Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mycomancy posted:

Wait, I'm confused. Did FDR read an English version that toned Hitler down to be more acceptable to a liberal capitalist? Is that what I'm reading?

If it is around 300 pages it is, the original is rather large at 720-800 pages. Supposedly, there is only one full translation of Mein Kampf in English and the vast majority you would see in most public libraries/bookstores is the abridged version.

Also, supposedly all the abridged versions are very poorly translated.

It sounds like FDR read both the original and at least looked at the abridged version. (Supposedly FDR knew both German and French from a young age.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:04 on May 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
An unabridged English version was first published in February of 1939, and it too had its flaws.

All the English translations smooth over the worst of Hitler’s prose, which isn’t exactly a good thing when it’s the manifesto of a madman.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/robkhenderson/status/1398322044685725700

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

Spangly A posted:

the guardian just ran a series celebrating their 200th birthday. One of the segments was how they changed their personal ads section into a refugee section during the holocaust, and there's hundreds of adverts from jewish people writing in "please take my kids, they are lovely, we're getting systematically murdered by the nazis". The segment was written by one of the kids who was rehomed from the ads section.

I'm not going to say that everyone was fully aware of the locations and technicalities, or talk about Americans in particular, but I'm strongly against the idea that the average person in Europe didn't know hitler was comitting mass murder. Entire populations were rounded up, disappeared, and not heard from ever again. It was public knowledge (via escapees) from 1942 onwards, and the political and material value of destroying the camps were discussed within bomber command.

My extended family settled in many areas in South Dakota, where a lot of German POWs were put in agricultural production camps. My Great Grandfather, a Lutheran Pastor, who still spoke German at home with my Grandfather and other 11 children became a Minister/spy to them after being asked to by the Army. He would spend time with them after preaching, and would take confessions from some of the Catholic soldiers. He learned about what was going on from soldiers captured in Africa in late 1942 about how Jews were being killed wherever they were found. He was told in 1943 about bunch of Tunisian Jews that were graphically killed by the Nazis. In early 1945, he learned first hand about the Death camps from captured POWs. He was told by the Army not to talk about it during the war, and even afterwards.
My Great Uncle, from my Grandfather's family of 12 kids was slightly younger than my Grandfather, and was not 18 until early 1945. He was stationed in Germany after the war. My Great Grandfather told him about what he learned before he left for Germany. My Great Uncle Herman stated that even in areas that were not close to eastern Germany, the civilian population around Essen knew all about the camps, because it was such a big industrial center, that Essen, sometimes had more Concentration Camp POWs and Jews doing forced labor in manufacturing than the German population of Essen itself.

Both my Great Grandfather, Great Uncle, and Grandfather were before the war, very proud of their German heritage. The town they lived had English as a second language till the late 1940s (when people switched speaking German at home) and a Weekly German Language Newspaper published until the 1970s. After learning about these things, they really lost their love of Germany, and were very disenchanted with the fast recovery of Germany and the way that only 10 years after the war, it seemed like all was forgiven and forgotten as along as West Germany was on our side. My Grandpa and Great Uncle Herman stopped saying his was German, and instead insisted he was French, because we hail from the Alsace-Lorain area of Europe, which has historically been exchanged between Germany and France for the past 500 years.

My Grandfather was a SeaBee in the navy. He told a story about how after some Pacific Islands were taken, a few Japanese soldiers would still be running around taking pot shots at them. On one Island (don't remember the name, was 20-25 years ago when he told me) some of the Japanese stole Navy and Army uniforms out to dry and tried to sneak into line to get chow one day. He said they were taken outside and shot. He said this happened more than once. He was actually quite angry about Japan getting off so lightly after the war. I know part of it was racism, but the other part was how horribly they treated their POWs and civilians they encountered. The way the Japanese treated women during the war horrified him. He said that finding the corpses of civilian women was the worse part of his job as a SeaBee when landing on freshly taken or contested islands. I know he spent a year in the Philippines in1945 helping rebuild infrastructure. He refused to talk about his experiences after he stated that.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The marginalia in Roosevelt's copy specifically states that they have left something out of the translation. Roosevelt lived and schooled in Germany as a child or teenager

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmazingPosts_/status/1381908445608226816

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/MarieMyungOkLee/status/1406973327256784899

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/CaseyHo/status/1406670793791053827

