Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

.random
May 7, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

[authority: difficult] hate newspapers

[⋮ ⋮][⋮ ⋮]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Palpek posted:

Exploring was fine in Fallout 4, the part that ruined it was this:

By which I don't mean this dialogue in particular but all of the dialogue everywhere. At one point some conversation was so dumb that I quit the game and uninstalled.
I used a mod that changed all the text responses to show the actual full sentences that your character will say. Made it marginally better and put in a shitload of hours but was glad to be done with the whole main/DLC once it was finally over with.

FO1/FO2 supremacy though. Series is basically dead until they hand it off to a non-lazy studio again and finally switch out their godawful engine.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dackel posted:

Coincidentally Library of Ruina just came on gamepass for PC

Apparently not for Australia, can't be seen on the store unless I use a browser and force it to en-us. Noice.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i am extremely wary of anyone who comes recommending fallout 76

If you just wanna wander around a video game space doing shooty bits with Fallout weapons, I think 76 is perfectly serviceable and will give you a bunch of that for like $10-20. If you want to actually engage with the various MMO and end-game style systems and the house building, I think all that poo poo is terrible.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Fallout 76 seemed weirdly hard for the couple hours I played but maybe it's just the old "you wandered into the wrong neighborhood" thing that happens with most MMOs. It did seem easy to draw a huge crowd of mobs or go somewhere that someone cleared out and have a bunch of things respawn on you, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011

zachol posted:

Fallout 76 seemed weirdly hard for the couple hours I played but maybe it's just the old "you wandered into the wrong neighborhood" thing that happens with most MMOs. It did seem easy to draw a huge crowd of mobs or go somewhere that someone cleared out and have a bunch of things respawn on you, though.

Yeah they made the semi-odd choice to go back to areas having set level ranges in 76 so you're very capable of wandering one hill too far and eating poo poo.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

v1ld posted:

:10bux: and plenty of mods seems like a good time to pick up FO4. The Horizon mod mentioned above seems pretty good too - any other overhauls worth looking at? Or mod lists like Viva New Vegas or its like for other Beth games that'd be good for tightening up the game and making it more challenging?

E: "Fallout 4 will now detect your video card" in a generic-looking window sure brings that old school video game install vibe. "Your video card is unknown and everything is set to Very Low Quality" then drives it home.

Found the FO4 modding thread, yay.

Could you drop a link to that thread? I've gone back like 15 pages and I really don't see it.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

zachol posted:

It's like a lot of Bethesda games that start off a bit hard since you have bad stuff and no build/skills but after a while you end up an insane wasteland terminator soloing entire buildings full of mutants with ease.

Orv posted:

If you just wanna wander around a video game space doing shooty bits with Fallout weapons, I think 76 is perfectly serviceable and will give you a bunch of that for like $10-20. If you want to actually engage with the various MMO and end-game style systems and the house building, I think all that poo poo is terrible.

Hard disagree. I think the camp building is a lot of fun and really useful. Having a 'home base' that is all your own really helps attach you to the world. Also, a lot of the end-game stuff is pretty fun and chill and you can honestly become more than adequate at doing it without a huge grind BUT if you are the kind who absolutely has to min/max everything the grind is there if you want it.

Honestly I gave Fallout 76 a try a few months ago for like $10 having never played it before and I had a great time. The community was great and friendly and the map was really fun and interesting to explore. I loved the emphasis on crafting, group content was fairly fun, and I really liked the perks/cards system towards creating a build. There is a ton of PvE content, a lot of interesting NPCs and quests, and in general a whole lot of 'stuff' to sink your teeth into.

I read about the disaster it was at launch but that certainly wasn't my experience a couple of months ago. FWIW I enjoyed it a lot more than I did FO3 or FO4 and I mostly played single player aside from doing grouping dailies and such.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 11, 2021

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Could you drop a link to that thread? I've gone back like 15 pages and I really don't see it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

I went ahead and bought it, I mean, it's ten bucks. Thanks for indulging me in my worm can opening, y'all.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OzFactor posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779393

I went ahead and bought it, I mean, it's ten bucks. Thanks for indulging me in my worm can opening, y'all.

Thanks! I’ll dig Into this later.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
On top of what else has been said, the Fallout 4 DLCs are worth the price of admission. Nuka World is very uneven, but the robot one is fun little side story with a neat gimmick and Far Harbor is the content that even people who hate F4 say is pretty dang good.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Yeah looks like the difference between FO4 and the GOTY is only $2, Far Harbor is definitely worth that.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Just about to try it! I read some reviews about it last night and it looks promising. I think it's going to depend on how seriously it tries to take itself with its premise (if I understand, it's about a group of friends going up to party in a creepy, inaccessible cabin to celebrate the anniversary of... some of their other friends mysteriously disappearing in the same area?) It seems fun.

Based just on the demo I've played, I have high hopes for Detroit: Become Human. I love pretty much everything derived from "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", but it seems more serious so it's really going to live or die by the quality of its writing and storytelling.

I'm saving Obra Djinn for last because I think it's going to be a slam dunk.

