Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

well, i figured out what was causing the Modern Magicka server to crash. the ban list and op list JSONs were all corrupted.

now when i press start on the server, it reaches a point where the copypaste mod validates and updates files in the world.............for a long time.

new and fun problems, whee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is there even a point to the windmill in GT:NH?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Nothing besides being aesthetically pleasing if you're into that.

IIRC the quest even says it's useless except for being able to grind a few things you will probably never use it for.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is there even a point to the windmill in GT:NH?

It's a waste of time.

The multiblock steam macerator, though, is really good, until it gets obsoleted by the HV macerator's byproducts. The railcraft steam oven is good too.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
So mass producing some stuff, still early MV. Just getting things in order to start building all the machines and figuring out resources. New to any GT and geez even lower level stuff looks nuts. I looked into benzene like suggested and my brain melted a bit. So steam dynamo + wood in the pyrolyse oven for Wood tar then distill that into Benzene into a diesel generator. At this point is it energy efficient? Especially cause I'd have to figure out making the EnderIO farm station to farm the wood.

Thinking on all that I spent today making 3 of the currency dynamos with the diamond burning specialization and laying out the system to auto run the DMLs so that I can get all the base ingots without mining.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Hey, maybe some folks here can give me some advice.

I've been thinking of starting a "social" server that's more of an excuse for friends to chat while doing minecrafty things. Since I want to include some of my mod-only friends, I've been getting lists of mods that would be necessary or at least ideal for them, and I'm wondering if anybody has anything else that might appeal. The range of interests is pretty broad; some friends want to just build complex, functional devices, some friends just want to mine and find stuff for the folks that want to build, and at least one friend just wants to say "gently caress your fancy mechanics, I just want to level a huge mountain to the ground. With a pickaxe." Which I guess begs the question of "which mods can satisfy the buildy types while leaving the vanilla types to do their thing in peace?"

Note that skyblock mods are right out because of aforementioned mountain project.

The list I've gotten so far is:

- Just Enough Items
- Gravestones
- Waypoints
- Some sort of storage mod (suggestions welcome)
- Some sort of mapping mod (Ditto)
- Tinker's Construct
- Create
- Mekanism
- Immersive Engineering
- Iron Jetpacks
- Environmental Tech
- Refined Storage
- Mystical Agriculture
- Botania
- Astral Sorcery
- Biomes O' Plenty
- Oh The Biomes You'll Go
- The Thermal Set
- Pam's Harvestcraft 2 (that one's for me lol)

Is there anything else that might work, or will anything on this list interfere with the "vanilla" folk? Thanks in advance. god i hope i have the memory for this

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
depending how fancy or simple you want to go for storage you could do AE2 which would be storage+ability to autocraft. You could do something simpler with storage drawers.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does that chisel mod still exist?

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

Does that chisel mod still exist?

Which chisel mod? Though the answer is probably yes. Chisels & Bits and the Chisel mod with all the various blocks are both on 1.16.

Dragomorph you might want to also look at mods that add basic QoL features like mouse tweaks.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Iron Chests are great for basic storage upgrades. I've always liked them, and I think the mod is a bit more expansive with options these days.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I meant chisel and bits but yeah regular chisel is a great source of cosmetic blocks. To me if you want to distract a more casual non-mod player showing them they can make insanely detailed sculptures in c&b is easy mode

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
If you're using Pam's, it's nice to pair that up with one or both Spice of Life mods to track the different foods you've made/eaten.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

30.5 Days posted:

I meant chisel and bits but yeah regular chisel is a great source of cosmetic blocks. To me if you want to distract a more casual non-mod player showing them they can make insanely detailed sculptures in c&b is easy mode

That might work for one (and certainly would be fun for me). The other would probably be happier just doing their "dismantle a mountain" plan. They'd be joining DESPITE the extra mods and, like... everything that's been added since the game came out of beta. Yep.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
with GT machines, is there a reason to use conveyors or robot arm sides instead of just say enderio item conduits?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

TheJadedOne posted:

with GT machines, is there a reason to use conveyors or robot arm sides instead of just say enderio item conduits?

Space concerns. Since covers like conveyors sit flat on a block face, they can allow you to pass items between adjacent machines easily. The higher tier ones are also much, much faster than conduits can ever be.

I've not really found a practical use for robot arms as a cover, since all GT machines will generally prevent you from putting more than one stack of an item into a machine with multiple item input slots.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Conduits can be considered more expensive as well, if you don't have access to infinite ender pearls yet.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Not sure about GTNH, but I think it's the same as omnifactory, with conveyors/robot arms, you can use the oredict filter, which is important for automating the full ore -> ingot chain

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

OniPanda posted:

Not sure about GTNH, but I think it's the same as omnifactory, with conveyors/robot arms, you can use the oredict filter, which is important for automating the full ore -> ingot chain

Nah, that's not a thing for GTNH. You're instead encouraged to use AE2 oredict cards. Basically, it wants you to use AE2 for everything once you can make it, because it's so much more performant than other options.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Am i the only one who hates magic mods?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It depends. I don't like magic mods that boil down to 'it's like Tech mods, but without any UI so it's 10x harder to use', but I liked Thaumcraft just fine.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I've never really got into them. They feel almost parasitic a lot of the time. Like, hey do this random minigame/whatever and throw your resources into this mod but don't get all that much out of it except in the context of the mod. I mean every magic mod has the one thing that's mildly useful in normal gameplay, but why would I want to invest a ton of resources -- including my limited playtime -- into that one thing when I could use my resources for literally anything else that's better integrated with the rest of the game. It doesn't help that combat in minecraft doesn't loan itself to magic.