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Hesp365/status/1406775136712216577

lol this loving rear end in a top hat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

his calling attention to that discrepancy is now making me seriously wonder why our official figures for napalm use are so comparatively low because no one disputes that the united states destroyed literally every multistory building in korea and its hard to imagine that twenty times as much napalm with an extra ten years of research and development could somehow do less damage to vietnam

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

milhist question: listening to revolutions and the description of the brusilov offensive kinda sounds like a proto-deep battle strategy; was that an explicit inspiration?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Deep Battle includes elements of modern combined-arms and maneuver/mechanized warfare - the Brusilov Offensive isn't really comparable because too few elements of these existed (most importantly tanks and aircraft) as of 1916.

What we can say is that it exhibited elements of maskirovka, which we know Russian military thinkers taught and practiced at the time.

Further, the use of a short, sharp artillery barrage instead of a prolonged bombardment, as well as some version of infiltration tactics, were advances in tactical doctrine that all belligerents eventually came to in WWI.

Some excerpts from Normal Stone's "The Eastern Front, 1914-1917":

quote:

The gathering was heartened by Brusilov. He said he would attack in the summer, that he would need only trivial reinforcements in men and guns. Kuropatkin ‘looked at me and shrugged his shoulders, in pity’. Brusilov was told to go ahead, although, since he had not much superiority of any kind—except leadership—over the Austrians, no-one expected from his offensive much more than a tactical success, and quite possibly only a repetition of the Strypa failures. Yet Brusilov’s team had come up with new ideas that made for the most brilliant victory of the war. They had studied the failures of December and January, which—as Zayonchkovski says—served something of the same purpose as the Russo-Japanese war had done. In reality, the Russo-Japanese war had led men often enough merely to a more vigorous repetition of the same views as before, whereas Brusilov’s command seems to have thought things out radically. Whatever the reason, these men came onto methods that were used—without acknowledgment—by Ludendorff in 1918, and then by Foch. To some degree, these new methods were forced on Brusilov by his very weakness. He could not hope for a crushing superiority of shell, and so had to think things out in other terms; in a sense, he had an advantage of backwardness, of being forced to move from 1915 to 1918 without passing through the stage of sacrificial Materialschlachten between them.

In the circumstances, there seemed no solution at all except ‘attrition’—to attack the enemy where he could be hit hardest, where he would be obliged to fight, i.e. his strongest point—and then make him lose many thousands of men by heavy bombardment. This was the method chosen by Falkenhayn in summer, 1915, and executed particularly by Mackensen. A great phalanx would be assembled in the central part of the front, with thousands of shells for up to a thousand guns—Gorlice; Radymno; Krasnostaw; Przasnysz. The validity of this method had been impressed on Russian commanders in the most direct possible way, and most of them now could only think of producing some imitation of the German phalanx-system. Shcherbachev had tried it on the Strypa, and Pleshkov had tried it at Postawy. Now Evert had much the same in mind for the summer offensive. It was certainly true that these methods more or less announced in advance that attack was coming, and gave the enemy time to move up reserves, if he had any (as the Russians believed, in 1915, that they had not, at least none with sufficient mobility). Consequently, the break-through operation would have to be attempted again, as Mackensen had seen.

In December and March, the Russians had failed with these methods. Of these failures, various interpretations were possible. On the south-western front, the view was taken, by Brusilov though not by some of his subordinates, that the break-through operation had failed precisely because strength had been too narrowly concentrated. Pflug, commanding 2. Corps on Shcherbachev’s front, had attacked on a single kilometre of front; Pleshkov in March had really attacked only on a front of two kilometres, out of twenty. The theory, here, had been that a great weight of concentrated shelling would at least remove anything living from the small space involved—which was usually true enough—and that the Russian army did not have shell for more than two or three kilometres of front to be the object of such concentrated fire. It needed 400 heavy shells to tear a gap of fifty yards on three-strand barbed-wire, or 25,000 light shells; and when Austro-German wire was stepped up to nineteen or twenty strands, as came to be the case late in 1915, with not one but three different belts, the quantity of shell became literally incalculable, the more so as heavy artillery was not particularly accurate. Officers thought that only an extreme concentration of fire could bring results. In December, this had proved to be true: two, three Austro-Hungarian trench-lines would be occupied. But, in a small area like this, the attackers became highly vulnerable to enemy artillery to right and left, since it could rake them from both sides and front, while they were un-protected, and their supply-lines, reserve-lines and the rest were open to bombardment. Yet to deal with this problem—enfilading fire—seemed to demand a contradictory solution—attack on a front sufficiently broad that troops breaking through would not be within range of guns to right and left—in other words, a front of at least thirty kilometres. But a front of this length could not be broken through, since there would not be enough shell—or so the theory ran. Most commanders preferred to believe that the break-through operations had failed for a variety of other causes—not enough shell in particular; reserves not moved into support fast enough; troops lacking in ‘elan’, and so on. Each of these had sufficient validity to be convincing to many experienced observers. But they were far from being the whole truth.

