Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I got one of those criminally expensive Modcat top-style boxes. Stupid amount of money to pay for a poop bucket but it did cut down on litter getting over every inch of my life.

Sinjin also has those big toe tufts that soak up litter crumbs like little fluffy sponges. I trimmed one of them down while he was sleeping but he woke up before I could get the rest. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Finally got a new comforter because our old one had been pissed on so many times. Two nights ago Prinny hopped up and more or less pissed on my wife as she slept. Changing her box was literally less than ten minutes away when she did that. Somehow between the upholstery cleaner and Resolve foam, it doesn't smell rank yet.

I love my cats but sometimes they frustrate me.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ drat, I must be doing pretty good in my game of Cat Russian Roulette... Both of mine are random stray rescues and neither have ever had any issues with using their boxes or tearing stuff up. ~Relatively~ good cats.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I have a covered litter box with a little plastic door, and Nona still somehow gets litter everywhere, I think it sticks to her paws or something.

Every once in a while I'll come in to find an actual pile of litter in front of one of their boxes. I think every once in a while they get turned around just right so they're holding the door open while they kick sand back behind them and right out onto the floor :mad:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Aug 8, 2021

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Takes No Damage posted:

Every once in a while I'll come in to find an actual pile of litter in front of one of their boxes. I think every once in a while they get turned around just right so they're holding the door open while they kick sand back behind them and right out onto the floor :mad:

Mine do that, mainly when I've just changed the litter. Go in head first, hold the door open with their tail, and scrabble disapprovingly in the fresh litter. Far too smooth, they think, needs a good old dig before we can use it.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Any suggestions for good toys for burning out the kitten? We play with her for hours every day and have 3 scratching posts, but she still scratches the doors and wall constantly and gets in to things so much that we can’t let her free roam and basically have to babysit her any time she is out of the bathroom (kept that as her home base since adopting her). She’s 3 months old, so I’m sure a lot of this is to be expected but I’d like to have something that keeps her active for the times we are gone or when we can’t keep a constant eye on her. We have bought about 15 of those little plastic springs and she goes wild for them, however somehow we only have one left, even after searching behind all the furniture and under the radiators. I have no idea where she has knocked and stashed them.

Please don’t say get another cat. I can’t afford the vet bills for a second cat.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I have some bad news for you, because as humans we'll never have the energy to keep up with a kitten. You can either get another kitten, spend a small fortune on toys she'll get bored of or lose, or give up and keep them in a kitten-proofed section of the home that either cannot get wrecked or don't mind getting wrecked. They will outgrow this stage, but until they do it'll will be exhausting.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Fair enough, I’ll just keep buying springs because they seem to be the only thing that keeps her entertained for a long period of time. Luckily they are 35 cents.

Once we finish house renovations I’m sure we will find a spring repository somewhere.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's the obvious answer but nothing exhausts my cats like a good feather-on-a-string sesh. We've tried a bunch and they like some more than others so keep trying until you find the one that makes them make that noise that you never hear them make. The one we have has been decimated but for whatever reason the less feathers there are remaining the harder they go for it. Fuckin' cats, man.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Along the lines of litter box chat, because we've tried so many things for our mild CH cat who flings litter for sport and legitimately makes frighteningly large messes - this box was a life-changer:

https://thegratelitterbox.com/

Highly recommended for anyone looking to reduce mess.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I have the problem of my foster cat scratching things into the litter box, not kicking stuff out. He'll scratch anything within about 2ft of the tray - walls, carpets, shelves with the Cat Stuff on - but not the actual litter. I've had to pick the poop scoop and the pan of a dustpan and brush set out of the tray before. At first I put a towel on the floor under the tray in case of accidents, but his favourie trick was to kick it over the top of the tray, then pee on the floor because the litter tray was covered. And, because he has hyperthyroidism, there is a lot of pee.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Thats a cat. My cat does the same thing. The only real solution is having a deep litter bed, and to make sure the area around said poop spot is clear of anything draggable.

This is instinctual cleaning behavior, do better poop miester.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat is a bit of a dum-dum who satisfies her instincts by pawing wildly at the side of the bucket, while often forgetting to actually bury the poop. At least she doesn't fling litter this way...

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

pidan posted:

My cat is a bit of a dum-dum who satisfies her instincts by pawing wildly at the side of the bucket, while often forgetting to actually bury the poop. At least she doesn't fling litter this way...

See, Princess thinks she's Queen poo poo on a Stick, so she refuses to bury! This is especially fun given that her box is in our bedroom lest she use our bed instead.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My foster kitten just ate a fly like a champ.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

mcmagic posted:

My foster kitten just ate a fly like a champ.