If you offer me a non-magic way to do things it's almost always more organic to reach and use in the context of the game & other mods. If you want to get started in a magic mod you are starting from a weaker place than where you're at progression wise, and if you start with magic you aren't progressing in the other aspects of the game. That's why I described most of them as having parasitic design. They only really try to bait you in with the one killer feature other mods don't offer that lets you do some other thing easier (blood magic, astral sorcery in particular do this. some other magic mods did this with move speed boosts early game.)

I'm also making this post largely hoping someone tells me why I am wrong about magic mods. I mean I get why the people who like them like them. Some of them have reasonably fun gameplay loops and are self contained games with cool boss battles, aesthetics, etc. The self contained part is why I tend to avoid them. Although I have done each major magic mod once except astral sorcery which I keep meaning to do but always end up doing other stuff instead. It doesn't help that rf tools covers most of the astral sorcery features that are really useful outside of astral sorcery.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 13, 2021

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I think a big complaint for me is that they feel so isolated from everything compared to tech mods, like making a lot of progress in one tech mod often translates to making other ones easier or being able to skip steps. But magic mods are so focused on their own systems and items that you often feel like you are starting from scratch whenever you start them.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ash Rose posted:

I think a big complaint for me is that they feel so isolated from everything compared to tech mods, like making a lot of progress in one tech mod often translates to making other ones easier or being able to skip steps. But magic mods are so focused on their own systems and items that you often feel like you are starting from scratch whenever you start them.
This, but in relation to the entire game rather than just other mods. My #1 complaint is that so many magic mods have really piddling payouts. Even Thaumcraft doesn't give you great returns for all you put into it -- Golem automation is worse than the first tier of almost any tech mod's pipes/automators, most spells aren't better than a good bow, the utility's low, etc. But some magic mods really feel pointless. Wizardry, for example, doesn't have a huge time investment, but none of the dozens of spells it gives you even feel worth having. Roots felt similar to me, with no decent payoffs. Botania has a few decent payoffs but mostly it's just better armor and tools.
I guess a lot of it comes back to Minecraft ultimately having such basic interactions that weapons, tools, and armor are about all that's worth having, but I hate climbing a magical tech tree and getting a bunch of spells that are severely limited because they decided decent direct damage or actually useful utility would be too OP for the hours of time and chests full of materials you've sunk into it.

Astral sorcery feels like it's got pretty decent payoffs in both tools and utility.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i feel like parasitic really is a great way to describe how most magic mods feel. if you're playing a quest/objective-based modpack, the tech mods tend to all be modified to feed into one another, but it's like as soon as you jump into the magic mods, everything's its own separate system and each mod has you starting from scratch. i think it's mostly on modpack authors to better integrate magic mods into the core progression, but i get why it usually doesn't happen. because those mods usually have their own internal systems of progress, they don't interlock with your average tech mod very well. it's a lot more work than combining, say, immersive engineering and ic2.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I love the flavor of magic mods but unless they've been customly integrated between each other like in Heavens of Sorcery, I'll fully agree that they all pretty much sit as standalone products. Some try to replicate tech mod things like how Botania flowers fill a variety of niches that tech mods often do, but most of the time a magic mod does its own thing. And then on the opposite end you have Thaumcraft, which is super cool as a mod but I can never bring myself to fully appreciate it because in every form since like TC2 it has been progressively more and more time-wasty and dangerous to actually play with. I remember one version had the research table straight up give you random research every time you tried using it, even stuff you'd already fully researched, and there was basically nothing you could do about it, at least in the early game when you're actually trying desperately to get the one research you need for progression.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Oh yeah, where the best mode of progression was to just fill the table with sticks.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

just updated my boiler multiblock+large turbine setup post moon and realized this setup flows PERFECTLY. triple compressed charcoal takes 10930 seconds to compress, which is the exact default burn time of triple compressed charcoal in that multiblock. it produces 24kL steam/sec, which is the exact intake my brand new normal sized energetic alloy turbine takes. don't need a regulator and can use oversized pipes with no explosion risk

strangely, my turbine's power output seems to alternating between 580 and 590eu/t when i thought it should be 630. halp

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

just updated my boiler multiblock+large turbine setup post moon and realized this setup flows PERFECTLY. triple compressed charcoal takes 10930 seconds to compress, which is the exact default burn time of triple compressed charcoal in that multiblock. it produces 24kL steam/sec, which is the exact intake my brand new normal sized energetic alloy turbine takes. don't need a regulator and can use oversized pipes with no explosion risk

strangely, my turbine's power output seems to alternating between 580 and 590eu/t when i thought it should be 630. halp

The steam is probably moving sluggishly through that pipe. Try building the turbine such that its steam input hatch directly touches the boiler's output hatch, and the business ends of said hatches are facing each other.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Oh yeah, where the best mode of progression was to just fill the table with sticks.