Brusilov and his staff came up with good answers to all of this. It was, first, vital to disrupt the enemy’s reserves—his local reserves and his frontal ones. When the break-through came, the attackers would not therefore have to face the resistance and counter-attack of fresh troops. This could be achieved, first, by surprise—the enemy must be caught off his guard. Preparation must be concealed as far as possible—if it had to be done, it must proceed along the whole length of the front. Then, there must not be one single attack, but several, at more or less the same time, so that the enemy would not know where to expect the main blow. As regards the problem of breaking-through, the blows must be delivered along a front of not less than thirty kilometres, so as to avoid the problem of enfilading-fire. Reserves must be brought close to the front line, hidden in great, deep dug-outs (‘platsdarmy’) with excellent communications to the front line. When troops got through a breach in the wire, they must be immediately followed by reserves. The artillery must co-operate closely with infantry—gunners living in the front trenches, carefully studying the problems, getting to know the infantry officers involved. There was one drawback to this method—that it entailed not assembling huge forces of infantry and cavalry at any point, so as not to draw the enemy’s attention to the point of attack. If a break-through came, it could not be exploited very greatly. Moreover, Brusilov not only failed to make use of cavalry, but seems even to have forbidden more than a division or two to take part in his offensive, at least on the main front, near Lutsk. He lost mobility, though no doubt gained endlessly better supply-arrangements.

The preparation ordered by Brusilov’s staff was thorough beyond anything hitherto seen on the eastern front. The front-trenches were sapped forward, in places to within fifty paces of the enemy lines—at that, on more or less the entire front. Huge dug-outs for reserve-troops were constructed, often with earth ramparts high enough to prevent enemy gunners from seeing what was going on in the Russian rear. Accurate models of the Austrian trenches were made, and troops trained with them; aerial photography came into its own, and the position of each Austrian battery noted—an innovation, since on the other fronts pilots were not given any training in aerial photography at all. The fact, too, that reserve-troops were under the same command for a number of months also helped organisation—another comparative rarity.

The Brusilov Offensive stands out because it was the most competently-lead and planned operation of the Russian Imperial army, but it was no Deep Battle.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was reading a bunch of wikipedia articles on mao - incidentally there is absolutely no consistency in the death estimates between the pages for, say, the cultural revolution, the great chinese famine, the great leap forward, Lysenkoism and individual people involved even when talking about the exact same event, one will say so and so million died and the next page will be ten times that number it's utterly wild- when i found this on the page for mao's fourth wife and gang of four member of many names Jiang Qing. there is this utterly bonkers section in her biography that isn't repeated on the "Death of Mao" or on Mao's page:

quote:

Death of Mao Zedong

On 5 September 1976, Mao's failing health turned critical when he suffered a heart attack, far more serious than his previous two earlier in the year. Upon being contacted by Hua Guofeng, Jiang Qing returned from her trip to the countryside and spent only a few minutes in the hospital's Building 202, where Mao was being treated. Later she returned to her own residence in the Spring Lotus Chamber.[citation needed]

On the afternoon of 7 September, Mao's condition took a turn for the worse. Mao had just fallen asleep and needed to rest, but Jiang Qing insisted on rubbing his back and moving his limbs, and she sprinkled white powder on his body. The medical team protested that the dust from the powder was not good for his lungs, but she instructed the nurses on duty to follow her example later.[citation needed]

