Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Pet food prices on Amazon have been insane for a while now - I get my cat's stuff from https://www.petdrugsonline.co.uk/, and the price has stayed constant (and almost 20% cheaper than Amazon) for two years now.

They didn't have the one I needed in stock. It was also out of stock at my local vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Barry Foster posted:

Thanks for letting me splurge.
Glad your dad's been given a clean bill of health Barry, is he still muttering darkly about vaccines causing his problems or has that stopped for a while? Hope he'll be a bit more manageable now.

ed: bird tax

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Great, now I want to go to Little Chef.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fear is the Little Chef that brings total obliteration.

CGI Stardust posted:

Help I think I'm having some kind of temporal lobe anomaly

brid was the right spelling all along

loving bord, what

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

The Berenstein Bords

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is hurting my head, I'm going outside to look at the breds

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
20 points ahead! (of the Lib Dems)

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1425427936337928196?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I know what'll help Labour pull back against the Tories, TURN THAT RACISM DIAL BABY

https://twitter.com/JSkeaping/status/1425428923983269891?s=20

That said, I'm also fed up of people like the person who tweeted this acting shocked that Labour councillors are loving garbage.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Fear is the Little Chef that brings total obliteration.

Help I think I'm having some kind of temporal lobe anomaly

brid was the right spelling all along

loving bord, what

Horse also used to be hros, and third and thirteen used to be thrid and thriteen (both closer in pronunciation to "three", you'll notice). Iron also used to be pronounced eye-ron; the pronunciation changed but not the spelling.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Reveilled posted:

Horse also used to be hros, and third and thirteen used to be thrid and thriteen (both closer in pronunciation to "three", you'll notice). Iron also used to be pronounced eye-ron; the pronunciation changed but not the spelling.

How eyrnic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
English is borken, scrap it and start again.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

English is borken,
No that's Swedish

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I know what'll help Labour pull back against the Tories, TURN THAT RACISM DIAL BABY

That said, I'm also fed up of people like the person who tweeted this acting shocked that Labour councillors are loving garbage.

It's a joke format mocking Rentoul's libellious tweet about Trickett.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Reveilled posted:

Horse also used to be hros,

And ros still means steed in Dutch. Connecting languages together is fun.

I've also been re-reading the Lord of the Rings with a reader's companion that explains how various names and words used were taken from specific, now-archaic English words, can recommend. E.g. the Shire village of Hardbottle using middle-English botl which means to build.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

It's a joke format mocking Rentoul's libellious tweet about Trickett.

lmao no it isn't, it's a meme making fun of Neil Kinnock's speech when he left Liverpool council to rot.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

forkboy84 posted:

I checked his feed. He appears on this:

https://twitter.com/Iromg/status/1420668544430321667

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That's exactly why the NHS needs more resources, so they can shove a 5 foot tube up every bum. I'm pretty sure Marx would agree with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaF_Xj_sVk

the laughing and retching cracks me up every time

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

I thought the mic was a golliwog.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao it looks like a racist minion.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

yes but what about the microphone

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Reveilled posted:

You can also use these to out-grammar-Nazi anyone complaining about peoples pronunciation,like expresso or pecifically.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lol. GBeebies is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1425127094946877444

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I forget if he is pound shop darren grimes or the other way around.

The briefing am with tom harwood is how they would have said it in middle english.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Reveilled posted:

Iron also used to be pronounced eye-ron; the pronunciation changed but not the spelling.

hang on, i might be misunderstanding something but isnt iron still kind of pronounced as eye-ron? :confused:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nurmie posted:

hang on, i might be misunderstanding something but isnt iron still kind of pronounced as eye-ron? :confused:

ei-un?

As in the difference between iron and ironic.

I think americans sometime still say it eye-run but in all the UK dialects I know, the R is silent.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

NoneMoreNegative posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndaF_Xj_sVk

the laughing and retching cracks me up every time

What did they think was going to happen?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

OwlFancier posted:

in all the UK dialects I know, the R is silent.

holy poo poo, in my 11 years of living in the uk and many more years of speaking english i've never realised that

as in, i just went on youtube and watched a uk person-narrated video about irons, and lo and behold, the R is silent. my mind is blown

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's still there in the word "ironic" and also "irony" but not in the word referring to the metal and/or thing you bügle your hosen with.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

ei-un?