Hell yeah I was so happy when my foster kitten eviscerated a wolf spider for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The part that interests me about housecats and bugs is that one of our cats loves to go outside on a leash. In the house, any time a fly or a spider shows up it's defcon 5 and she's gotta smack the thing around and gnaw on it until it stops moving. But when outside, she doesn't give a gently caress about bugs. Ants crawling around, flies buzzing, bees on flowers, she doesn't give a poo poo about any of that.

I see two possible interpretations: in the house she's bored and will take any action she can get. Or outside there's so much to see and smell there just isn't time to mess with bugs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Well do YOU go after all the bugs you see outside? But if theres a bug inside what do you do

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've watched my rear end in a top hat cat run in fear from an ant that turned in his direction.

I tried the teamwork thing once where I picked him up and moved him towards a spider in the ceiling and he ignores the spider entirely

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My 14 pound shithead will bat a dead fly (or mouse) around on the floor for like 10 mins and then walk away. This 2lb fluffball put the thing down in 2 seconds lol.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I've watched Harold sit there and just look at a moth lazily that landed on his paw, right by his face, then sit there for a few moments. Then it fluttered off again and he resumed snoozing. Meanwhile if I even gently pat his paw he tucks it right under himself. :mad:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

The part that interests me about housecats and bugs is that one of our cats loves to go outside on a leash. In the house, any time a fly or a spider shows up it's defcon 5 and she's gotta smack the thing around and gnaw on it until it stops moving. But when outside, she doesn't give a gently caress about bugs. Ants crawling around, flies buzzing, bees on flowers, she doesn't give a poo poo about any of that.

I see two possible interpretations: in the house she's bored and will take any action she can get. Or outside there's so much to see and smell there just isn't time to mess with bugs.

Kind of. I think it has something to do with territory - they know the house and consider it theirs, but then when they're outside, it's new and they need to be cautious and explore it. Hunting no longer becomes their focus (unless they're outdoor cats and know the area well).

I remember one of my cats staring intently at a bunny out on the lawn. I decided the open the door and see what he would do. He tentatively went out a few steps - and then flopped down and started rolling all over the concrete patio. The bunny wasn't even scared enough to stop eating, let alone run away.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Ugh, we have a cat-guest who is driving me crazy. He's a 3-year-old male named Sachi, and he seems to feel that it is acceptable to hop onto the headboard of my bed several times throughout the night and meow loudly inches from my head - and this boy has a loud meow.

As if that weren't enough, he also repeatedly comes downstairs when I'm on the treadmill drinking my coffee and listening to my podcasts/audiobooks in the morning hours before the rest of the house wakes up - this is like, my sacred peaceful time where I usually just have Jackie and Mini-Scratcher hanging out with me, my good respectful and mostly silent friends. Sachi comes down and meows REALLY loudly and continuously like I'm going to let him out (which I'm not allowed to do) and will not relent unless I physically take him and place him on the stairs and tell him to gently caress off :psyduck:

But I have to do that at least half a dozen times every morning, and it gets really tiresome. Upsets Jackie and Mini, too. Messes with the delicate balance of cat relationships and territories that exist amongst the 4 cats who usually live here. Introduce a fifth - even for a brief time - and everything kinda goes to poo poo. He's a perfectly nice cat and I'm sure might even be a great cat under other circumstances, but I'm going to be extremely happy to see him go back home soon. His dad was in Japan at the Olympics for climbing though, which is pretty neat.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

See, this is why when you cat-sit, you go to THEIR house and feed them + clean the litterbox, not add their cat to your house's mix.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

See, this is why when you cat-sit, you go to THEIR house and feed them + clean the litterbox, not add their cat to your house's mix.

Yeah, our house is sort of like... a cat vacation spot, in our community of friends? My roommate is extremely fond of cats and basically encourages it, for better or worse. Usually people just bring their cats up with them when they visit on occasion, it's rare that we cat-sit in a situation like this. Generally speaking I'd say you're right, though.

