Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

djfooboo posted:

FB Marketplace. Never underestimate people’s hate of shipping games.

after receiving a game in the BGG math trade that cost $59 to ship to me, I understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
I picked up Shards of Infinity on this thread's advice, loved it to bits, got the expansion and discovered that the base game and its expansion have different card sizes. Is this a known thing? I got the base game locally in NZ and sourced the expansion from the US if that rings any bells.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Mine are the same size (base and first exp) but both bought in US.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Fate Accomplice posted:

after receiving a game in the BGG math trade that cost $59 to ship to me, I understand why.

I'll never buy a used game online for this reason. Shipping games is too expensive!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll never buy a used game online for this reason. Shipping games is too expensive!

USPS flat rate boxes are a god send. $15 anywhere basically if your game will fit 14″ x 12″ x 3".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bottom Liner posted:

USPS flat rate boxes are a god send. $15 anywhere basically if your game will fit 14″ x 12″ x 3".

A standard size square box is 11.75" x 11.75" x 2.5", if anyone was curious.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jedit posted:

It's a solid game. Currently being sold for £15 at The Works, if you're UKian.

Absolutely worth it at that price. I note also that various places are selling the Jaws and Top Gun games for knock down prices. Neither of them are great games, but you'll get a few amusing rounds out of them.

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Does anyone have any insight about the compatibility of basic Mysterium and the new Mysterium Park cards?

I ordered Mysterium Park to my partner. Could I also buy an expansion to basic Mysterium and just add it's locations and suspects (and visions, obviously) to Mysterium Parks' decks to give it more variety/longevity?

To my understanding, Mysterium's location- and suspect cards are the same size as on Mysterium Park and just the card backs would be different (which wouldn't be a problem, I don't think).

EDIT. Nevermind, BGG-forums had the answer (yes). Eagerly waiting to play this, as we both love Codenames!

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 11, 2021

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Do the 18xx veterans here have any thoughts on 18NewEngland? Just curious if anyone has experience with it or where it might fit in. Seems similar to 1846/1861/67 and therefore maybe a bit redundant if I've already those?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Our board game draft is finished, here's the results:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973443&pagenumber=9#post516885311

You can vote on which games fit the rounds best, who got the best list, etc here

https://forms.gle/YFE8RThjd47cq4CL6

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

FulsomFrank posted:

Do the 18xx veterans here have any thoughts on 18NewEngland? Just curious if anyone has experience with it or where it might fit in. Seems similar to 1846/1861/67 and therefore maybe a bit redundant if I've already those?

I prefer it to 61/67 but I might be in the minority there? It’s definitely closer to those than 46.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition expansions 'Recurring Nightmares' and/or 'Suppressed Memories' that they'd be willing to sell for a not-crazy price? Absolute cheapest I've seen online is £200 for RN, prices go up to £500 for SM which is insane for a handful of miniatures and tiles.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is a long shot, but does anyone have the Mansions of Madness 2nd edition expansions 'Recurring Nightmares' and/or 'Suppressed Memories' that they'd be willing to sell for a not-crazy price? Absolute cheapest I've seen online is £200 for RN, prices go up to £500 for SM which is insane for a handful of miniatures and tiles.

they're massively out of print, good luck.

I only managed to get copies of each from BGG after someone listed the base game + both of those expansions in an auction but didn't add the expansions as separate items, so people who had alerts for them didn't get pinged to drive the price into the stratosphere.

got the base game + both tile collections for $50 + shipping.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Fate Accomplice posted:

they're massively out of print, good luck.

I only managed to get copies of each from BGG after someone listed the base game + both of those expansions in an auction but didn't add the expansions as separate items, so people who had alerts for them didn't get pinged to drive the price into the stratosphere.

got the base game + both tile collections for $50 + shipping.

Nice, extremely lucky find!

It's not the end of the world as I have all the other expansions so there is plenty of content, and the maps seem to change quite a lot - we replayed one scenario and the entire house was different, I think only one tile in common, plus all the monsters changed. The objective items stayed the same but that's to be expected.

Wish I'd hopped on the bandwagon earlier. I absolutely hated first edition and I think I gave it away free.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hello, it's me, the big dumb baby who is only really interested in boardgames about licensed IPs with miniatures that I might be able to paint up one day.

Just dipping a toe into this thread to say I've had my first play of the Bill and Ted's Riff in Time game and it was a ton of fun. A ton of fun. I didn't know this game existed a week ago, and judging by the lack of buzz about it almost everywhere online, it looks like most people don't know it exists. Looks like it sank without trace and they're selling it dirt cheap from Wayland games in the UK.

For UK goons, this game is going for £15 for the base game, and £10 for the Rufus' Remix expansion that is an upgrade set to turn the 10 Personages of Historical Significance into movie accurate miniatures. Buy them together and there's a bundle deal making it only £20 with free delivery. That's about 60% off the RRP and what turned this into an impulse buy for me, because I figured that's 15 nice looking miniatures to paint up even if the game sucks. The game actually being pretty kickass is a nice bonus.

