Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

When can I volunteer for the roving gangs of vaccine hunters so I can tag anti-vaxxers with a 6" dart chock full of Moderna

Yes I stole that from the tweet smdftb Ontario is still the dumbest province that wants to use totally safe and secure PDFs as a vaccine passport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Perhaps "encouraging" vaccination was the wrong approach.

I seem to remember being absolutely required to have certain vaccinations before I was allowed to return to school in the early 2000s. I cannot for the life of me imagine why this wouldn't be the case here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I get a sick satisfaction hearing an anti-vaxxer getting covid and then put into a coma cause they refused to get it. On CBC Manitoba this morning there was a woman crying and begging people to get it cause they refused and now her husband is in a coma.

Play stupid games... etc. It's the easiest loving thing to do for 99% of people. Just get the loving jab.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

They won't truly be Canadian until they realize they now have theirs, and vote conservative to stop anyone else from taking it away

unfortunately too common. my exwifes whole fathers side of the family fled Laos in the 50s, 60s and 70s, came here as refugees and they all vote straight blue every time :(

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Perhaps "encouraging" vaccination was the wrong approach.

I seem to remember being absolutely required to have certain vaccinations before I was allowed to return to school in the early 2000s. I cannot for the life of me imagine why this wouldn't be the case here.

Yeah Ontario requires vaccinations to attend public school but most provinces don't, unfortunately.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Saw something go by about how vaccine mandates may undermine trust in the public health system. I would think that's been thoroughly covered by many other (in)actions this past year and a half?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

DariusLikewise posted:

If I had to go by the rumours, the candidates will be Aubrey Gordon, Heather Stefanson, Rochelle Squires, Eileen Clarke, Shannon Martin and Ron Schuler, but there's blood in the water so I wouldn't be surprised to see Goertzen or Friesen to have a go as well, but those guys would never win because the party knows no one in Winnipeg would vote for them.

https://twitter.com/CBCManitoba/status/1425487175697637379?s=20

One down I guess

Who's the dumbest candidate the PCs could line up against Stefanson to give her the easy win? Cliff Cullen? Alan Lagimodiere?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Prepare to get Goertz'ed

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

unfortunately too common. my exwifes whole fathers side of the family fled Laos in the 50s, 60s and 70s, came here as refugees and they all vote straight blue every time :(

Love when lilly white internet leftists keep crowing about fygm conservatism being a wypepo thing only to have neighborhoods full of POCs vote blue because, well, fygm. Eat poo poo wokescolds.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

EvilJoven posted:

Love when lilly white internet leftists keep crowing about fygm conservatism being a wypepo thing only to have neighborhoods full of POCs vote blue because, well, fygm. Eat poo poo wokescolds.

I'm not sure what any of this is but I think I hate it.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

If they fled Laos during the civil war there's a good chance they were fleeing the communists. Much like with the cuban diaspora, or the post WWII migration of Ukrainians that poisoned the prairies, there's usually a reason these groups vote conservative.

VVVV Also true.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 11, 2021

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

It can also be religiously-driven. A huge percentage of Catholic/Christian churches will just flat out tell their congregations to go vote Conservative.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
It takes at least one generation for the flouride to kick in

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

EvilJoven posted:

:chloe:

What Beelzebufo said is probably what's happening here. It's a common thing to have happen. It's not normally a "FYGM" thing but rather a reaction, often unwarranted, to past experience. Sometimes it's also a naive belief that the destination country is a land of opportunity and that they are future millionaires who have a vested interest in supporting Conservatives.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Beelzebufo posted:

If they fled Laos during the civil war there's a good chance they were fleeing the communists.

I don't know how much more clear it can be that North America is where the nazis flee to.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

"wypepo "

:lol:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

American conservatives are way too outright white supremacist to realize a ton of immigrants have come from places where communism and thus anything "left" is associated with brutal oppression, and or they've come from a country with extremely conservative social/religious norms. Canadian conservatives have that poo poo unfortunately figured out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

InfiniteZero posted:

What Beelzebufo said is probably what's happening here. It's a common thing to have happen. It's not normally a "FYGM" thing but rather a reaction, often unwarranted, to past experience. Sometimes it's also a naive belief that the destination country is a land of opportunity and that they are future millionaires who have a vested interest in supporting Conservatives.

Also I would guess that "this country I've moved to is much better than the country I left (regardless of reason), let's not gently caress it up" is a common sentiment. A pretty lovely one, but still.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

in the case of my local Lao community, i think it's mostly a divide of old world traditionalist refugees and young liberal Canadians who were born here. conservatism just aligns with their culture (presitge + wealth being paramount importance for family success, traditional family values/structure, etc.), or at least the culture of Laos when they left, and their extreme disdain for taxes doesn't help. most of them have interests in small businesses in the Lao community which fuels that hatred of taxes/reinforces the idea that hard work got them where they were. their kids and grandkids are mostly a lot more liberal and Canadianized from attending public schools here and don't have much love for their parents rigid traditionalism. the thing that always kills me is most of the old guys are still "practicing" Buddhists but anti-charity, anti-immigrant, etc., i guess in much the same way as christians in our culture

i guess what i'm saying is it's really the same old poo poo with old people voting cons, doesn't matter the background