Very late to the discussion, but I’d add The Witness as a slightly different type of recommendation. No real narrative, but it’s great for two people to play together to try to solve the puzzles while just one of them uses the controller. Some of the last puzzles had us drawing out grids on paper and spending ages working with them to try to figure out solutions.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Black Griffon posted:

Is this Library of Ruina thing as good as the overwhelmingly positive reactions promise? And should I have played Lobotomy Corporation beforehand (which I've heard is good, if nothing else)?

They're completely different games and genres but yeah the stories are pretty heavily intertwined. Also I am NEVER the guy who recommends watching a Let's Play over just playing a game but I will say that while Lobotomy Corp has really cool mechanics and a great story, it's also got a lot of punishing trial and error mechanics to it, and while I recommend playing it I think at least watching someone else suffer through it is the next best thing if you don't want to do it yourself.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I had no trouble following the plot of Library of Ruina and did not enjoy Lobotomy Corp at all when I tried to play it. Library of Ruina does give you like... what seems to be the whole goddamn plot of Lobotomy Corp over the course of it, but does so in a way that's weaved organically in to the Ruina story so if you didn't already know there was a preceding game you'd just think it was a regular backstory.

p much Library of Ruina is a great game that works fine on its own, but you probably won't be as motivated to play through Lobotomy Corp if you already know how it ends. Especially so considering that even Library of Ruina, which I enjoyed the gameplay of a lot, I only finished because I wanted to see more of the fun and well written story content. If I hadn't, I probably would have dropped off like 90 minutes in to trying to find a character set up that would beat the R-Corp fight like 3/4ths through the game, and the difficulty only goes up on average from there :v: Imagining trying to beat a game with the same level of difficulty where each experimental attempt to do something requires hours of time (as I understand it? I might be wrong about how punishing LC is of failure) instead of 10 minutes per attempt sounds harrowing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

As Far As The Eye is a very interesting game. It's a time management strategy roguelite with gorgeous art and a really interesting conceit and it's also quite unfair. I bought it on sale last week despite the reviews being very vocal about one thing in particular - how much your survival depends on RNG.

Ah, one more thing to add for anybody picking this up through Humble. Resource harvesting is a multi-step procedure, and you don't actually get a resource until it finishes.

• A pupil goes to the gathering building (or caravan) and puts on the mask
  • They travel to the resource site
  • They spend three turns gathering, including the turn they get there. The Agile trait and building improvements can reduce this number. When gathering completes, resources are removed from the resource site.
  • They return to their point of origin, with 1 less movement point because they're carrying something
  • They drop off their gathered resources

If anything interrupts this - either your commands to do something else or vagaries like Nap or Malfunction that shut them or a building down for a turn - it has to begin from scratch. If something interrupts it while a pupil is carrying resources, those resources are lost.

This can skunk you real bad on the tutorials, which tend to not give you much extra for screwups, but it's no walk in the park when it happens during normal play either.

Also, all the building improvements like -1 harvest turn for the harvest huts and full recipes for the cookhouse and bakery are actually half cost or even cheaper for non-mobile buildings, so you're not leaving a whole lot behind.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I tried out Library of Ruina but I found it unplayable.

It creates but then never explains its own vocabulary for everything and then overloads you with dozens of tutorial text fragments in a row that point to different places on the UI saying things like "This is where you can burn your books" and "The battle icons you've collected can be engaged here" and "Here you can see the books you've gained and lost" and "click here to begin a reception" but it never gets around to explaining what words like "books" or "battle icons" are, or what burning books does or why you would want to until some unspecified point in the future that I gave up before I got to, and it only barely tells you that a "reception" is... whatever you do in the game, which you find out 40 tutorial screens later is a fairly standard deck builder battle.

The process of explaining that I can choose which enemy to block during the attacking phase was literally 4 tutorial screens long and filled with zero words that told me I could choose which enemy to block during the attacking phase.

That problem carries through into the dialog as well, and the game seems to be mostly focused around the dialog - except it read like complete gibberish to me because they were using real words to express ideas that are not at all attached to those words outside of this game and they could only vaguely be understood by context. And then the parts that did make sense all read in that stilted awkward translated anime phrasing like:

"Think of it like a compass."
"Hmmmm... a compass. Like the tool that tells you what direction it is? Hmm gosh. A compass."

Troubleshooter was the same way for me so maybe it's just a difficulty of translating Korean to English or something but :shrug: I'm not used to struggling to comprehend even poorly-translated words on a screen and this game was beyond my comprehension. I am also someone with near-zero experience with Korean media outside of maplestory so maybe there's just a lot of cultural context I am missing.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 11, 2021

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Might watch a Lobotomy Corp LP at the very least, thanks folks.

And speaking of Fallout 76! I downloaded it on gamepass and I've encountered maybe the dumbest bug I've ever encountered in a game that's supposed to have some kind of budget: If I alt-tab, it reduces fps to 10 from 60+, but it's 10 fps when I'm tabbed in and 60+ when I'm TABBED AWAY, WHAT THE gently caress.

