Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Bigger question: what is it about the Pannonia basin that attracts nomads wishing to be non-nomadic settlers?

It's a good school district

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Negostrike posted:

which means the first Avars in Europe probably looked very East Asian (and it looks like genetic studies on them indicates just that).

which in turn reminds me that the other day an article I read mentioned a study done by the Max Planck society which concluded that early Europeans probably were still black since they supplied themselves with enough Vitamin D through their hunter-gatherer diet to escape evolutionary pressure towards lighter skin. Apparently it was only with the arrival of agriculture ~9,000 years ago that Europeans started to "turn white", so to speak. I can't find the study in question however, does anybody know where to look?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Saladman posted:

Yeah but that's how every territory works, it's not like aborigines showed up out of the ether in Australia, they had to cross from PNG and southeast Asia or whatever. By now those Icelanders and their direct descendants have been in Iceland longer than Maori have been in New Zealand.

If you want to get really picky about "only the direct descendants of the first people to ever show up here are indigenous" then I don't think anything counts except like New Zealand, maybe Madagascar, and some other scattered smaller islands. I mean like berbers are considered indigenous to North Africa, but I'm sure they invaded and kicked someone else out sometime before the Romans showed up and started documenting things in writing.

I know, but it would have been empty without indo-european settlement, while that map posits that I guess Greenland Inuit get to Iceland at some point

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Bigger question: what is it about the Pannonia basin that attracts nomads wishing to be non-nomadic settlers?

Coming from the east, your options are to follow the Dnepr or Dnestr up north and invade what's now Poland and Belarus, go over the Carpathians into Transylvania or follow the Donau, which leads you into the Pannonian basin. The last option seems to have been the least forested route.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's important to note with a lot of these steppe nomad groups, as well as some other groups in ancient and medieval history (like the Galatians and Vikings), that they tend to follow a similar pattern of beginning as ethnically and linguistically homogeneous cores of mobile fighters that grow over time into multiethnic, multilingual societies by taking slaves, capturing wives, and attracting willing fighters as they moved.

Also, in relation to movements and genetics, our understanding of prehistoric mobility, demographics, and linguistics has been over the last two decades and continues to be upended all the time by genetic studies. Interestingly, several old and discounted ideas relating to prehistoric population movements in Europe have been at least partially substantiated by large scale genetic studies of Neolithic and Bronze Age human remains.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's good grazing land, the westernmost bit of the Eurasian Steppes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's on the western edge of the asian steppe, but it's also isolated from the major empires and states of the Mediterranean, so if you think you can take other nomadic groups or otherwise know that they're in decline, then it's a safe place to set up shop.

A place for horse folk to be safe from boat folk.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah my writing turned out more definitive than intended, I meant to say that's probably what happened. It's certainly possible that displacement occured, but it seems to be a much rarer scenario, at least when dealing with settled peoples.

Yes, if you look at the majority Y-dna haplogroup in Western Europe ranging from Britain to Spain, the dominant Y-dna strain (R1b IIRC) is associated with Celtic peoples, so linguistic/cultural shifts very likely played a much larger role than outright population displacement. Even if population displacement did occur on larger scales, it tended to be in areas that were already sparsely populated.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a map based on the Louisiana Maneuvers, which was an entirely pointless military exercise carried out in Louisiana in 1941, before the US entered WW2. 400,000 personnel were involved and not a single lesson was learned.

quote:

Around 400,000 troops were divided into equal armies of two fictitious countries: Kotmk (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kentucky), also called the Red Army; and Almat (Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee), or the Blue Army. The troops were organized into a total of 19 divisions.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Honestly I'd rather live in Almat. At least it's got New Orleans.

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

Interestingly, several old and discounted ideas relating to prehistoric population movements in Europe have been at least partially substantiated by large scale genetic studies of Neolithic and Bronze Age human remains.

Can you give some examples? That sounds interesting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

All the paprika.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Land price.jpg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Neorxenawang posted:

Can you give some examples? That sounds interesting.