It's a super simple 1-5 player co-op game (I played it solo with 3 characters and it was very quick and easy to both setup and play). Make a dice pool of 3-4 dice, and use the results to move around and fix the 10 broken time rifts before San Dimas explodes. The 10 historical figures need to be ferried to their correct places on the board (the locations of which are random each game) before they can be fixed, and while they're travelling with you in the phone booth you get random bonuses (and some negatives because Genghis Khan is a bundle of chaotic energy). Fix rifts and get upgraded dice to fix things faster. There's a deck of cards you draw from that make things worse in random places to give it a whole "stop any of the spinning plates from dropping" feel.

I dunno, but I loved it. Super simple mechanics, as things get worse at a location you can blame it on whoever is there (drat it, Billy the Kid), talk like the lovable himbos in the movie, and once I get these figures painted up it's going to be a super sweet looking game. Napoleon even has his Ziggy Piggy badge sculpted on.

Anyway, if you too are a big dumb baby who likes fun licensed games and/or paintable playing pieces then this is an absolute steal in the UK right now.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Aug 12, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That sounds adorable! With luck it'll still be going on when I get paid. Thanks for the heads up!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

HopperUK posted:

That sounds adorable! With luck it'll still be going on when I get paid. Thanks for the heads up!

It is kinda adorable. Here's a video with a soccer mom explaining the entire ruleset in 6 minutes, just imagine replacing the cardboard standees with more figures (and gaining a playable George Carlin) and that's what you'd get for your twenty Queen Elizabucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwF7VIXSQ6g

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
What are some goon-approved board game podcasts? My feed is very thin now that I've deleted all my MtG podcasts. The requirements are:

1: Not fash (sad that I have to say that, but this is trad gaming)
2: Don't call their listeners fash (a category that really should be empty, but SVWAG continues to surprise)
3: I already listen to Game Brain. That main guy's voice is very sexy :wink:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spacebiff doesn't have episodes super often but they're usually a good listen. His voice is very pleasant too.

SUSD have changed their format to only do 1-2 games an episode and I think it works better.

The Long View is worth a listen when it's covering a game you like or are interested in. One long dive into a single game per episode. Quality can fluctuate.

Then here's a few I'll throw on as background noise when working or something but don't actively listen to or keep up with really

Punchboard Paradise
Mile High Game Guys
Going Analog

Also Geek Nights is pretty good when they cover board games. They don't do it often these days, but they have like 15 years of back catalog and they usually have a unique take on board game design and analysis that's placed well outside the board game media/hobbyist style. They also have a lot of good board game centric panels from various conventions on youtube (The 40 Tabletop Games you Must Play, etc).https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWB8uG3vS44

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's Dads on a Map, whose quality has increased over the life of the podcast and especially has some fun interludes for their train game and COIN subcasts.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Magnetic North posted:

What are some goon-approved board game podcasts? My feed is very thin now that I've deleted all my MtG podcasts. The requirements are:

2: Don't call their listeners fash (a category that really should be empty, but SVWAG continues to surprise)

Seems like an odd requirement. What if some of their listeners are fash? It's not like there's a shortage of those these days.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The comment in question was along the lines of ”if you punch a fascist you’re no better than the fascists” because mark is a self described pacifist. I had an exchange with him on Twitter about it where he doubled down.

Edit: it was “ when you acknowledge that violence is the way to resolve political discourse you’re not an antifascist, you’re a fascist”

I pointed out that neonazi rhetoric is not political discourse that gets a seat at the table and he said “ There's a lot of daylight between giving fascism a seat at the table and committing assault on people expressing vile views”.

So yeah, really stupid. I’ll just talk to the white supremacists next time they march.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 13, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I bring it up everything time they get mentioned in discord because gently caress that privileged glib bullshit.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Dunno if it's cool to crosspost miniatures pics into here, but I've been painting for the first time in 15 years and was lured back in by the components for the Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corp board game. After one test play of that game it seems both incredibly thematic and cinematic at times, but also slow as molasses with Too Much Admin. I'll see if that improves, but if it doesn't my Plan B is to use the AGDITC figures with a print out of the map from the superb 1989 Leading Edge game so win-win. I do like the other components in AGDITC, but first impressions are that the card deck mechanics are great, and the aiming dial mechanics are great, but both together is just Too Much Admin. I'll probably write up a massively stripped down version of those rules at some point because the main problem with that game is that there seems to be too much game in the game.

Anyway, some 95% finished painted components. As I say, I'm a sucker for licensed IPs with paintable stuffs.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Parkingtigers posted:

Dunno if it's cool to crosspost miniatures pics into here, but I've been painting for the first time in 15 years and was lured back in by the components for the Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corp board game. After one test play of that game it seems both incredibly thematic and cinematic at times, but also slow as molasses with Too Much Admin. I'll see if that improves, but if it doesn't my Plan B is to use the AGDITC figures with a print out of the map from the superb 1989 Leading Edge game so win-win. I do like the other components in AGDITC, but first impressions are that the card deck mechanics are great, and the aiming dial mechanics are great, but both together is just Too Much Admin. I'll probably write up a massively stripped down version of those rules at some point because the main problem with that game is that there seems to be too much game in the game.

