Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Or just get a NAS and don't use your fragile, stealable, laptop to store things for more than a couple of days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Any recommendations for websites/stores that sell laptop parts in the Euro area? I’m mostly finding ebay links so far.

Got a Thinkpad T440s that’s in great shape apart from a fan- bearing is shot from the sound of it.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
Good to know - unfortunately I no longer live near a microcenter :(

Hadlock posted:

Or just get a NAS and don't use your fragile, stealable, laptop to store things for more than a couple of days

I have been putting off buying a NAS but I'm at the point where I have replaced two of the 6 3.5in drives in my desktop with 14tb ENT drives to limp me along until I can afford to build a proper NAS.

I have a bunch of questions that I'll post in the NAS thread but yeah I have been data hoarding hardcore since the start of the pandemic and my addiction has been growing exponentially since.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
My old laptop has a GTX 970. It runs PS3 games at 720 with medium graphics settings. Even while playing the fans don't kick into high gear very often. My new laptop has an RTX 3060 and, even while playing cheaply made Unity games that can run on a toaster, the fans run almost all the time rather loudly. I've used MSI Afterburner and after 20 minutes or so of gaming, the temperatures hover between 65 and 70º C. Is this normal or did I change a setting without noticing?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have been putting off buying a NAS but I'm at the point where I have replaced two of the 6 3.5in drives in my desktop with 14tb ENT drives to limp me along until I can afford to build a proper NAS.

For a long time I was a big proponent of build vs buy, I had an i5 with 15 bay 4U case, when it comes to NAS, but as of 2017 it's really drat hard to build something as easy to use and reliable than a Synology NAS

Building a NAS is a young man's game

I bought a $400, 4 drive unit in 2017 and thought I'd need to get a 5 or 6 drive unit, but drive sizes keep getting larger faster than I can generate low compression 10 bit color 4K baby videos. $200 bought you a 4 or 6TB drive then, now $200 buys you 10 or 12 TB.

On top of that the Synology comes out of the box with a battle tested was glacier backup script, you just plug your rear end glacier credentials in it, and it does the rest on a weekly schedule, in case there's a fire or theft or something

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spermando posted:

My old laptop has a GTX 970. It runs PS3 games at 720 with medium graphics settings. Even while playing the fans don't kick into high gear very often. My new laptop has an RTX 3060 and, even while playing cheaply made Unity games that can run on a toaster, the fans run almost all the time rather loudly. I've used MSI Afterburner and after 20 minutes or so of gaming, the temperatures hover between 65 and 70º C. Is this normal or did I change a setting without noticing?

Maybe, what CPU and what laptop?

A lot of laptops have really aggressive fan curves to try to keep ahead of the heat. Older ones wouldn't necessarily. You can try setting things to "silent" when playing lighter games and see if that helps.

65-70 is pretty normal if your laptop GPU is engaged, even if it isn't really straining. The fan curves might be able to be dialed back, especially if you're playing on a pad. If you're playing on a couch or a bed or something it probably needs the fans going regardless.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
It's an Asus TUF Dash F15 and the CPU is an Intel Core i7-11370H. For some reason all of the fan options are greyed out in Afterburner.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for websites/stores that sell laptop parts in the Euro area? I’m mostly finding ebay links so far.

Got a Thinkpad T440s that’s in great shape apart from a fan- bearing is shot from the sound of it.

Follow-up and sanity check- I’ll be parting with somewhere between 150 and 250 usd (optimistic and pessimistic guesses at shipping and tolls) for a fan, thermal paste and a new battery since the current one has started to bulge a tiny bit.

Is that a reasonable price to rehabilitate a thinkpad? It’s a T400s with an an i74600u and an extra 500gb ssd. I just want a dedicated work/study laptop, already have a gaming solution. Electronics here in Scandinavia are about 40% more expensive than in NA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spermando posted:

It's an Asus TUF Dash F15 and the CPU is an Intel Core i7-11370H. For some reason all of the fan options are greyed out in Afterburner.

So you can set that stuff in the Armoury tool that comes with it. That's a pretty warm CPU (and honestly, GPU) with a lot more transistors than your old one. But I'm guessing your on performance-profile so the fans are going full bore as soon as some heat starts building.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

A nice balance between thermals and noise is a laptop pad with those fans. Those are like the least gimmicky $25 or whatever you can spend.

I was super hesitant to own one but it works really well at regulating both CPU,GPU, and frankly your own internals.

