Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

I've been tasked with politely putting a pillow over the face of our social media account and pushing down until it dreams forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You should tell them to start a podcast.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

"Barudak, what happens if customers no longer have awareness of our products?"
Tell them you can finally do your job of not selling more product that you can't fulfill yet.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I still treasure the memory of the look on my previous CFO's face when I explained to him over "casual lunch with an employee" that hours registered and actual hours worked were two very different, and frequently unrelated, concepts.

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 11, 2021

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Barudak posted:

Social media for like, 90% of businesses is a waste of goddamn time and the whole company would be better off posting erotic business goal fan fic because someone then might actually read it

I think Chuck Tingle already does this.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Zil posted:

I think Chuck Tingle already does this.

Pounded in the Butt By My Company's Agile Implementation Plan

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

My company's big thing is trying to get us to share posts about our rather enterprise specific product on LinkedIn and Bambu(?) for Social Media Points and a shout out in a weekly email.

It mostly serves as a random reminder to me that LinkedIn exists for some people outside of the context of when they're looking to get a new job.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Some of the education and outreach components for our funded projects are tied to social media metrics. So we need to get 2000 clicks on a Facebook post or we might not get funding next year.

I'm thinking paying for a click factory to hit our goals is probably unethical.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Outrail posted:

Some of the education and outreach components for our funded projects are tied to social media metrics. So we need to get 2000 clicks on a Facebook post or we might not get funding next year.

You should expense it as an “operating supply”.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Outrail posted:

The unethical thing would be not hiring a click farm

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
My previous company, a global megacorp, has been really hilarious to watch on LinkedIn lately. Tons of people desperately trying to sell how great it is to work there despite everyone being mandated to be back in the office with almost no flexibility and a fuckton of people having left recently because of it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

It's unethical to hire a clickfarm, but if you were to hire a social media consultancy...

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Elephant Ambush posted:

My previous company, a global megacorp, has been really hilarious to watch on LinkedIn lately. Tons of people desperately trying to sell how great it is to work there despite everyone being mandated to be back in the office with almost no flexibility and a fuckton of people having left recently because of it.

My MegaCorp is losing lots of folks too, it's a dinosaur when it comes to change but if we lose enough people wouldn't rule out a more generous WFH situation.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

We had a social media manager employee at our company too, until he quit because in his cubicle there was a dry erase board with his schedule:

Mon: Post on Facebook
Tues: Post on Insta and Facebook
Wed: Post on Insta
Thur: Post on Insta and Facebook
Fri: Post on Insta and Facebook

Probably wasn't the most rewarding or challenging thing in the world.

We're just a corporate office filled with "So Many Books, So Little Time" tea-drinking cat ladies and Live Laugh Love chud women who run dog rescues and poo poo like that. His cube was filled with Marvel funko pops and stuff. Maybe it just wasn't a good match for him. He seemed like an okay dude he was probably having to fill 38 out of his 40 hours a week with bullshit imaginary projects for his $18 an hour and decided it wasn't worth it. I don't think we rehired anyone for that position.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

AHH F/UGH posted:

We had a social media manager employee at our company too, until he quit because in his cubicle there was a dry erase board with his schedule:

Mon: Post on Facebook
Tues: Post on Insta and Facebook
Wed: Post on Insta
Thur: Post on Insta and Facebook
Fri: Post on Insta and Facebook

At a previous job we had an intern doing just this. She was really nice and stuff, but this was her whole job for a small nonprofit.

I got an offer for more money and was on the fence, finally decided to take it. Right after I announced my resignation I learned they hired her on, full time, to do the same thing at $500 less than my annual salary.

I had been there 3 years, had a masters degree in that exact field, and had been the only person to stay
on and hold the company together when every other one of the 5 employees quit within 4 months of each other.

I definitely made the right call.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

There are so many books, and so little time though :colbert:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

AHH F/UGH posted:

We're just a corporate office filled with "So Many Books, So Little Time" tea-drinking cat ladies and Live Laugh Love chud women who run dog rescues and poo poo like that.

Which one are you?

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

McGavin posted:

Which one are you?

I’m the “poo poo like that”, emphasis on the poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zedprime posted:

Tell them you can finally do your job of not selling more product that you can't fulfill yet.

Were currently projected to presell our new inventory before I am officially allowed to sell it, so on its on sale date we wont have anything to sell.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Clearly the answer is pre-pre-sales.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My new task is to show enhanced capabilities to support sales of products we do not expect to have in stock once the inventory sells out before official sales begin until the launch of the next product which is also trending to sell through all its inventory before it goes on sale.

I am the theoretical physicist of the corporate world.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Hyrax Attack! posted:

My MegaCorp is losing lots of folks too, it's a dinosaur when it comes to change but if we lose enough people wouldn't rule out a more generous WFH situation.

