Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Hey I thought of another tip about the house kit thing. Don't do it in the order they suggest. Make the basic frame first - usually near the back of the instructions - and then go back through and add items in the order that makes sense. I do everything that has lights in it first.

I'd already come to that conclusion just because I've nowhere to safely store all the little bits over the week or two (at a minimum) this is likely to take me - although the few little bits I've already done have already got me begging to go back to Duplo bricks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Right, I'm ready for the revolution.

I'm working on the Bristol East Junction Remodeling project. The gang I'm in, at the urging of the managers, managed to do 24 hours worth of work in six hours. My hands were bleeding and had skin peeling off it. What was our reward? Not even a thank you, instead they cancelled two shifts so we got less pay. I'm sure they got a slap on the back from the higher ups though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Give them one on the front to balance it out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Right, I'm ready for the revolution.

I'm working on the Bristol East Junction Remodeling project. The gang I'm in, at the urging of the managers, managed to do 24 hours worth of work in six hours. My hands were bleeding and had skin peeling off it. What was our reward? Not even a thank you, instead they cancelled two shifts so we got less pay. I'm sure they got a slap on the back from the higher ups though.

Lol what kind of Dickensian poo poo is this. I'm sure the situation had some nuance but kinda sounds like you boys were part of the problem here.

That being said, sounds like you're probably a crew of hard blokes that would beat me up, so good job ?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
It sure would be a shame if those managers lost the keys to their cars and had to pay the workers to find them

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

Lol what kind of Dickensian poo poo is this. I'm sure the situation had some nuance but kinda sounds like you boys were part of the problem here.

That being said, sounds like you're probably a crew of hard blokes that would beat me up, so good job ?

Yes, I suppose we were our own worst enemies, though the episode made sure that we wouldn't be working that hard for the rest of the project. Apparently this is the biggest project of its type ever undertaken in Europe so the people in Colas are desperate to impress Network Rail i.e. deliver the project before the due date and under budget. Their efforts to get everything done ASAP have caused problems with things like rail being cut incorrectly meaning they have to scrap pieces of rail and replace them which obviously costs time and money.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ah the old trade quote "measure once cut corners"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

That's good news.

Bum inspection chat:
In Wales, once you hit 60, they send you a package in the post with a tiny scoop - you have to scoop a bit of poop and post it off to see if you have bowel cancer. As far as I know, it's repeated every 3 years.

They're looking for blood. It's not the only (or even a particularly good way) of looking for bowel cancer but its more feasible than shoving a 5 foot tube up every bum in the nation.

Re:BarryCancerChat glad to hear your dad's clear.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Z the IVth posted:

shoving a 5 foot tube up every bum in the nation.

A policy we can all get (in our) behind.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Very weird twist in that missing hiker story with her boyfriend finding her body.

Not sure what to think about that one.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Pistol_Pete posted:

Very weird twist in that missing hiker story with her boyfriend finding her body.

he's apparently spent months walking every trail in the area she went missing, it's not really that unlikely that he'd be the one to find her

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pistol_Pete posted:

This one isn't what you think it is.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Julio Cruz posted:

he's apparently spent months walking every trail in the area she went missing, it's not really that unlikely that he'd be the one to find her

That would be...an experience. All that time with all those thoughts.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Z the IVth posted:

They're looking for blood. It's not the only (or even a particularly good way) of looking for bowel cancer but its more feasible than shoving a 5 foot tube up every bum in the nation.

Re:BarryCancerChat glad to hear your dad's clear.

