Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Dave posted:

Lazy people aren’t going to carry around more than their base tools and they sure as poo poo aren’t going to leave the job to buy that bit unless they figure out how to gain money or time from it.

Jig saw should really be part of a (decent) contractor's base tool set though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Any light fixture or fan you put there will 100% cover up those rough edges.

Yup, that's the only reason I'm not mad about it. I mean, disappointed that they're doing such shoddy work, and wondering what else they're doing half-assed that I haven't caught, but if I thought this was going to be visible I'd have been on their rear end.

Mainly wanted to post to share the :wtf:

Sirotan posted:

Jig saw should really be part of a (decent) contractor's base tool set though.

This is what bugs me... they knew they were here to do ceiling work. I could go over to LowesDepot and be back in 20 minutes with a usable jigsaw for less than $100. Hell, there's one for $30 in stock that would probably last long enough to do the cuts they needed for this job, and would have saved them the 10 minutes per hole of loving around with the miter saw.

Pretty sure this crew is a sub, so I dunno. But all the other tools they've been using were out of Makita boxes, so it's not like they're working on bottom dollar equipment :shrug:

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 11, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've never owned a fridge with an ice maker or water dispenser, and don't really get why integrated ones are worth it. They seem to cause no end of trouble and perfectly good, cheap alternatives are available as independent products.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

pointsofdata posted:

I've never owned a fridge with an ice maker or water dispenser, and don't really get why integrated ones are worth it. They seem to cause no end of trouble and perfectly good, cheap alternatives are available as independent products.

I'll take a fridge dispenser over a brita pitcher any day. A million times more convenient.

People hate on ice makers, but I haven't had one fail yet. I'm not a fan of the ice dispensers, but ice makers are nice.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad my tap water tastes as good as filtered so I just don't have to bother.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
We inherited a fridge with an ice and water dispenser and it's nice and convenient but I could live without it.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Source4Leko posted:

I'm glad my tap water tastes as good as filtered so I just don't have to bother.

It's about the cold, not the filtration for me.

We went a few years without ice and water in our fridge after having it, and noticed it missing.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

We inherited a fridge with an ice and water dispenser and it's nice and convenient but I could live without it.

:hmmyes:

I just replaced our filter and I gotta say the water dispenser is pretty drat handy. Ice maker/dispenser, meh, I don't generally use ice that much, mostly cocktails, and then I'll usually have the larger square ones from a silicone mold cause they look cool.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My ice melts into a blob after a few weeks of opening and closing the door because I don't use as much as it makes.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

FogHelmut posted:

My ice melts into a blob after a few weeks of opening and closing the door because I don't use as much as it makes.

Same here man, it's ok though. I turn the maker on then when it gets full ish i'll switch it off, and that's enough ice for many weeks or months for me. I'll pound the blobs with my fists every once in a while to keep it moving.

I really like having an icemaker and water dispenser :) my tap water is fine, but the fridge stuff is cold right away. I do think it's turbo dumb that people in cities with fine tap water have misconceptions about its safety or cleanliness, I consider that a red flag in friends. It's almost conspiratorial.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
lmaoooooooo they're doing it again. Literally cut, slide piece 1/8", cut, slide piece 1/8", cut, etc.... I'd post a picture but I don't want to be creepy. I feel bad enough watching and laughing at them...

also forgot the other part, they are also using the miter saw blade to smooth the inevitable jagged edges left behind by this method. So they just slide the board across the spinning blade like it was a sanding disc or something.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Sounds like a pretty major OSHA violation, but whaddya gonna do?

EDIT: I like the water dispenser because if I need water at night it makes less noise than opening the fridge and getting some other drink, and is much colder than the tap.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The price of copper had finally caused me to invest in pex tooling, for reasons related to water dispenser chat:

Our house is on a well, and while it is in the county the neighborhood is an enclave holdout that has resisted annexation so far. The city used to let folks connect to municipal water if folks agreed to not vote against annexation, a deal which expired in 2012. Now anyone who isn't already connected (me, thanks p.o.) has to apply to get annexed before any services will get connected (we are on a community sewer system, separate from the city, so at least no septic to deal with).

Anyhow all that backstory is to explain why I dropped 4k on whole house carbon filter, calcite filter (acidic water), and a softener (slightly hard water made harder by the calcite) which is less than the cost of city taxes for two years (not even counting the actual water bills).