We can’t institute a wfh policy or even more people will leave!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

zedprime posted:

It's unethical to hire a clickfarm, but if you were to hire a social media consultancy...

Well, you can pay survey monkey to have people do your surveys,and isn't a facebook like just a kind of survey?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kullik posted:

a couple months back some manager set up a daily check in call where the idea was he would join and tell us shift workers what the dayshift guys were up to and field any questions or whatever and it was an ok idea, he usually had some insight we could use for certain things and it was great for the first 2 meetings where he actually bothered to show up.
Since then we've had this daily meeting every single day we're in on dayshift and its been really fuckin awkward to wait for like 15 minutes in a voice call with my team and talk about like what we're having for breakfast then we get a message saying he's too busy every single day without fail.

Sounds like you can all just quietly cancel the meeting on your ends until he actually shows up, or just cancels it himself.

Barudak posted:

Social media for like, 90% of businesses is a waste of goddamn time and the whole company would be better off posting erotic business goal fan fic because someone then might actually read it

Isn't this the pattern that fast food Twitter accounts take? "Our chicken is so spicy it would be ratio'd within minutes if it were a tweet"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If you were hiring people for your own business, would you look for people with the skills you needed, and then hoped their personality matched with the existing team, or would you first look for people who fit the vibe and then expect to train them on any skills they lacked? (I realize the ideal answer is "both" but that's looking for unicorns)

Personally, I would tend to lean more heavily toward the latter, but I work for the kind of organization that is legally mandated to do the former and document how they did so.

On the upside, that does mean that my workplace has by far the most diverse workforce of any place I've ever worked. There are more women than men at every level, more people of color as a percentage than the local population, and a huge range of ages, political opinions, physical abilities, personalities, and... not to put too fine a point on it, but any time I see a really attractive person in the building, I look for a visitor badge. We're a motley crew. Edit: and in case it isn't clear, I think that's a good thing!

However, on the downside, you end up with employees working together who wouldn't even talk to each other in real life, much less be friends, and you end up with people with highly valuable skills but "interesting" personalities who are just stuck in there like ticks because they can't be fired as long as they do their job and refrain from doing anything so bad it would probably be illegal, but who otherwise make everyone who interacts with them miserable, including customers.

I often think it would be nice if our interviews could have a "personality" score at the end as well as how well someone answered the pre-approved technical questions, but I realize that that would allow fudge space for all the -isms to creep in, including nepotism, and hell, we ugly, prickly and old people need jobs too.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Imagined posted:

If you were hiring people for your own business, would you look for people with the skills you needed, and then hoped their personality matched with the existing team, or would you first look for people who fit the vibe and then expect to train them on any skills they lacked? (I realize the ideal answer is "both" but that's looking for unicorns)

Personally, I would tend to lean more heavily toward the latter, but I work for the kind of organization that is legally mandated to do the former and document how they did so.

On the upside, that does mean that my workplace has by far the most diverse workforce of any place I've ever worked. There are more women than men at every level, more people of color as a percentage than the local population, and a huge range of ages, political opinions, physical abilities, personalities, and... not to put too fine a point on it, but any time I see a really attractive person in the building, I look for a visitor badge. We're a motley crew.

However, on the downside, you end up with employees working together who wouldn't even talk to each other in real life, much less be friends, and you end up with people with highly valuable skills but "interesting" personalities who are just stuck in there like ticks because they can't be fired as long as they do their job and refrain from doing anything so bad it would probably be illegal, but who otherwise make everyone who interacts with them miserable, including customers.

Hire on intelligence, screen for personalities so awful they can't even hide them for an interview round.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outrail posted:

Well, you can pay survey monkey to have people do your surveys,and isn't a facebook like just a kind of survey?

Lol responses to our newest internal survey are so low they're trying to offer bribes including raffling off getting to use a reserved parking spot for a whole week. You know, that reserved parking system that was set up so management and people that have been here for decades can park next to the building while anyone without super-seniority gets to arrive earlier and earlier to hopefully not have to park a 15 minute walk away. That great system they're keeping despite new WFH policies meaning about half those spots will be empty any given day.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Imagined posted:

I often think it would be nice if our interviews could have a "personality" score at the end as well as how well someone answered the pre-approved technical questions, but I realize that that would allow fudge space for all the -isms to creep in, including nepotism, and hell, we ugly, prickly and old people need jobs too.
HR will never allow you to add personality to a scoring matrix because that's where lawsuits and discrimination live. You either interview enough people to get enough ties you can have a verbal conversation about who wins the tie breaker on better fit. Or you can try to get "customer service" or "communication skills" added and use that instead.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

Live Laugh Love chud women who run dog rescues

I didn't realize this was an actual type of person. I thought the one I worked with years ago was just a weirdo and not one of an entire genre of people who make offices hell.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Imagined posted:

On the upside, that does mean that my workplace has by far the most diverse workforce of any place I've ever worked. There are more women than men at every level, more people of color as a percentage than the local population, and a huge range of ages, political opinions, physical abilities, personalities, and... not to put too fine a point on it, but any time I see a really attractive person in the building, I look for a visitor badge. We're a motley crew. Edit: and in case it isn't clear, I think that's a good thing!