Anyway, some 95% finished painted components. As I say, I'm a sucker for licensed IPs with paintable stuffs.

I respect the hell out of anyone who paints minis and paints them well. They look great. My issue with the Aliens games is that I look at it and see Another Mini Heavy Thematic War Co-op Game and my mind just wanders away. If someone knows the game inside and out and can streamline the playing and teaching experience to let me just enjoy it all, I'm down, but otherwise it ain't happening.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Magnetic North posted:

1: Not fash (sad that I have to say that, but this is trad gaming)
3: I already listen to Game Brain. That main guy's voice is very sexy :wink:

Shut up and Sit Down and Dad's on a map as mentioned above. I also listen to Board Game Blitz and it meets your categories for sure.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I've added Punchboard Paradise and Board Game Blitz (totally forgot about them, I have enjoyed Ambie's 18xx video content), and already listened to SUSD. The rest aren't on Stitcher? Neither is Radho's podcast, which I thought of while being confused that things aren't on that app.

Did a little searching and found This Game Is Broken and Ludology. Those plus the existing Game Brain, RDTN, SUSD, NPI, The Secret Cabal, and that one Canadian financial podcast, I'm hopefully good? But I will accept more suggestions.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Magnetic North posted:

I bring it up everything time they get mentioned in discord because gently caress that privileged glib bullshit.

I think that's the rub. Most of SVWAG's takes are interesting, but Mark is approaching most discussions from a super-privileged, ultra-genteel navel-gazey sheltered nerd position. He'd never find himself in a position to actually need to punch a fascist, and would probably go out of his way to make sure he doesn't have to. He's obviously off base here, but at least he's calling out most of the toxic bullshit in "the Hobby".

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Magnetic North posted:

Marks comments are moronic but describing the problem this way isn't helpful in my opinion. Calling your listeners fash isn't in itself a problem, providing they are in fact fash. It's the content of his politics that is at fault.

Describing it your way makes it sound like you're concerned with the decorum of calling out fascists, which turns out to be thankfully not the case.

And finding out this stuff for the first time as a svwag casual listener - that is some stupid stuff from mark right there.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

Marks comments are moronic but describing the problem this way isn't helpful in my opinion. Calling your listeners fash isn't in itself a problem, providing they are in fact fash. It's the content of his politics that is at fault.

Describing it your way makes it sound like you're concerned with the decorum of calling out fascists, which turns out to be thankfully not the case.

And finding out this stuff for the first time as a svwag casual listener - that is some stupid stuff from mark right there.

I'm sorry, I guess I was assuming the story was more well known to the general goon populace since they are (potentially were?) popular here. I certainly was not trying to provide cover for anyone, or make any current listernship feel like I was somehow lumping them into a category. As I alluded to early, I mention it at every opportunity similar to how the host mentions that Eklund is a piece of poo poo every time he comes up. What's good for the geese is good for the gander, no?

Let me say in no uncertain terms that if one's listernship is actually fashy, then I certainly expect that to be called out. Likewise, while I can sympathize if some content creators want their world to be a mostly politics free zone, if you step out of that escapist circle by making a politically inflammatory and irresponsible statement, then all bets are off and you better have your Is dotted and your Ts crossed.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I had to google 'fash' to figure out what is going on and still am confused as to what it means. Am I old or just American? Or both? (Worst case scenario)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rusty Kettle posted:

I had to google 'fash' to figure out what is going on and still am confused as to what it means. Am I old or just American? Or both? (Worst case scenario)

It means Fascist.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It means Fascist.

That makes sense in context.

Urban dictionary said it was "fit and sexy hawt" which made no sense at all.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Now that you mention it, I’ve always thought King Philip was a little FASH

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rusty Kettle posted:

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that someone has deliberately seeded Urban Dictionary with that to try and make leftists seem jealous of their "pure Aryan masculinity". I'd be even less surprised to learn that it was the site operators, UD being not so much a dictionary as a thesaurus for pejoratives.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Rusty Kettle posted:

You sure about that? your weird definition is way down at #5 and "facist" is #1

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
This convo is loving stupid

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm going to get to set up a dedicated gloomhaven table

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Bottom Liner posted:

Our board game draft is finished, here's the results:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973443&pagenumber=9#post516885311

You can vote on which games fit the rounds best, who got the best list, etc here

https://forms.gle/YFE8RThjd47cq4CL6

If a new thread is ever created these drafts should be collected in the OP somewhere, they are pretty interesting and generate a good list of games to check out every 6 months or however frequently they are run

Also a category next time should be “not designed by a north american or european”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Fellis posted:

Also a category next time should be “not designed by a north american or european”

Here's a list of categories we came up with so far

Goon designed
Not listed on BGG
BIPOC designers
Kickstarter exclusive
soloable
mechanic specific rounds
war games
non victory point win cons
best MTG replacement
good for kids + adults
high player count
historical

Whoever runs the next one can do it however though, I'll pass the torch along so it can stay fresh.