Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
since he refused to say when exactly he could also be lying, but if hes not im agreeing it was probably to do with his recovery after being char broiled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm curious what 'I did it a long time ago" means when the Dad Batch is what, 5 years old at most? Also how did he know about it?

Guess we'll find out next week.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
So, the Empire snatching up the Kaminoan scientists and Rampart’s throwaway line about their cloning tech being under imperial control is meant to explain how there were tubes of Snokes and how Palps came back in Rise of Skywalker, right? I can’t remember if it’s ever explicitly mentioned that Palpatine II was a clone, but I assume he was?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ChadSexington posted:

So, the Empire snatching up the Kaminoan scientists and Rampart’s throwaway line about their cloning tech being under imperial control is meant to explain how there were tubes of Snokes and how Palps came back in Rise of Skywalker, right? I can’t remember if it’s ever explicitly mentioned that Palpatine II was a clone, but I assume he was?

In the movie, it was never mentioned, but i've seen several articles where it confimed that he was. The reason his body was decaying was because it was an imperfect clone, which is why he wanted to transfer himself into Rey, since she was naturally born and contained his genetic code, he figured he could just become Palpatine 1.0 again by possessing her.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Omega’s an ulaltered clone like Boba, so she’s probably 10ish(?), whereas most growth-accelerated clones are probably 3-5 depending on if they were ready to deploy for Geonosis or came later in the war.

I think, maybe my math is off. But either way, yeah, she and Boba would both be older than the rest of the clones.

I think your maths is off by a small amouht. Rex and his cohort are the same age as Omega and Boba, or very close to it. Doubly so what with the Null clones not being a thing anymore..

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
If i had to guess the Kamino cloning stuff will get destroyed or at least damaged or tainted so the Empire won't have proper cloning, which is why Palpatine doesn't have perfect Clones. It could explain what Gideon is doing in the Mandolorian

Like in the Mandolorian Gideon thinks maybe that having force sensitive cells to splice into the clones might help with the cloning. Also this might explain why the scientist that Gideon has wears Kamino symbols on his clothing, the Imperial Cloning kept those icons and he was part of it.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
I thought this was the last episode of the season. That ending left me perched on the edge of my chair. I’m glad I misremembered and that there’s one more episode so they can end on another cliffhanger.:razz:

Also, was it just me or did one of the TK troopers sound a lot like Forest Whittaker?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
"TK421, why aren't you at your post?"

Cant believe I only just twigged to that TK code.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

twistedmentat posted:

If i had to guess the Kamino cloning stuff will get destroyed or at least damaged or tainted so the Empire won't have proper cloning, which is why Palpatine doesn't have perfect Clones. It could explain what Gideon is doing in the Mandolorian
Or like in Rogue One, the captive Kaminoan scientists keep putting vulnerabilities or excuses as to why they cant successfully clone, perhaps reaching a point where by the Mandalorian, no more captive Kaminoan scientists exist and the Empire is just clumsily trying to replicate what they did.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cheesus posted:

Or like in Rogue One, the captive Kaminoan scientists keep putting vulnerabilities or excuses as to why they cant successfully clone, perhaps reaching a point where by the Mandalorian, no more captive Kaminoan scientists exist and the Empire is just clumsily trying to replicate what they did.

Hah imagine if Tarkin by blowing up the archive on Scarif destroyed the empires data base of cloning tech.

I always imagined if Tarkin had lived for a few more days he would have gotten a stern talking to about destroying the empirez data repository.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

twistedmentat posted:

Hah imagine if Tarkin by blowing up the archive on Scarif destroyed the empires data base of cloning tech.

I always imagined if Tarkin had lived for a few more days he would have gotten a stern talking to about destroying the empirez data repository.

It is impressive how much Tarkin was a real deal true believer in the power of the Death Star to rule over everything.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Isn't the Tarkin Doctrine's whole thing overwhelming force? Makes sense he would love a moon-sized, mobile station with a main gun that can blow up planets.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Anita Dickinme posted:

They’re going to capture Crosshair and remove the chip and all live happily ever after… for five minutes until Crosshair reveals he really was loyal to the Empire and the chip had nothing to do with it.

Not completely on the money but still called it. :smug:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Veotax posted:

Isn't the Tarkin Doctrine's whole thing overwhelming force? Makes sense he would love a moon-sized, mobile station with a main gun that can blow up planets.

Tarkin Doctrain was to rule through fear and terror, so blowing up planets that says "um, maybe the empire shouldn't be so evil" would be enough.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dad batch over here getting me all emotional. That episode was even better than last weeks which was a homerun. Goddamn, I don't think I am ready for next week at all.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Veotax posted:

But it isn't like you needed or wanted any other data that was stored in there.

The Death Star can only be in one place at one time and does one thing. It isn't like the US invented the atomic bomb, then casually destroyed the National Archives and Los Alamos. You had other special projects at work. Like... I don't know, a cloaking device that actually works or faster hyperdrives or whatever else Imperial DARPA is working on.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sash! posted:

The Death Star can only be in one place at one time and does one thing. It isn't like the US invented the atomic bomb, then casually destroyed the National Archives and Los Alamos. You had other special projects at work. Like... I don't know, a cloaking device that actually works or faster hyperdrives or whatever else Imperial DARPA is working on.

