Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah literally any time theyre about to reach a guilty verdict ryuunosuke can literally argue with the jury forever until they agree with him while van zieks has to sit around with his dick in his hands. yet van zieks does not get to do the same if theyre about to reach an innocent verdict. its like an inverse of the pw1-3 situation where the defense is massively advantaged.

It works in the moment so it's not really a complaint, it's just funny if you sit around and think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The jury being able to jump in with a guilty verdict at any moment though just makes it so that this court system is even more stacked against the defense than any we've seen so far (especially since until Ryunosuke brought it back no one did the Summation Examination anyway lmao). So really it's just evening the playing field.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

The jury being able to jump in with a guilty verdict at any moment though just makes it so that this court system is even more stacked against the defense than any we've seen so far (especially since until Ryunosuke brought it back no one did the Summation Examination anyway lmao). So really it's just evening the playing field.

Technically they could jump in with an innocent verdict at any point too? I don't think they ever specified whether the prosecution has the right to perform a summation examination in that case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think there is one case where the jury is about to go 6-0 for not guilty and van Zieks goes "you fuckin idiots the defense's argument is full of holes and also here's some evidence disproving whatever you just said." I forget if he cuts in before or after the last juror pounds the desk, but functionally it's the same thing. I wanna say it's case 1-3 but I'm not sure.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spoilers for GAA case 3 - It does actually kindof make sense story-wise for the court to be less favourable to the prosecution than it was in other games. Van Zieks failed to prosecute over a dozen guilty defendants and The Reaper only really makes sense in a context where the courts aren't managing to convict criminals.

Now I'm wondering whether the lesson Ryuunosuke took from his British adventure was that the courts back home should be much more favourable to the prosecution

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It is rather funny how in 1-3 and 1-4 he presents barely any of the evidence gathered and the jury immediately moves for convicting. I haven't gotten started on 1-5 yet but the first two cases really portrays the game UK-court system as completely bankrupt.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

it's not just that, it's also how you do blatantly dirty plays like "well this experimental science here isn't actually admissible as evidence in any way nor even fully verified to be correct by mr sholmes but it sure is compelling, isn't it??" and the jury goes "by god my lord, he's right, continue the trial"

like franziska did literally this in 2-2 to influence the judge!

and yeah like endorph said this is in no way a complaint, it's just funny to think about it like this. i would be drinking on the bench too if i had to put up with this in court every day

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Amppelix posted:

oh don't get me wrong, van zieks is still an ace attorney prosecutor

it's just funny how many blatantly bullshit tactics ryunosuke pulls

At the same time though, he's also constantly getting royally screwed. He doesn't have access to actual information in the case, which usually is a precursor to even being put on trial, so he has to lean on lucky bullshit from an incredibly slim pool of testimony and evidence and with a judge who is constantly threatening to end the trial, requiring yet another longshot hail mary. It's a formula that works for the story, and really it's just as ludicrous both ways

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-3: ACAB except Gina :3:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

2-4 intro Hot drat, Mikotoba and the Judge looking crisp.

I’m really enjoying how absolutely insane things get in Resolve and I can’t wait to see how the final two cases play out.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There are a few points where the jury is 6-0 for innocent and the court case still continues while according to the laws it should end right there, so it's not like Summation Examination is stacking the deck too much in our favour.

Also GAA2-1 It really annoyed me how we didn't get a NOT GUILTY verdict after the culprit admitted to stabbing the victim. Sure, our friend had means and motive to use poison, but that is an entirely different case and the prosecution's original case had just been proven to be bunk

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, but by that point we had proven she hadn't died by a stab and we were still on trial for her murder, not another attempted murder.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, but by that point we had proven she hadn't died by a stab and we were still on trial for her murder, not another attempted murder.

That is my point, why were we still on trial for her murder? Literally no evidence and no witnesses pointed to our friend having done the poisoning, there was no case

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think the main point in that idea was that Rei was one of the only people with access to the poison

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ymgve posted:

Also GAA2-1 It really annoyed me how we didn't get a NOT GUILTY verdict after the culprit admitted to stabbing the victim. Sure, our friend had means and motive to use poison, but that is an entirely different case and the prosecution's original case had just been proven to be bunk
i know this is the boring answer, but the answer to this and all other "why didn't the case end here" questions is simply that ace attorney is a detective mystery series and the case doesn't end until you solve the mystery.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Amppelix posted:

and yeah like endorph said this is in no way a complaint, it's just funny to think about it like this. i would be drinking on the bench too if i had to put up with this in court every day
i would like to thank whichever animator was in charge of van Ziek's "pissed off stare" animation, because it really does convey impotent frustration perfectly. You can just hear him going "oh, for fucks sake" every time. :allears:

ymgve posted:

That is my point, why were we still on trial for her murder? Literally no evidence and no witnesses pointed to our friend having done the poisoning, there was no case
remember, the tutorial takes place in the Japanese court system, not the British one. You cant get a not guilty over something as small as "not enough conclusive evidence", you have to prove someone else did it! The trial cant end unless someone is sentenced to jail, after all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They take basically as many liberties as they need to with the justice system to improve the story. Obviously this is not an accurate representation of the Japanese justice system, neither the modern one nor during the time period in question.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Yo, Zero Punctuation reviewed this game.

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/the-great-ace-attorney-chronicles-zero-punctuation/

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's a prominent release and it's just about the only thing The Escapist does anymore, of course he did.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a prominent release and it's just about the only thing The Escapist does anymore, of course he did.

He's basically Atlas holding up the entire website on his shoulders at this stage.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G2-1, very early on
... is the professor talking to himself here? :thunk:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

I watched it out of curiosity and I don’t think his take is particularly interesting. And for a game that is about story and characters, his review barely says anything about either.

I also take issue with him harping on how the protags of these series generally just ‘believe in their client’ when one of Ryunosuke’s key character bits in Adventures is that he’s struggling with that. I think you could apply that criticism to other games in the series, but not so much here

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well, just finished 1-3 now.

The one major bone I have to pick is how few breakdowns there have been so far. Only one so far has ended with something in line with what we’ve come to expect from the series. Do they start getting fantastically over the top again?

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Regalingualius posted:

Well, just finished 1-3 now.

The one major bone I have to pick is how few breakdowns there have been so far. Only one so far has ended with something in line with what we’ve come to expect from the series. Do they start getting fantastically over the top again?

having just completed GAA2 last night, i can safely say: yup.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Amppelix posted:

i know this is the boring answer, but the answer to this and all other "why didn't the case end here" questions is simply that ace attorney is a detective mystery series and the case doesn't end until you solve the mystery.

But 1-3.... :(

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Spoilers for GAA case 3 - It does actually kindof make sense story-wise for the court to be less favourable to the prosecution than it was in other games. Van Zieks failed to prosecute over a dozen guilty defendants and The Reaper only really makes sense in a context where the courts aren't managing to convict criminals.

Now I'm wondering whether the lesson Ryuunosuke took from his British adventure was that the courts back home should be much more favourable to the prosecution

Ryunosuke: alright first up: none of this jury poo poo, "bluh bluh look at me im a juror the defendant is guilty because i heard half a testimony duhhh"

e: also i finished 2-5 and I was [2-5 spoilers obviously]technically 3/4 right about the professor being stronghart

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Aug 12, 2021

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Well someone's gotta go to jail

e:

Amppelix posted:

i saw someone saying this on twitter and they're so right i have to share it here: GAA totally reverses the usual prosecution/defence dynamic of the series if you think about it for a bit and it's really funny. like, ryunosuke is constantly getting away with the flimsiest arguments in the world, or presenting completely unsubstantiated evidence made by sholmes' latest invention, or just using some other completely bullshit tactics to convince the jury to continue the trial by any means and all van zieks is doing in response is going "look i'm pretty sure the evidence still says this guy did it"

it doesn't feel like that in the moment because of how the game frames the arguments, van zieks' incredible rudeness and the defence's eternal underdog status in this series but this is like a total reversal of how usually in the main series the prosecution can say absolutely anything and get the judge on their side instantly no matter how nonsense or irrelevant it is

tbf sholmes' bullshit inventions are explicitly Not Allowed as real evidence for the most part

you're correct though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 12, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol at the reveal of the nickname at the start of 1-4

No we don't call him that because he wins all his cases. That's dumb. You're dumb. How would that even work no one can always win.
We call him that because he uses black magic.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Just finished up case 1-3 myself. I'm glad this is two games because I feel very so like I'm still in the opening act here. Not really sure where that Stronghart guy is going with this seeing as he assigned a foreign dude with a little over a month of legal study to his name as barrister to Wilson Fisk but either the over arching plot will deal with it or I can assume that was an attempt to secure a guilty verdict. Not that I'm even sure Mcguilded did it seeing as they never wandered into a motive for the super loan shark with spotless public image to personally bump off the guy he's supposed to be squeezing in a abundantly public space.

