Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
3 roles of the management: leadership, resource allocation, and bein the work cop. you can figure out for yourself which one they imagine themselves doin and which one they actually end up doin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Crazycryodude posted:

"lol everything's going extinct who cares" is just an excuse to blackpill yourself and feel ok about participating in the rape of mother nature, not anything scientifically sound. Killing 7.8 billion people and making sure we never get an industrial civilization running on anything more energy-dense than charcoal ever again is easy. Killing the last 100,000 monkeys hunter-gathering in the tropical swamps of Siberia and Greenland is extremely hard, and killing off complex life in general is even harder. Worrying about the calthrate gun turning us into Venus is just the new convincing yourself it's the apocalypse because a dragon is eating the Sun.

Lmao. Climate is collapsing, and old insane fascists rule most of the world. We are absolutely doomed.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
if anyone else doesn’t like the climate doomer people, keep in mind they’ve never been right about anything

yet

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

please knock Mom! posted:

if anyone else doesn’t like the climate doomer people, keep in mind they’ve never been right about anything

yet

Every single ICC paper gets the "they're underselling" response from us Chad climate catastrophists and every time the next one is a little less optimistic and it happens again

We've been right for decades most people are still in the denial stage and refuse the data

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

tokin opposition posted:

Every single ICC paper gets the "they're underselling" response from us Chad climate catastrophists and every time the next one is a little less optimistic and it happens again

We've been right for decades most people are still in the denial stage and refuse the data

oh yeah why is it getting colder outside then??

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

please knock Mom! posted:

oh yeah why is it getting colder outside then??
because the sun's not up yet

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

PokeJoe posted:

it will be grown inside air conditioned greenhouses and be extremely expensive

We already have the resources to grow food indoors in vertical stacks using a fraction of water and land that we currently do.

But yes we’d have to build a lot of buildings that’s really loving expensive.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The Nastier Nate posted:

We already have the resources to grow food indoors in vertical stacks using a fraction of water and land that we currently do.

By the time we have the political power to do that our infrastructure is going to be too poo poo to actually do it at the scale required

Everyone is doomed, smoke weed everyday.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Nastier Nate posted:

And also expensive in terms of carbon output

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

where we’re going there won’t even be rain clouds anymore

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Biplane posted:

old insane fascists rule most of the world. We are absolutely doomed.

This has always been the case

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oh, I'm aware. I worked in a few at a weed grow at the height of summer.

It's not a solution to the problem as a whole, but a small piece of the puzzle. It's also probably a good idea to start playing nice with neighbors with at latitudes that will open to farming operations, while ours turn into deserts, but that also will fall short at some point because lol why not.

where is land gonna be farmable in 50 years? lol

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Moon crops

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah that "new arable land" which is gonna emerge in the higher latitudes (and keeps Putin being a smug prick about global warming), is probably dosgshit nutrient-poor soil that will be exhausted after a few seasons if it ever gets going at all. Obviously there are smart farming practices which can enrich those kind of soils, but lol if anyone's gonna do that rather than just going HAM on cereal and soy monocultures that immediately fail. The ag futures market probably wouldn't permit anything else

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

there is probably no other time in the history of the human species where we would be less able to address and survive a climate catastrophe than now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i remember something about the nazis just digging up tons of fertile ukrainian soil to ship back to the fatherland at one point, so maybe we could do that with the bits of arable land not sterilized by wildfires

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i’ll start the wiki

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Actually humanity is going to irradiate itself to death in the wars over the dwindling resources. What do you think happens to a nuclear nation when they have no more potable water?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Jel Shaker posted:

i remember something about the nazis just digging up tons of fertile ukrainian soil to ship back to the fatherland at one point, so maybe we could do that with the bits of arable land not sterilized by wildfires

You ever buy a bag of dirt at the garden store? That poo poo is heavy to transport.

Now imagine the cost of sending trucks and workers into the woods to get enough dirt to feed a country

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

enough dirt to feed a country

Plus it tastes like poo poo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
please keep the circlejerk about humanity's imminent extinction to the climate thread, tia

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I just got done replacing a battery on a galaxy s7 edge and it was was intentially difficult and overused adhesive everywhere.

Right to repair isn't a thing anymore, the new iPhone has serialised parts so you are unable to swap out the display or camera without causing the phone to become unstable and lose features.

There's so much poo poo lying in junkyards that needs the smallest amount of work to get back to a functional state and instead it'll rot and become further damaged by the elements.

Cant wait to have to jailbreak my car in order to do minor repairs.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Peanut President posted:

please keep the circlejerk about humanity's imminent extinction to the climate thread, tia

no way everything's a venn diagram now.

Crazycryodude posted:

"lol everything's going extinct who cares" is just an excuse to blackpill yourself and feel ok about participating in the rape of mother nature, not anything scientifically sound. Killing 7.8 billion people and making sure we never get an industrial civilization running on anything more energy-dense than charcoal ever again is easy. Killing the last 100,000 monkeys hunter-gathering in the tropical swamps of Siberia and Greenland is extremely hard, and killing off complex life in general is even harder. Worrying about the calthrate gun turning us into Venus is just the new convincing yourself it's the apocalypse because a dragon is eating the Sun.

No mate, these aren't excuses, they're legitimate concerns. I participate in plant husbandry and there are some issues anyone who would even try to dabble in growing plants can clearly see:

-Where is the water going to come from?
-Even if you have limitless solar power (arguably many answers to these issues are the opposite of what you're saying people are doing; whitepilled "everything will be fine somehow" bullshit) how do you cool a greenhouse in a 120 degree cloudless day? How do you do it for 4 months?
-Where does all the fertilizer come from because plants can't exist off just oxygenated water alone?