I think americans sometime still say it eye-run but in all the UK dialects I know, the R is silent.
Americans say soddering iron, Brits say soldering ion.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

ei-un?

In parts of Northern Ireland the 'o' in iron would be silent. :shrug:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
pronunciation chat:

Having studied arabic where every consonant is 'honoured' and hearing Egyptians pronouncing English words in that manner, eg cry would be pronounced c-a-r-eye.
I can see how IF olde Englishe folkes 'honoured every consonant', brid would be pronounced b-r-i-d which if transliterated to modern English would become b-i-r-d to separate the b and the r (which in olde Englishe would have been pronounced separately). One Egyptian teacher of English I was talking to asked me how to get his students to sound 'more English' and my response was to say they need to learn to mash their consonants together. So many of our words (whitdz in English, w-u-r-d-s in Egyptian English) have mashed consonants.

thinking of a response 24 hours after the conversation chat:

I was talking to someone yesterday on the subject of Jiminy Crobins and she said everything she had read about him made her dislike him (What I should have asked is what had she read and where, what I did say was blah blah in 1995 Jiminy Crobins and my work blah blah).

Then she went on to moan about her labour-supporting friends who because they earned 40k each (total household income 80k) they could coin it in various allowances whereas she and her husband (he on £60k and she on £20k - total household income 80k) couldn't. And 'all those friends who support labour are in that position (the 2x40k position).
What I SHOULD have said was "Tories have been in power for nearly 12 years so this is THEIR policy because if they wanted to, they could have changed it." What I did say was something along the lines of "The benefit system is a mess and we have to think more holistically because I could let myself get bitter and twisted over the fact that having paid into the system for 40 years I'm not entitled to anything out of it but this person I know gets ££ for doing SFA but I don't let myself' waffle waffle.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 11, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I definitely say eye-urn rather than ion to talk about iron, as a Teuchter.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Then she went on to moan about her labour-supporting friends who because they earned 40k each (total household income 80k) they could coin it in various allowances whereas she and her husband (he on £60k and she on £20k - total household income 80k) couldn't. And 'all those friends who support labour are in that position (the 2x40k position).
Does she ever stop to think about any households that aren't on well over double the median household income?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Is it just me or are they now deliberately aping Sky News branding? I'm sure they were using a different typeface when they first launched, that one looks really, *really* like the one Sky uses

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CGI Stardust posted:

Glad your dad's been given a clean bill of health Barry, is he still muttering darkly about vaccines causing his problems or has that stopped for a while? Hope he'll be a bit more manageable now.

Ha, well remembered! When it was just blood in his poo poo he was convinced it had caused his bowel lining to dissolve. But I think even he stops short at blaming what must've been a multiyear tumour on a vaccine he had four months ago

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perhaps the vaccine can time travel. Though in that instance it still seems odd to blame it given that he was apparently predestined to have it.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

there is absolutely 0% chance that this bloke doesn't craftywank, fuckin lookit him lol

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Is it just me or are they now deliberately aping Sky News branding? I'm sure they were using a different typeface when they first launched, that one looks really, *really* like the one Sky uses

I still have no idea how I would even watch GB news. Is it on normal TV? Internet stream? A series of TikToks? Flipbooks through the post???

Please nobody actually tell me. I prefer it this way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You have to assemble a crystal radio set from a beard hair of a hate preacher who can't be deported because of the EU, a Tiffany diamond earring from a single mum on benefits, the wire that Black youths use to steal cars, and the wireless earbuds of a 20 year old Millennial. Only then can you receive the dark broadcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You need framed photographs of the queen, charles, andrew, and diana. Place them at the four cardinal directions and inscribe a circle of the national anthem to ward off outside forces during the ritual. Intone the mantra of the dread Da'li Xpr'ez, He Who Grumbles In The Pub, and you will receive the visions each night.

E: ^ :argh: