Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
From Deadpool Black, White, & Blood #1:

James Stokoe drawing a man/bear hybrid driving a giant tank? Yes please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stokoe’s doing interiors on a marvel book?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was only like 12 pages for a mini story

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't have time just now to dig out images, but you might want to search for The Heroes Union, which is dropping from Binge Comics this month. Layouts by Ron Frenz, inking and finishing by Sal loving Buscema.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Chinston Wurchill posted:

From Deadpool Black, White, & Blood #1:

James Stokoe drawing a man/bear hybrid driving a giant tank? Yes please.

Not just ANY man-bear hybrid. Noted butthead separatist Ursa Major...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is that a Pouch Tank?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jedit posted:

I don't have time just now to dig out images, but you might want to search for The Heroes Union, which is dropping from Binge Comics this month. Layouts by Ron Frenz, inking and finishing by Sal loving Buscema.

I own a couple of pages inked by Sal, they're lovely.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

ruddiger posted:

Stokoe’s doing interiors on a marvel book?

He also did the main story in one of the Heroes Reborn issues recently where Rocket Raccoon fights Doctor Spectrum in space. Then there was that Secret Wars tie in where he did a short story where alt universe Juggernaut and Silver Surfer fight, and there’s a rather terrifying looking Galactus. I think there was Moon Knight story over the last couple years as well.

That Deadpool special had some great art. Noto and Stokoe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I found an interior page from The Heroes Union, which dropped last week as it turns out:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

BiggerBoat posted:

^^^alcohol^^^

Here's a page by page breakdown of a Sienkiewicz New Mutants book

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6n03LrflT8

I never get tired of looking at this guy's stuff and how creative he is. He breaks a lot of rules but is the textbook example of having to know the rules first. Nothing he does would work without him actually knowing how to draw and the results are just fantastic.

Even when he fails, the stuff is still just so loving fun to look at.

Edit:

Guys like Kirby, Romita, Sr. and even Frank Miller's early stuff are other perfect examples of this too. I'm forgetting a few artists here as well but the difference is as vast as the gap between what some of these guys do and what, say, Liefeld does where "breaking anatomy" doesn't work if you can't draw in the classic traditional sense already. John Buscema, Alex Ross and Neal Adams are fantastic but having everything look like that gets boring. On the opposite end, you get your Liefelds and McFarlanes where everything is just all "action" because you can feel the fact that Rob and Todd REALLY LOVE drawing this poo poo, except it's still not good. Or Jim Lee, who I like, but whose work isn't improved with more lines. Miller's stuff in particular is better with fewer lines. All the skinny pens in the world don't make a bad drawing good.

People rag on Ramos but you can tell he knows how to draw similar to John Buscema if he wanted to do that. He just layered an exaggerated graffiti style on top of it, for better of worse.

It's strange how often comic art critics (like myself) ignore a lot of the lessons of art history, how often rules were broken centuries ago and how reluctant we are to accept new ideas. And I think a measure of it is unique to American audiences too - taste wise anyway - to where everything has to look real and to american Comic Book connoisseurs in particular.

Traditional anatomy, perspective and even lighting and contrast are not everything but you HAVE to know them, like learning chords in music or physics in architecture. The idea being that I can start with a hosed up drawing of Wolverine but I can ink my way out of it or color my way out of it or cross hatch my way out of it just means you can't draw but comics allow it. Everyone look at Bernie Wrightson for How to Add a Million Lines.

It's a rather "I'll fix it in post" sort of thing but the layout has to work FIRST.

It's a LOT like the practical effects vs CGI argument in film and like adding starbursts, drop shadows, Photoshop filters and gradients onto basic magazine, business card, or postcard layouts or on top of a "logo", where noise is only added because one can. Or how musicians will "fix" bad songwriting or recording with Pro Tools.

Sorry....I'm an "illustrator/graphic designer" barely making a living as a production artist who fixes graphic designers' art in ways that make it print and who moonlights on evenings and weekends re-doing other illustrators' and cartoonists' stuff to make it look better so I have strong opinions on this stuff.

Just felt like writing and apparently have things on my mind so here, thread. Have some chum.

I don't have quite as much to say but I'll agree with all of your points in general. I've said a bunch in this thread how Sienkiewicz is such a goddamn master that it almost pisses me off how he can illustrate a graphic novel or comic or series of portraits with seemingly 20 different styles, but he still makes everything beautiful and cohesive. His psychedelic experimental stuff looks as awesome as one of the luminescent portraits he does on social media. And it can't be stated enough how you need to know the fundamentals before pulling off that kind of stylization. Walk before you run, and all those other cliches.

I used to be a game art/modeling/illustration instructor at a local 2-year college and as such, a lot of my students were into manga/anime, which I hated. I'm not going to go into any anti-manga rant, it has plenty of merit and is an enormous art form in its own right, it's just not for me. I mainly disliked how they'd try to turn drawing or digital sculpting exercises into some cutesy anime caricature (as in, don't put a kawaii face on a figure drawing of an in-class model). I just tried to impart to them that all of the manga artists that they were inspired by learned fundamentals and could do representational art before they got into stylization, otherwise it looks like the dreadful DeviantArt poo poo being done by 10-year-olds or something.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

and that’s kid’s back again! Wtf?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

This rules.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah don’t know what OP’s feelings on that art is but imo it’s all great-to-serviceable

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
That kid (Elsie Dee) is a recurring supporting character in Larry Hama's Wolverine for at least a year or three.