I can't remember if I read it here, but I'm a huge fan of the 'Two beers and puppy' approach to interviewing: If after the interview you feel you could sit down and enjoyably have two beers (or wine, or tea or whatever) with the candidate, and that you would feel comfortable leaving your new puppy/baby/car with the candidate for the weekend, then they're probably going to be good addition to the work environment. If they also have the skillset for the job you've probably got a good hire.

I use this for interviewing housemates now too.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't want to have 2 beers with colleagues or leave them with my car or dog out of principal. I also don't want to work with most of my friends. Occupational and social harmony are at cross purposes for me: I want partly challenging relationships and the reasons I want my work relationships to be challenging are why I wouldn't want to be friends and vice versa.

It's hard to explain. Like I don't want everyone screaming at each other but the obsessive compulsive planner and the free spirited idea guy rub each other the wrong way but produce the best results by shoring up each other's weaknesses. Similarly as a wallflower your most valuable friend is the social butterfly making sure you aren't dead from a heart attack on the shitter when they meet you at the park.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hiring for personality risks creating a homogeneous workforce of people who are all similar to the hiring manager. It’s well established that people automatically (subconsciously) warm more to people who look like them, and that doesn’t make for a diverse team who attack problems in different ways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

zedprime posted:

Similarly as a wallflower your most valuable friend is the social butterfly making sure you aren't dead from a heart attack on the shitter when they meet you at the park.

Bold of you to assume I have friends, within the workplace or outside of it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

zedprime posted:

I don't want to have 2 beers with colleagues or leave them with my car or dog out of principal. I also don't want to work with most of my friends. Occupational and social harmony are at cross purposes for me: I want partly challenging relationships and the reasons I want my work relationships to be challenging are why I wouldn't want to be friends and vice versa.

It's hard to explain. Like I don't want everyone screaming at each other but the obsessive compulsive planner and the free spirited idea guy rub each other the wrong way but produce the best results by shoring up each other's weaknesses. Similarly as a wallflower your most valuable friend is the social butterfly making sure you aren't dead from a heart attack on the shitter when they meet you at the park.

I'm sure this might work in the type of place where, if you accidentally hire someone who crosses the line between 'heterogenous' and 'actively disruptive', you can easily tell them, "I'm sorry, it's not working out." and fire them. But what happens if you hire this way into an environment where people can only be terminated after a long series of documentable and specific uncorrected failures or malfeasance?

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

idk maybe people should only be terminated after a long series of documentable and specific uncorrected failures or malfeasance

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm sure my question was stupid in some way and deserved a smartass pithy reply. :rolleyes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Do you think you can tell in advance that they will be useless? Can you quantify that with more than a feeling in a 45 minute conversation slice where they will be on their best behavior? If so, do that. If not, I don't really know what you're looking for.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

At my old job we never really fired people, though lots were kind of forced out. We had a pretty documented system of “marks”, where you’d get one for being X-minutes late, not doing specific duties before close, so forth. They reset after like a month or a quarter maybe?

Anyway, if you got three of them, during the next shift when you clocked in all the employees would go in the back, and the manager would pull the person who had the marks forward. Then the manager would slide out The Egg. It was like one of those stupid concave chairs but it was sheer white and it had sort of a sliding hood, like those space capsules from Dragonball Z. The employee would then get in, the manager would shut the door, and all of us would chant “Naughty children go in the egg! Naughty children go in the egg!” For about 5 minutes.

Kind of unorthodox, but it usually worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Imagined posted:

I'm sure this might work in the type of place where, if you accidentally hire someone who crosses the line between 'heterogenous' and 'actively disruptive', you can easily tell them, "I'm sorry, it's not working out." and fire them. But what happens if you hire this way into an environment where people can only be terminated after a long series of documentable and specific uncorrected failures or malfeasance?
The theoretical here was we have a perfectly fine evidence based hiring system with the complaint that you get useful experts who piss people off. In which case it's crosses a line into harassment and they're sacked, it crosses the line into morale or customer service issues and they're given feedback and sacked if they don't change, or else they get their poo poo done but aren't your friend so boohoo I guess? These are small prices to pay for diversity in soft skills and attitude beside helping to short circuit some of the unconscious racism etc. that rears its head in social fit evaluations.