Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
State media have also published a number of videos with Middle-Eastern looking people who appear to have perforating bullet wounds. Obviously, hard to tell from the videos if the people are actually Iraqi refugees, whether the wounds are real, and if so, who shot them, and what guns were used. The official Belarusian version is that Lithuanians shoot at the people who try to illegally enter the country. My understanding is it's at least plausible in that Lithuanian border control are allowed to use weapons in certain situations to prevent illegal crossing. However, it's as possible that they were shot by Belarusian soldiers when they tried to illegally cross back to Belarus, which is Lithuania's position, from what I've read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If Lithuanian border guard rules are the same as ours (95% chance they are), then, if I recall my uncle’s stories correctly - him being a senior Latvian border guard officer, the only situation where the guards are allowed to shoot without extensive warnings is if they get surprised by ambushers using weapons or attempting to run them over with vehicles. In every other situation you have to give several warning and take any other possible steps to not risk criminal charges for discharging the firearm.

Considering that Lithuania-Belarus border has been reinforced with numerous Frontex guards, including patrol duty, I would be really surprised if anyone there is comfortable as much as looking past the book rules. If I had to speculate, the gunshot stuff is paid actors (or more of Lukashenko’s signature cruelty). The beaten up guy story however, albeit also an easy provocation, is substantially more plausible since you can’t really audit spent fists, and Frontex is not without spots on reputation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They've shown the corpse now.

Obviously, :nws:.
https://t.me/mediazona_by/5430

The video shows massive hematomas on arms and some less visible on lower body. The news anchor says, 'you don't have to be an expert to see that these wounds are lethal'. Would be interesting to see what actual experts can gather from all this.

E: And this is the video of other immigrants with various visible traumas. The post lists gun wounds, dog bytes, and blunt traumas. Again, :nws:
https://t.me/sputnikby/13035

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Aug 4, 2021

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They're doing pushbacks in Greece as well, it would be absolutely unsurprising if Frontex was doing them here as well.

We're losing our humanity at a terrifying speed.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://news.err.ee/1608297255/former-defense-minister-lukashenko-will-go-further-with-lithuania

quote:

Leader of Belarus Aleksander Lukashenko is implementing a classical hybrid war on Lithuania, and is trying to escalate the situation even further, diplomat and former Minister of Defense Jüri Luik (Isamaa), said in an interview given to the ETV's current news show "Aktuaalne kaamera" Tuesday.

Luik noted that there is a serious security crisis in Lithuania, which in essence is a hybrid war that Lukashenko has started against Lithuania, and more broadly against all three Baltic states and the EU as a whole.

"This example of hybrid warfare, which Lukashenko is implementing currently, is a classical hybrid type where all possible measures, starting from mass immigration and propaganda, are used," Luik said.

"All the various measures are being used, while at the same time, Lukashenko is trying to interpret it as an immigration crisis, not a hybrid war and is trying to provoke the international public and nations from the Middle East even more. He has said himself that these videos, which he has sent about the Lithuanian border guards will be sent back to Iraq and elsewhere and this should agitate these nations even more and as Lukashenko said, they might send their armed units to protect their people," Luik said.

In Luik's estimation, this demonstrates that Lukashenko wants to further escalate the situation. "Obviously, it's a situation that Lukashenko is planning to escalate. He himself has nothing to lose, he has put all into play to harm the EU so that the union turns into a force that doesn't protect its values, but which doesn't protect the Belarusians. So in that sense, Lukashenko has started this kind of a hybrid campaign," Luik said.

Luik said that the EU needs to show support to Lithuania and has done it. "In my opinion, the EU has reacted well in the sense that it has stood behind Lithuania accepting that it's a hybrid conflict. This is essentially very important. And the EU through its representatives who have been at that border, has promised significant help for Lithuania, and this help will definitely come," Luik said.

Luik said that whether NATO should intervene has to be decided by Lithuania itself.

"Lithuania is a member of NATO. If Lithuania thinks that NATO would have a role in this conflict, then they should talk about it. Currently, Lithuania is operating with mainly police forces and through the EU. But we don't know where is the conflict heading because as we know, the Russian military exercise Zapad is starting, and is also taking place on Belarusian territory. This adds a certain risk element."

