Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have never used Siri that has nothing to do with plugging your phone in and using CarPlay. One of the only things I miss going back to JDM daily from a new car is carplay (my particular daily’s HU can’t be replaced without crippling the tech and functionality)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

IIRC enabling Siri is required for CarPlay to work, even if you don’t use it. Sucks but that’s tech life.

Wtf, I didn’t realize Subaru changed so much with the SVX. I always assumed it was a parts-bin special car like every other Subaru. That said: http://ae64.com/SVXharness.htm

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 8, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Echoing RIP Paul Walker , most of the less-offensive looking head units seem to be Chinese, perversely.
There are a number out there that look straight out of the ‘90s.
Blaupunkt makes a modern version of their Bremen unit that even looks like it has a cassette, but it’s a door that hides the USB, aux, and SD connections.

https://www.amazon.com/BLAUPUNKT-Bremen-SQR-46-DAB/dp/B07XVMBKW4/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=blaupunkt&qid=1627789081&s=car&sr=1-3
It’s a bit pricey, though.

They also still makes several head units that are reasonably non-flashy, and pretty cheap. It’s worth noting that Blau is basically a Chinese company, BTW.
The Blau Bologna 200 looks nice and simple, for example, but is a mechless unit with USB and BT.

And then there’s this model, in a few variations, sold under a dozen brands, but dangers if they didn’t get the vintage Becker vibe right:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363411864866?hash=item549d08fd22:g:1cIAAOSw7KVc7rXj

There’s a mostly-black version that I like better, too.

And this even-cheaper (and cheaper-looking) model:

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Blue...0922K3YW8&psc=1

And Continental/VDO make some inoffensive head units with reasonable features as well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Oh man that Blaupunkt is so cool!

Just ordered the el cheapo vintage looking one - will look decent in a kei truck

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

Oh man that Blaupunkt is so cool!

Just ordered the el cheapo vintage looking one - will look decent in a kei truck

The $23 Amazon one? I’d love to hear how it performs when you get it. Seems like a decent value for basic stereo that doesn’t look like poop. I’m looking at more like the Blau for my ‘79 RX-7, but that came up in a search for vintage-lookin car stereos.
If I didn’t have gauges in the center stack, I’d look at a cheap double-DIN touch screen unit I guess.

Edit: as it is, I’ll probably use one of the $10 Walmart special Blaupunkts I picked up a couple years ago. They review really well, which surprised the stereo-shop YouTuber reviewing it. I bought 4 while they were on sale. They were still available last time I looked, albeit at $15-20, as I recall.

Edit 2: https://youtu.be/EBEk9VPsix4
Toronto TRT1049

Looks like it’s no longer available, but there are several models that are similar under $30.
It’s a mech-less unit, and hilariously tiny. It’s literally taller than it is deep. Only problem with that is that it has to be DIN mounted with its cage, no ISO mounting.
The Fresno is almost identical, looks like. $20 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XQBP9TZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 8, 2021

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Since you're talking about cheap stereos, all I did from what I asked about earlier was install the 19.99 Walmart Dual Bluetooth receiver. It actually sounds good enough for me if I get the balance/bass all done right and seems to have more power than the old factory receiver.

Doesn't look like much of anything.

I ordered some new speakers and junk than was like, why am I putting them in a 20 year old car, that's dumb and canceled them before they shipped.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

The $23 Amazon one? I’d love to hear how it performs when you get it.]

Yep. I’ll post whenever I put it in something. I bought 6 of the $10 ones as well back when that happened I have 2 left - they sound fine in the kei trucks I’ve put them in. I imagine this will be the same just look “cooler”

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Wtf, I didn’t realize Subaru changed so much with the SVX. I always assumed it was a parts-bin special car like every other Subaru. That said: http://ae64.com/SVXharness.htm

Oh drat, didn't realize they were still being made. At least I hope they are and that's not just a site for a dead operation.