Also, the one inspection we didn't get before purchase looks like it may be the cause of our phantom leak (wet interior wall, dry attic). If you guessed "chimney" you'd ve right (we think).

Do never buy!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Not that what they did was wrong since the fixture will cover it,

Except it _IS_ wrong. All contracts imply or explicitly specify for things to be done in a workmanlike manner. This is far from that mark.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Motronic posted:

Except it _IS_ wrong. All contracts imply or explicitly specify for things to be done in a workmanlike manner. This is far from that mark.

I gotta say I agree with Motronic here... as usual. I would be pissed if I had a contract that specified that, pissed enough where I would get over the social anxiety around bringing it up with my GC and would bitch about it. To me it implies they may cut corners in other areas.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m wondering why the gently caress they don’t have the right tool. I’d be concerned about the quality of everything else they’re doing if they can’t be bothered to have the right tool for a basic task like cutting a circular hole.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

I mean, a 4 & 3/8" hole saw is only about $40 and that's the retail cost, I'm sure a contractor can get better prices through one of their suppliers.

EDIT: Finding one that's of the actual diameter you want may adjust the price +/- $5 but that's the general cost for a cheap hole saw and I can guarantee you it would get the job done faster than whatever they did.

Not that what they did was wrong since the fixture will cover it, but yeah there are tools for that (as long as you also have a good drill to run it and can handle the jolting that will happen as the bit breaks through the ceiling materials).

What is a forum if not for pedantic posts so here's mine.

Jigsaw is the right tool here. The boards are individual pieces, so none of them will be a clean one cut like if this was a sheet of something. The first two pics span two boards, so it would be difficult and dangerous to try to cut with a hole saw and I doubt they could hang over and get it drilled in place.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Jigsaw is the right tool here. The boards are individual pieces, so none of them will be a clean one cut like if this was a sheet of something. The first two pics span two boards, so it would be difficult and dangerous to try to cut with a hole saw and I doubt they could hang over and get it drilled in place.

But at least now we know why they didn't want to use actual beadboard in the first place: they never have before and have no idea what they're doing.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Theoretically they've done this before... once, at least. They did show me one picture of what they claimed was another customer. That said, I'm also pretty sure this crew is a sub, so who knows if these guys in particular have ever done this or not.

I mean yeah, I'm laughing, but I am definitely annoyed that they're doing BS like this. But in the scheme of things, while I know it's kind of indicative of overall quality, as long as it gets done and isn't visible I'm willing to look the other way. In any case, the guy gets super defensive when it comes to anything that might even hint at rework, so considering all the labor it'd take to fix, I give him at best a 10% chance of admitting that it's wrong. So unfortunately ratting out his crew really isn't going to do much but antagonize him (which would be fun if this were closer to being finished).

And to even get the beadboard I had to bitch at him and argue about what we asked for versus what he meant in his quote, and he maintained that the word "beadboard" only ever means the 4x8 plywood sheets, regardless of any other qualifiers (e.g. "solid wood" or "tongue and groove"). But he eventually stopped by with a sample later that day, and after asking what the price was going to be he threw out $450 as a "fair price" (so $2,500 out the door as an upgrade from vinyl). Not sure what got him to come down so far... dunno if that was a "just shut the gently caress up already" price, or if he chatted with some people at the lumber supply and got an earful from people who know better. I'm hoping the latter, but I know I'll never find out. (edit: for those not following along at home, he previously wanted $1,700 for the solid wood T&G planks, which was on top of the $2,000 he was already charging us for "beadboard").

The really annoying part is now that I know how this guy works, I have a small GC project his, uh, "talent" would be more suited to. but lol if I'm going to give him any more business after this project...

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 11, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

StormDrain posted:

These three pics?

Those are clearly panels of wood with cosmetic grooves cut into them (or maybe formed/pressed depending on manufacturing method). There even appears to be a tongue-and-groove joint where the panels meet up.

I missed the part where they were cutting the opening prior to hanging the panels. If they were cutting holes through already-mounted panels the holes saw would be fine though (because the joint between panels is never in the center of the hole where the drill bit would go through to act as a guide for the hole saw as they pushed against it).

