Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

the REAL truckfucklers have arrived

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv13gl0a-FA&t=63s

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

haveblue posted:

Alarm nothing, the truck should not be capable of driving unless the boom is in stowed position

Is that a common thing? If it is, I bet they got annoyed when they had to stow it just to move the truck slightly while working and disabled it. The police took the license from the driver, but if the company is at fault beyond that I hope they get what they deserve.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

Ola posted:

Yep, and just behind the camera is a school. Thankfully school hasn't started yet from summer and there was nobody on it. He did take out some fiber optic cables as well so a few thousand people are offline, so the driver is obviously at serious risk of lynching.

Its my understanding that taking out fiber optic cables is holy poo poo expensive. I know some site work companies that have accidentally cut large fiber lines and they were charged an enormous amount per hour until it was completely repaired.

I wonder what will cost more, the pedestrian bridge or the fiber optic cables

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I have a surveyor friend who told me about a guy running an excavator who accidentally dug up a main fiber-optic trunk line between Ottawa and Montreal. It was something like a half-million dollar base fine plus another $50,000 for every hour it was out of service.

The operator apparently shut off the excavator, put the keys on the seat, and left the job site, never to be seen again.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKFnk4R54ZQ

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

pages back but holy crap. the lack of cords for the tools makes me very stressed

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

every time one of this guy's videos gets posted i'm astonished that he still has all his skin.

just flinging molten metal into my driveway not wearing a face shield or even a long-sleeved shirt, whatever

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Everything he does is insanely dangerous, I'm surprised he's still alive.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Someone should get him a paraglider

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he may do science but he's still a Florida man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sagebrush posted:

every time one of this guy's videos gets posted i'm astonished that he still has all his skin.

just flinging molten metal into my driveway not wearing a face shield or even a long-sleeved shirt, whatever

youll know he bit it when he stops posting videos.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nocheez posted:

What's the regulations on having a thread over 3 digits big? Can the structure support it?

:toot:
Don't worry, there's a load-bearing &perpage in there.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/UqE9ijr.gifv

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iroc.dis posted:

100% the fiber if the service providers get their teeth into the trucking company

Sagebrush posted:

I have a surveyor friend who told me about a guy running an excavator who accidentally dug up a main fiber-optic trunk line between Ottawa and Montreal. It was something like a half-million dollar base fine plus another $50,000 for every hour it was out of service.
Round these parts I've always seen them use a GPS-assisted machine when they dig near sensitive trenches.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Aug 11, 2021

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

evil_bunnY posted:

Round these parts I've always seen them use a GPS-assisted machine when they dig near sensitive trenches.

Around here, there are fiber optic cables that aren't on any maps. (Or at least, not on maps the guys building the roads are allowed to see.)

EDIT: I don't know that for certain, but I do recall a story where a work crew hit a line, then double and triple checked their maps to make sure they weren't just missing something. While they were sorting that out, some black Suburbans rolled up and men basically saying "did you happen to hit a fiber optic line? Yeah... we'll take it from here, go away please."

CellBlock fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 11, 2021

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

CellBlock posted:

Around here, there are fiber optic cables that aren't on any maps. (Or at least, not on maps the guys building the roads are allowed to see.)

EDIT: I don't know that for certain, but I do recall a story where a work crew hit a line, then double and triple checked their maps to make sure they weren't just missing something. While they were sorting that out, some black Suburbans rolled up and men basically saying "did you happen to hit a fiber optic line? Yeah... we'll take it from here, go away please."

Yeah. Construction in Tysons hit a CIA line at least once.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/klEvr6i.gifv

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Sick dance move.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

This is just such horrible threat modelling lmao

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Jackasses dry cutting concrete outside my house, only PPE they've got are cigarette filters

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

iroc.dis posted:

Its my understanding that taking out fiber optic cables is holy poo poo expensive. I know some site work companies that have accidentally cut large fiber lines and they were charged an enormous amount per hour until it was completely repaired.

Demolition at the military base I work at accidentally cut the fiber line across the runway, killing internet and networking (and the ATC phone lines) to half the base. They got it spliced pretty quickly.