It's also nice if you ever throw a laptop on your bed but do not want it to co-luxuriate with your womb-like temperatures

Another frequent situation I use mine in; I have a heavy duty tripod with what is basically a sheet music holder on it as a laptop stand. The grade of the laptop cooler actually makes it easier to use, as does the increase in height

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

Follow-up and sanity check- I’ll be parting with somewhere between 150 and 250 usd (optimistic and pessimistic guesses at shipping and tolls) for a fan, thermal paste and a new battery since the current one has started to bulge a tiny bit.

Is that a reasonable price to rehabilitate a thinkpad? It’s a T400s with an an i74600u and an extra 500gb ssd. I just want a dedicated work/study laptop, already have a gaming solution. Electronics here in Scandinavia are about 40% more expensive than in NA.

Safely dispose of bulging battery, that's an active fire risk, bulge means the battery is rapidly decaying and the bulge means the flammable gas is being contained.

I would order a newer T series from North America for $250

A T450 will have double the battery life (T430 and newer are significantly more power efficient, nearly 50%) an i5 will be probably 20% faster than your 12 year old i7, physical battery condition will be 80% better

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 9, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Pardon the typo, its a T440s. So, err worthwhile then?

E: and yea I have a battery disposal nearby.

Looking around a bit more, I can get a refurb T440s for around 350, but that’s absolute base spec with an i5, 4gb ram and just 180gb ssd as opposed to a 250gb plus a 500gb.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 9, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe worthwhile yeah

While you're taking the guts out, swap in the T450s trackpad with the physical buttons

Not joking about the battery, don't store it near anything flammable until you can dispose of it

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I didn't know about Armoury Crate. I was also going to buy one of those cooling pads but I wasn't sure they were worth it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spermando posted:

I didn't know about Armoury Crate. I was also going to buy one of those cooling pads but I wasn't sure they were worth it.

1. Will frequently have long game/performance intensive application session
2. Will frequently play on a surface that is not very conductive (like a bed or couch). Wooden desks are usually not very good either.
3. Feel heat on the chasis or hear loud fans frequently.

If you have 2 or more of these then yes I think they're worth it. Don't need to get a fancy one, just need something that will conduct heat away better.

Try the Amoury crate settings first, that may do what you want for light applications.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Hadlock posted:

While you're taking the guts out, swap in the T450s trackpad with the physical buttons

Oh dang, that’s actually pretty tempting.

Took a closer look at the fan and it failed in a really funny way. One of the wires connecting it to the motherboard had broken. Presumably it was the speed control (because otherwise it shouldn’t be running at all) and the bearing wore out because the fan has been running at full blast all the time.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i am sorry for just being lazy and asking but

what's the best laptop? i want to play ps5 level games, render 3d graphics, edit videos with 3d graphics and all kinds of crap on it. is there a simple answer to this question?

i know about specs and all of that but then comes in build quality and various problems which you can't measure by those.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

roomtone posted:

what's the best laptop?

how long is a piece of string?

What's your budget, what games do you want to play, will you ever travel with it? Will it even leave the desk to go to the couch? What country do you live in. Do you want to play everything on ultra, medium or low, do you live in a hot climate? Cooler climates will give you better thermal headroom in those tiny poorly ventilated boxes

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 10, 2021

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I'm planning to continue using the old laptop for work or to watch Youtube around the house. But the hard drive's gotten really slow over the years. It now takes 40 minutes from booting for it to be remotely usable. What the most simple, painless way to get it back to speed? I don't mind deleting most of the files on it, but I'm not sure that will make much of a difference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You could spend $25 on a 128gig SATA ssd. Your hard drive is probably just dying.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Spermando posted:

I'm planning to continue using the old laptop for work or to watch Youtube around the house. But the hard drive's gotten really slow over the years. It now takes 40 minutes from booting for it to be remotely usable. What the most simple, painless way to get it back to speed? I don't mind deleting most of the files on it, but I'm not sure that will make much of a difference.
Install an SSD for a boot drive, add a stick of ram, load windows into the SSD. Don't know what it is but that ought to cover it if anything will.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, the 0 cost solution is just doing a new, fresh Windows 10 install on it but how much that will help will really depend. A cheap SSD is really a better route.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Well the Lenovo likely price mistake laptop that was supposed to ship in November got updated........to ship on 8/20. Wooooooooo!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Wrong thread. Thanks Awful App.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Will the SSD boot solution force me to install Windows again?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes. You can use something like Macrium to just clone your current hard drive, or just do a reinstall which is really fast.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Reinstalling windows takes like 20 minutes on an SSD, maybe less

Upgrading to even the shittiest SSD will make your computer faster than it was when it was new for a variety of science based reasons

Reinstalling vs cloning

A) avoids the headache of installing/learning to use clone software
B) guarantees any spyware/lovely old drivers don't follow you along to the new drive
C) probably is way faster unless you're on dial up

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I will say that under 0 circumstances would I personally clone the HD in this instance. It sounds like it probably hasn't been formatted since you got it.