And yeah, there is very little parts compatibility with other Subarus, it has made finding parts to fix this one up fun.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I remember seeing those in the 90s and loving the look. Kudos for keeping one on the road.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I've wanted one for almost half my life at this point so finally getting my hands on one has been great. I've actually got a project thread over here, although it has been kind of slow lately since I haven't been able to get major work done. I always feel bad bringing it up so much in various threads because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to draw everyone's attention to me having it, it's just that holy crap there is so much work that needs to be done on it that it's taking up a significant portion of my time and discretionary income.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969337

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I hate that I'm down this rabbit hole to the extent I'm having to post for advice, because I am not a car person and have less than 0 interest in modifying my car in any way. I like my car a lot, I've had it for a long time and it fits like a glove and I have no interest in getting rid of it or changing it, however....

Recently I was out of town for a while for work and had a rental car, and after a week of having a nice bluetooth touch screen that just instantly read my phone and played music off it, without me even having to bother taking it out of my purse well... the ol' cassette tape adapter plugged into my phone is starting to feel a bit sad.

So I've been mulling over the idea of putting in a new stereo, touchscreen deal with the android connectivity, etc, and looking at a video of someone install one it doesn't seem TOO hard overall. My biggest problem is just the multitude of stereos available and it being a subject I have less than 0 knowledge of is leading me in circles. I've tried to I guess look at the couple of names I recognize, sony, pioneer, but theres so many confusing options. I'll see some that say they have bluetooth and the android auto thing, but then say "oh the bluetooth doesn't work with the android auto that needs to be plugged into USB" except the USB port is on the rear of the unit and how the hell does that work?

Then there are a million and one units out there, from names I have no clue about, some that do have USB/aux plugs on the front of it, but they still say all the phone connectivity is via USB (do they even make any of these units that just connect wirelessly?), and I don't know whats a lemon, whats going to break after 5 minutes, and most importantly what I should be looking at.

Does this thread have any advise on what to look for, for a stereo that has a touchscreen, wireless connectivity to my phone with that android auto thing (i'd like to be able to use my phones navigation on it as well as long as I have a big screen there), or if what I'm looking for even makes sense from my description?

Bonus question, the faceplate kit i found for my car, also lists two different wiring plugs to use, one that seems plain, and another with RCA plugs that mentions something about use with external amp, and apparently from some googling one problem is my car has some kind of stupid external amp thing under the seat that some people complain gives some static noise with aftermarket stereos? So would i need the version of the cable adapter that has RCA plugs for my car? Is that how that works?

Christ I hate being down this rabbit hole, but I would really appreciate any wisdom goons have.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
A) What car? This will help figure out what you need to buy.

B) Bluetooth and Android Auto are two different things (kinda). Bluetooth would be hooking up your phone and streaming calls/media wirelessly, just like to a speaker or ear buds. Most any modern head unit will have this. Android Auto and Apple Carplay are ways of having your phone drive the head unit's screen and giving access to your apps, including music and navigation, which seems to be what you are after.

These generally work by plugging the phone into the head unit via USB. (the kinda above is because even though you plug in to run Auto/Carplay, they still make a Bluetooth connection for phone calls). There are some wireless systems, but they are fairly new and still cost more. I'm not sure of any restrictions, like if you need a newer phone, etc.

C) Yeah, most come with USB ports on the back. You basically get an extension cable and route it to where you want it. In my old car I was able to get some ports that plugged into blank switches for a clean look, but that's going to highly depend on the make and model. You'll also probably end up running an external microphone somewhere for the calling to work.

If there's a USB port on the front, chances are that is for a USB drive to play mp3s off of. I haven't seen many Auto units with this as they make one huge display and limit what else is on the front of the unit.

Check out Crutchfield. They will narrow down what you need by make and model of your car. You can also pay to get installation instructions, which they will refund you for if you buy your kit from them. That way you can see what is involved with an install. Or check YouTube.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Uthor posted:

A) What car? This will help figure out what you need to buy.

B) Bluetooth and Android Auto are two different things (kinda). Bluetooth would be hooking up your phone and streaming calls/media wirelessly, just like to a speaker or ear buds. Most any modern head unit will have this. Android Auto and Apple Carplay are ways of having your phone drive the head unit's screen and giving access to your apps, including music and navigation, which seems to be what you are after.