It is possible to say that America currently produces far more feed for cattle and soybeans for export than it does vegetables for human consumption, but that doesn't mean that we could suddenly change that positively. An authoritarian country could mobilize a thousand hydroponic tower warehouses, but this is America and capitalism will not allow that. We can see what tiny stresses on our current systems of capital produce: hospitals that are no-longer places you can safely go, grocery store shelves filled with cardboard box ads to hide the emptiness.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 15:30 on Aug 11, 2021

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Peanut President posted:

okay here's some unrelated capitalism

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1425420240616411137

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i am harry posted:

No mate, these aren't excuses, they're legitimate concerns. I participate in plant husbandry and there are some issues anyone who would even try to dabble in growing plants can clearly see:

-Where is the water going to come from?
-Even if you have limitless solar power (arguably many answers to these issues are the opposite of what you're saying people are doing; whitepilled "everything will be fine somehow" bullshit) how do you cool a greenhouse in a 120 degree cloudless day? How do you do it for 4 months?
-Where does all the fertilizer come from because plants can't exist off just oxygenated water alone?

It is possible to say that America currently produces far more feed for cattle and soybeans for export than it does vegetables for human consumption, but that doesn't mean that we could suddenly change that positively. An authoritarian country could mobilize a thousand hydroponic tower warehouses, but this is America and capitalism will not allow that. We can see what tiny stresses on our current systems of capital produce: hospitals that are no-longer places you can safely go, grocery store shelves filled with cardboard box ads to hide the emptiness.

I think you're missing the whole "we also think nearly every member of the human race will die" part, like the only bit we disagree on is whether it's extinction or not. I don't think anyone in this thread is deluded enough to believe America will magically put all its production capacity into the Correct Solution minutes before collapse or whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is OPEC+ the new improved version of OPEC or something

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

this is so stupid

first off it pisses off anyone who remotely cares about climate change because more fossil fuels

2nd it doesn't actually do anything its basically a letter to OPECs manager asking them to up production with no incentives or consequences

but then again democrats pissing people off without actually doing anything is pretty on brand so, why the gently caress not

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Crazycryodude posted:

Humanity's not going to go extinct. Worst case our (in the general colloquial sense, I'm not having kids lmao) great-great-great-grandkids end up back in like the "muscle powered agriculture" and "ironworking is a prestigious career" level of civilization. I know that might be a terrifying thought to a bunch of internet poisoned goons but just because Twitter's gone doesn't mean humanity dies out.

Yep, we're getting the Ozymandias ending

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Shame Boy posted:

One weird consolation prize though is that we're all gonna make bitchin' fossils for aliens to dig up a hundred million years from now. We build most of our poo poo near the water, and the ocean is going to pretty much instantly change to a level much higher than it is now (in geologic time anyway) which means very little of that is going to get eroded before it's covered in silt and locked away into rock strata. On top of this we're drastically increasing the amount of silt being released into the oceans due to weathering and agriculture so we'll get buried even faster. And we're leaving a trail of incredibly obvious chemical and geological signals that will get recorded in the rocks for millions of years to come that will be a bright blinking sign saying "idiot civilization buried in this layer" to anything that bothers to look.

So that's... something.

Those aliens are going to have such a bitchin' Hall of Dildos in their museum

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Civilisation will collapse"
"No it won't we'll just end up with a few hundred thousand humans living at subsistence level while the ecosystem reconfigures itself over thousands if not millions of years. God you're such a pessimist."

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

they found oil in some more countries and stuck those countries in

they found more oil in the usa but the usa is never gonna get invited into opec lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Splicer posted:

"No it won't we'll just end up with a few hundred thousand humans living at subsistence level while the ecosystem reconfigures itself over thousands if not millions of years. God you're such a pessimist."

Tbh I don't even buy the few thousand huddled survivors anymore, given our penchant for genocide and access to nukes I'm not 100% sure we're going to have any mammals left afterwards

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Peanut President posted:

No gently caress you, cuck rear end president av having nerd

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

i think the original distinction was between species and civilization. i think the optimists are saying that the human species will survive but civilization will not

not that i'm making any bets about the future. i'm just here to see how bad it gets

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it seems pretty obvious to me that extinction is extremely unlikely and the collapse of global civilization is extremely likely

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

World War Mammories posted:

it seems pretty obvious to me that extinction is extremely unlikely and the collapse of global civilization is extremely likely

Yeah i think this is just that Internet Thing happening where all views are boiled down to a hard binary so saying "humans won't go totally extinct" might as well be saying "things will continue exactly as they are now and everything will be fine"

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

It's the premium streaming service for on-demand oil delivery.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
if we're lucky, cannibalism won't be widespread for a few more decades

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Forseti posted:

Yep, we're getting the Ozymandias ending

giant space squids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
y’all are all hoping for a collapse but really it’s not going to be something that just happens one day.

every year things will get a bit shittier. maybe some countries will start bombing each other because one country diverted a river. maybe it’ll get too expensive to put gas in your car. drat no avocados at the grocery store much anymore. probably shouldn’t take that trip to California, the wildfires are bad this year. I swear I remember it being cooler this time of year. the grass is all dead in my front lawn. what happened to that beach I went to as a kid. another loving hurricane?