Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Maybe it's just me though. I also don't really care for iOS and find it's UI much more scattershot and inconsistent than Android so that could contribute. Maybe Apple Watch owners are just so relieved to not deal with notifications on iOS that that have to sing the praises.

At the end of the day, there are only so many things you can do effectively from your wrist on a small screen. As a tech bauble that's used to enrich other ecosystem experiences, yeah, the Apple Watch excels but it's all meaningless if you aren't heavily entrenched in that ecosystem and I'm not even sure what an analog would look like on the Android side.

I definitely agree with this. I don't like iOS either and I really don't understand how every other OS, desktop and mobile, completely fail at notifications. That said, doesn't what you said just answer your own question about what the Apple Watch does that Wear doesn't? It's literally an accessory used to enrich other ecosystem experiences, that's what it is and what Wear doesn't do.

Apple has an ecosystem and the watch fits into it. I understand that Google is working with a breadth of OEMs and OSes but Wear just doesn't have a raison d'etre and it's obvious when you use it. It exists to do things, but not to make using your other stuff nicer. That's the point I'm trying to make because it's the answer to your question. The secret sauce isn't the feature set, it's the fact that it makes being in the Apple ecosystem more satisfying.

I will add this, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just an accessory that did its job but that's not the case either. The fact that it does its job poorly is a huge reason it draws the criticism it does. Resetting to pair with a new phone? The Play Store only available on the device itself? Abysmal hardware for almost a decade? Attention from the platform steward coming maybe once every three years at best? It's one thing to just be a smartwatch and not some ecosystem enhancement with thoughtful touches sprinkled throughout, it's another to be a poorly conceived and even more poorly executed attempt at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I guess my point is that if it's the whole "enriching ecosystem thing" then the idea that there could ever be a Wear device that could "compete" with the Apple Watch is like asking if 4 can ever equal 5. This whole line of questioning was to establish what google would have to do to field a wearable OS that people would deem suitable to compete in the market and the answer seems to be that they can't do anything because there isn't a top down product strategy. But that also means that if you aren't ensconced in that ecosystem (or really any ecosystem), then the parameters change quite a bit.

One thing I will point out is you can install apps from the play store on your phone again. They rolled that out in advance of Wear 3.0. If there's a wear app for something, it will say "Available on more devices" under the main listing and give you buttons to install on those other devices.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I guess I'd counter that if Google is controlling Wear OS software in its entirety, Android, and the mandatory helper app, then they should be able to do a little more but I'd acknowledge that ecosystem enhancement doesn't really have value to Google, Microsoft, or Samsung the way it does to Apple.

I did notice they walked that back but I think you'd agree with me that a whole lot more administration for Wear should be done on the phone (in fact, all of it should be). I understand the architectural reasons for it being the way it is since 2.0 is for iOS compatibility but once the war was lost they should've cut bait and worked on making a good wearable platform for Android users and that was five years ago.

I'd without question say that in most ways that matter, Android Wear 1.3 was better than what we have now and whatever we get moving forward is likely too little too late. I'm as optimistic about the future stuff as one can be in this situation but I think it's silly to pretend that mistakes haven't been made, doubled down on, and repeated for years on end at this point and that the thing we need most is a strategy that Google will commit to and that's something Google is absolutely terrible at doing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

I agree in theory, but in the end it's all meaningless colored circles to me. Gamifying exercise and activity has never worked for me in the motivation department.
It's not even gamification, I simply like some metrics to evaluate and see whether there's any improvement (among other reasons due to being 41 and doing it on and off), and some feedback during runs when I'm overexerting. For that I'd certainly like somewhat accurate sensor packages. Sure I could use a H10 from Polar, but lately I'm trying to go light.

So I'd certainly like the accuracy to look like on the right and not on the left, and if a future GW4 (or whatever other Android Wear watch) still acts like on the left, I'd be rather bummed out:

(The guy over on Youtube is called The Quantified Scientist. The data is captured via several spinning sessions wearing both devices. The closer the dots are to the blue line, the more are both devices in agreement. The red line indicates half HR on the watch vs the H10.)