These generally work by plugging the phone into the head unit via USB. (the kinda above is because even though you plug in to run Auto/Carplay, they still make a Bluetooth connection for phone calls). There are some wireless systems, but they are fairly new and still cost more. I'm not sure of any restrictions, like if you need a newer phone, etc.

C) Yeah, most come with USB ports on the back. You basically get an extension cable and route it to where you want it. In my old car I was able to get some ports that plugged into blank switches for a clean look, but that's going to highly depend on the make and model. You'll also probably end up running an external microphone somewhere for the calling to work.

If there's a USB port on the front, chances are that is for a USB drive to play mp3s off of. I haven't seen many Auto units with this as they make one huge display and limit what else is on the front of the unit.

Check out Crutchfield. They will narrow down what you need by make and model of your car. You can also pay to get installation instructions, which they will refund you for if you buy your kit from them. That way you can see what is involved with an install. Or check YouTube.

A) 2004 Acura RSX Type-s, which is where my extra headache is coming from because that version has some extra bose bullshit, that apparently from various posts and videos I found can potentially have a static or hum when its turned up because of the extra bose amp or something under the seat. Thankfully though from the videos I've seen it looks incredibly easy to take the old stereo out and put a new one in, so that part isn't giving me too much nervousness at least.

B)Ah, so it sounds like I'll need to rely on USB for the android stuff to do like navigation and stuff, which I guess isn't a dealbreaker since i'm already used to my dangling tape deck adapter and charge cable being plugged in anyways. However...

C)...wiring up an external USB extension is getting beyond my comfort zone. I don't know how I would ever mount something like that, or where in the dashboard it would run through and that starts making me nervous. If it could be avoided I'd prefer it for that reason alone, and at least it seems like when i've seen stuff like this: https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-S8G2A74SD-Tethering-Bluetooth/dp/B08HPZP1NV/ that it has a USB port on the front while advertising android auto capability? But again I don't have a clue if things like that are like scummy brand things to avoid or if i'm reading things wrong.

It might be I'm so clueless I'm not even sure what I'm trying to get. I appreciate the Crutchfield suggestion, I'm having a look through what they're saying is compatible with my model and has the android auto features now.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If you're happy to just get your directions through the audio (via Bluetooth) then this is much less complicated. If you want Android auto to display your phone map (Waze, etc), you will need to run the USB port.

Must people are fine with hearing the directions spoken and using their phone display for the map. It's what I do with my stock 2019 Camry.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

You can get wireless connectivity for Android Auto or CarPlay (though it will require a cable to the phone to set it up the first time) but receivers with that feature cost a lot more. It can also be temperamental.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

unbuttonedclone posted:

Since you're talking about cheap stereos, all I did from what I asked about earlier was install the 19.99 Walmart Dual Bluetooth receiver. It actually sounds good enough for me if I get the balance/bass all done right and seems to have more power than the old factory receiver.

Doesn't look like much of anything.

I ordered some new speakers and junk than was like, why am I putting them in a 20 year old car, that's dumb and canceled them before they shipped.

Naw, get new speakers, even if fairly cheap ones. They can make an amazing difference, even over "premium" OEM stuff, if they're that old. I tend to do that before a new head unit (mostly because they're usually rattling/buzzing by the time I get a hold of the car...)
Dual has some better than you think stuff. The same guy that I posted earlier reviewing the $10 Blaupunkt reviewed two Dual amps, same product line, one 2 channel and one 4 channel, and not only did they actually hit rated power at the industry-standard distortion level, (as opposed to, like 10%, when lightning strikes it) but they actually exceeeded rated power! Unheard of in cheap amps.
Dual XPR84D (4ch x 80W, $99)
Dual XPR82D (2ch x 80W, $60)
Unfortunately, the 4ch shows out of stock, and may no longer be available, but the 2ch is still on Walmart.com.
I hope I can find the 4 channel again - I was planning to replace the factory MacIntosh/Clarion in the Outback. The Mac sounds fine, but doesn't like aftermarket head units on it's DIN plug.

