is one of the best computer decisions I've made in a while. It's a better-looking, more customizable Firefox that feels as fast as Chrome and hasn't died under a pile of bad decisions

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Forced Proton is pretty annoying but so far I've managed to fix it all with CSS (mostly googled) + about :config fixes.

Bookmarks ok, tabs look nice and increased min-width, tab mute/unmute button actually clickable and always visible if a tab is playing audio. Those were my three big issues with Proton. poo poo like the wonky zoom-box in the address field doesn't really matter for me. Haven't noticed performance issues yet but if I do that might prompt me to finally switch to Waterfox or something else.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Insurrectionist posted:

Forced Proton is pretty annoying but so far I've managed to fix it all with CSS (mostly googled) + about :config fixes.

Bookmarks ok, tabs look nice and increased min-width, tab mute/unmute button actually clickable and always visible if a tab is playing audio. Those were my three big issues with Proton. poo poo like the wonky zoom-box in the address field doesn't really matter for me. Haven't noticed performance issues yet but if I do that might prompt me to finally switch to Waterfox or something else.

If you could post or link the changes needed to get bookmarks and other menus that compact, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've mostly been able to wrangle the rest of the UI, but all the menus have way too much dead space between items. It makes my bookmarks especially nearly unnavigable.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

If you could post or link the changes needed to get bookmarks and other menus that compact, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I've mostly been able to wrangle the rest of the UI, but all the menus have way too much dead space between items. It makes my bookmarks especially nearly unnavigable.

I believe it was adding these lines to userChrome.css:

code:
/* inside root */
 --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 2px 8px !important;	/* padding fix for bookmarks */

/* outside root */
menupopup > menuitem, /* padding fix for bookmarks */
menupopup > menu {
  padding-block: 2px !important;
}
I added a bunch of CSS lines there though so if these don't work I'm not entirely sure what changes did.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Schwarzwald posted:

code:
/* Reduce padding of menus */
menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
    padding-block: 0.25em !important;
}
0.5 is the default value, you could go smaller. also em is relative to the menu font, you could change to #px to have more consistent sizes between different menus

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Customize Toolbar -> Density (down at bottom of window) > Compact

Saves some space as well. It says "Not supported" but it still seems to work.

I've reverted to v90 for now, but will probably go the route of CSS edits in the future. gently caress Proton.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
"Switch to Edge" was not in my 2021 bingo card lol

Maybe I'll check out the CSS edits at some point once I found out what dumb thing Edge manages to not do.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Thanks, Firefox, for making the "sound playing" icon almost invisible in the latest update. So now it's almost impossible for me to find which one of my 15+ tabs are playing a video or making noise.

Jesus loving christ what is wrong with Firefox's UI team. Did Mozilla poach the Elder Scrolls UI people or something?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Waterfox looks very interesting to me - but is there a way to make it not so accursedly rounded?

E: I imported my Firefox profile and it stopped being rounded. Not sure how that works but problem solved I guess

E again: ohhhh it's a theme option. waterfox seems p good tbh

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
For some reason I always get Waterfox and Pale Moon mixed up