Ah, the Quaetorium.

Still miss the old days of having fluxstacks pumping magismog though.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Playing Stacia Expert and just accidentally shift clicked all of my steel into Universal Cable. I'd be sad but it's too funny.

I really like Astral as magic goes, but yeah minigames and impenetrable mechanics and book reading and ugh.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The steam is probably moving sluggishly through that pipe. Try building the turbine such that its steam input hatch directly touches the boiler's output hatch, and the business ends of said hatches are facing each other.

makes sense. we'll see if the missing amp of LV power makes enough difference to go through the hassle

base tour time! realized how easy multimc made uploading screenshots so here you go

my original lv line and handcrafting area. i just plopped my AE panels down right in the middle

oil processing. left is diesel and right is cracking naphtha for ethylene. my solar powered spruce farm in the back

the back of my lv line with automated rubber+cable, and a small ore processing line with my second ebf. the yellow cable coming down from above is my passive power gen. there's also an extractor stuck in there for glowflowers.

my main ebf, mv line, and hv line. can also see my vacuum freezer peeking from behind the ebf

my very neglected thaumcraft corner

where i first put my bed and built a dirt hut. used to have a stack of coke ovens here. now it's just glowflower passive production and my food fields

view from above

spaghetti underground. left to right, this is automated cetane boosting, implosion compressor, cleanroom, auto sulfuric acid, and a combo line that does a few things. originally for persulfate, now the electrolyzer also helps with chlorine from all the excess hcl. handling all the hydrogen sulfide and diluted sulfuric acid is becoming an issue, so some of this may be split off to its own area where i can plan better for my future sulfuric needs

pyrolyse oven with tar being turned into benzene and toluene. this area will be expanded greatly when i get around to building two more distillation towers

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Just wanted to say, as someone who's so obsessed with climbing the tech ladder efficiently in most modpacks that I never build a real base and just plop all my magic hypertech machines on the loving grass, it's really cool seeing an actual walkable base with decorations and tiled floors and stuff. A very good industrial feel there.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Hey folks. Thanks for the help so far. I've managed to get a set of mods together that seem like they'll work well. I'm trying to find a decent hosting service however. I'm not a rich person, and I don't know if this server will last longer than a month or two though, so I need to find a service that isn't going to lock me into a year or longer service. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dragomorph posted:

Hey folks. Thanks for the help so far. I've managed to get a set of mods together that seem like they'll work well. I'm trying to find a decent hosting service however. I'm not a rich person, and I don't know if this server will last longer than a month or two though, so I need to find a service that isn't going to lock me into a year or longer service. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

How many players do you anticipate? If it's 5 or less, just set up a Hamachi VLAN and play over "LAN," hosting the game on your own computer. It won't be up when your game is off, though.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Maybe about ten or so max. Would that require port forwarding or something? I'm not a very technical person. (The mods are definitely for OTHER people more than me here.)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Dragomorph posted:

Maybe about ten or so max. Would that require port forwarding or something? I'm not a very technical person. (The mods are definitely for OTHER people more than me here.)

Hamachi's free tier has a maximum 5 user limit, so it's a no-go for 10 people at once. You could use their $50/year paid plan, but I can't think of too many pickup minecraft servers that stay up that long.

What Hamachi does is create a private Local Area Network, which, essentially, makes it so you and whoever else has your credentials can connect to each other's computers without port forwarding. It's my go-to choice for people with zero technical knowledge, but its 5 person free tier cap makes it nonviable for you.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hamachi's free tier has a maximum 5 user limit, so it's a no-go for 10 people at once. You could use their $50/year paid plan, but I can't think of too many pickup minecraft servers that stay up that long.

What Hamachi does is create a private Local Area Network, which, essentially, makes it so you and whoever else has your credentials can connect to each other's computers without port forwarding. It's my go-to choice for people with zero technical knowledge, but its 5 person free tier cap makes it nonviable for you.

Yeah, I figured hosting from home was a bit of a no-go. Which leaves finding a hosting service. Is there any good one that would at least only force me to bind for three months rather than a year or four?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i don't think Akliz locks you in for any length of time?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Dragomorph posted:

Yeah, I figured hosting from home was a bit of a no-go. Which leaves finding a hosting service. Is there any good one that would at least only force me to bind for three months rather than a year or four?

Most hosting services will bill you per month. I generally recommend mcprohosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
AE2 is going up. Just need to get Chlorine to plastic so I can make craft patterns and I can start the autocrafting mess!