everdave posted:

Yep. I’ll post whenever I put it in something. I bought 6 of the $10 ones as well back when that happened I have 2 left - they sound fine in the kei trucks I’ve put them in. I imagine this will be the same just look “cooler”

Right on!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I've wanted one for almost half my life at this point so finally getting my hands on one has been great. I've actually got a project thread over here, although it has been kind of slow lately since I haven't been able to get major work done. I always feel bad bringing it up so much in various threads because I don't want to seem like I'm trying to draw everyone's attention to me having it, it's just that holy crap there is so much work that needs to be done on it that it's taking up a significant portion of my time and discretionary income.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969337

Oh, hey, missed that thread. Subscribed!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tom Guycot posted:

A) 2004 Acura RSX Type-s, which is where my extra headache is coming from because that version has some extra bose bullshit, that apparently from various posts and videos I found can potentially have a static or hum when its turned up because of the extra bose amp or something under the seat. Thankfully though from the videos I've seen it looks incredibly easy to take the old stereo out and put a new one in, so that part isn't giving me too much nervousness at least.

B)Ah, so it sounds like I'll need to rely on USB for the android stuff to do like navigation and stuff, which I guess isn't a dealbreaker since i'm already used to my dangling tape deck adapter and charge cable being plugged in anyways. However...

C)...wiring up an external USB extension is getting beyond my comfort zone. I don't know how I would ever mount something like that, or where in the dashboard it would run through and that starts making me nervous. If it could be avoided I'd prefer it for that reason alone, and at least it seems like when i've seen stuff like this: https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-Navigation-S8G2A74SD-Tethering-Bluetooth/dp/B08HPZP1NV/ that it has a USB port on the front while advertising android auto capability? But again I don't have a clue if things like that are like scummy brand things to avoid or if i'm reading things wrong.

It might be I'm so clueless I'm not even sure what I'm trying to get. I appreciate the Crutchfield suggestion, I'm having a look through what they're saying is compatible with my model and has the android auto features now.

Honestly, if you are less than familiar with wiring all that up, and trepidatious about it, a good shop might be worth your while. Head unit installation isn't terribly expensive, sometimes included in the (higher) cost of the head unit, and skill and a warranty can be worth the extra cost. Locally we have Car Toys. They seem to be decent - they will usually explain features, tell you what fits the car, make you aware of oddities like that external amp, and give you a run down of how to operate the thing when done.
I don't discourage DIY, but if you don't have time, or feel you don't have or want to have the skill, then talk to a friendly installer! (Disclaimer: I used to be a mobile electronics installer, many years ago.)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

This used to be a lot longer because I'm a goddamned moron who was vastly overthinking it. This looks good, am I missing something bad about it? http://www.us.jvc.com/car/multimedia/kw_v660bt/

PopeCrunch fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 10, 2021

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Capacitive buttons for volume are really loving annoying

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nocheez posted:

If you're happy to just get your directions through the audio (via Bluetooth) then this is much less complicated. If you want Android auto to display your phone map (Waze, etc), you will need to run the USB port.

Must people are fine with hearing the directions spoken and using their phone display for the map. It's what I do with my stock 2019 Camry.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

You can get wireless connectivity for Android Auto or CarPlay (though it will require a cable to the phone to set it up the first time) but receivers with that feature cost a lot more. It can also be temperamental.

Yeah, the more I look into things the more apparent it seems USB is going to be a necessity (on top of everything they all say they need android 10+ to do wireless android auto), so this is starting to spiral out more than I was hoping. I really don't want to have a USB cable dangling out from behind the dashboard, nor do I want to drill holes in stuff to mount some USB outlet. It really bothers me if they expect you use USB they don't include one on the front.

How is someone supposed to run a USB cable without ugly wires hanging out, or destructive elaborate modifications to a car?