Jüri Luik is now Estonia's ambassador to NATO

So a hybrid war against the Baltic states and the EU, and Zapad is right around the corner.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
It's highly unlikely that Lithuania would shoot as it is bound by EU laws and desperately needs the EU's help, any sign of atrocities and souring of EU public opinion would mean that it's on its own. Right now it is in a good position, has been accepting people that do come through and appears as a victim of aggression, shooting unarmed people would nullify that. In addition, shooting at the border could provoke a larger conflict with the troops of Belarus in addition to being propaganda fodder (why would they leave a corpse for the Belarusians to find)

Edit: thought of another one: shooting five guys will have enormous political costs and will just encourage Lukashenka to send more people

Basically all our media and our officials are commenting that "we must avoid the use of weapons and wait for EU's help"

It's much more likely that the people who were turned away after being promised they would get into the EU easily would get beaten by the human traffickers after having to go back and confront them, I mean the Belarusian police was doing it to its own citizens last year

Somaen fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Aug 4, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

It's highly unlikely that Lithuania would shoot as it is bound by EU laws and desperately needs the EU's help, any sign of atrocities and souring of EU public opinion would mean that it's on its own. Right now it is in a good position, has been accepting people that do come through and appears as a victim of aggression, shooting unarmed people would nullify that. In addition, shooting at the border could provoke a larger conflict with the troops of Belarus in addition to being propaganda fodder (why would they leave a corpse for the Belarusians to find)

Edit: thought of another one: shooting five guys will have enormous political costs and will just encourage Lukashenka to send more people

Basically all our media and our officials are commenting that "we must avoid the use of weapons and wait for EU's help"

It's much more likely that the people who were turned away after being promised they would get into the EU easily would get beaten by the human traffickers after having to go back and confront them, I mean the Belarusian police was doing it to its own citizens last year

Lithuania does turn back anyone illegally crossing the border starting this week if they are intercepted close to the border, regardless of whether they try to request the refugee status. It is not entirely impossible that border guards had to/chose to use weapons in an altercation, I suppose, but so far there is no real evidence provided by Lukashenko.

As it turns out, the dead Iraqi man is said to have been found by a local, a retired military colonel to the area, whose son is a border guard. It does smell extremely fishy to say the least.

E: NEXTA's just published a phone call recording where allegedly a pro-Lukashenko activist from the White Russia organisation says that the protest they held today at the Lithuanian embassy in Minsk was ordered by some higher ups even before any reports about the dead Iraqi man, at 8PM yesterday. He also says they work closely with KGB to organise protest events like that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABi98EV9OtM

E2: What's also really strange to me in all that is that Iraq barely reacts to the situation. They had some meetings with Lithuanian officials several moths ago, and promised collaborate, but I don't think they made any official statements after that. Surely, a death of their citizen would warrant some reaction?

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 4, 2021

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And just as I was typing the last edit, it seems Iraq is now cancelling all flights to Belarus, according to the EU ambassador to Iraq. Although, there is still no official statement from the Iraqi government itself.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 4, 2021

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vasukhani posted:

I missed the "with us" so I reported this, pls ignore.

I think the EU should just encourage your exit strongly so people can get a good idea about how viable Poland is without the Brussels homocommiefacists

it'll be like it is with the UK: really bad but not enough to actually make the dickheads think they made a mistake

we're about to have actual food shortages in the UK and absolutely no brexiter is thinking 'lol maybe we shouldn't have left that giant trade block that also has lots of drivers who can freely travel within our borders to deliver food'

the only people that would think that didn't vote leave.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

Lithuania does turn back anyone illegally crossing the border starting this week if they are intercepted close to the border, regardless of whether they try to request the refugee status. It is not entirely impossible that border guards had to/chose to use weapons in an altercation, I suppose, but so far there is no real evidence provided by Lukashenko.

We might find quickly out thanks to everyone having a phone and if any osint researchers pay attention
https://mobile.twitter.com/Den_2042/status/1422848458965331968

No shooting videos so far but maybe something will come out

quote:

E2: What's also really strange to me in all that is that Iraq barely reacts to the situation. They had some meetings with Lithuanian officials several moths ago, and promised collaborate, but I don't think they made any official statements after that. Surely, a death of their citizen would warrant some reaction?

