Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Imagine being that stupid as an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/MichaelSocolow/status/1424782043175608322

lmaoooo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
a disciplined guerilla force manages to enact more effective public policies than the thoroughly corrupt central government propped up by massive foreign aid you say?

now where have i heard that one before

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Honestly seeing this makes my gen-z rear end understand why so many older leftists are pretty optimistic after Sanders. If this was the state of the Left 20 years ago then today must seem like a miracle.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ToxicAcne posted:

Honestly seeing this makes my gen-z rear end understand why so many older leftists are pretty optimistic after Sanders. If this was the state of the Left 20 years ago then today must seem like a miracle.

the 90s were dire for the left. we had trot pamphlets and dennis kucinich. the discourse today is pretty radically different

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Well yeah, that was the era when the End of History didn't look like a pipe dream.

ToxicAcne posted:

Just follow this account

https://twitter.com/DubyaEraLeft/status/1376308119618248704
https://twitter.com/DubyaEraLeft/status/1400225721277030400
https://twitter.com/DubyaEraLeft/status/1421244214818476036

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that's a great twitter account but pale compared to the testament of 2003 leftism and web design that was http://www.111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111.com/

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

the 90s were the absolute nadir of the Western left (no wonder given what happened in the ussr). Only now that we are discussing about and organizing very primary poo poo that were absolute guarantees in the 50s and 60s. Only now we see a lot of younger people going "you know what, this union thing sounds like a very good idea", and we still need many more for the basics

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

holy poo poo

:five:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ugh the your base memes are all turning 21 around this time, i remember the song stitching them together was like fall 2000

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It just struck me that a lot of these Taliban guys in the photos where they've taken American vehicles and equipment are younger than the war. Their entire memory, they've never known a time when America wasn't trying to kill them. Until now.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

It just struck me that a lot of these Taliban guys in the photos where they've taken American vehicles and equipment are younger than the war. Their entire memory, they've never known a time when America wasn't trying to kill them. Until now.

it must be a very "liberating" feeling!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Biden just said the US still supports the Afghan government army with air strikes and poo poo so technically the US is still trying to kill them.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
It’s supremely funny that the taliban of all people owned America super hard.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

Biden just said the US still supports the Afghan government army with air strikes and poo poo so technically the US is still trying to kill them.

Wonder where they plan to fly from?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/joshua_landis/status/1425207683267846156?s=19

one of the biggest Tajik warlords just defected

"The Taliban are exhausted, they'll take a peace deal."

The Taliban gave up nothing in the eventual deal signed with the US, and cleared the way for their final victory. .

"They'll be limited to the Pashtun south, it'll be a long ethnic civil war."

Pre-emptive strike on the north with the subversion of Tajik and Uzbek groups and relatively little fighting. .

"They can take remote rural areas, but cities are another matter."

Repeated practice over the years in taking cities and absorbing the lessons learned, coupled with a preparatory sieges to exhaust the defenders and then sharp, decisive assaults on multiple cities at once. .

"The commandos plus airpower are a combination the Taliban have no answer for."

Extremely high operations tempo with attacks against more locations than the commandos can respond to, and the dissolution of the supporting ANA and ANP the commandos need to give their operations any lasting effect. Plus targeted assassination campaign on the tiny pool of pilots.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

it's also incredibly funny/sad that the Taliban surrendered in the beginning of the war and laid their arms down, but they got arrested and shipped to Gitmo anyway because Rumsfield didn't want a war that was too "easy"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

genericnick posted:

Wonder where they plan to fly from?

afaik they're flying from Bahrain, which is a several hour flight each way and there's only a handful of strikes each day now.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

That's a lot of words to spell "rout"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PawParole posted:

it's also incredibly funny/sad that the Taliban surrendered in the beginning of the war and laid their arms down, but they got arrested and shipped to Gitmo anyway because Rumsfield didn't want a war that was too "easy"

It cannot be expressed in words how vile and stupid that entire administration was

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
lol massoud

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Animal-Mother posted:

I remember reading a surreal story of a US soldier getting killed in 2020 in Afghanistan.

He was born in 2002 lol!