Darchangel posted:

Honestly, if you are less than familiar with wiring all that up, and trepidatious about it, a good shop might be worth your while. Head unit installation isn't terribly expensive, sometimes included in the (higher) cost of the head unit, and skill and a warranty can be worth the extra cost. Locally we have Car Toys. They seem to be decent - they will usually explain features, tell you what fits the car, make you aware of oddities like that external amp, and give you a run down of how to operate the thing when done.
I don't discourage DIY, but if you don't have time, or feel you don't have or want to have the skill, then talk to a friendly installer! (Disclaimer: I used to be a mobile electronics installer, many years ago.)

I considered but, I'm not totally clueless with wiring and hands on projects, and the videos all make it look really simple, its just I'm just not really a car person with any knowledge or experience of car stereo stuff. Car stereo installers give me flashbacks to college and guys I knew working with other 20 year olds who didn't really give a poo poo about the work they did, kicking in parts to make them fit, at some electronics store that did car stereo installs. :v:

Joking aside I'm not totally opposed to going to a business, but I'd rather give it a go myself to save money, and to not admit defeat I suppose. That Crutchfield suggestion seems to have detailed instructions and all the parts needed itemized so I'm fairly confidant I can muddle through.

I just really really really hate the idea of this USB cable business in the back, and am stumped with that.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I like having the USB cable tucked into my center console where I keep my phone. It’s typically a pretty tidy setup. If you can figure out where you’d like a USB extension cable to sit in your car, it should be pretty easy for any decent installer to get it there in a tidy and sensible way.

Where do you live? Some parts of the country are better than others for finding installers - there’s one near me that I’d recommend, but I also echo your concerns about random shops where people don’t give a poo poo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I like having the USB cable tucked into my center console where I keep my phone. It’s typically a pretty tidy setup. If you can figure out where you’d like a USB extension cable to sit in your car, it should be pretty easy for any decent installer to get it there in a tidy and sensible way.

This is exactly what I did recently in my wife's car. Works fine, it is not a huge deal at all. Just involved a couple bolts to pull out the center console to run the USB extension.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One thing I'd recommend is running a cable to near where you want it and then another cable from there to your phone. That way if the cord messes up, chances are it will be where it plugs into your phone and you only need to replace the short extension rather than taking apart your interior to get to the back of the head unit.

(I did this with my AUX cables for the car that had the AUX port in the glove box. Ran a long cord under the trim to the center console and then a short cable from there to my phone.)

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I appreciate all the advice from everyone, I certainly have a better idea now of what I'd need to do, but I'll need to have a long think about that usb cable. Unfortunately the center console is very spartan and there isn't a good place to run anything, at least in my mind, but... yeah, cheers.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

PopeCrunch posted:

This used to be a lot longer because I'm a goddamned moron who was vastly overthinking it. This looks good, am I missing something bad about it? http://www.us.jvc.com/car/multimedia/kw_v660bt/

I put a JVC KW-M150BT in my mother-in-law's Honda Insight, and it's fine. More or less looks the same, but the KW-M150BT is mechless (no optical disk player) so depth is very short. No real issues for it, and it was difficult to argue with $200. No CarPlay/Android Auto (she didn't want CarPlay), but it does do BT, and iPhone control over USB, and Android mirroring.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWM150B/JVC-KW-M150BT.html
(currently out of stock -may have been superseded, though Crutchfield will usually indicate that.)

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Capacitive buttons for volume are really loving annoying

They are, but quite a few touchscreen heads have them.
I don't like them, but don't really have too much trouble with them, in practice.

Tom Guycot posted:

I just really really really hate the idea of this USB cable business in the back, and am stumped with that.

I really, really hate a usb cable or thumb drive sticking out of the face fo the stereo.
The idea of them in the back is to either put a socket somewhere handy and/or hidden, or just run the cable out from under ot a convenient point where you want your phone to be.
I use the combined aux/USB panel jacks that fit on a cigarette-lighter sized hole. Easy to fit (the one in my Crown Vic is down by a factory power point below the dash proper,) and then just run a standard USB cable to that from my phone.

The USB cable on the Alpine head unit I put in out Outback is captive, so I just poked that out of a cubby in the lower dash, beside the ashtray:

(It's just in front of the shifter out of sight in this picture. There are also USB charging points of a similar type to the panel jacks I was talking about above there to the right of the voltmeter, except those are just power rather than an extension of another port.)

