Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grondoth posted:

Godcrofts was very strange last war. It was a huge Warden bottleneck because it had a massive queue but it didn't seem like anyone was THERE. Not enough people to crew vehicles, push fronts, or secure areas, mines left unfueled and fields unharvested, an idle factory... but like a 10+ queue. I honestly started to suspect it was bugged.

The devs have also been known to gently caress with the queues in the past to disadvantage the winning side, so it could have been that.

Dunite posted:

This man gets it!

Unrelated, will there be the time for training this war or will everyone want to be pushing from the start?

I mean, there is always time for training, but training in this game is very much a learn-on-the-job thing. A good sense of humour helps, as you will make serious fuckups as you go. We all did, and we all do. The good news is that it's very difficult to gently caress up anything important enough to seriously disadvantage our side.

Also, learning this game is at least half the fun. It's big and complex like Eve. But unlike Eve, nearly every aspect of the game is easily accessible. Tanking, bunker building, frontline engineering, all the infantry roles, harvesting materials, building materiel, trucking/shipping, arty, pirate boating, and partisaning the other side's logi can all be done by a complete noob on day one. Some of those do require 2-3 people coordinating, and most benefit from having someone more experienced show you the ropes. But you don't need to grind for months or years to get into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The devs have also been known to gently caress with the queues in the past to disadvantage the winning side, so it could have been that.

It's not even devs loving around. It's a literal built in system where if one side has a significant* amount of players compared to the other it slaps on a global queue which affects spawning in from home region to any map.
*Significant has been undefined by the devs but is likely in the ~20% range.

It used to be very common in the BeforeTimes when player count was much lower.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 11, 2021

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I might get this game tonight. The map system kinda reminds me of Albion Online.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

err posted:

I might get this game tonight. The map system kinda reminds me of Albion Online.

Think of it like company of heroes but instead of a squad you have direct control over 1 dude

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So the entire tech trees of both factions got posted from the last war which means it's time for more reasons why the current tech system is stupid and devs shouldn't be allowed to rig them. Alternatively (or also): Remove asymmetry because it's terrible and will never be balanced.

T2 - Pitch Gun vs Fuscina for colonials. The two worst guns in the game on the same tier as the wardens getting SMGs.
T3 - Liar vs Cutler for Wardens. Liar is just a worse version of the SMG they got at t2.
T4 - ISG vs Lionclaw(SMG) against each other just for the extra gently caress you on automatic weapons. Bonus: Wardens AT flask not being auto unlock for ~reasons~. Bonus: T5 is when Wardens got the 40mm field gun from vehicles.
T8 - Dusk vs Bane for Colonials. The best SMG vs the best colonial AT Rocket Launcher. Two tiers after bonesaws. And the first non-heavy automatic weapon for the war that wasn't against the required ISG.

t5 - 250mm on Wardens and MHT on Colonials. MHT and mortars in general are still mostly a joke despite a few buffs. Still a weird tier decision.
Now here's where it goes off the rails
t7 - ATHT for Wardens vs ATAC for Colonials. This tier is so egregiously unbalanced it defies belief. ATHT should not be this early and the ATAC should not be this late. ATHT completely trivialized FATs/EATs until proper armour was fielded at t9 and even then it's still very good until assault tanks at T12 for Colonials (more on this soon).
t8 - The two 30mm "tanks" against each other. If you haven't seen the colonial one it's for a good reason as it's worse in every way than the Warden one and should be a tier or two earlier (and still likely wouldn't be teched). With that said Wardens should have gotten GB here anyways because both 30mm vehicles aren't that good.
t10 - SVH against nothing for Wardens while Ballista is vs MPT for Colonials. Ballista is 100% required to fight concrete while SVH is far and away the best Warden tank and arguably best all around tank.
t11 - Autotech Ballista (and a lovely light tank variant) for Wardens. While Colonials are Kranesca vs LTD. LTD is essentially required now despite the massive armour buffs. So another tier without a tank remotely capable of fighting SVH.
t12 - HTD alone for Wardens. Spatha alone for Colonials as a capstone two full tiers after SVH.