That's exactly why the NHS needs more resources, so they can shove a 5 foot tube up every bum. I'm pretty sure Marx would agree with me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Probably involve linen shirts but yes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Back in the 70s the bum-men used to come right into your garden and bring the tube straight to you

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

When aa' wer a lad wi' made do wi' a bittev ol' drainpaaip wot we found down't tip.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Back in the 70s the bum-men used to come right into your garden
________\

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
\ ISN'T THAT RIGHT NORMAN?!??!!!!!!!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
In an *extremely* weird way, the day we found out my dad had cancer stands out as one of my fondest memories of him. I was already close to an all-time-low - my mum was 5 or so weeks into what turned into an 111-day hospital stay that featured at least 4 "Just make her as comfortable as possible" conversations and they'd found a shadow on my dad's chest x-ray, so I'd had to shuttle him up to the hospital and drop him off on the 3rd floor for a scan and a biopsy, then run upstairs to my mum because the medication and the NIV meant she wasn't really sleeping at all so was beginning to hallucinate and was terrified of the nurses, so she would only eat or drink if I was there, then back down to wheelchair my dad about the various departments that wanted to prod at him - all this while also having to field work calls because I had been stupid enough not to make proper provisions for cover.

Anyway the consultant pulled me to one side to basically say "We've taken some tissue but just by the look of it we can tell it's cancer, and it's spreading, the only real difference is going to be time". So, pretty poo poo day, all told.

However what made it, like I say, one of my fondest memories of my dad was through all this he was off his tits on valium (because they'd done the biopsy via an endoscope down the nose) and he was clearly having an absolutely *fantastic* time on it - you never really think of your parents as being, you know, people independent of being your parents, but I got to see him how I imagine he must have been before family and the general ossification of responsiblity had set in, laughing and joking (and outrageously flirting) with the nurses and staff, and generally being A Good Bloke, even raising a smile from the extremely stony-faced consultant.

Then when we got home and the drugs wore off we sat down with a couple of beers (he'd given up drinking not long after I was born[1] so we'd never really drunk together) that progressed to heavier spirits as we discussed what the diagnosis meant and where we'd go from there, and I remember how completely unflinchingly he was facing the situation. We weren't to tell mum (or the rest of the family because they'd not be able to stop themselves letting on to her) until we were both convinced she was strong enough to know, and he wouldn't be seeking treatment because he'd seen people go through chemo and radiotherapy (my mate's dad was going through this exact situation at the time) and couldn't think of a worse way of spending his last few years. I was terrified (and angry) at this at first but the more we spoke the more I could see he wasn't being selfish or afraid - he was just of an age where he'd long since made his peace with the idea of death and so was just going to get on with poo poo.

We also told each other "I love you", something neither of us had ever said to each other - thanks repressed working-class upbringing - then started planning how we were going to redecorate the downstairs bedroom for my mum when she got home (that day spent with him decorating and putting in the new furniture was also a good one). And that's why it's such a good memory of the old boy - I got to see really all of him, and felt like I learned more about the most important man in my life that day than I had in the 40 years we'd known each other to that point.

Sorry I know this is a bit rambling, I think the point I was trying to make at the start was that even the worst situation might have an incredible, if bittersweet, upside, and that day - especially the plans he and the lady-of-a-certain-age ward sister were making to elope to Kingstown - is always one of my go-to memories I use when exercising the trick that the vicar who did his funeral taught me - to always have a happy memory to swap in when I feel the pain of his loss.

[1] He was, charitably, a bit of a problem drinker at the time - not to the busting-up-the-family extent, but enough that he decided himself to give it up apart from the occasional chocolate liqueur and a tot of rum sprinkled on his tobacco.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Thanks for that, that's a lovely story.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In an *extremely* weird way, the day we found out my dad had cancer stands out as one of my fondest memories of him. I was already close to an all-time-low - my mum was 5 or so weeks into what turned into an 111-day hospital stay that featured at least 4 "Just make her as comfortable as possible" conversations and they'd found a shadow on my dad's chest x-ray, so I'd had to shuttle him up to the hospital and drop him off on the 3rd floor for a scan and a biopsy, then run upstairs to my mum because the medication and the NIV meant she wasn't really sleeping at all so was beginning to hallucinate and was terrified of the nurses, so she would only eat or drink if I was there, then back down to wheelchair my dad about the various departments that wanted to prod at him - all this while also having to field work calls because I had been stupid enough not to make proper provisions for cover.