The magnetic mount for our phones is up at the top of the dash to the right of the steering wheel. We usually loop the USB cable over the mount (it has a cable clip) when not in use.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

$21 retro HU - as card slot and usb up front. The knobs feel nice and notchy. Don’t have something I want to throw it in at the moment (I have 9 vehicles at the house but they are good as is)

My 96 Crown has a 12v in the armrest with a notch for a cable to run out - I have a BT adapter plugged in. Fast charging and discreet tunes hookup - Toyota so far ahead of its time.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Darchangel posted:

They are, but quite a few touchscreen heads have them.
I don't like them, but don't really have too much trouble with them, in practice.

I really, really hate a usb cable or thumb drive sticking out of the face fo the stereo.
The idea of them in the back is to either put a socket somewhere handy and/or hidden, or just run the cable out from under ot a convenient point where you want your phone to be.
I use the combined aux/USB panel jacks that fit on a cigarette-lighter sized hole. Easy to fit (the one in my Crown Vic is down by a factory power point below the dash proper,) and then just run a standard USB cable to that from my phone.

Yeah, the more I'm reading up from everyone in here and online, it seems the simple clean idea I had in my head was hosed to begin with.

Oh well, in for a penny in for a pound I guess. I'll find out how badly it goes but I ended up ordering an OEM replacement panel for this one with the 12v port that I can drill a hole in to mount that cable you linked, without doing any permanent damage to the car.

Given that I'm abandoning the idea of wireless android auto (and that nearly everything is out of stock...), is there any consensus on which of these would be a better choice?
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_110CAR710/Jensen-CAR710.html?tp=72381#GeneralFeatures
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BV800AC/Boss-BV800ACP.html?tp=72381

Or is there something else I should be looking for that I should just wait to be in stock?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
This is a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how to route an RCA video cable through a boot in the liftgate of my car (2005 Honda Pilot) so that it can reach the rear license plate. The boot already has some factory wires in there, and I can probably fish 1-2 more small wires through, but definitely not the RCA connector.

Could I: 1) Remove the connector and put it back on once fed through, or 2) Can I just cut the wire, feed it through then splice it back? I've been putting this off for about 3 years now so I think it's about time to get it installed..

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Those boots are drat near impossible to add anything to, it is probably easier to run it along-side that boot with a couple zip ties holding it in place, then snake it through another opening. You might need to trim the plastic a little bit, but it's the gate so it shouldn't be noticeable.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Those boots are drat near impossible to add anything to, it is probably easier to run it along-side that boot with a couple zip ties holding it in place, then snake it through another opening. You might need to trim the plastic a little bit, but it's the gate so it shouldn't be noticeable.

I agree, but in this case I can probably feed the wires without the RCA connector. There's enough fill space to do it, and the boot isn't super hard to fish through. The connector is the only thing that makes it impossible.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That issue is part of what drew me to this backup camera. It has a much smaller connector that you can easily fish through boots/tight spaces.

It looks like it's possible to splice RCA cables, if you're comfortable with that kind of thing, but I will say I've stayed away from it, because it's got a weird ground shield thing going on. Youtube videos talking about replacing the end of an RCA cable say ominous things like "this is a last resort fix".

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 11, 2021

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

Bank posted:

I agree, but in this case I can probably feed the wires without the RCA connector. There's enough fill space to do it, and the boot isn't super hard to fish through. The connector is the only thing that makes it impossible.

Can you pull the OEM wires back into the car, run the RCAs, then pull the OEMs back alongside the RCA cable?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

That issue is part of what drew me to this backup camera. It has a much smaller connector that you can easily fish through boots/tight spaces.

It looks like it's possible to splice RCA cables, if you're comfortable with that kind of thing, but I will say I've stayed away from it, because it's got a weird ground shield thing going on. Youtube videos talking about replacing the end of an RCA cable say ominous things like "this is a last resort fix".