The next morning, 8 September, she went into Mao's room to visit him again. This time, she wanted the medical staff to change Mao's sleeping position, claiming that he had been lying too long on his left side. Li Zhisui, the lead doctor on duty objected, explaining to her that Mao could breathe only on his left side. Jiang ordered Li to move Mao nonetheless. As a result, Mao's breathing stopped and his face turned blue. Jiang Qing left the room while Dr. Li and the rest of the medical staff put Mao on a respirator and performed an emergency cardiopulmonary resuscitation.[citation needed]

Eventually, Mao was revived and Hua Guofeng urged Jiang Qing not to interfere further with the doctors' work. However, nearly all of Mao's organs failed and he fell into a coma by the end of that day. With Mao beyond recovery and unwilling to further prolong his suffering, Jiang and other members of the Chinese government decided to disconnect Mao's life support mechanism.[citation needed]

Mao's death occurred just after midnight at 00:10 hours on 9 September 1976. Mao's chosen successor, Hua Guofeng, became the chairman of his funeral committee. It was believed Hua was a compromise candidate between the free-marketeers and the party orthodox. Some argue this may have been due to his ambivalence and his low-key profile, particularly compared to Deng Xiaoping, the preferred candidate of the market-oriented factions. The party apparatus, under orders from Jiang Qing and Zhang Chunqiao, wrote a eulogy affirming Mao's achievements in order to justify their claims to power.[citation needed]

By this time, state media was effectively under the control of the Gang of Four. State newspapers continued to denounce Deng shortly after Mao's death. Jiang Qing was little-concerned about the weak Hua Guofeng, but she feared Deng Xiaoping greatly. In numerous documents published in the 1970s, it was claimed that Jiang Qing was conspiring to make herself the new Chairman of the Communist Party.[19]

i mean that's a mess of citation neededs so i can't read where on earth this is coming from, has anyone heard it or have more insight on it? it reads like some kind of insane conspiracy theory lol

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

CoolCab posted:

i was reading a bunch of wikipedia articles on mao - incidentally there is absolutely no consistency in the death estimates between the pages for, say, the cultural revolution, the great chinese famine, the great leap forward, Lysenkoism and individual people involved even when talking about the exact same event, one will say so and so million died and the next page will be ten times that number it's utterly wild- when i found this on the page for mao's fourth wife and gang of four member of many names Jiang Qing. there is this utterly bonkers section in her biography that isn't repeated on the "Death of Mao" or on Mao's page:

i mean that's a mess of citation neededs so i can't read where on earth this is coming from, has anyone heard it or have more insight on it? it reads like some kind of insane conspiracy theory lol

Did Mao get offed by someone sprinkling fentanyl on him?!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

mycomancy posted:

Did Mao get offed by someone sprinkling fentanyl on him?!

i want to know if there was some clique or book or something that claims that mao's once bougie actress wife chokeslammed him through the operating table while the medical staff loudly declare him broken in half.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/RyanHaecker/status/1420364758583291909

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/myhlee/status/1424408424880635911

this is worth reading not because its good but because theres a whole lotta unexpected yikes in here in terms of douglas making casual racisms and acting like antichinese prejudice is bad mainly because its poor business sense

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So if you listen to revolutions podcast Mike Duncan has apparently composed a punk rock opera about the French revolution.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
great, now you can listen to him saying de Tocqueville was right but there are three chords now

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

I was going to make a thread for stupid alternate histories, but I might as well use this one.

Suppose the German princes who historically tried to reestablish the monarchy during the Weimar Republic hooked up with the Nazi movement and rode its coattails back to power, winning the monarchist and conservative vote against Hindenburg in 1932. While in power, crown prince Wilhelm starts cracking down on socialists, and turn on the Nazis. How then would history remember the fallen National Socialist movement, and Hitler?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Maximo Roboto posted:

I was going to make a thread for stupid alternate histories, but I might as well use this one.

Suppose the German princes who historically tried to reestablish the monarchy during the Weimar Republic hooked up with the Nazi movement and rode its coattails back to power, winning the monarchist and conservative vote against Hindenburg in 1932. While in power, crown prince Wilhelm starts cracking down on socialists, and turn on the Nazis. How then would history remember the fallen National Socialist movement, and Hitler?