Anyway the consultant pulled me to one side to basically say "We've taken some tissue but just by the look of it we can tell it's cancer, and it's spreading, the only real difference is going to be time". So, pretty poo poo day, all told.

However what made it, like I say, one of my fondest memories of my dad was through all this he was off his tits on valium (because they'd done the biopsy via an endoscope down the nose) and he was clearly having an absolutely *fantastic* time on it - you never really think of your parents as being, you know, people independent of being your parents, but I got to see him how I imagine he must have been before family and the general ossification of responsiblity had set in, laughing and joking (and outrageously flirting) with the nurses and staff, and generally being A Good Bloke, even raising a smile from the extremely stony-faced consultant.

Then when we got home and the drugs wore off we sat down with a couple of beers (he'd given up drinking not long after I was born[1] so we'd never really drunk together) that progressed to heavier spirits as we discussed what the diagnosis meant and where we'd go from there, and I remember how completely unflinchingly he was facing the situation. We weren't to tell mum (or the rest of the family because they'd not be able to stop themselves letting on to her) until we were both convinced she was strong enough to know, and he wouldn't be seeking treatment because he'd seen people go through chemo and radiotherapy (my mate's dad was going through this exact situation at the time) and couldn't think of a worse way of spending his last few years. I was terrified (and angry) at this at first but the more we spoke the more I could see he wasn't being selfish or afraid - he was just of an age where he'd long since made his peace with the idea of death and so was just going to get on with poo poo.

We also told each other "I love you", something neither of us had ever said to each other - thanks repressed working-class upbringing - then started planning how we were going to redecorate the downstairs bedroom for my mum when she got home (that day spent with him decorating and putting in the new furniture was also a good one). And that's why it's such a good memory of the old boy - I got to see really all of him, and felt like I learned more about the most important man in my life that day than I had in the 40 years we'd known each other to that point.

Sorry I know this is a bit rambling, I think the point I was trying to make at the start was that even the worst situation might have an incredible, if bittersweet, upside, and that day - especially the plans he and the lady-of-a-certain-age ward sister were making to elope to Kingstown - is always one of my go-to memories I use when exercising the trick that the vicar who did his funeral taught me - to always have a happy memory to swap in when I feel the pain of his loss.

[1] He was, charitably, a bit of a problem drinker at the time - not to the busting-up-the-family extent, but enough that he decided himself to give it up apart from the occasional chocolate liqueur and a tot of rum sprinkled on his tobacco.

It's weird the things that turn out to be good memories when a parent is dying. When my dad was dying of cancer, a few weeks before he died, I was asking him about his funeral wishes and writing them down so everyone knew on a large record card. And we actually had a really pleasant evening with myself, my sister and her (adult) kids with my dad playing the piano for some of his favourite hymns to decide if he wanted them at his funeral or not.

He was quite particular about wanting one song at his funeral (not a hymn) and we had the devil of a job getting my mum and the vicar to agree! Luckily, my sister who looks like a fairy angel is actually quite terrifying when she is determined and basically intimidated the vicar into complying.

Interestingly we also had a tussle with my mum over a song to play at my nan's (mum's mum) funeral. Despite being 89 when she died, she had always listened to 'the pops' so my sister and I absolutely insisted we had The Beatles 'she loves you' to play at the crematorium. My mum was wanting some classical music which nan NEVER listened to and which mum doesn't either (she rarely listens to music outside of church or if she's in a musical am dram).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I remember when my sister came down to our house to tell us that dad had died. While everyone was somber all I could think of was the time he crept up on our sleeping cat and scared him. Our cat jumped up and clawed at my dad's face cutting his chin. Both of them running out of the room for different reasons. So while everyone is somber I had to stifle a laugh.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

He was quite particular about wanting one song at his funeral (not a hymn) and we had the devil of a job getting my mum and the vicar to agree! Luckily, my sister who looks like a fairy angel is actually quite terrifying when she is determined and basically intimidated the vicar into complying.