This same war was also the one where they buffed armour heavily which has led to late-game warden armour (SVH, HTD mainly) having a decent chance of deflecting 68mm and a high chance against 40mm.

I just want old tech tree back :(

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Aug 12, 2021

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
We should become a trench-only clan. Clan Trench.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Rynoto posted:

So the entire tech trees of both factions got posted from the last war which means it's time for more reasons why the current tech system is stupid and devs shouldn't be allowed to rig them. Alternatively (or also): Remove asymmetry because it's terrible and will never be balanced.

T2 - Pitch Gun vs Fuscina for colonials. The two worst guns in the game on the same tier as the wardens getting SMGs.
T3 - Liar vs Cutler for Wardens. Liar is just a worse version of the SMG they got at t2.
T4 - ISG vs Lionclaw(SMG) against each other just for the extra gently caress you on automatic weapons. Bonus: Wardens AT flask not being auto unlock for ~reasons~. Bonus: T5 is when Wardens got the 40mm field gun from vehicles.
T8 - Dusk vs Bane for Colonials. The best SMG vs the best colonial AT Rocket Launcher. Two tiers after bonesaws. And the first non-heavy automatic weapon for the war that wasn't against the required ISG.

t5 - 250mm on Wardens and MHT on Colonials. MHT and mortars in general are still mostly a joke despite a few buffs. Still a weird tier decision.
Now here's where it goes off the rails
t7 - ATHT for Wardens vs ATAC for Colonials. This tier is so egregiously unbalanced it defies belief. ATHT should not be this early and the ATAC should not be this late. ATHT completely trivialized FATs/EATs until proper armour was fielded at t9 and even then it's still very good until assault tanks at T12 for Colonials (more on this soon).
t8 - The two 30mm "tanks" against each other. If you haven't seen the colonial one it's for a good reason as it's worse in every way than the Warden one and should be a tier or two earlier (and still likely wouldn't be teched). With that said Wardens should have gotten GB here anyways because both 30mm vehicles aren't that good.
t10 - SVH against nothing for Wardens while Ballista is vs MPT for Colonials. Ballista is 100% required to fight concrete while SVH is far and away the best Warden tank and arguably best all around tank.
t11 - Autotech Ballista (and a lovely light tank variant) for Wardens. While Colonials are Kranesca vs LTD. LTD is essentially required now despite the massive armour buffs. So another tier without a tank remotely capable of fighting SVH.
t12 - HTD alone for Wardens. Spatha alone for Colonials as a capstone two full tiers after SVH.

This same war was also the one where they buffed armour heavily which has led to late-game warden armour (SVH, HTD mainly) having a decent chance of deflecting 68mm and a high chance against 40mm.

I just want old tech tree back :(

comments from facing those.

ISG is stupidly powerful and directly compares to RPG's expect collies wont lose isg's as easily as wardens lose rpg's, also rpg crate costs more than spitfire.
pitch gun was the thing i wanted to find the most. Its perfect secondary for medics and tank commanders.
MHT was major pain in the rear end for us, im just glad that only few used those. 250mm push gun has 25meters of range.
also collie acheron is hilariously superior to warden mulley. Has gun that can shoot over side while wardens dont and cant shoot over sides
collie rpg jeep is also really powerful fortunately for us those were used poorly this war.
30mm tanks are really underrated those things cost pennies when compared to 40mm tanks, it basically shoots frag grenades as shells .

and final point everyone seems to forget that is outside tech tree balance.
Weather really favored collies this war, and most likely weather made some wardens quit entirely. Its also reason why this war lasted so long.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 12, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hmm.. with new war happening maybe I'll be able to hop on at start and do some helping, or this evening.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9NrElifkXU

War 81 just been declared. It begins.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Was peace ever an option?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But if you want peace, you must prepare for war.