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 31, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No coincidence I think of this while watching gf play cyberpunk, but imagine this. Forget the handset. Your soc is in your watch which then transmits display wirelessly to a head mounted dealie kinda like

I know, crazy, just thinking out loud. Of course input would be a barrier, although I'm delighted at the thought of communicating by voice only and never having to type on a touch screen again. Sounds nice but in practice would also have its own set of hurdles. Maybe instead of a traditional watch face you'd have kinda like a blown up fitbit sort of display maybe, 2, 2 and a quarter inches by an inch and a half? Options depending on wrist size. I dunno.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Sounds like Google Glass paired with a watch. I think the biggest hurdles would be designing the UI and finding a reason to use the thing in the first place.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I pride myself not wearing glasses, being a computer freak, that spends most of his time in front of a screen, and still has some semblance of 20/20 vision,, at age over 40. I won't be caught dead with a glasses look-a-like device. :mad:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Combat Pretzel posted:

I pride myself not wearing glasses, being a computer freak, that spends most of his time in front of a screen, and still has some semblance of 20/20 vision,, at age over 40. I won't be caught dead with a glasses look-a-like device. :mad:

My eyes have been bad since 2nd or 3rd grade. i feel like being into computers doesn't actually mean anything?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I only mentioned this, because pretty much every friend and acquaintance has been predicting bad eye sight for me for the last 24 years. BeCaUsE cOmPuTeR sCrEeNs! --edit: Which is kind of ironic, considering most of them are now hunching over a smartphone like Quasimodo.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

Sounds like Google Glass paired with a watch. I think the biggest hurdles would be designing the UI and finding a reason to use the thing in the first place.

Google bought North last year, which was slightly disappointing because they Focal 2.0 was rumored to be very impressive and Google has yet to do anything with the tech.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Snapdragon Wear 5100 in the works, according to Qualcomm code

https://9to5google.com/2021/08/03/snapdragon-wear-5100-seen-in-qualcomm-code/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung has released details of their W920 chipset in new Wear devices.

5nm
2 A55 cores
Mali G68 GPU (which they are saying is 10x more powerful than the outgoing chipset)
Separate M55 processor to drive the AoD

https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22617873/samsung-exynos-w920-chip-announced-galaxy-watch-4

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Really looking forward to the pricing announcement for the new Samsung watches. I had to factory reset my 2nd generation Moto 360 over the weekend because I had to restart it every night to get it to change to the charging screen. Even the factory reset had to be done a second time because the built-in apps got stuck in the "download pending" state as soon as they tried to update. Plus the (second) battery is now maybe 50/50 whether it'll last the day.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
When are these new drat watches getting released?

I know the event is Wednesday. How soon after the event are they usually available?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung usually ships within 2 weeks of their unpacked event, but I would imagine part of that depends on the software in this situation.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I did manage to get my HWatch back in service, though it took a week to get it to reset properly because it was running out of battery power during the process even while sitting on the dock. It's now back to making it through most days.

That said unless something is horribly wrong Samsung will be getting my money as soon as orders can be placed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Really kinda excited to see what the battery life is like on these new watches. My Watch 3 is a solid 2 day watch with AoD on. The ticwatch pro 3 is pretty close to a 5 day watch as long as I have lift to wake turned off.

This 5nm processor and dedicated chip for AoD could very well be a 3 day device in the larger sizes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

The ticwatch pro 3 is pretty close to a 5 day watch as long as I have lift to wake turned off.

Bullshit. For real? I get just short of 3 days with it on. But I mean it has to be either that or AoD, not tapping my watch to see whatever

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, pretty much. I mean I don't get a ton of notifications, so that's a factor. But lighting up that oled every time you move adds up. By that I mean AoD is off as well, relying on the overlay LCD for time/date/steps unless I interact with the watch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

lol the best galaxy watch 4 classic is gonna be 700 dollarydoos. gently caress that. saying this while wearing a Breitling worth 7 times that

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol the best galaxy watch 4 classic is gonna be 700 dollarydoos. gently caress that. saying this while wearing a Breitling worth 7 times that

Yeah, no - I didn't spend that much on my drat phone.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
Samsung broke embargo during their Unpacked keynote (as per usual):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAAGvRf0OU4

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Samsung Keynote is has been Watch 4 from the beginning (~12 minutes now) so worth a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7ixp-XwqGI

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Source?

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005

Len posted:

Source?

$349 according to the keynote 5 minutes ago:

(was too slow to get a clean capture of the whole slide, Samsung have disabled rewind/seeking in their livestream)

Google post up: https://blog.google/products/wear-os/galaxy-watch4/

Has a pre-order link (which is broken for me). EDIT: Links to this Samsung Press release

Seems like Wear OS 3's marketing name will be "Wear OS powered by Samsung", which sure puts the mid-2022 upgrade path for the TicWatch Pro 3 etc & Q4 Fossil's launching with Wear OS 2 in a new light. Looks like Google had to give a few backroom concessions to get Samsung onboard. Even the prominence of Samsung Health apps on the wearable seems to be a walk back from the messaging they were doing just around IO:

quote:

This also means the end of the road for Samsung's S-Health, although Samsung will allow S-Health data to be exported over into Google's Fit app. "Beloved Samsung services like Samsung Health will continue to be core to the Galaxy experience and available on Galaxy smartwatches. For the users who have enjoyed Samsung Health service, the service will continue on the new unified platform and data is exportable to the new unified platform. Samsung Health is not part of the new platform," Samsung confirmed via email.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-samsung-are-combining-to-reboot-android-watches-with-a-dose-of-fitbit-too/

(though tbh reading it back they are arguably doing what they said they'll do since the Samsung wearable health apps aren't called Samsung Health. Well played Samsung).