A good multiple sawhorse setup where they had the panels held together on the sawhorses with F-clamps at the ends to keep the panels from rotating/sliding would also allow them to do this prior to hanging the panels, though (if someone was willing to push up from the floor with the hole saw--just have to tape the opposite side so that it doesn't splinter to poo poo when the hole-saw breaks through).

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 11, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That's the spirit!

You absolutely can rig up a way to holesaw them, which provides a drat good circular hole.

Since the electrical boxes and cans are installed already, I strongly recommend against in situ cuts. The pilot can hit the box and the saw can snag wires, and centering it will be a challenge.

Or just jigsaw it, and have a fine quality radius cut. You can use the jigsaw for other parts of the job too, and as a professional carpenter they should have one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I would have gifted this to the project, I only needed to use it once to blast a vent hole out of my garage. :newlol:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
^^^If it wasn't hardwood they could use one of these fancy versions of the same type of tool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-2-in-to-7-in-Adjustable-Hole-Saw-Cutter-49-56-0320/205744284

The OP's posts read like they had a jigsaw, and were just really poo poo at using it (or it broke at some point during the process and they resorted to using a circular saw?).

This part is loving my "holy poo poo don't do that" response up:

DaveSauce posted:

they are also using the miter saw blade to smooth the inevitable jagged edges left behind by this method. So they just slide the board across the spinning blade like it was a sanding disc or something.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Slightly late to ice dispenser chat, but any time I get a chance to buy a fridge, it'll have one. A major contributor to us buying this house versus one very similar was that this fridge was bigger and had an ice dispenser. After renting houses or apartments for years without them, it's so disappointing to go to fill up your water bottle and find that it's gonna be lukewarm. I go through ice water like a man in the desert, and spend a lot of my weekends outdoors in hot climates, so I fill up my giant hydroflask with ice and top it off with water so it'll stay cool all day. The last few places I rented, so much freezer real estate went to ice trays, and it was never enough. Having parties meant dragging out the cooler so there was enough ice for everyone.

So I guess it matters whether you prefer your drinks cold or tepid. Warm water is a hard sell for me. Of course, I live in a hot area, so that may be part of it. I'm agnostic on water purifiers since our tap tastes good and is safe to drink.

Also, OMG DaveSauce's contractors. That's...uh...some Lucky slipping in peepee at the Costco stuff right there.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The OP's posts read like they had a jigsaw, and were just really poo poo at using it (or it broke at some point during the process and they resorted to using a circular saw?).

lmao nope

they literally used a miter saw. Not a jigsaw. Not a circular saw. Not even a sawzall (though I know they have one somewhere).

A loving miter saw.

Functionally freehand, because they held the plank with one hand while they ran the saw with the other. Edge of the board was on the table, but nothing was stabilized anywhere... dude's just holding a 16' board with his hand and cutting away.

See now I wish I had taken a picture.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DaveSauce posted:

lmao nope

they literally used a miter saw. Not a jigsaw. Not a circular saw. Not even a sawzall (though I know they have one somewhere).

A loving miter saw.

Functionally freehand, because they held the plank with one hand while they ran the saw with the other. Edge of the board was on the table, but nothing was stabilized anywhere... dude's just holding a 16' board with his hand and cutting away.

See now I wish I had taken a picture.

You really need to like......not be so passive. This is why you watch contractors doing work on your poo poo.

"Not only is that really unsafe but it's lovely work. Stop now. Where is your supervisor? I can't have this kind of poo poo happening on my property."

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Motronic posted:

You really need to like......not be so passive. This is why you watch contractors doing work on your poo poo.

"Not only is that really unsafe but it's lovely work. Stop now. Where is your supervisor? I can't have this kind of poo poo happening on my property."

Yeah I got used to the previous crews doing good enough work that I didn't have to really babysit them much. It's only been the last 2 days that this finish/trim crew has been doing really sketchy poo poo (edit: that I've seen...).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 12, 2021

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

can someone tell me about their experiences going to war with rats whove had run of a place? i like the home well enough to cut down the walnut trees and dig in but i have zero experience with them.

its a century old with no insulation in or caps on the interior walls- attic, crawlspace; under porch all active.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

How bad/expensive would it be to repair a gouge left in drywall by a furniture company's delivery service? I had some dressers delivered today and just noticed this awful dent at the bottom of the stairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Saucer Hovers posted:

can someone tell me about their experiences going to war with rats whove had run of a place? i like the home well enough to cut down the walnut trees and dig in but i have zero experience with them.

its a century old with no insulation in or caps on the interior walls- attic, crawlspace; under porch all active.