Nobody ever said you had to stop.

emPathetic Bill
Apr 28, 2011

Dark Off posted:

comments from facing those.

ISG is stupidly powerful and directly compares to RPG's expect collies wont lose isg's as easily as wardens lose rpg's, also rpg crate costs more than spitfire.
pitch gun was the thing i wanted to find the most. Its perfect secondary for medics and tank commanders.
MHT was major pain in the rear end for us, im just glad that only few used those. 250mm push gun has 25meters of range.
also collie acheron is hilariously superior to warden mulley. Has gun that can shoot over side while wardens dont and cant shoot over sides
collie rpg jeep is also really powerful fortunately for us those were used poorly this war.
30mm tanks are really underrated those things cost pennies when compared to 40mm tanks, it basically shoots frag grenades as shells .

and final point everyone seems to forget that is outside tech tree balance.
Weather really favored collies this war, and most likely weather made some wardens quit entirely. Its also reason why this war lasted so long.

The snow weather sucks, kills players, disables vehicles and requires resources to unstuck, Other side gets rain which...slows vehicles a bit and slows people down.

I read on the discord that the weather is a manual trigger by the devs which would explain the day 1 snowstorm

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So Terra is holding, though our lovely long BB Rifle garrison line was broken by stupid idiots who cannot sap and let the enemy close enough to wreck half and poo poo a satanic coil of awful sapping to you trench lines towards the core.

Hours of fighting with volunteer goons dropping in to help preserved the BB core and seems to have encouraged at least some growth around it.

I am buying comfort we were the constant distraction to the Colonials trying to shove us from Scarp of Ambrose though.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/uM1XEnU.mp4

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
:bravo:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tN1nt4lbIg

Give a man a shovel and he'll build a foundation of horrible mistakes.

Weekend antics starting right now!

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
It has been suggested to me that this thread might get some more traffic if it was in MMO HMO versus in general Games. This might get thread traffic up a bit since this game satisfies the "MMO" part for that sub-forum.

So what does the thread think ? YEA or NAY ? Vote in a reply!

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 15, 2021

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The game is a very MMO experience and we certainly need a small core of more dedicated MMO types to give us more things to do than tag along with attacks with what we can make when we hit low goon pop.

The three week slog some wars are going through now, burnout out for some goons is expected but it kind of sucks. I mean we do great pop wise for those who enjoy popping in for a war or two. But yeah, when things go bad things get quiet for us. I mean I think we need a laid back dedicated core of Goons to keep things going. I've been holding the bag for the game for the most part as everyone else has been waylaid by real life.

I am down for moving this one over to MMO HMO, but I am curious if we'll be allowed to make a promo thread for the game when it finally leaves early access later this year? I mean this is a question for mods.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

MREBoy posted:

It has been suggested to me that this thread might get some more traffic if it was in MMO HMO versus in general Games. This might get thread traffic up a bit since this game satisfies the "MMO" part for that sub-forum.

So what does the thread think ? YEA or NAY ? Vote in a reply!

its simple is the game a mmo?
I think not the scale of battles aint massive the scale of war is.
single zone supports around 1700 player deaths per hour thats around 28 dying every minute, after that the queue gets rather ridiculous, i would estimate that there is only around 300 players per zone when its maxed out.
the game does have eve kind of allure to it aka player driven everything, tactics that matter macro and micro aspects , logistics.
I think the game is more visible in games sub-forum however. At same time atlas which is pretty similar to foxhole is in mmo hmo

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It's tricky to pin down.

If you want to do more than just grab gun, shoot man and die in a loop for most who can tolerate the jank yeah that is fine for a few hours.

But doing logistics, production, long term fighting and planning and seeing the war through is certainly a MMO-esqe time sink.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
MMO is probably a reasonable place.

