Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

just another posted:

I got the vaxx for two reasons:
1. I saw which way the wind was blowing with vaccine passports and my current employment is precarious
2. My friends were all vaxxed and I felt like I wasn't being a good tribesman

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

I'll end it there because I don't want to be a crank, but you're not alone in being hesitant on these dead dumb forums.

Are you in the US? Because I'm pretty sure we don't have anything that can really be called a "vaccine passport" and probably never will. Even though we really should have them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the passports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

just another posted:

1. I saw which way the wind was blowing with vaccine passports and my current employment is precarious

But I very deeply resent that I felt coerced to get it for those reasons and not because I was afraid of Covid, or that I believe The Science, or that I think requiring proof of vaccination is an acceptable ask by government or private industry.

I'll end it there because I don't want to be a crank, but you're not alone in being hesitant on these dead dumb forums.

those are good reasons. personally, I got vaccinated because I'm not a big loving idiot moron who wants to risk a horrific death for absolutely no reason. we all have our reasons man

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I got the covid and it didn't affect me much at all. Then I also got the vaccine, mostly because, you know, it's free and might help

But it's hard to care that much about this pandemic in this country (Sweden) when no one else is even wearing masks and poo poo.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The fuckwit in Australia who breached the covid lockdown travel restrictions a few days ago and turned out to be covid positive (and is now in hospital) has been officially charged.

He's a loon who doesn't believe the pandemic is real so he didn't use the QR contact tracing app at any of the places he visited and he was refusing to cooperate so we don't know exactly where he went. His family has also tested positive to covid.
We've had to lockdown the entire region, so far there's been no further cases up there but it's pretty much inevitable.

I wish I could explain how hilarious it is as an American that a government would have the good sense and the people the (mostly) understanding to lock down an entire region just because one single idiot went traveling with covid.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think I posted that I had gone back to 100% masking last week, and that I assumed mask mandates would be coming back? Because I was right - Oregon is going back to requiring masks indoors regardless of vaccination status.

https://news.yahoo.com/oregon-order-indoor-mask-mandate-002857280.html

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Charliegrs posted:

Are you in the US? Because I'm pretty sure we don't have anything that can really be called a "vaccine passport" and probably never will. Even though we really should have them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about the passports.

Remember that Fox News has a kind of passport.

https://twitter.com/EINS78/status/1423993276252704770

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

AHH F/UGH posted:

I wish I could explain how hilarious it is as an American that a government would have the good sense and the people the (mostly) understanding to lock down an entire region just because one single idiot went traveling with covid.

Yeah, I kept hearing talk of contact tracing in the US but I don’t think it ever happened.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
It would be interesting to see whether general infection control issues (e.g. MSRA) in hospitals drops when they get rid of the anti-vax employees.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/newsmax/status/1425370284312338433

Laughing at you as you all choke to death on your own fluids.

https://twitter.com/DonaldJTrumpJr/status/1425235552694153217

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1425343766119002117

Nice to see the US is still paving the way for younger democracies.

https://twitter.com/BaelaLayla/status/1425275058860216323

I like Biden when he does his “You are all idiots” explanations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

The hazing ritual to join DELTA MAGA LIGMA is pretty extreme

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

just another posted:

The gently caress?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

An anti-vaxxer nurse apparently managed to give/orchestrate/whatever about 8500 patients (numbers are still rising, supposed to be over 10000 maybe) a saline shot instead of an actual vaccine over the last couple of months over here. She was the one responsible for handing out the vaccine to the people that administered it.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/suspected-saline-switch-sparks-vaccine-stir-germany-2021-08-10/

e: looking at the corona-map, that's close to where the next wave is currently forming. gently caress that.

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Aug 11, 2021

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Zzulu posted:

I got the covid and it didn't affect me much at all. Then I also got the vaccine, mostly because, you know, it's free and might help

But it's hard to care that much about this pandemic in this country (Sweden) when no one else is even wearing masks and poo poo.

It's not much better across the bridge, in Denmark they removed the mask restriction the same day as the delta variant showed up here, there is a thing that says that if you don't have a mask on you gotta stay 2m away but lol if anyone ever does that, I for one won't mourn the dumbshits.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

just another posted:

Serious question - what are your thoughts on other vaccinations? And what are your thoughts on childhood vaccinations and requirements for attending public schools?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

tuo posted:

An anti-vaxxer nurse apparently managed to give/orchestrate/whatever about 8500 patients (numbers are still rising, supposed to be over 10000 maybe) a saline shot instead of an actual vaccine over the last couple of months over here. She was the one responsible for handing out the vaccine to the people that administered it.

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/suspected-saline-switch-sparks-vaccine-stir-germany-2021-08-10/

e: looking at the corona-map, that's close to where the next wave is currently forming. gently caress that.

I hope that results in a murder charge for every one of those people who dies.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

gay picnic defence posted:

I seldom say something like that, but I hope that nurse goes to prison, and stays there.

e: hmmm...where is north again?

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 11, 2021

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

Serious question - what are your thoughts on other vaccinations? And what are your thoughts on childhood vaccinations and requirements for attending public schools?

Not even vaccines: what are your thoughts on food prep workers choosing not to wash their hands after taking a poo poo? I mean, it is their freedom to do so and the chance of food poisoning is low.

Or food prep workers who use the same utensils on raw meat and then other food items? Transfer of germs is a theory, and again, food poisoning isn't fatal and most allergies aren't either.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

gay picnic defence posted:

And attempted murder for everyone who doesn't.