I installed a reversing camera that in the Insight I mentioned earlier. It was of this type, breaking out to an standard RCA connector after that plug. I couldn’t have done it without that smaller mid-plug. The boots on the Insight hatch, and the pillar of the hatch itself, we’re pretty tight.
Most likely you can remove and replace the RCA plug, but it will be fiddly. The wires are pretty small and fine.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

You can cut and splice back together an RCA, it’s just a signal wire and ground shield in there and it’s not carrying high voltage or anything like that.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Bank posted:

This is a dumb question, but I'm trying to figure out how to route an RCA video cable through a boot in the liftgate of my car (2005 Honda Pilot) so that it can reach the rear license plate. The boot already has some factory wires in there, and I can probably fish 1-2 more small wires through, but definitely not the RCA connector.

Could I: 1) Remove the connector and put it back on once fed through, or 2) Can I just cut the wire, feed it through then splice it back? I've been putting this off for about 3 years now so I think it's about time to get it installed..

What is it for? Seconding what everyone else has said, backup cameras have their own harness that plugs into a converter. I would not try to fish an RCA plug through a rubber boot.

Edit: I think I know what you mean, is it a harness plug right where it enters the door? The only way is to drill out some unused spots in the plug and pass it through. That or drill your own holes, use grommets and run an additional harness alongside.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 11, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

What is it for? Seconding what everyone else has said, backup cameras have their own harness that plugs into a converter. I would not try to fish an RCA plug through a rubber boot.

Edit: I think I know what you mean, is it a harness plug right where it enters the door? The only way is to drill out some unused spots in the plug and pass it through. That or drill your own holes, use grommets and run an additional harness alongside.

I think some of the cheaper/older crap doesn't have the small connector - they just end in a standard yellow RCA jack plus power wires.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the thoughts so far -- I guess I should provide more info. This is the head unit I have already installed:
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/NEX/AVH-4200NEX

IIRC it requires an RCA cable for the video signal (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRLBG8W/r)

That yellow connector has zero chance of going through the boot. I could remove the OEM cables leaving the boot empty then feeding the RCA connector first, but it's going to take a bloody long time. I think the easier thing in my case is to feed it through some other hole somewhere, or just do it the super lazy way and pay someone (but holy crap I got a quote for $400 which is a huge sticker shock for me).

Splicing it sounds like it'll be questionable as hell, so that's probably no go. RCA cables from my experience are definitely super sensitive, so thanks for the reminder on that.

I also looked into wireless cameras instead, but they look clunky, and may not be as reliable as an RCA since there's so much interference nowadays.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Bank posted:

Thanks for the thoughts so far -- I guess I should provide more info. This is the head unit I have already installed:

IIRC it requires an RCA cable for the video signal (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XRLBG8W/r)

That yellow connector has zero chance of going through the boot. I could remove the OEM cables leaving the boot empty then feeding the RCA connector first, but it's going to take a bloody long time. I think the easier thing in my case is to feed it through some other hole somewhere, or just do it the super lazy way and pay someone (but holy crap I got a quote for $400 which is a huge sticker shock for me).

Splicing it sounds like it'll be questionable as hell, so that's probably no go. RCA cables from my experience are definitely super sensitive, so thanks for the reminder on that.

I also looked into wireless cameras instead, but they look clunky, and may not be as reliable as an RCA since there's so much interference nowadays.
Ditch the camera you have (return if possible?) and get this or something like it, then:

Krakkles posted:

I have mine hooked up to a similar Pioneer headunit, the connector at the headunit is an RCA connector, works great.

That $400 quote probably doesn't mention that they're not likely to be any more careful or precise than they have to, so don't think that it buys you peace of mind, either.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
If you pay someone to do it they're most likely just gonna drill a hole anyways, so if you really care that much then yeah, cutting/splicing the cord or getting a different camera is probably your best best. New RCA connectors are cheap enough that I wouldn't bother trying to splice in the old one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Bank posted:

OK, but what about the camera?
Yes, the head unit requires an RCA, but the cameras usually have a smaller connector, just for this issue, before transitioning to a standard RCA.

Note step/item #2