And this absolutely is a wonderful place for cats, I mean, it's a big house up in the Rockies at 9000 feet, there's a huge partially forested yard of several acres, completely enclosed by a mesh fence that's very difficult for all but the strongest and wiliest cats to get past. Big lovely impeccably clean house filled with lots of cat-friendly stuff, too. Jackie's definitely living her very best possible life here, which is truly great to see. She actually looks younger, healthier (and definitely much less fat) in the 9 months since she got here, despite turning 15 soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dorium posted:

our poor cat somehow caught ring worm on her ear so now we're treating her with a bath every week and applying the solution to her ear each time that smells like rotten eggs. so that's been a fun experience. still no clue how she's caught it, but she's got it so we gotta deal with it. I'm fully expecting our other cat:

to catch it eventually. we tried for a few days separating them from each other, but our apartment is small and we dont have many rooms to dedicate to just one of them and they B-line straight for each other no matter what. An impossible task at this point. bleh, this rotten egg smell has pretty much taken over our bathroom. its awful, but Simply Green seems to knock it back pretty well and lighting a stick or two of incense after each session...

goddamn ring worms.

I don't know how well it'll contend with that smell specifically, but try putting a small open bowl of vinegar in the room for a while. It does a drat good job of eating some noxious lingering odors like ducttape.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

I love the smell of duct tape. Lighting a match or three might help too, the sulfur smell is effective. Incense too, that's what we use when prin has a nasty poo poo in the room box.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

And this absolutely is a wonderful place for cats, I mean, it's a big house up in the Rockies at 9000 feet, there's a huge partially forested yard of several acres, completely enclosed by a mesh fence that's very difficult for all but the strongest and wiliest cats to get past.

A catio consisting of an entirely fenced in yard is one of the only reasons I want to own a home someday. But what kind of mesh fence could any cat not climb straight up the second you turn your back?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

She never actually tries to escape but this puts my mind at ease. If she manages to get out through this, she was meant to be free.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I got my stupid cat a wheel. She is afraid of it, more so than running water.

Meanwhile due to window and facade repairs, I cannot have an AC. Thus I must hire an in house groomer to come and shave her down. The second time this summer.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
We are losing our grumpy 17 year old butthead boy cat this Friday and I can feel I'm going to be a mess.

He had always been a sneezer, but about 6 months ago he started sneezing *a lot* and we went through the antibiotic treadmill. He'd get better then get worse again. He stopped eating treats (probably because he couldn't smell them), and this cat was the most food-oriented cat I've ever known. Vet informs us that he's gone mostly deaf.

Then about a week ago we noticed a bump at the top of his nose. Xray shows a growth in his sinus. Apparently the poor guy has a cancerous tumor spreading from his sinus into the front of his head (probably causing the deafness, too). Lump is visibly getting larger day over day.

So we contacted our mobile vet, and she's going to come out and euthanize him Friday. Husband wants to hold him during the procedure; he'll be a loving mess for days, if not weeks.

drat loveable cat. I'm going to miss him. :(

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so sorry for your loss. May he cross the rainbow bridge in peace. :smith:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
That loving sucks, sorry for you loss.

17 years is a drat long good life, at least, and he'll be leaving surrounded by the people that love him.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
OOF Size: Large, but yeah hopefully having it done at home will be more peaceful. My sister had to put her dog down a few years ago from lung cancer, we looked at home euthanasia but he had been to the chemo office so often he was used to being there so they did it in-office. Still a bummer but at least 17 years is a good long run.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We tried to do an at home rainbow bridge earlier this year and the doctor we found would only do it if we muzzled the cat.

gently caress off, she's 19 and has lost all ability to walk. She ain't gonna bite you.

So we went with our normal vet and it went about as well as it could.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Update: got her in the carrier but even after the gabapentin she fought like a devil and scratched the poo poo out of my hands, ah peridot.

Ended up grabbing her halfway across the house from the carrier and holding her like in this video, carrying her yowling and biting to drop her into the carrier:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcofDj-pPA

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I don't *think* she got me properly with a proper deep bite, I think it's only relatively shallow scratches, but I'm also still finding new places she got me so I'm keeping an eye out.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Organza Quiz posted:

Update: got her in the carrier but even after the gabapentin she fought like a devil and scratched the poo poo out of my hands, ah peridot.

Ended up grabbing her halfway across the house from the carrier and holding her like in this video, carrying her yowling and biting to drop her into the carrier:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hdcofDj-pPA

I’ve got a cat like that. That’s why cat burritos are your friend. That video is…weird.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll 2nd that video is weird.

"Uncooperative" is like, putting arms out and making things difficult to go into the carrier and a far cry from trying to rip your arm off to get away. Milly is uncooperative and just whines and makes things difficult but doesn't want me dead.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Can't burrito a cat who violently doesn't want to be burritoed.

Can grab a cat by front paws and back paws and drop them in a carrier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Just get those chain gloves vets use and grab them without fear.