Then they it severed a second time the week after :v:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Oh no the sex arses :ohdear:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

One of the true classics of shipfuckling

Acute Rena Failure, Oct. 2011

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 12, 2021

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I assume this is loaded with GPUs

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The salvage guys offloaded that whole nightmare jenga in one day.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

evilbastard
Mar 6, 2003

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

100% the fiber if the service providers get their teeth into the trucking company

GPS can work, but the problem is often the fibre is laid into the ground, then the area changes, e.g. the curb is moved, or a building front is changed, and no-one really checks it, because "Hey, the plan said it was 2.5 metres from the curb, that's over there, we are fine to use this hole saw to plant some trees".

The solution now is banning everything except non-destructive digging around fibre paths - high pressure water, air or both. Of course, this tends to be pretty drat loud, so queue lots of residential complaints

The trouble with fibre hits is it is almost always the plans are given to someone who subcontracts the work to someone else, who subcontracts the work to someone else. The information isn't passed on, and if there is a hit the sub-sub-contractor declares bankruptcy, and they have no assets to seize. They fold up, return all their rented equipment, form a new company and start again.

Fibre splicing teams can make good money. The major telco in Sydney - Telstra - used to run 8 daytime install teams, with 1 team available for late night repair works. I've spoken with those guys during callout works and they say they can pull in 40-50 hours of overtime in a good week.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

CellBlock posted:

Even when they're on maps they still manage to hit them.

Near where I live the fibre installers hit the fibre duct right next to the man hole with the giant yellow sign that said "fibre here". I spoke with the unimpressed bloke sitting in the back of his van splicing the entire bundle back together again.

EDIT: the location of the fibre line they hit is on the ITU's website so it's not exactly a secret. Plus the big yellow signs kinda make it obvious. https://www.itu.int/itu-d/tnd-map-public/

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Aug 12, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Wrr posted:

Demolition at the military base I work at accidentally cut the fiber line across the runway, killing internet and networking (and the ATC phone lines) to half the base. They got it spliced pretty quickly.

Then they it severed a second time the week after :v:

Wildfires on the mountain next to my base melted the lines that connect the radios at squadron duty desks to the antennas on the mountain peak. As a national security matter it was naturally repaired very quickly It of course took them weeks to fix it and we ended up using a handheld survival radio to be able to talk to our planes in the interim. I'm assuming the actual airfield tower had some other setup that wasn't affected or a better backup system.

I'm genuinely impressed at how well those containers are holding together while tipped over like that. I would have guessed they were secured in place somehow to keep them from shifting around in rough seas, but not to the degree of being able to support hanging sideways like that.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

That moving company that cut down all those trees is continuing to run into issues because they didn't actually measure anything.

iroc.dis
Mar 15, 2013

evilbastard posted:

The solution now is banning everything except non-destructive digging around fibre paths - high pressure water, air or both. Of course, this tends to be pretty drat loud, so queue lots of residential complaints

I work for a fairly large commercial GC and that's part of our policy for any ground disturbance work. Before even starting, we require the subcontractor perform multiple ground penetrating radar scans. Every underground utility needs to be identified and marked. Any digging within 5' of a marked utility has to be done by "non-destructive means." Which can either be hand digging or pneumatic or hydro excavation.

As with all policy changes, this was because of people doing dumb poo poo. In this case, a subcontractor for us hit the same loving gas line in downtown DC, 3 loving times, in a week.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Coxswain Balls posted:

That moving company that cut down all those trees is continuing to run into issues because they didn't actually measure anything.

Holy poo poo, so like, did they not make them actually go do the permit right after the first time?!?!

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I mean what are the odds that they didn’t measure the road signs as well as the trees? That’s dangerous and foolish, and no one would do something like that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, they’re gonna need a tougher saw, but I’m certain their previous approach will still work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I do geotechnical and environmental drilling so I deal with utility locates pretty much daily.

One would think that 'call before you dig' would not be so difficult to get across to people but so many of these companies are operating on such slim to non-existent profit margins for these jobs that they will still try to get us to come out to jobs where 'its in a big field, there are no utilities out there don't worry about it. We'll take responsibility for any strikes if we do hit something we just need this job done tomorrow. '

Like bitch that call before you dig poo poo is fuckin free! gently caress off with that poo poo!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Coxswain Balls posted:

loving staggering, can't wait until tomorrow when they get the house lodged in a huge pickle jar

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Gonna be great when we learn its ultimate destination is a 200sqft lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Gonna be great when we learn its ultimate destination is a 200sqft lot

They'll just cut down all the surrounding houses.