Bear in mind that if we're extending this analogy, this is the US that decided to nuke, say, Denver because it hosted the caucus for the political party not in power.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Or Salt Lake City because it's a holy city

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sash! posted:

The Death Star along with it's power was very expensive. Rebels after all had Thrawn competing with the Project with his Tie Defenders and Interdictors (Respectfully way better ships then the normal Tie Fighters and near any other ship a rebel could get their hands on, and capital ships that could pull other ships out of Hyperspace and prevent them from jumping and running). But the Death Star won the funding war so these two never got more then a few prototypes and examples.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Grand General Tagg looking at the budget of the Death Star and shaking his head.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Really would've loved to see the lighting concept for the BDZ, but these are a fine enough substitute

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Is that based on that Battlefront map?

When they were crossing the bridge to enter the facility, I could feel like I’d been there.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Turns out the BB theme sounds pretty dope when performed live

https://vimeo.com/585517617

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Buried in a What If? article on the Hollywood Reporter, is a report that they're hearing Lucasfilm is looking to cast a Sabine live action actor for the Ahsoka series:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-what-if-voice-cast-1234995673/

HR is one of the reputable trade magazines.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Teek posted:

Buried in a What If? article on the Hollywood Reporter, is a report that they're hearing Lucasfilm is looking to cast a Sabine live action actor for the Ahsoka series:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/marvel-what-if-voice-cast-1234995673/

HR is one of the reputable trade magazines.

Hell yes.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

God yes, bring em all back please! Whats Zeb up too?!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Well, this would presumably be Sabine and Ahsoka after the end of Rebels going in search of Ezra, right? So probably just the 3 of them, and Thrawn, coming back.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Vintersorg posted:

Chilling with his husband on new lasat

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Vintersorg posted:

Makin babies that have awesome muttonchops with one ex-Imperial?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Did a quick google but didn't really see anything, but what does the TK trooper designation stand for?

CT is obvious, but did they ever retcon anything for the enlisted TK troopers?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's the code used for regular troopers based on the one line in the original Star Wars when they first get to the Death Star and take out a couple stormtroopers.

"TK421, why aren't you at your post?"

But literally what the "TK" stands for is anyone's guess.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

"Top Knotch." It's ironic.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Legends had Stormtroopers with a bunch of different designations, and the first Certain Point of View book mentioned that TK Stormtroopers were specifically under Vader or Tarkin's command, while other groups used different letters. The idea of all Stormtroopers having TK designations is new, and I think has only been mentioned in The Mandalorian and Bad Batch so far.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It also doesn't make sense.

From google:

quote:

The first Death Star is depicted in various sources of having a crew of 265,675, as well as 52,276 gunners, 607,360 troops, 30,984 stormtroopers, 42,782 ship support staff, and 180,216 pilots and support crew.

If TK was the designation of all regular human stormtroopers on the Death Star alone, then TK421 is missing at least two significant figures.

Just have them be like car licence plates. This new canon is silly.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

Did a quick google but didn't really see anything, but what does the TK trooper designation stand for?

CT is obvious, but did they ever retcon anything for the enlisted TK troopers?

Pablo Hidalgo posted:

If there was any intentionality in the letters TK or FN, I don't know of it. In the case of FN, my recollection is his name Finn came long before the idea that Poe named him was developed. So "FN" was reverse-engineered from Finn.

As for TK, I am doubtful it was intended to mean anything specific, because the script had it as TX. It was changed to TK during production. Don't know why. But if you look at early sources, it was TK-421. The novelization ('76) even went so far as to use THX-1138 as the trooper number.

In the years since, in large part due to the work of the @501stLegion, the term "TK" has become a standardized way of discussing stormtrooper numbers. The Mandalorian, I think, was the first place to use "TK number" in dialog.

But what TK or FN means, I don't think has been retconned to have specific meaning. (Opinions vary, but if asked, I'd be of the don't define it camp. You'd risk putting limitations on something that doesn't appear to have many.)

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I don't think there are any number/name designations in Star Wars that make sense if you think about them even a little bit. 3PO apparently refers to the droid's type, so did the factory only do a production run of 26 units?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
I believe in Legends there was something about Droid designations actually being a longer serial numbers in actuality? So like R2-D2 was the model, but if you were to crack him open and look at his serial, it would be something like R2-D2-761287768213.

You could probably work something like that into the stormtrooper legions as well. TK-421[501-12387567] Where the hidden numbers identify legion, division, etc.. So general parlance you probably wouldn't need their full number, unless you specifically needed some specificity.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

THLAP!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Even Pablo has no idea

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1424439450164076549?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

There wasn't even a reason to assume it was anything more than an assignment number either. How many different aircraft, with their own tail number and serial number, operated as United 66 or Air France 421.

TK-42X could have just been whoever was on duty in that specific docking bay.