I would cloud store (or USB drive, etc) whatever I wanted to save then do the cheap ssd+reinstall

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
What can $1000 get you in the gaming laptop market? I've got a buddy who started a job that has him driving to a different state each week and he needs something to game and stream Netflix on. I haven't bought a Windows machine in several years and everything is new and scary to me. Is the GPU shortage affecting laptops?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

Is the GPU shortage affecting laptops?

Yes, though not as severely. NVidia is producing a decent chunk of laptop GPUs, miners can't cheat their way up the supply chain and buy direct from distributors as easily, and scalpers aren't really scalping laptops. That said, supply issues still exist, and gaming laptops seem to be up 20% or so from where they should be.

BrianRx posted:

What can $1000 get you in the gaming laptop market?

At that price range, you're probably getting either a a 1660 or a 3050 Ti machine, such as this one. The 3050 Ti appears to be better than the 1660 provided you don't exceed the small 4GB vram budget, which is kind of easy to do in some games. Performance suffers quite a bit when that happens, but you can work around that by tweaking the settings (often the texture resolution settings). You may also be able to find used or open box 2060 machines for around $1000, and those provide about equivalent performance to the 3050 Ti without the massive dropoff in vram-hungry games.

I think I would ultimately encourage your friend to try to scrounge together a few hundred more dollars for a 3060 laptop. That will get you a much better and more consistent level of performance that will last longer into the future than any of the other GPUs mentioned. Unfortunately the price increase going up to the 3060 is quite sharp, though you can save one or two hundred bucks if you're willing to go open box or refurbished. (best buy has an "excellent condition" open box 3060 HP Omen for $1350, for example).

edit: And yeah, if he's not planning on doing anything fancy with it and is only playing low-spec stuff, then he could get away with a cheaper 1650 laptop, like this thing for $650. I recommend looking at the benchmarks from the Jarrod's Tech youtube channel. He's tested a ton of laptops.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Aug 11, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What games are they playing anyway do you know?

If its eSports stuff, the GPU question probably gets easy to solve. If I didn't need a beefy GPU I might compromise and get a better screen or something :shrug:

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes, though not as severely. NVidia is producing a decent chunk of laptop GPUs, miners can't cheat their way up the supply chain and buy direct from distributors as easily, and scalpers aren't really scalping laptops. That said, supply issues still exist, and gaming laptops seem to be up 20% or so from where they should be.

At that price range, you're probably getting either a a 1660 or a 3050 Ti machine, such as this one. The 3050 Ti appears to be better than the 1660 provided you don't exceed the small 4GB vram budget, which is kind of easy to do in some games. Performance suffers quite a bit when that happens, but you can work around that by tweaking the settings (often the texture resolution settings). You may also be able to find used or open box 2060 machines for around $1000, and those provide about equivalent performance to the 3050 Ti without the massive dropoff in vram-hungry games.

I think I would ultimately encourage your friend to try to scrounge together a few hundred more dollars for a 3060 laptop. That will get you a much better and more consistent level of performance that will last longer into the future than any of the other GPUs mentioned. Unfortunately the price increase going up to the 3060 is quite sharp, though you can save one or two hundred bucks if you're willing to go open box or refurbished. (best buy has an "excellent condition" open box 3060 HP Omen for $1350, for example).

drat dude/ette/x, you have been extremely helpful to me in the past week. I really appreciate it.

I'll take your advice and recommend to him to hold off and wait on a few more paychecks. He spends a lot of time on job sites and in hotels, so it's basically his only line to the outside world. It seems like the most important thing to him is that it will last a while, so the risk (or inevitability) of getting choked by a lack of VRAM would probably not be a good idea. I've only built desktops, but I imagine swapping GPUs down the road is not a realistic option. I'll look into 3060 machines, but if he were to scrounge up $1500, would things be considerably different in terms of longevity of the machine?

Statutory Ape posted:

What games are they playing anyway do you know?

If its eSports stuff, the GPU question probably gets easy to solve. If I didn't need a beefy GPU I might compromise and get a better screen or something :shrug:

Nothing too insane. I think he mostly plays coop with me. We've played a lot of Rocket League, Valheim, Sniper Elite 4, Dead Army whatever, the Forest, Green Hell, and the Division 2. I know he's looking forward to Icarus, but I haven't been paying attention to it and don't know how demanding it will be. I've maxed everything on that list with my crappy GPU with 2GB of VRAM, but I have a high tolerance for low frame rates and probably shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

I will say that under 0 circumstances would I personally clone the HD in this instance. It sounds like it probably hasn't been formatted since you got it.