That aside, can I say I'm a bit shocked at how... focused the judges here have been? No odd tangents or flights of fancy, somewhat resistant to casual manipulation... Though I guess Santa Judge has the jury to pour on the goofy for him.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Caidin posted:

That aside, can I say I'm a bit shocked at how... focused the judges here have been? No odd tangents or flights of fancy, somewhat resistant to casual manipulation...

That's pretty much what the jury is for, leaving the judge to mostly just serve his function as enforcer of ordaaarrrr in this one. Meanwhile the jury are like magpies jumping on every shiny piece of half-evidence presented.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

G2-1, very early on
... is the professor talking to himself here? :thunk:

That's just an amusing quirk of the text history regarding unattributed 'inner thought'/exposition dialogue; you can see there's an extra blank spacer line where the lack-of-name is. I noticed that too and got really confused until I puzzled it out later :v:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

That's just an amusing quirk of the text history regarding unattributed 'inner thought'/exposition dialogue; you can see there's an extra blank spacer line where the lack-of-name is. I noticed that too and got really confused until I puzzled it out later :v:

Yeah I think originally that would've been light blue and in parentheses to show that it is internal dialogue.

I guess I don't really pay enough attention, but if I'm in the ship and just finished the Sholmes thing where we proved the friend was a cat and the cat's bell was in Pavlova's cabin, what case is that? I would think it would be 2 dash something since I already did the first case but then I see people citing 1-3 and stuff and I don't recognize what they're talking about.

Also to start with I really didn't like and was super annoyed by Sholmes. But I'm actually starting to enjoy what they did with that character, he's seems to become less of a dumb cliche as you go along.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Regy Rusty posted:

It's basically if twitter were making judicial decisions. Terrifying

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Play posted:

Yeah I think originally that would've been light blue and in parentheses to show that it is internal dialogue.

I guess I don't really pay enough attention, but if I'm in the ship and just finished the Sholmes thing where we proved the friend was a cat and the cat's bell was in Pavlova's cabin, what case is that? I would think it would be 2 dash something since I already did the first case but then I see people citing 1-3 and stuff and I don't recognize what they're talking about.

Also to start with I really didn't like and was super annoyed by Sholmes. But I'm actually starting to enjoy what they did with that character, he's seems to become less of a dumb cliche as you go along.

That's case 1-2.

My impression of Holmes went very fast from "they're doing the trite dumb Holmes subversion :ughh:" to "that's just Holmes pretending to be dumb, nevermind".

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Play posted:

People refer to cases by "(game)-(case)", so 1-3 would be game one, case three. You're still on 1-2.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Play posted:

ship and just finished the Sholmes thing where we proved the friend was a cat and the cat's bell was in Pavlova's cabin, what case is that?

Pavlova's bell oh my god :doh:
I swear I am missing like all the pun names in this game, except for the really really obvious ones. They've really upped the ante with their cleverness, like the [1-5] Skulkin Bros. names.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

NRVNQSR posted:

People refer to cases by "(game)-(case)", so 1-3 would be game one, case three. You're still on 1-2.

Ah, got it I was thinking the second number was the phase of the case rather than the case itself thank you

I really love this game but it takes a long time to play and I can only take so much at a time before I get tired of clicking pressing A a million times in a row. Still everything about them is solid enough that I do think I will finish the game eventually

Pavlova's bell oh my god :doh:
I swear I am missing like all the pun names in this game, except for the really really obvious ones. They've really upped the ante with their cleverness, like the [1-5] Skulkin Bros. names.

lol yeah I actually only noticed that one when Sholmes accused her of having a trained snake lmao

Play fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 12, 2021

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Omobono posted:

That's case 1-2.

My impression of Holmes went very fast from "they're doing the trite dumb Holmes subversion :ughh:" to "that's just Holmes pretending to be dumb, nevermind".

2-5 I had my suspicions, but the final deduction with Mikotoba was what finally convinced me that Sholmes has just been trolling Ryunosuke for the past year.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

... but the next line is him replying to it. If it's inner dialogue, whose is it? And how did he hear it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

... but the next line is him replying to it. If it's inner dialogue, whose is it? And how did he hear it?

Well then that seems to be The Case of the Missing Susato Attribution :v: