Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rufio posted:

One note here is that I don't believe the plastic tabs count as internal clamps for box fill. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen arguments on it both ways so I just play it safe and include them when I'm sizing a box but I also wouldn't lose sleep if I had to ignore them to make the numbers work on an existing box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Any recommendations for software or an app to help me document the wiring in my house? I've been replacing bits here and there and it would be nice to track my improvements so I know what sections I couldn't get to, and record how it's all laid out but I suck at drawing and don't know if there's anything out there that could do this. Not looking for CAD-level detail but something that lets me map things out on top of a 2D/3D rendering of my house?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Sirotan posted:

Any recommendations for software or an app to help me document the wiring in my house? I've been replacing bits here and there and it would be nice to track my improvements so I know what sections I couldn't get to, and record how it's all laid out but I suck at drawing and don't know if there's anything out there that could do this. Not looking for CAD-level detail but something that lets me map things out on top of a 2D/3D rendering of my house?

I went looking for this a few months ago and didn't come across anything, but maybe you'll have better luck. I found one French company that was making something for tracking homework, but it wasn't really able to map switches or outlets to circuits.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Always a good sign when the electrician is replacing your panel and gets a look at some of the existing wiring and is like "I have no idea what kind of wire this is, I've never seen this before."

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Always a good sign when the electrician is replacing your panel and gets a look at some of the existing wiring and is like "I have no idea what kind of wire this is, I've never seen this before."

Something's real hosed up, and I hope it's your POs choices and not your choice in electrician.

(of course it's the PO, it's always the drat PO)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yup, this is some unpermitted DIY wiring from 1965. It's clearly copper wiring, some kind of jacket, but it's super thick, his first guess is silicon. I might go out there and pull some out of the conduit and see if I can solve the mystery.

It's some kind of wiring with a jacket, and the two wires wrapped together in a jacket, one red and one brown, no ground wire, a true 2-wire cable. And then they also ran a white neutral wire through the conduit. One conduit feeds a 240V AC outlet that doesn't have a neutral. The other feeds a regular 120v outlet. The brown wire in the cable is hot, the standalone white wire is neutral, the red wire is just folded back into into the conduit and unused.

It all worked for 55 years without burning the garage down, but it's far from "correct".

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

Yup, this is some unpermitted DIY wiring from 1965. It's clearly copper wiring, some kind of jacket, but it's super thick, his first guess is silicon. I might go out there and pull some out of the conduit and see if I can solve the mystery.

Yeah, so that's some "not structural cable at all" poo poo that somebody had laying around from whatever plant/factory they or their buddies worked at or some poo poo. Never intended for that use but......hey, it worked.

Solid core or stranded? Please do get some of it/take pics. I love seeing these kinds of things (as long as it's not involved with me investigating a cause and origin).

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Motronic posted:

Yeah, so that's some "not structural cable at all" poo poo that somebody had laying around from whatever plant/factory they or their buddies worked at or some poo poo. Never intended for that use but......hey, it worked.

Solid core or stranded? Please do get some of it/take pics. I love seeing these kinds of things (as long as it's not involved with me investigating a cause and origin).

:same:

Every day is learning something new by realizing something old: Electrons don't care what color the insulation is. Or is made of. Or if exists at all anymore.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So it's not copper, it's a silver wire so my next guess is aluminum. There's no marking on the wire except something like "Balden" and "12 duplex" and googling those words I find... automotive brake cables.

My "Gary" is a whole collection, the house was in the same family since 1945 until we bought it this year. They were machinists and race car drivers/mechanics. The subpanel in the garage was most likely an unpermitted fuse box installed between the permitted 100 amp service upgrade in 1965 and garage addition in 1966. The electrician said it looked like a used fuse box because it had a bunch of punch outs punched out but not used.

I've got some pictures and I'll try and get some more in the morning when there's some actual light in there.

E: I took these tonight, sorry for poor quality but it was just my headlamp and I guess I can blame my low blood sugar for my not even thinking to use the flash.

http://imgur.com/a/WxRfI9g

Oh and the 240v AC outlet, the white wire was connected to the ground screw on the outlet, the old fuse box is gone so I'm not sure what it was connected to, but I'll see if I captured it in any old pictures I took.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 12, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FISHMANPET posted:

So it's not copper, it's a silver wire so my next guess is aluminum. There's no marking on the wire except something like "Balden" and "12 duplex" and googling those words I find... automotive brake cables.

More likely to be Belden.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Yup, this is some unpermitted DIY wiring from 1965.

When I replaced the light switch in the family room, I found that the PO had dealt with the extra depth created by the wood paneling by soldering galvanized steel wire to the Romex.

There was also some charred wood under the switch plate. Surely just a coincidence.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

E: I took these tonight, sorry for poor quality but it was just my headlamp and I guess I can blame my low blood sugar for my not even thinking to use the flash.

http://imgur.com/a/WxRfI9g

Looks like UF/direct burial cable to me. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did another one!

This is one of three outlets in the entire main room of the basement. And it was not in a convenient place being near the ceiling. So I ran more romex down to the floor and

Yay electricity! Everything tests correctly this time around, no scary splices. The upper wall outlet is where the outgoing line from my first project ended. Now I have an outlet I can use instead of running an extension cord across the basement to power the TV.

If I'm not careful I might actually get good at this.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rhyno posted:

If I'm not careful I might actually get good at this.

Danger! I got to your level then said "how much harder can a whole-house rewire be?!" and it turned out: not that hard. Then I became a professional electrician.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thankfully only the basement appears to have been a DIY nightmare. The house was built in 2000 so I don't have too many worries.

I do want to add a light at the top of the basement stairs though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I do want to add a light at the top of the basement stairs though.

Well now you're getting into the truly dangerous tools: Ladders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who need a ladder when I have multiple rickety chairs.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
One wheeled office chair can be very versatile.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rhyno posted:

The house was built in 2000 so I don't have too many worries.

Oh sweet summer child.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

opengl128 posted:

Oh sweet summer child.

Oh inknow there can still be poo poo but it's not like the hackjob poo poo I found in the 42 year old house.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Oh inknow there can still be poo poo but it's not like the hackjob poo poo I found in the 42 year old house.

You really think there is a significant difference in the shenanigans that home builders were doing in 2000 vs. the late 70s and 80s? Especially as it relates to electrical?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
No but our inspector on the first house missed about 400 things that ended up being problematic for us later. So with this one we went with a much more known and well reviewed inspector.
I pulled open the report and he had a note about the open ground I fixed this week, I'd just forgotten about it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

No but our inspector on the first house missed about 400 things that ended up being problematic for us later. So with this one we went with a much more known and well reviewed inspector.
I pulled open the report and he had a note about the open ground I fixed this week, I'd just forgotten about it.

Inspectors have so many restriction on what they can do (i.e., not anything that is intrusive or causes damage) that you really shouldn't count on a home inspection to tell you much more than obvious cosmetic issues or obvious structural.

So I'm not really sure what your point is with this. Home inspectors can see almost nothing of electrical other than what's exposed and taking the face off of the panel. And plugging in outlet testers.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
At the last house he didn't test any outlets. I thinknif you look back at my posts here you'll see I had problem after problem there.

And I don't doubt there's still builder fuckery with home construction, but so far that first outlet is the only thing I've found that looked like a hackjob.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

but so far that first outlet is the only thing I've found that looked like a hackjob.

Congrats I guess, but my only point here is that this has little to do with the 20-ish age difference. Codes have changed in that time, but nothing of any significance and even more importantly the materials used are nearly the same.

And yes, I've not only read your posts but given you advice. I'm well aware of your level of understanding on the subject at hand.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Installed my nest hello from my old house and it works fine except the indoor chime no longer works. I found the doorbell transformer in the garage and I think it says 10V 8VA on it (the embossed text on it is incredible hard to make out), while the nest documentation requests 16-24V and 10VA minimum. It also says hire a certified nest professional to upgrade the transformer. These doorbell transformer are 15 bucks, so I'm wondering if it's something I could do; is it just wiring in the new transformer or am I running new and bigger wire?

Edit: chime itself looks like it's rated for 16V 10VA so that part should be fine.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 14, 2021

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I don't know where else to put this so here goes

If I buy a replacement broiling element for a consumer oven (so that I can build a broiler to use while camping at sites that have big bbq/fire pits you can't use due to burn bans), what would be the best way to power it?

Like this dude here:

https://mccombssupply.com/ch44x185-range-oven-element-upper-broil-unit-for-ge-wb44x185-wb44x173/

Is it expecting 120V? I have a camper that can easily supply that but what kind of equipment will I need?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I don't know where else to put this so here goes

If I buy a replacement broiling element for a consumer oven (so that I can build a broiler to use while camping at sites that have big bbq/fire pits you can't use due to burn bans), what would be the best way to power it?

Like this dude here:

https://mccombssupply.com/ch44x185-range-oven-element-upper-broil-unit-for-ge-wb44x185-wb44x173/

Is it expecting 120V? I have a camper that can easily supply that but what kind of equipment will I need?

Do you have 3kw of 240v available to you? That's what that needs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

H110Hawk posted:

Do you have 3kw of 240v available to you? That's what that needs.

Actually most camp sites with hookups have pretty robust options

I guess I need to find an element that isn't expecting 240v though. Maybe look at consumer air fryer parts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"Run something as hot as a fire, outside, hooked up to mains power, that I made myself" does not sound like a reasonable accommodation/following the spirit of of a burn ban.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Actually most camp sites with hookups have pretty robust options

I guess I need to find an element that isn't expecting 240v though. Maybe look at consumer air fryer parts.

I was hoping that would dissuade you honestly. Those plugs, as pictured, are 240v. You really shouldn't build this without that fundamental understanding. There has to be something on the market with a UL stamp.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Here's a 120v element.

https://www.etundra.com/restaurant-parts/electrical-parts/elements/broiler/star-manufacturing-2n-y5313-120-volt-1050-watt-broiler-element/

What kind of power supply or junction would I need?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Okay fine you've convinced me not to do it.

Would be fun to make a pizza though.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I bought an LED ceiling fan and the box in the ceiling has two wires, a black one and a dark blue one.

The ceiling fan has very basic instructions, literally just pictures. and it shows three wires being connected to this:

Is there any way for this to work as is??? I live in europe if that matters.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

There are still options. If you have a camper that can supply 120V and you have access to shore power to plug it into then you could use a toaster oven to make a pizza. If you’re patient you could grill a pizza over a camp stove if your location allows contained combustion like that. Please don’t circumvent burn bans!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Have you considered buying a convection oven? Seriously, you have a mountain of power right there.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

double post

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

other people posted:

I bought an LED ceiling fan and the box in the ceiling has two wires, a black one and a dark blue one.

The ceiling fan has very basic instructions, literally just pictures. and it shows three wires being connected to this:

Is there any way for this to work as is??? I live in europe if that matters.

the old iec colours in the EU and UK used black for all phases and blue for neutral, and that picture is the current colours which is brown for L1 and still blue for neutral. By 'LED fan' I guess you mean a fan with a light in? Blue to blue and brown to black would run it but that metal case means it's not double insulated so you'd need to run a cpc/ground to it as well

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PageMaster posted:

Installed my nest hello from my old house and it works fine except the indoor chime no longer works. I found the doorbell transformer in the garage and I think it says 10V 8VA on it (the embossed text on it is incredible hard to make out), while the nest documentation requests 16-24V and 10VA minimum. It also says hire a certified nest professional to upgrade the transformer. These doorbell transformer are 15 bucks, so I'm wondering if it's something I could do; is it just wiring in the new transformer or am I running new and bigger wire?

Edit: chime itself looks like it's rated for 16V 10VA so that part should be fine.

If I’m reading the Nest Hello specs correctly, it requires 16-24vac. A doorbell transformer outputs low voltage DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

MrYenko posted:

If I’m reading the Nest Hello specs correctly, it requires 16-24vac. A doorbell transformer outputs low voltage DC.

Doorbell transformers put out ac. It's just at voltages you expect for DC.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Utilitech-Doorbell-Transformer/3482857 16vac