Milo and POTUS posted:

It cannot be expressed in words how vile and stupid that entire administration was

Not to mention the whole history how getting a reputation for mistreating captured prisoners just gives the other site a incentive to fight even harder and never surrender.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

the liberal media adored donald Rumsfield

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It would be super loving funny if someone could dig up the forums ‘Afghanistan Invasion’ thread from 2002 so we can get a good giant sniff of what people thought this whole thing would turn out.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

afaik they're flying from Bahrain, which is a several hour flight each way and there's only a handful of strikes each day now.

from the persian gulf to central asia?

hahahahhahahahahhhahahahahahahahahhhhah

ahahahahahhahahhahhahahhahahahahahahahah

AHAHAHAHAHAHHHA

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the commitment and support to win any war and aid any ally!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bedpan posted:

the liberal media adored donald Rumsfield

The whole administration was the untouchables and they knew it.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Al-Saqr posted:

It would be super loving funny if someone could dig up the forums ‘Afghanistan Invasion’ thread from 2002 so we can get a good giant sniff of what people thought this whole thing would turn out.

Here you go https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=86316.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

oh my loving god this is a post of posts

quote:

From what is happening, the Taliban might last less than one week. The Taliban has decided that burning dogs and destroying villiages will make their people much more willing to join the Taliban army. Of course they have not, large numbers of people in Afganistan have already left, or if they have not, are going to the Northern Alliance. I heard on MSNBC that the NA will be moving out in the morning, when the US and Britian will not be attacking, and are supposed to be heading to Kabul. The US and Britian do not want the NA to help though, their weapons are old, and will most likely get in the way. Although right now the NA is being pretty good about it, and are not moving from their positions, they are just listing to the radio about what is happening.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

cross posting this collection of golden posts from the other thread on the fine fellows of 2002:-

OhFunny posted:

This appears to be the main DnD thread: Its On, US Attacks Kabul....

"Taliban won't last a week."

"US military neglects necessary military objectives to limit civilian casualties. "

"Tony Blair is Churchill reborn" :britain:

"People need to stop saying war is bad until they see what outcome it has."

It has been a long twenty years of war, but I think we're seeing the outcome play out now.

hosed up the Bush Cabinet planned the Iraq War in a thread in DnD:

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

cross posting this collection of golden posts from the other thread on the fine fellows of 2002:-

lmao god bless these forums

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

yellowcar posted:

lmao god bless these forums

lol it's like those image memes "How it started, how intended"

How it started:
The US military is invincible, has technology beyond any nation in the world.
It will be nation building success story and monument to the determination of the American people

How it ended :
Taliban could you please agree to cease fire so we can save face?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I also loved how alt right prick historians like Victor Davis Hanson bragged how the US would have easy victories in Iraq and Afghanistan due to things like "superior" heavy infantry / western shock combat tactics.

In the end it's pretty obvious who had the superior infantry, tactics and strategy to overturn regimes being back backed by billions of dollars in US military aid.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
prior to maybe 3 years ago these forums were a very dark place, where it was treated as accepted wisdom that for example if someone harms your property, you are justified in killing them. many good people were banned for going against this consensus

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
i mean they still are, but they were then too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the superior western infantry spent almost the occupation hiding out in their heavily fortified bases.

It's not a suprise what this attitude led to similar to how in Vietnam around 85% of the infantry firefights were initiated by Vietcong / NVA.

aka the Vietnamese had the initiative / advantage for controlling where, when and why to fight.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

"Get a loving clue. They sell them at the real world store."

lmao

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

etalian posted:

I also loved how alt right prick historians like Victor Davis Hanson bragged how the US would have easy victories in Iraq and Afghanistan due to things like "superior" heavy infantry / western shock combat tactics.

In the end it's pretty obvious who had the superior infantry, tactics and strategy to overturn regimes being back backed by billions of dollars in US military aid.

Neocon, and he’s a lovely “historian”. He’s been coasting on his only achievement ( battle of leuctra), that he thinks he’s an expert on everything else.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The virgin US soldier hiding in a colonial fire base vs the Chad Taliban mortar team

Also lol at the blurb in this story

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/11/middleeast/afghanistan-taliban-analysis-intl/index.html

quote:

CNN saw a graphic example of how low morale is among some army units on a visit to the city of Ghazni, three hours from Kabul. A group of soldiers who had been under fire from Taliban snipers simply ran from their base, flagged down a passing car and left.

etalian has issued a correction as of 22:31 on Aug 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Ironic that Iraq, long seen as the quagmire, is marginally more of a success now for U.S. foreign policy compared to the utter failure in Afghanistan

https://twitter.com/stevenacook/status/1425571587370229770

wait what