Bleck posted:

I don't know how much more clear it can be that North America is where the nazis flee to.

lol, the pathet lao are "communist" in name but absolutely nazi's in practice, right down to the genocide. there was no nazis vs communists in Laos

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

lol, the pathet lao are

I don't care, dude.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ok

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bleck posted:

in the case of the Ukrainians post WWII most definitely. Otherwise it really depends. The groups using the name "communist" vary a lot in different parts of the world, and I know for example that a lot of Cambodian refugees vote conservative because of the Khmer Rouge, even thought the Pol Pot was insane and genocidal to the point that communist Vietnam felt the need to intervene. Once they get here though, it all filters through our particular culture war around the term.

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Trudeau (and Biden I guess) should just announce that they're giving away 99% of our vaccines to African countries - if anti-vaxxers want to act like children, it's best to treat them as such. Cue the right wing outrage that Trudeau is daring to help non-white people.

I think we're well past the point where encouraging people to get vaxxed is the right thing; at this point it's just fueling the moronic take of "the government wants me to take it, they must have ulterior motives for doing so".

ColdBlooded fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 11, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Once we do plateau I'm all for offloading our excess shots onto countries in need. Any argument for why that's a bad thing can be countered by saying "you've had months to get your shot, maybe try exercising some of that personal responsibility you're always going on about."

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Had a neighbour with all manner of crazy signs including one that alluded to dying for their beliefs before being silenced. Well they put their house up for sale and suddenly all the signs were gone!

They'll die for the cause! ... unless it impacts then financially.

Just tax the fuckers and watch them line the gently caress up to piss on their "beliefs". If they still relent, keep taxing them until they need to use some of those government services they hate so deeply.

Or just toss em all into a lake.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1425527407524683777?s=20

So Brian Bowman, Paul Jordan and Marty Morantz? Talk about some stinkers

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1425527407524683777?s=20

So Brian Bowman, Paul Jordan and Marty Morantz? Talk about some stinkers

Brian Bowman has far too many bridges burnt within the party and he's a poster child for being a weakling in a position of power. Marty Morantz is not well respected by party members. I can't speak to Paul Jordan except that The Forks has been too well run and he is, therefore, overqualified to serve as a Conservative leader.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

Brian Bowman has far too many bridges burnt within the party and he's a poster child for being a weakling in a position of power. Marty Morantz is not well respected by party members. I can't speak to Paul Jordan except that The Forks has been too well run and he is, therefore, overqualified to serve as a Conservative leader.

Bowman would be good if their strategy is to completely separate themselves from the politics of Pallister completely, I was under the impression that everyone in Winnipeg hates Bowman though. CTV floated James Bezan and Candice Bergen as possibilities as well, if Trudeau ever follows through and calls this stupid federal election we may find out pretty quick who would jump down from MP to Premier.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wait, Murphy Brown is running for office?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

If Murphy Brown liked to wear a MAGA hat and was a generally lovely person, sure.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Both owe their careers to talking puppets

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1425556944643928073

hope it's not built by accenture :v:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Please... It will be built by SNC-Lavalin, who must be finished with those Libyan prisons by now.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

They are still banned from Federal contracts, no? Or did Trudeau actually succeed when he interfered with that?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Apparently this week UOttawa mandated vaccinations for on-campus learners. Have they got any substantial pushback on this? I haven't been able to find any enraged responses from the OCP but then I haven't been looking hard.

Anyhow I happen to be on the board of a largish university on the prairies and gently caress it, I'm gonna go yell at admin about mandatory vaxxes.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

American here who previously traveled to Canada semi-frequently: don't they already have this with ArriveCAN and a testing/quarantine requirement, or is the a totally new system?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

IT BURNS posted:

American here who previously traveled to Canada semi-frequently: don't they already have this with ArriveCAN and a testing/quarantine requirement, or is the a totally new system?

I assume this is for us to show other nations.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

CBC posted:

Alberta Premier Jason Kenney, meanwhile, continues to insist his province will not introduce proof-of-vaccination documentation.

"We've been very clear from the beginning that we will not facilitate or accept vaccine passports," Kenney told reporters last month.

So what does that mean? If I'm in Alberta the feds can't generate my vaccine passport and I can't go traveling once the world opens up again?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Albino Squirrel posted:

So what does that mean? If I'm in Alberta the feds can't generate my vaccine passport and I can't go traveling once the world opens up again?

I think he is referring to proof of vaccination to get into places like bars or stores, like what Quebec is introducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

ZeeBoi posted:

I think he is referring to proof of vaccination to get into places like bars or stores, like what Quebec is introducing.
Yes, but the provinces hold all the vaccination info - in Alberta it's accessible via Netcare. If Alberta will not 'facilitate' vaccine passports, if they won't work with the feds as the feds are apparently hoping, then it may not be possible to generate a record of vaccination for people living in Alberta.

E: and then I can't TRAVEL and then I'm STILL STUCK HERE