Neighbouring countries mostly follow a progression of change rather than having hard gaps. Compare England to the rest of the isles vs to Germany and Scandinavia. There obviously was not a mass extermination of celts in now-England who were replaced by all new germanic people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s interesting how much Greece and Spain differ.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

How often do they have to update Florida?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Slavs are more Aryan than Germans lol

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The grouping of ethnic groups in the pie chart is weird. Like specifically, it doesn't exactly illustrate whether or not all the Celts (or even the remnants from Roman Britain) were slain when the Anglo-Saxons moved in, because Saxons, Celts, and Italics are all the same color. Not that I wouldn't believe that there's been heavy intermingling between the groups so it'd be hard to separate out. It might also be handy to divvy up France or Germany by internal subdivisions like the UK is on the map.

Although any sorting out medieval or ancient immigrations would also be obscured by the exponential population growth in the last few centuries that also got paired with mass amounts of people immigrating all over the place redistributing the population growth.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Slavs are more Aryan than Germans lol

I'd also ask what "Aryan" is supposed to mean in this contexts, since I only see that term used for European peoples in Nazi bullshit race science.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why are Sardinians and South Slav the same?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sardinia doesn't actually exist.

It's just empty sea and a psyop for the Yugoslav fishing industry.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd also ask what "Aryan" is supposed to mean in this contexts, since I only see that term used for European peoples in Nazi bullshit race science.

It's a self-identifier by the eastern half (ish) of the indo-european group and related to words like "Iran." Nazis used it later, which is why before they started genociding they did wackier stuff like expeditions to India and Tibet to find evidence of ancient super germans.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why are Sardinians and South Slav the same?

They're all the dreadful Sea Peoples that caused the Bronze Age Collapse

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Another interesting thing on the pie chart map is the distribution of haplogroup I1 and I2, which seems to suggest some kind of link between Germanic peoples and... Illyrians, I guess? Nowadays the of course speak Slavic languages, but it also sort of explains why both Northwestern Europeans and people of the west Balkans are so friggin' tall.

Some linguist have even suggested Albanian might be the closest extant relative of the Germanic languages, but reconstruction of linguistic relations that far back is always highly speculative.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Another interesting thing on the pie chart map is the distribution of haplogroup I1 and I2, which seems to suggest some kind of link between Germanic peoples and... Illyrians, I guess? Nowadays the of course speak Slavic languages, but it also sort of explains why both Northwestern Europeans and people of the west Balkans are so friggin' tall.

Some linguist have even suggested Albanian might be the closest extant relative of the Germanic languages, but reconstruction of linguistic relations that far back is always highly speculative.

I remember meeting Svante Paabo many years ago in Croatia and IIRC he thought the valleys of the Balkans were the area from which huge parts of Europe were repopulated after the Last Glacial Maximum. That would make sense in this context, although I have no idea whether the material evidence confirms his speculation based purely on genetics.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Land price.jpg

lol if you think Texas has expensive land

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

ASAPRockySituation posted:

lol if you think Texas has expensive land

It's skyrocketing in Austin. Median home sales price is up 40% YoY. http://www.austinrealestatehomesblog.com/real-estate-price-reports/july-2021/

I'm trying to guess on a part of LA that would be the equivalent of the trendy parts of Austin, would Pasadena qualify? If so, I see prices in Pasadena are still twice what they are in Austin. So comparatively Austin is cheap, but the gap is quickly narrowing.

Austin expected to become least-affordable metro for homebuyers outside of California

Old James fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Places people live haven't reached truly absurd levels like the coasts, but they're rapidly approaching. Like the average yearly rent for one bedroom increase in Austin is 9%, or Dallas 7%, or Houston 5%. LA, 1%. Brooklyn, -3%, Seattle, -4%. If you want to come join me in a shithole town then yeah, I'm paying less than half for an apartment with a pool and rooms than a did for a bedroom in the Bronx.

e: it's obviously going to stable out to average metropolis tier ludicrous rent, but that doesn't help the increasing amount of people getting rapidly removed from their homes as their neighbourhoods are gentrified. Hell, it's probably worse than in somewhere like NYC long-term given that incoming population (and hence voters) tends to be FYGM boomers, tech bros, or californians horny at the idea of not paying income tax and insisting they need a closer Chipotle instead of buying tamales from the local abuelita with a side hustle.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Aug 13, 2021

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

We are aware the Welsh exist, but know little of these elusive creatures.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A whole nation who love to eat 'rarebit' and pray to 'beli mawr', I've gotta check this place out.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mods are asleep posting reverse Italy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

My new idea is that every 5 years, the people of Algeria and the people of Scandinavia would switch places. They'd figure out everything amongst themselves, like adults. Of course, there's twice as many Algerians as there are Scandinavians, so each Scandinavian would have to find two Algerians to live in their residence to make the system work.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Old James posted:

It's skyrocketing in Austin. Median home sales price is up 40% YoY. http://www.austinrealestatehomesblog.com/real-estate-price-reports/july-2021/

I'm trying to guess on a part of LA that would be the equivalent of the trendy parts of Austin, would Pasadena qualify? If so, I see prices in Pasadena are still twice what they are in Austin. So comparatively Austin is cheap, but the gap is quickly narrowing.