My dad had the attitude "what do I care what they play at the funeral, I'll be dead." But he did want The Old Rugged Cross sung by David Alexander, which was fine but for the story the vicar told about meeting Alexander in Tenerife.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/seraph76/status/1424134788772990978

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

My next door neighbours brother moved to New York when he was quite young and eventually opened an American diner where he sells pretty much that exact type of dish.

I'm slightly suspicious that he might be responsible.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Similarly, I have a fond memory of my gran being in hospital after being diagnosed with bowel cancer (which probably wouldn't have been fatal if she'd gone to the doctor when she first started noticing she wasn't really able to keep food down but ah well, that was my gran, she could lose a foot and probably still insist she didn't need to go to the hospital). She couldn't eat, had lost a lot of control of her bowels, it was bad.

So my gran was a Tory. I never really understood why, she wasn't from wealth, her parents had a croft, she was a typist after leaving school and then a housewife. Definitely had arguments with her about politics where I'd hear stuff about "do you think it's fair for miners to earn the same as doctors?" to which I stared blankly, not wanting to write myself out of the will by implying she clearly didn't know the first thing about socialism. I loved her like you do with family members but definitely didn't see the point in engaging on politics. When she was in hospital they gave her morphine, in fact after it was clear surgery hadn't worked she might have been on heroin. As a Tory she was very anti-drugs but seeing her high as a kite talking about how she finally got the appeal of then was very funny and quite a sweet memory, as well as being the last memory of her I have of her alive. Was meant to visit her in the hospice and about 30 minutes before I got the bus I got a call that she'd died.

So yeah, it's strange the memories we enjoy of our loved ones as they reach the end

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Looking after my mum in the year before she died is probably my best memory of her. It’s really amazing how much a diagnosis of terminal cancer benefits a relationship. Suddenly most of the various resentments and recriminations are just irrelevant and fade away.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 11, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Thanks for the lovely stories, everyone.

I had something like a glimpse of what you're all talking about when he came back from the appointment and announced he was going to have to have the surgery. My dad is bolshy and domineering and tries to dominate other people when he has conversations with them. I honestly don't think he knows he's doing it most of the time, and it's not in a threatening or malicious way (again, most of the time) but he likes to show off how clever and knowledgeable he is and is loud and brash and acts super confident (he is actually brittle as gently caress and explodes at the tiniest things). I honestly think it's down to him being the seventh of ten children in a family that often had few resources, and having had a similarly domineering father (worse in fact, he was a scary man). It's like he responded to having that kind of father by pushing outwards, with a kind of manic narcissistic grandeur. I reacted by turning inwards, gradually dissociating from myself, and becoming a pathological people-pleaser. For the first couple of decades of my life I reacted by taking on all his beliefs and mannerisms, in an effort - I now recognise - to feel safe, and be inside the tent pissing out. I was a little tory poo poo and a brexiteer and a royalist and deeply suspicious of gay people and muslims and absolutely contemptuous of leftists. It was only after his affair came out (and all the others he had that he only confessed to me and told me not to reveal to my mum, so that's great) and I moved away to Exeter and out from under his influence that I started questioning everything and came to the beliefs I have today. He's pretty obviously resented me since - his firstborn son betraying everything he holds dear - and after some pretty nasty conversations we settled into a sort of MAD situation, where it wouldn't be brought up (this actually meant he could say whatever he wanted but I wasn't allowed to reply if I wanted to keep the peace). Just the other day my aunt told me that he told her he wasn't proud of my accomplishments (English degrees? Worthless. Not a real subject). I think, to be honest, he's pretty disappointed with the way his life turned out.