Seriously this deserves an LWOPP for sure. Comic villain evil.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I mean, at this point.....just wear the mask?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Xenocides posted:

https://twitter.com/BaelaLayla/status/1425275058860216323

I like Biden when he does his “You are all idiots” explanations.
I love that laugh. Huh huh huh what am I supposed to do? I'm just the president.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hey, stupid question time. I got two of them:

1. How do they calculate the "recovered" number

2. What would someone use that number for?

quote:

Coronavirus Cases: 20,213,388
Deaths: 564,890
Recovered: 19,022,724

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume some country stats are just like "if someone has been infected for more than X number of weeks, assume they've recovered"

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

A Fancy Hat posted:

I think they're good. Canada (or at least Ontario) has also done a good job of allowing for exceptions for anti-vaxxer parents while making those exceptions tedious enough to obtain as to filter out people who aren't really committed to it (eg. Religion exemption vs Facebook Aunt).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dead people also count as recovered in some common epidemiological models.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

just another posted:

thanks for doing the right thing but you are a deeply stupid person, and i really mean that

is this how you feel about wearing pants as well?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
also i'd just like to point out that if the government did require you to get vaccinated they would be entirely within their rights to do so and i really would enjoy seeing you dumb fucks lined up to get the jab at gunpoint

just another
Oct 16, 2009

I came of age during the Bush era. If a private-public partnership's full-court press to push a heavily politicized and profit-generating solution to a crisis doesn't set off every alarm bell in your head then the feeling is mutual.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Truly it is Pfizer’s nineteen dollars and fifty cents that’s driving the vaccination push. :rolleyes:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

just another posted:

I came of age during the Bush era. If a private-public partnership's full-court press to push a heavily politicized and profit-generating solution to a crisis doesn't set off every alarm bell in your head then the feeling is mutual.

George Bush is getting SO owned by you being afraid of vaccines, just imagine the look on his face when he hears!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Mozi posted:

also i'd just like to point out that if the government did require you to get vaccinated they would be entirely within their rights to do so and i really would enjoy seeing you dumb fucks lined up to get the jab at gunpoint

The "Get the shot or get shot" joke is getting less and less of a joke each passing day.

Also wasn't there a mask suggestion thing in the old op or was that another thread? Been thinking of grabbing a halfmask that filters both in and out lately and it's taking every fiber in my body to just not buy an actual gasmask and freak out the boomers that still somehow don't understand that you should use the hand sanitizer at the entrance of basically loving everywhere. A halfmask that's easy to get in europe would be nice.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The guy took the vaccine why are you all getting heated

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
heated gamer pandemic moments

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Zzulu posted:

Seriously, we should expect there to be a good number of "I got it but didn't really want to" folks. That means incentives are working.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

just another posted:

This is the best possible illustration of why we need employer vaccination mandates and the like in the U.S.

The point is not to convince the "hesitant". It's to get as many of them in to the vaxxed column as possible. The fact that this poster did so resentfully and with a grudge shows that the method is effective. The important part is not convincing them or them being happy about getting vaxxed, but just them getting it. If them being convinced or being happy about it were a necessary condition we'd be stuck at the vaccination numbers we're at forever.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Zzulu posted:

Because of the "muh freedoms" smugposting, mainly.

I mean, yeah, a vaxxed dumbo is better than an unvaxxed one but that post gave me the same vibes as that one reddit thread in London subreddit about a guy considering getting the jab because he likes clubbing and doesn't want to get hassled at the entrances (many big clubbing events require vaccination pass and/or negative lateral flow test [free] on the same day).

I'm not like teeth gnashing mad but goddamn that "Fine, I'll get your 5G juice but only because the normies are socially pressuring me to do so" attitude riles me up.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

George Bush is getting SO owned by you being afraid of vaccines, just imagine the look on his face when he hears!

He didn't get owned, unfortunately. In fact, some of of his worst bullshit was taken up and expanded upon by his successor, and his successor was even harder on whistleblowers who leaked data that the government felt was too problematic to be trusted to voters.

This time will be different, though. I'll see.

Anyway, I got the vaxx even if my motives weren't pure. I'll probably take whatever boosters are coming our way. To anyone else not singing in the choir, don't let goons who should know better try make you feel guilty about distrusting the government, especially when its marching in lockstep with the news media. :911:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Distrusting the government is not part of trusting a vaccine made by for-profit companies. Stop acting like you're doing some kind of good thing by remaining skeptical of things you barely understand. That's just called being human.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

How high can you goooo :marc:
https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1425155135370502147?s=20

“I sent my children off to a death zone and I’m sad” :saddowns:
https://twitter.com/carothers_kelly/status/1425155405596987397?s=20

Speaking of Dumbass Joe Rogan, I was wondering how he was doing, apparently the world’s most popular podcast is really helping

https://twitter.com/StarMan71826061/status/1425155941125660672?s=20

I also checked Rogan’s Twitter and it’s all antivaxx stuff but in a “well, I’m just asking questions” way

Is there a way to complain @ Spotify for his dumbass podcast being there? There’s not even a way to block it and it keeps recommending it

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 11, 2021

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Galewolf posted:

I'm not like teeth gnashing mad but goddamn that "Fine, I'll get your 5G juice but only because the normies are socially pressuring me to do so" attitude riles me up.

maybe stop vilifying regular people by strawmanning them into insane conspiracy theorists and you won't feel so worked up? this guy has justifiable concerns about government coercion and control on a topic that is extremely politicized and he's right to draw parallels to 9/11 as an american. there are a lot of people like this who aren't 100% gung ho on board with the belief that their government has purely good intentions and won't exploit disasters to further entrench power. that doesn't make them anti-vaxxers or a "5G juice" lunatics or whatever, and it's disingenuous to paint them as such

(yes i am fully vaxxed and i did so as early as possible with full enthusiasm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Joe Rogan is basically a war criminal at this point on top of hosting the most vehement "anti-vaxx / just asking questions bro (tm) / just a flu, bro" people while being a sheltered in his Austin mansion eating elk meat and doing drugs.