If you have to ask here you have to find the best exterminators in town. There is not a single thing to do that will fix this. "Integrated Pest Management" is how it's done now. This is a combination of chemical, physical barriers (finding where they're getting in our could get in, fixing and patching) and environmental (remove what's attracting them).

A professional who does this in your specific area is going to know a lot more about what works or does not work right there with your kind of home construction, landscape, pest pressure, etc than any answer you're likely to find online.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Insurrectum posted:

How bad/expensive would it be to repair a gouge left in drywall by a furniture company's delivery service? I had some dressers delivered today and just noticed this awful dent at the bottom of the stairs.

Ouch. That's a pretty easy patch and I assume you have nothing. Pop down to the home improvement store, grab a 5" drywall knife, a small pail of drywall mud, and start youtubing.

It's such a common repair it's not worth me writing a bunch. There's probably 1000 videos on it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i hear you and yes its the perfect advice, even if i am forced to hear it in offerman voice

however i mean what i said im looking for war stories even if the details wont track to my specific circumstances. might be that isnt what this thread is for

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

seek help

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

i hear you and yes its the perfect advice, even if i am forced to hear it in offerman voice

however i mean what i said im looking for war stories even if the details wont track to my specific circumstances. might be that isnt what this thread is for

If you want war stories post your general location. Pest problems are not all the same. They are very environment and construction type dependent.

But knowing this place, and hearing rats.......you're in the bay area.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

If you want war stories post your general location. Pest problems are not all the same. They are very environment and construction type dependent.

But knowing this place, and hearing rats.......you're in the bay area.

Portland, urban bleeding into suburban, a couple blocks from a large grocery store, several apartment complex dumpster nexuses on the block, many...many walnut trees.

lol @ the bay 4eva

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That'll do er too. You don't have enough hard freezes to control the population.

But yeah.......maybe you get some war stories. But your in an area with food. You need to make sure you home is not the easiest place to get into. You will not get rid of the population on your property because it is roaming with ample food and shelter. This is more of a construction/maintenance exercise. You will not be effective at population control.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

StormDrain posted:

Ouch. That's a pretty easy patch and I assume you have nothing. Pop down to the home improvement store, grab a 5" drywall knife, a small pail of drywall mud, and start youtubing.

It's such a common repair it's not worth me writing a bunch. There's probably 1000 videos on it.

Isn't this so small that he can literally fill in the gouges with mud/spackle, sand, and repaint? Does he really need to cut out drywall and patch with mud for this?

I have never filled / spackled drywall but I need to fill in some similar gouges at some point, including a couple scuffed corner beads.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Edit: already figured it out.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 12, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Inner Light posted:

Isn't this so small that he can literally fill in the gouges with mud/spackle, sand, and repaint? Does he really need to cut out drywall and patch with mud for this?

I have never filled / spackled drywall but I need to fill in some similar gouges at some point, including a couple scuffed corner beads.

Yeah that's what I meant. I probably confused you with the knife part. Drywall taping tools are called knifes. I like a 5" for general spreading.

I have a bag of dry hot mud to mix on demand that I use and prefer over spackle. Saves a trip to the store since spackle is usually dried out when I need it. I do use spackle when I'm prepping a room for filling nail holes and little dings.

You tricked me into writing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Portland, urban bleeding into suburban, a couple blocks from a large grocery store, several apartment complex dumpster nexuses on the block, many...many walnut trees.

lol @ the bay 4eva

I live in SoCal, there are rats everywhere. My father-in-law hired an exterminator to get rid of the rats in his attic. Rats have eaten almost all of my tomatoes outside this year. I put out snap traps around the garden bed and stacked some bricks around them to keep the dog and kids out. I've caught 5 rats so far - averaging about one or so per week.

I check the traps every morning. I missed a day once and I had a rat and it was already covered in maggots. Another rat, I didn't check until the afternoon, and it was covered in fly eggs. Bugs don't gently caress around.

No rats in the house, but when I was in college our disgusting college house was full of mice. I caught 7 mice in the first three days. I think I posted a thread about it in 2004 or 2005.