It's a country of 40 million people that deals with internal terrorism among other problems, if a few thousand people want to try to leave and have a go at a better life in the EU who is going to care? I'm pretty sure our foreign minister was laughed at there when he came there without something to offer and expected someone to solve his problems for free. This cancellation of flights for 10 days is 100% EU pressure

Somaen fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 4, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
the combat gays are now running for office!

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1423014828612931594

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.politico.eu/article/poland-rule-of-law-eu-legal-battle/

Largely unsurprisingly, Poland is backing down from their judiciary reform bullshit, casting it as a win by saying “EU bad”.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Context - political pre-elections banner for ruling party with another corrupt idiot with a surname "Zageev" (За геев can be translated as "for the gays" and is generally used as gay supporter).

The only candidate out of Партия Жуликов и Воров that can be voted for.
And than :guillotine: among the rest of them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

39-35-87 border crossing incidents from Belarus into Latvia in the past 3 days respectively, we’re declaring a state of emergency.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

39-35-87 border crossing incidents from Belarus into Latvia in the past 3 days respectively, we’re declaring a state of emergency.

Over 300 in the last 3 days for Poland, too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Total number of people who crossed Latvian border unlawfully in 2019 was 52, and half of that volume was on the account of an organised flow of Vietnamese nationals. The flow eventually got choked from the Russian side, and they’re now trying other routes. They wouldn’t even try to seek asylum - once they learned about how fun Latvian detention centres for arrivals’ identification are, they began to cross our border with passports and enough cash to book themselves a plane home.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Can you explain why this is happening? Are they just trying to spite Latvia?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nitrox posted:

something like that. Belarus' neighbor states are among the strongest supporters of the opposition, and significant advocates of EU sanctions. Lukashenko has some thought that this will annoy them enough that they'll back down, but IMO 80% spite

ed: overall the belarusian plan to discourage sanctions is going _very well_ https://twitter.com/HannaLiubakova/status/1424734391511748615

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 9, 2021

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nitrox posted:

I don’t have a solid explanation, and no one in local politics seems to have one either. I would be wholly unsurprised if this is a belated “warning shot” to deter Latvia from continuing to provide assistance to Lithuania or Belarus IT entrepreneurs seeking to relocate their companies into EU. Could be a number of other things, like them considering to pound us now, or some senior apparatchik just flexing at the northern border.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Turkey not to long ago realized it could use its border position to basically adjust the flow of refugees in order to send neighbors into crisis while their far right anti-immigrant groups made them look like hypocrits

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's a way of moving target countries to the right bc western societies can't seem to come up with a way of dealing with refugees that isn't cranking the brutality dial

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1424734523519025152

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i was prepared to roll my eyes at severe hyperbole, but if this stuff is legit then i don't think they're exaggerating by using those terms. still, it's got to be supremely embarrassing for the government, but i wonder if it actually lead to anything

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was prepared to roll my eyes at severe hyperbole, but if this stuff is legit then i don't think they're exaggerating by using those terms. still, it's got to be supremely embarrassing for the government, but i wonder if it actually lead to anything

The government are just not going to acknowledge it, or will try to understate the scale of the hack. They've been doing this for an entire year now. Considering Lukashenko doesn't trust anyone but the police and the army anymore, and his understanding of anything to do with computers is severely lacking, if the generals tell him it's all fake, he might not even realise what a massive security breach this is. It's a perfect self-perpetuating system!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

On one hand - that is loving massive

on the other - let's take a long, hard look at the history of things mattering...

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t have a solid explanation, and no one in local politics seems to have one either. I would be wholly unsurprised if this is a belated “warning shot” to deter Latvia from continuing to provide assistance to Lithuania or Belarus IT entrepreneurs seeking to relocate their companies into EU. Could be a number of other things, like them considering to pound us now, or some senior apparatchik just flexing at the northern border.