??

Is there a fix for that?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So where does Elder Scrolls Online fall on the scale of Fallout NV --- Fallout 4 -- Fallout 76?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

ESO is a genuinely good game, like someone actually sat down and said "we're gonna make a story-heavy MMO that's not hosed in a way that almost seems intentional". So before 4, but obviously not approaching NV.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

lordfrikk posted:

So where does Elder Scrolls Online fall on the scale of Fallout NV --- Fallout 4 -- Fallout 76?

Between NV and whatever I guess. Questing is pretty darn good, combat is..well, it exists, but TES combat sucks rear end to begin with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

deep dish peat moss posted:

Troubleshooter was the same way for me so maybe it's just a difficulty of translating Korean to English or something but :shrug: I'm not used to struggling to comprehend even poorly-translated words on a screen and this game was beyond my comprehension. I am also someone with near-zero experience with Korean media outside of maplestory so maybe there's just a lot of cultural context I am missing.

This is how I felt reading the Steam page for the game. Read the whole thing and just couldn't get myself to understand what kind of game it was, or what it was about.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've played around 2 hours of Troubleshooter and it's like nu-XCOM with more combat mechanics and more talky bits in between (almost like a visual novel) . I guess "more" defines Troubleshooter quite well. It was pretty endearing and interesting.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

HopperUK posted:

This is how I felt reading the Steam page for the game. Read the whole thing and just couldn't get myself to understand what kind of game it was, or what it was about.

Yeah. For what's it worth, the game is better translated than the store page, though you still see the occasional Engrish here and there. It is essentially a JRPG (or KRPG?) Korean webcomic with nu-XCOM combat about mercenary magical vigilantes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lordfrikk posted:

It's a very solid game, particularly notable for basically being a single player ES game you can play that has a bunch of lengthy stories and solid sidequests - the people working on the game clearly have a very deep love for even the weirder niche side bits of the lore, which is frankly by far the more interesting parts than the generic dragons and goblins stuff.

On the downside the difficulty is preeeeeeety mindless, especially for overworld content (and with sufficient effort, even dungeons can be soloed), so I find it decent to pick up once in awhile to plow through a major storyline and a zone or two's sidequests, then put it down again.

I don't think any of the more mmo-y aspects are really worth engaging with at all, though ymmv of course. Thankfully while it has lots of silly mmo timesink mechanics, none of them are necessary for just enjoying the world and the stories.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I didn't hate ESO, I will say that I eventually got really tired of how flat and spammy the combat was. It got a tiny bit better when I looked at a build guide and made a more optimized build, but I always felt like I was locked into a very particular range of performance without many opportunities to pop off and just wreck something. Like I think I ended up in the unfortunate gap where normal content was a non-challenge, dungeons were a regular challenge, and then there was a forced mathematical gap where anything more advanced than dungeons was pretty much impossible to even think of doing solo.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 11, 2021

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Squiggle posted:

This looks awesome, I want it to have VR support

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW0V2RRL0ZI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Some major indie game updates, courtesy of Nintendo's Indie World presentation:

Axiom Verge 2 releases today (will be on EGS and Switch to start)

Boyfriend Dungeon releases today

Garden Story releases today

Necrobarista Directors Cut out today

Eastward releases September 16th

FAR: Changing Tides releases early 2022

Bomb Rush Cyberfunk releases in 2022

TOEM's release window confirmed for Fall

Metal Slug Tactics releases in 2022

Shovel Knight: Pocket Dungeon announced. A combination of dungeon crawler and Tetris puzzler. Releases this holiday, developed by Vine.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 11, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Axiom Verge 1 was pretty cool even though I'm pretty sure I got it for free somewhere and didn't buy it. (And I definitely didn't 100%, I think I missed almost half of the weapons!)
I'll throw Thomas Happ some bux for #2.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

Axiom Verge 2 releases today (will be on EGS and Switch to start)

PS4 as well

https://twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/1425490103049220104

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
This is neat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCKrMsRh5FA

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

holy poo poo how does it still look so loving amazing even right up close. that is insane

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What game is that?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it says in the Youtube title: The Ascent, that top-down twin stick shooter

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The question I have though is can you do combat entirely like this?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

I said come in! posted:

The question I have though is can you do combat entirely like this?

I think it's just a free camera mode, the camera is moving around not your character

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

addendum: Boyfriend Dungeon is also launching on Gamepass today

some launch prices:
Boyfriend Dungeon - $20
Garden Story - $20
Glitchpunk - $20
Library of Ruina (out of Early Access) - $30
Black Book - $25

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it says in the Youtube title: The Ascent, that top-down twin stick shooter

On mobile, I can't see the full title nor get it to take me to youtube.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

that is loving nuts. i oh so badly want a new vegas type game in this world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I would love to know what the dev teams plans are for the ascents future. I want to play more of that game but there is no reason to go back after you finish it. If they could meld a replayable dungeon looter ARPG with that world it would be... real nice. (or a CRPG but that would be disastrously ambitious for a 12 person team)