I digress. A lot. Anyway, just for that moment, when it all became real to him, and a few days after, as his sense of invincibility was shattered, he was like a scared little boy. He stopped ranting and raving about covid conspiracies or whatever. He became quiet and humble and pliant. And for a few days my hatred turned to pity, and I could be a bit more myself too, no longer locked into a struggle for dominance I never started but seemed destined to remain in forever.

There's a nice guy deep inside him. He's absurdly generous, and sentimental and kind to children and animals. It was a glimpse of what lies beneath (what I now recognise as) a traumatic upbringing, and decades upon decades of poison being dripped into his ear by the right wing. He quickly reverted to type, but I'm curious how he's going to be now that he knows it wasn't just some dodgy cells (bad enough, of course) but actual capital C cancer. He's either going to feel humbled and maybe cut the bullshit, or he's going to feel even more grandiose for having cheated death or whatever. I can't stress enough how much I hope it's the former.

God, that's massive, but I think I needed to get it out. I've been awake since four after a restless night. Maybe now I can go back to sleep for a bit.

Thanks for letting me splurge.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 11, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I also just found out my nan was severely agoraphobic and was on valium for twenty years, which is more information that would have been really loving helpful in terms of info on family history of mental illness. My family doesn't talk about anything real. Nothing is revealed until it has to be. Secrets upon secrets to preserve the image of perfect middle class normality, and all this dark poo poo under the surface.

It fucks you up. Sometimes I feel like I'm the outsourced receptacle for all the craziness and pain that goes unexpressed

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm glad your dad's okay Barry, hopefully it has a salutary effect on both him and others in the family, but even if not, I hope you're able to spend some good times together regardless.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks Mrs A. Hope you're keeping well

Just nearly had a panic attack but managed to head it off. Been quite a few years since that's happened

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Looking after my mum in the year before I died

I hope I can continue to post when I am dead as well.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

This is the spirit of a True Poster.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It's easy.

Funnily enough I nearly did die recently. Thank you NHS for the emergency bowel surgery and my new stoma!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds like one of the Classical Hells. Not the Medieval types where they're all like "and then the people who I don't like will all be on fire and their balls will be on special double fire" but some kind of plutonic abyss where shades mill about in the darkness not fully aware that they're dead and refreshing threads.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Guavanaut posted:

That sounds like one of the Classical Hells. Not the Medieval types where they're all like "and then the people who I don't like will all be on fire and their balls will be on special double fire" but some kind of plutonic abyss where shades mill about in the darkness not fully aware that they're dead and refreshing threads.

Oh no one of them's starting to realise

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just ordered some more Royal Canin cat food on Amazon. Last October, it was £29.25. Last night, it was £40.59. The only other seller has the same listed for £60+£12 p&p.... I guess the price gouging has begun.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

I just ordered some more Royal Canin cat food on Amazon. Last October, it was £29.25. Last night, it was £40.59. The only other seller has the same listed for £60+£12 p&p.... I guess the price gouging has begun.

Pet food prices on Amazon have been insane for a while now - I get my cat's stuff from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/, and the price has stayed constant (and almost 20% cheaper than Amazon) for two years now.

(There's another site that's cheaper and while I get what they're going for, there's no way at all that I'm having https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/ turning up on my credit card bill)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pet food prices on Amazon have been insane for a while now - I get my cat's stuff from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/, and the price has stayed constant (and almost 20% cheaper than Amazon) for two years now.

(There's another site that's cheaper and while I get what they're going for, there's no way at all that I'm having https://www.animeddirect.co.uk/ turning up on my credit card bill)

If you can think of a better way to get that sweet Anime D I'd like to hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
https://twitter.com/misterbrilliant/status/1369337542609416192?s=20

It's taken Glinzy 5 months to publish an unnecessary comeback

https://twitter.com/sineadactually/status/1425376126977945601

So now we have his weird remaining fans popping up under an old tweet saying Steve is doxxing a child by posting a picture of a steam account with an adult's name and picture.