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 11, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought the watch.

Those assholes suckered me into getting the new buds too. Although the Buds Pro constantly fall out of my ears so maybe these new ones will be better! :shepface:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah I pre-ordered the watch 4. Supposedly will offer me $100 for my lovely fossil sport that I might ha E only paid $100 for 2 years ago. Not holding my breath on that. Trying to find out what to dump this $50 of Samsung credit on now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
For anyone else looking to buy one, Best Buy is offering the same $50 gift card as Samsung but obviously a BB card is easier to spend for most of us. Downside of course is you don't get the selection of bands, instead you just get whatever the default is for the body you choose.

A black 42mm Classic LTE will be waiting for me in a few weeks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Vagrancy posted:

https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/google-samsung-are-combining-to-reboot-android-watches-with-a-dose-of-fitbit-too/

(though tbh reading it back they are arguably doing what they said they'll do since the Samsung wearable health apps aren't called Samsung Health. Well played Samsung).
What's the point of the Fitbit app on a smartwatch, when it doesn't use the watches sensors for anything?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, Samsung is giving $100 for a Fossil watch trade in. That's great actually. I may actually pick up more than one watch and trade in my Fossil Sport which is just about useless.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does anyone know if I cancel my preorder and place it again to get a different type of watch will I get the offer for the $50 off an accessory again? I kinda want to upgrade to the LTE version but I won't bother if I lose the $50 coupon.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

explosivo posted:

Does anyone know if I cancel my preorder and place it again to get a different type of watch will I get the offer for the $50 off an accessory again? I kinda want to upgrade to the LTE version but I won't bother if I lose the $50 coupon.

You will. I've already canceled my order once unnecessarily and redid it.

What I did notice is that the number of available accessories to purchase is dwindling though.

The product configurator is annoying in that it doesn't really specify when you are going to get charged extra for a band choice until checkout. The clue is if it asks for the size of band you want, it's an add on.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 11, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

bull3964 posted:

You will. I've already canceled my order once unnecessarily and redid it.

What I did notice is that the number of available accessories to purchase is dwindling though.

The product configurator is annoying in that it doesn't really specify when you are going to get charged extra for a band choice until checkout. The clue is if it asks for the size of band you want, it's an add on.

:tipshat:
Thank ya!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the reason why I can cancelled and redid was the drat band thing. I made my order with a band, didn't realize till checkout that I was going to get charged for the band, removed it from the cart. But then I was worried that I didn't have a size selection for the band anymore and thought my order might be bad. No, the 'pack in' configurations must have both size options but if your order any of the other bands you select the size.

I am annoyed though that due to the interchangeability of the bands they have here that they are all 20mm. I have an assload of 22mm bands that will now not work with this watch apparently. I really would have thought that the larger case Classic model would be 22mm.

I'm really thinking about just doing a clearinghouse of every watch I can possibly trade in because a NIB Watch 4 is going to be infinitely more valuable than a old fossil sitting in a drawer.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Anyone know the band size for the watch4?

edit: just saw the previous post. Thanks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I preordered the normal one cause they're giving me $150 for the Active 2, makes it pretty easy to go for even though I've been plenty happy with it and not really bothered about updating

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

sourdough posted:

I preordered the normal one cause they're giving me $150 for the Active 2, makes it pretty easy to go for even though I've been plenty happy with it and not really bothered about updating

Same here. Just having better Google integration should be worth the upgrade.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does the Watch 4 allow any Wear OS apps like Keep, Google Maps, Google Pay? I use a Pixel 4a and I'm hoping that the watch will have good integration with the apps on my phone. I tried a Galaxy watch before but being forced to use Samsung apps, which I didn't use on my phone, significantly reduced the functionality of the watch so I returned it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It has access to the Google Play store and the showed maps running.

That said, there has been conflicting information as to whether or not Google Assistant is going to work right out of the box and I don't think anyone knows if you can set Google Pay as the default pay provider vs Samsung Pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Do the Samsung trade-in program usually stick around? I have a Fossil Sport that is not very responsive anymore (not that it was super fast to begin with, but it's gotten much worse).