Something I thought about that I sort of want to try, partisan actions usually seem to be ambushing supply trucks, before getting shot down. Meanwhile, fuel trucks are just a pain in the rear to load, but get put down next to an auto mine so that they can get reused. Instead of destroying trucks, it feels like it might be more effective to try to float a vehicle to a beach, drive to an auto mine, steal the fuel truck, then either drive back with it or find a place to ditch it where it probably won't be found (or blow it up if possible?). At 80 odd wars, though, I assume this one has been thought of. Is it something that just gets tried every once in a while? Do the anti partisan bases make it infeasible since you're probably going to just get knocked out before anything else happens?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

There's typically foxholes and rifle garrisons around resource fields/mines as well as garrison houses especially if the hex is near the frontline.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Danann posted:

There's typically foxholes and rifle garrisons around resource fields/mines as well as garrison houses especially if the hex is near the frontline.

Reasonable, which is why I was thinking of back line, or even better midline which seems to have nearly no actual players or defenses aside from monstrously large anti partisan bases at intersections. One thing I saw the other night was a partisan encampment set up in the middle of nowhere that caused some trouble.

Actually, now that I think of it, how many mammons does it take to knock out a bridge? That seems like a relatively quick way to gently caress some stuff up towards the back.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Ranges from a truckload to too many to reasonably use, satchels are the preferred method of demolishing bridges.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Danann posted:

Ranges from a truckload to too many to reasonably use, satchels are the preferred method of demolishing bridges.

Which aren't yet available :negative:

I suppose there's always locking the bridge in place and then ambushing...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Locking a bridge with a barge is a time-honoured tradition. You can definitely go in a barge, park it under the bridge, then ambush logi drivers who come.

But you have to watch out for AI, and there will eventually be a QRF response. That's where Spitfires really come into their own - get in, gently caress up some logi, get out before you get stomped, rinse, repeat.

Collie RPG jeeps are also absurd for that, as they can easily take out town halls in poorly-defended/ decaying towns.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Had a fantastic night tonight soaking the ground blood red in the operater seat of the FMG, shame this scary rear end Colonial offensive that cut off Farranac cut us off.

gently caress me fighting and building in Scarp of Ambrose sucks that terrain is awful. Never have I wanted to burn/blow up nature in a game before.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

To add onto the discussion of the debate if we should move this thread to the MMO sub-forum, those that are active since April how did you find this thread? did you hear of the game and went straight for the Discord? a friend tell you? you find the thread with search?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mentioned in the Management Games thread.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Yep, that's how I found it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Welp. Collies tech skipped to tankettes and 120, and now everything is collapsing everywhere.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Time to start spraying mines and mass producting AT rifles and hoping we can salvage something. Sucks we've been kicked out of Saltbrook.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
What a slog of a war.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

What no it is perfectly fine, now if you excuse me I am going to build this bunker base for the 6th time then walk happily into gunfire under that stupid Callahan statue we cannot seem to hold onto.

A devstream might happen, hopefully they'll show us why they've been shoving concrete on us early lately at the end of the week?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
The "do stuff during the day, have it all taken at night" thing is really exhausting

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The night time zone PVE element sucks, what can you do unless Japanese and Aussie gamers really get into grognard supply line sims.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

started playing, no idea what im doing.

some rando says "hey take off all your gear and follow me", we swim across the river with a mission of punch dudes and take guns.

i die to an armored car following us around, but then my fearless leader steals a apc with 2 people in it and drive it into the river, everyone dies.

a++ intro to the game.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welcome, pop into the Discord and we'll get you into the goon guild and temporary squad we got going.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Trabisnikof posted:

started playing, no idea what im doing.

some rando says "hey take off all your gear and follow me", we swim across the river with a mission of punch dudes and take guns.

i die to an armored car following us around, but then my fearless leader steals a apc with 2 people in it and drive it into the river, everyone dies.

a++ intro to the game.

If only every new player got an intro like that :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

GruntyThrst posted:

If only every new player got an intro like that :allears:

Too many newbie intros are bridgefights, because bridgefights are numerous, dumb, and broken. Saltingrad should be the new player area. Give them PTSD early, and get them hooked.