I would cloud store (or USB drive, etc) whatever I wanted to save then do the cheap ssd+reinstall

I cloned a drive once, in the 1990s, using some lovely iomega utility and a jazz drive

Never again

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

The Samsung cloning software is super easy. I just plugged my ssd into an external enclosure, started the program, and came back in an hour.

Going from a 5400rpm hard drive to a good SSD is near-miraculous. Turned a 2015-era inspiron from a useless brick to a competent office machine, and only cost us £50.

Statutory Ape posted:

seeing "5400 rpm" triggered me in a way that most things labeled :nms: have not

Simply opening Dropbox would bring the laptop to its knees. And god forbid you had to reboot- it literally took 10 minutes to start up.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 11, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

seeing "5400 rpm" triggered me in a way that most things labeled :nms: have not

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Hey laptop folks, I was wondering what you all use for USB C/Thunderbolt docks, either at home or work? Our company is moving a smidge into the future with a hybrid workforce, which means laptops, and subsequently docks for extra monitors. We currently use dell laptops and their standard dock is like $285 so I wanted to put some feelers out there on other options, if they exist.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BrianRx posted:

drat dude/ette/x, you have been extremely helpful to me in the past week. I really appreciate it.

I'll take your advice and recommend to him to hold off and wait on a few more paychecks. He spends a lot of time on job sites and in hotels, so it's basically his only line to the outside world. It seems like the most important thing to him is that it will last a while, so the risk (or inevitability) of getting choked by a lack of VRAM would probably not be a good idea. I've only built desktops, but I imagine swapping GPUs down the road is not a realistic option. I'll look into 3060 machines, but if he were to scrounge up $1500, would things be considerably different in terms of longevity of the machine?

Nothing too insane. I think he mostly plays coop with me. We've played a lot of Rocket League, Valheim, Sniper Elite 4, Dead Army whatever, the Forest, Green Hell, and the Division 2. I know he's looking forward to Icarus, but I haven't been paying attention to it and don't know how demanding it will be. I've maxed everything on that list with my crappy GPU with 2GB of VRAM, but I have a high tolerance for low frame rates and probably shouldn't be used as a benchmark.

Thanks. :)

Here's a cheap 3060 option at $1150, emphasis on cheap: https://www.newegg.com/shale-black-...&quicklink=true

A video highlighting a flaw that seems to only be serious in the Intel version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSlNPBsLtTA

Could be worth it anyway at the lower than average price it's going for, and is likely an easier pill to swallow than $1500. And it's fixable with better RAM, which would still be a cheaper option than buying a $1500 3060 laptop. A full review with thermal testing and poo poo is coming later I guess.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 11, 2021

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nm, thought this was the GPU thread lmao.

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 11, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

Lol at the cheap rtx 3060 that's $200 more than my laptop with GTX 1060 was

1060 was unusually cheap but yeah, there's still a price premium on silicon. Most 3060 laptops are built better than 1060's were in 2017 though too.

Here's another cheap MSI option ($1200). I'd definitely look to upgrade RAM, otherwise this is probably significantly better than a Nitro imo

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gf-series-gf65-thin-10ue-092-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155717

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lockback posted:

1060 was unusually cheap but yeah, there's still a price premium on silicon. Most 3060 laptops are built better than 1060's were in 2017 though too.

Here's another cheap MSI option ($1200). I'd definitely look to upgrade RAM, otherwise this is probably significantly better than a Nitro imo

https://www.newegg.com/core-black-msi-gf-series-gf65-thin-10ue-092-gaming-entertainment/p/N82E16834155717

Tbh, you caught me before my edit. I thought you were comparing a single GPU component price, because I mistook what thread I was in.

Although it's telling I wasn't too flabbergasted that a midrange GPU would cost more than my laptop with the same tier GPU 3 years ago

Twas my mistake and the remarks were made at a post that didn't exist

E: altho I will stand up for the build quality of that particular Helios 300. It was really, really solid and reliable and then immediately after went to poo poo.

And 100% agree in my experience so many of the laptops of that era were basically garbage cans with pascal accoutrements

However one of my biggest things I try to help and want to learn to do more of is accessibility of PCs to hobbyists, so people/kids can use them for more than word processing and school. Shits expensive in a tough world so even if it's a Tin Can with a Ti it's great to see affordable points of entry. :shrug: pros n cons

Worf fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 11, 2021