Some random loons like Golden Dawn or Casa Pound that barely anyone talks about nowadays.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Maximo Roboto posted:

both the socialists and nazis had massive popular support and huge paramilitary organizations backing them up, so what you're proposing here almost certainly means civil war and that's one that the monarchists aren't winning

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Maximo Roboto posted:

imo it's not a very plausible alternative, because the princes riding the Nazis' coattails would in all probability be more like the princes bringing a little bit of monarchist/conservative credibility to the Nazis rather than the Nazis bringing their large Depression-era following to the monarchists. Taking some of the conservative vote from Hindenburg in 1932 might mean Hitler taking power a year early, but it would be very unlikely to mean Hitler not having the nomination against Hindenburg in the first place.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/janecoaston/status/1426279588661973007

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not going to try and answer Maximo Roboto's question directly, but I did want to provide some context as to how the Kaiser viewed Hitler and the Nazis:

___

taken from "The Kaiser: Warlord of the Second Reich", by Alan Palmer

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/antoniogm/status/1426755420794757122

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Is there a good audiobook or podcast for a complete history of the soviet union?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the bit that gets left out of this story is that the British came back, burned every village on the way to Kabul, bombed the ancient city center into rubble, and then hosed off to let their puppet die once they'd gotten all the rape and murder out of their system

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

just found a superior thread that gets into that in much better detail

https://twitter.com/justinpodur/status/1427319555085553664

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

username tweet combo

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jiteshjustcool/status/1427513878062141441

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/LemieuxLGM/status/1431696932133507074

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mmabeuf/status/1433595798235885575
https://twitter.com/mmabeuf/status/1433597396613832706

The thread goes on for a bit longer on, if you're interested

This also got me to dig out my copy of James William Gibson's "The Perfect War: Technowar in Vietnam":

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
my go to historian blog, A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry, finished writing up a series about Victoria 2 and the historical context of the game mechanical decisions. I figured it might be interesting to read for people here.

https://acoup.blog/2021/08/13/collections-teaching-paradox-victoria-ii-part-i-mechanics-and-gears/

He also wrote some stuff about the use of chemical warfare in post ww1 combat, which is a good look at why international law is shaped the way it is and also covers some of the basics of some modern combat doctrines and how/why they're applied.

https://acoup.blog/2020/03/20/collections-why-dont-we-use-chemical-weapons-anymore/

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That Victoria 2 post is extremely my poo poo, thanks for sharing it. The way Paradox games have represented history, especially over different versions of the game is really interesting and you can see how the changing influences of what the devs are probably reading. EU4 going from the old Westernization decision to Institutions was a notable one.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I really liked that guy's incredibly long posts about representing or misrepresenting medieval warfare in Lord of the Rings, so I will definitely check out the Victoria one, thanks for the reference.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dreylad posted:

That Victoria 2 post is extremely my poo poo, thanks for sharing it. The way Paradox games have represented history, especially over different versions of the game is really interesting and you can see how the changing influences of what the devs are probably reading. EU4 going from the old Westernization decision to Institutions was a notable one.
The thing they're reading is the Paradox thread in games. By heroically calling them Euro/Swedocentric until the non-goon sourced devs largely stopped posting, we have forced them to address the ideological blind spots of their games. Goon entryism has also resulted in Marxist control over the Victoria franchise, the team lead being our very own Wiz, wresting it out of the hands of a Thatcherite. Games is the true vanguard of the revolution.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434246460254527488
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434250464153853952
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434252660727709699
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434254376235794432
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434255920985370625
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434258348535279617
https://twitter.com/martyrmade/status/1434260909782831104

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The thing they're reading is the Paradox thread in games. By heroically calling them Euro/Swedocentric until the non-goon sourced devs largely stopped posting, we have forced them to address the ideological blind spots of their games. Goon entryism has also resulted in Marxist control over the Victoria franchise, the team lead being our very own Wiz, wresting it out of the hands of a Thatcherite. Games is the true vanguard of the revolution.

until the Stellaris thread started accusing Wiz of racism over immigration mechanics lol

also the Battle of Blair Mountain is nuts. imagine gathering together all your unions and allies to face off against company strikebreakers and associated corrupt sheriffs and the loving air force shows up and bombs you

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

theres a quote i once read of a polish man speaking to the Austrian Empress and the Empress asking him if he was polish, and the man answers "No, Galician", and the Empress looks at him sadly.

anyone know the source?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/dfedman/status/1434732371597615113

https://mobile.twitter.com/dfedman/status/1434732380036550664

edit wrong tweet

Some Guy TT has issued a correction as of 02:06 on Sep 7, 2021