Austin expected to become least-affordable metro for homebuyers outside of California

Home prices aren't land prices. Texas has very cheap land. States in the northeast and west coast have the most expensive land with states like Connecticut, New Jersey, and Maryland having some of the most expensive per acre.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Minenfeld! posted:

Home prices aren't land prices. Texas has very cheap land. States in the northeast and west coast have the most expensive land with states like Connecticut, New Jersey, and Maryland having some of the most expensive per acre.

Texas has cheap land in places where people do not much want to buy land. In Texas you can go hours and not even see a drat cow or oil derrick, let alone a gas station. In NY even rural shitholes have regular service stations with built in McDonald's and Subway and you're only getting to "waste" land in parks.

Hence why it ends up looking more like California and NY than Montana on that map. There are huge swathes where the only people who'd want to even, forget buy, are cattle ranchers and total morons like the Texarrakis folks or the goon who wanted to walk along the interstate from the Bay to Florida. It's a different story if you want land in the bits comparable to Mass or NY.

fake e: also cults and gun nuts who want to build nazi compounds

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the goon who wanted to walk along the interstate from the Bay to Florida.

whatever happened to that guy after he got a mile and gave up? did he ever post or try again

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The grouping of ethnic groups in the pie chart is weird. Like specifically, it doesn't exactly illustrate whether or not all the Celts (or even the remnants from Roman Britain) were slain when the Anglo-Saxons moved in, because Saxons, Celts, and Italics are all the same color. Not that I wouldn't believe that there's been heavy intermingling between the groups so it'd be hard to separate out.

That's because it's a map of Y-DNA haplogroups, not % of ethnic groups in each country. The R1b (red) group is just found mostly in western Europe so they say it's "Celtic" but that doesn't mean there's a set of "Celtic" genes.

I'm also fairly sure it's studies of gene distribution in individuals so if you did it with some random British black or Asian person, you would get wildly different results.

Edit: They call the R1a group "Slavic, Aryan" because it's found all over Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Iran and northern India. It's "Aryan" as in "of Iranian descent", not the Nazi race science meaning.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 13, 2021

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Kassad posted:

That's because it's a map of Y-DNA haplogroups, not % of ethnic groups in each country. The R1b (red) group is just found mostly in western Europe so they say it's "Celtic" but that doesn't mean there's a set of "Celtic" genes.

I'm also fairly sure it's studies of gene distribution in individuals so if you did it with some random British black or Asian person, you would get wildly different results.

Edit: They call the R1a group "Slavic, Aryan" because it's found all over Eastern Europe, Central Asia, Iran and northern India. It's "Aryan" as in "of Iranian descent", not the Nazi race science meaning.

If I'm not mistaken R1a and R1b are also the only Y-haplogroups known to be able to produce red-headed individuals, so if you're a man and have red hair, a reddish sheen in your hair or a reddish beard, you probably belong to R1a or R1b.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Aren't a bunch of Mongols red haired?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Some bog bodies are redheads, but idk if that's from being in a bog for a couple millenia

But thinking on it, I read some place that blue eyes aren't uncommon among Pashtuns. There certainly are a lot of photos of them anyway

Also, there are both African and Asian populations that are lactose tolerant, which is a third thing that white supremacists latched onto as a unique nordic thing. turns out we are all unique :heart:

This post is kind of a mess, but it's examples of stuff I remembered that makes us white people less unique so :toot:

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Pope Hilarius II posted:

If I'm not mistaken R1a and R1b are also the only Y-haplogroups known to be able to produce red-headed individuals, so if you're a man and have red hair, a reddish sheen in your hair or a reddish beard, you probably belong to R1a or R1b.

Nah, red hair is also found among Udmurts, Uighurs, Berbers and Ashkenazi Jews. It isn't a common color, but it isn't exclusive to some particular population.