If this investigation by reform.by is true, (https://reform.by/243337-kto-stoit-za-potokom-migrantov-iz-belarusi-v-litvu-rassledovanie-reform-by) looks like a significant amount of people coming from the planes avoid the police and go to the border themselves, some of them analyzed where people were getting caught and chose areas which seemed to be easier to pass, all this without working with any traffickers. Not to say that Belarussian forces aren't involved, but it's possible that groups of migrants realized they won't get through Lithuania and are trying their luck passing through Poland and Latvia and this won't become as systematic as it was with Lithuania. In any case the borders are getting reinforced, flights from Iraq stopped and are taking people back to Iraq from Minsk, looks like this won't continue

Yesterday a whole bunch of sanctions were placed on the Belarussian economy and connected oligarchs, looks pretty bad for him. He also had a 9 hour conference, were there any pee breaks

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Yesterday a whole bunch of sanctions were placed on the Belarussian economy and connected oligarchs, looks pretty bad for him. He also had a 9 hour conference, were there any pee breaks

No, it was non-stop pissing and moaning for all 9 hours.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The Lithianian and Polish borders are useful as illegal crossings for a very limited time. The forrests consist of tall trees and shrubs and when they loose their leaves late September, anyone will stick out. Later in the winter, the temperature falls down to -30 C or you get waist high snow or both.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Early elections in Poland here we go! (pis let go of a coalition partner)

I’m taking bets.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Early elections in Poland here we go! (pis let go of a coalition partner)

I’m taking bets.

I’ll just blindly hope that Tuskminator takes Sejm by storm. Please don’t tell me how microscopic the odds of that actually are.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

aaaand done and dusted. 228 for and 216 against. they had to re-do and buy the votes from Confederacy dimwits to get what they wanted. jesus loving christ this is beyond the pale

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Somaen posted:

What the gently caress is it with dictators and ludicrously long, rambling press conferences? Have any leaders from liberal democracies been known to do such a thing?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cugel the Clever posted:

What the gently caress is it with dictators and ludicrously long, rambling press conferences? Have any leaders from liberal democracies been known to do such a thing?

Normally, there is no point doing that in non-authoritarian countries, because independent or opposition journalists normally have access to all key government figures basically whenever they appear in public. One counter-example that comes to mind is Zelenskyi, I guess. His first press conference was held at some shopping centre and was several hours long.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Normally, there is no point doing that in non-authoritarian countries, because independent or opposition journalists normally have access to all key government figures basically whenever they appear in public. One counter-example that comes to mind is Zelenskyi, I guess. His first press conference was held at some shopping centre and was several hours long.

If you listen to the Russian media, he's basically Hitler so the theory checks out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

laserghost posted:

aaaand done and dusted. 228 for and 216 against. they had to re-do and buy the votes from Confederacy dimwits to get what they wanted. jesus loving christ this is beyond the pale

The TVN vote? gently caress.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

No one's going to tell them they look like a crazy person.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

There’s a lot going on right now. The TVN vote passed, but after the plenary session was ended by another vote. PiS used a legality that doesn’t apply - if a vote was “obviously flawed”, 30 parliamentarians can motion a resumption. This vote wasn’t “obviously flawed”, so somewhere down the line the Sejm marshall Ms. Witek will be seriously legally hosed.

On top of that, the nutsos from Konfederacja did something good for once and somehow appended a regulation that will change how the State Media Control Comission is elected, effectively meaning that from 2022 PiS will loose one of their main tools of controlling state media.

The lexTVN as its known will now go to the senate for 30 days and come back to the Sejm for a second vote. In 30 days, things will be completely different and on top of that PiS might have to scrap the law altogether because of the aforementioned change.

Even if it passes, the law doesn’t change much. TVN can switch the signal to their second news channel, or use an EU permit for satellite stations - they’d lose out on the air bands but who gives a gently caress except your dziadzia na wsi.

And the kicker is the cost for all this nonsense is immense. Poland might loose US troops stationed here and any goodwill from Biden, if there’s any left. The EU will now happily limit Corona financing. Hell, PiS actually lost it’s majority. Madness!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Cugel the Clever posted:

The primary audience is themselves, and for the secondary audience of the people under them, the fact that they can feel free to speak uninterrupted and say absurd, audacious things is itself the message.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Mokotow posted:

And the kicker is the cost for all this nonsense is immense. Poland might loose US troops stationed here and any goodwill from Biden, if there’s any left. The EU will now happily limit Corona financing. Hell, PiS actually lost it’s majority. Madness!

I don't think US will move the troops from Poland - that's also their field of interest - but we will be certainly hosed w/r/t investments here. Like, for example, the possible nuclear power plant project: https://www.energetyka24.com/news-e24-polska-chce-atomowego-tandemu-usa-maja-wspolpracowac-z-francja

https://twitter.com/tygodniknie/status/1425577972824748039