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Is he attached to the Stealth Express of Doom by his nipple?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Nice flares you goon.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

There oughta be a law preventing 90s Wolfsbane and Feral from appearing in the same panel.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Strong Guy always looks like an oversized baby to me. I have to assume that's completely intentional.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Strong Guy always looks like an oversized baby to me. I have to assume that's completely intentional.

I know a dude IRL who is proportioned like a baby but he's also 6'4" so it's like, extremely weird.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Nice flares you goon.

Is this bad art because of period-appropriate pant legs?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Yeah don’t know what OP’s feelings on that art is but imo it’s all great-to-serviceable

You can keep it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Lobok posted:

Is this bad art because of period-appropriate pant legs?

Yes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My favorite thing in that X-Force picture is how there's a dimension issue on Wolverine's claws that makes it look like they don't extend out at all, and in fact he doesn't have claws, just white knuckle fins.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Canuck'll knuckle ya.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

theironjef posted:

My favorite thing in that X-Force picture is how there's a dimension issue on Wolverine's claws that makes it look like they don't extend out at all, and in fact he doesn't have claws, just white knuckle fins.

The whole drawing is poo poo and gets shittier the more one looks at it. It's better than Liefeld but is "Liefeldian" in the way that it's emblematic of the Marvel House Style the company mandated everyone adapt in the wake of his sales and popularity.

Within that framework of criticism, it's...OK...but so much of that 90's EXTREME style is just noise on a page to me. There's no pacing to that style either; nothing that gives it any contrast to work off of. Everything is either a posed cover or a splash page. I mean, sure, there's definitely a sense of action to a lot of it that's hard to deny but that's about all I can say for it.

Except EVERY PAAAGGGGEEEE doesn't need to be action oriented. Especially since you can't really follow probably 75% of said action. Two seated characters discussing plot points and maguffins over coffee in a secret headquarters with security screens on the walls don't need to be gritting their teeth, posing with long flowing pony tails, hot red eye lasers and cradling weird looking guns or swords. It's the whole "there's no light without dark" or "no noise without silence" thing that illustrators and film makers learn early on in art school.

90's comic book art is like the film Battlefield Earth where every scene uses dutch angles and lens wipes for transitions. If your whole movie is like that, then none of that poo poo achieves anything. In fact, it makes things worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That specific issue of X-Force has a page where Greg Capullo draws Cable loading up on weapons that is quite amazing. It definitely takes Liefeldian to the extreme.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Why are you comparing Capullo to Liefeld when he's basically McFarlane 2.0?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

What's up with melty face Wolvy on top? I distinctly remember having a toy of him but I don't think I've ever seen a comic featuring him until this very picture.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He is Albert, a Wolverine robot built to kill the original.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

goatface posted:

He is Albert, a Wolverine robot built to kill the original.

Of all the responses I could have gotten, I never thought 'He is Albert' would be one of them.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not 100% sure it's true.

f.e. - No, it is: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Wolverine_Vol_2_40

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Tag yourself i’m the x-boob

Larry Stroman is a pro follow on Facebook. He posts some awesome stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bill Sienkiewicz is a good one too. He draws lots of celebrities or fellow creators after they pass which is neat, but also will post con sketches and stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Codependent Poster posted:

Why are you comparing Capullo to Liefeld when he's basically McFarlane 2.0?

Which makes it even more hilarious that right after Marvel hired him to be McFarlane 2.0, McFarlane poached him to draw Spawn.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Obviously most artists' styles change a hell of a lot over, like 20-30 years, but modern Silvestri looks so different from back then. I don't know the story behind these covers, they look like they're pencils before inks, but his shading style now reminds me more of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein penwork.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Zoben posted:

Obviously most artists' styles change a hell of a lot over, like 20-30 years, but modern Silvestri looks so different from back then. I don't know the story behind these covers, they look like they're pencils before inks, but his shading style now reminds me more of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein penwork.

That cover kicks rear end

I chalk it up to The Marvel House Style where they mandated that everyone try to ape Liefeld and McFarlane. Herb Trimpe, for example, was never that great to begin with IMO but good lord was his poo poo just god awful in the 90's . I think he said in an interview somewhere that he was basically forced to draw that way and didn't care for it but found it really easy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

One of his kids recently said that was a rumor and Trimpe simply updated his style on his own because marvel literally just stopped calling him for work.

E: if you haven’t read Trimpe’s diary entries written at the time of his marvel firing, it’s loving heartbreaking.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/national/010900edlife-56-edu.html?hc_location=ufi

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 18, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it's a still from an anime but nevertheless

https://twitter.com/Speed_Stat/status/1427431063891189764

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

ruddiger posted:

One of his kids recently said that was a rumor and Trimpe simply updated his style on his own because marvel literally just stopped calling him for work.

E: if you haven’t read Trimpe’s diary entries written at the time of his marvel firing, it’s loving heartbreaking.

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/national/010900edlife-56-edu.html?hc_location=ufi

Jesus Christ.