Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

IAMKOREA posted:

They loving love dogs and take their dogs on the tram or bus where I live. You can also take your dog into the pub, restaurants, pretty much wherever. You can even take your dog into the movie theater here where I live in central Europe. Like literally to watch a movie with you. It owns. edit: also I think crating at home is illegal, but it seems like muzzles are mandatory when dogs are out in public. Also all dogs are super well behaved and there isn't a single stray dog in this whole country which is kind of weird and the reason I don't have a dog yet, since I'm not ready to drop 1000 Euros on a pure bred and there is literally not a dog pound here like where we got all our dogs when I was a kid in the states. It just like doesn't exist.

e: you can definitely take your dog in a taxi, yes.

Why would crating be illegal???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

goodnight mooned posted:

I never saw old people so free as in Holland watching 80+ year olds cruise around in the bike lanes on their mobility scooters. The whole city is open to them and nobody blinks an eye.

yeah the coming epidemic of baby boomers trapped in their homes because theyve aged out of driving safely is frightening to think about. well, more frightening is going to be the epidemic of baby boomers who have aged out of being able to drive safely but still driving and killing a bunch of other people.

my retirement plan is also to move to a city (in the US so lol theres like two or three choices) where its possible to live without a car. gonna be fun!

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
As someone with a crippling fear of driving, I agree that cars suck and I hate them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

car companies conspired to literally make public transportation hell to make people buy cars in the streetcar conspiracy, were caught, and the powers in charge just shrugged their shoulders and it’s the reason to this day we have the lovely bus systems we have

who framed roger rabbit was about a crooked judge and land developer buying up streetcar companies and destroying a minority-majority community (toon town) to put in a freeway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o7DHYmk0gw

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

The internal combustion engine is the single most destructive invention in human history. We need to work to eliminate it immediately, at all costs. Here’s a recommended approach:

Phase 1 – get rid of all 2-stroke engines. All of them, in the next 3 years. gently caress your dirt bike, get a real hobby. and gently caress the leaf blowers.

Phase 2 – all personal vehicles, no ICEs. Within 5 years. If you need a car/motorcycle you can buy an electric one. This includes antiques/collectors, no exceptions, no grandfather clauses. gently caress your Model-T, gently caress your GT whatever. Put an electric motor in it.

Phase 3 – commercial road vehicles. 10 years out. By then we should have solutions for electric truck motors, and hopefully more local production and less required transport overall.

Phase 4 – trains/shipping. Convert them over to hydrogen or some other carbon neutral fuel if you have to. Nuclear vessels.

Hopefully within the next 30 years the planet will be completely ICE-free. God knows the poles will be.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

raspurtin posted:

The internal combustion engine is the single most destructive invention in human history. We need to work to eliminate it immediately, at all costs. Here’s a recommended approach:

Phase 1 – get rid of all 2-stroke engines. All of them, in the next 3 years. gently caress your dirt bike, get a real hobby. and gently caress the leaf blowers.

Phase 2 – all personal vehicles, no ICEs. Within 5 years. If you need a car/motorcycle you can buy an electric one. This includes antiques/collectors, no exceptions, no grandfather clauses. gently caress your Model-T, gently caress your GT whatever. Put an electric motor in it.

Phase 3 – commercial road vehicles. 10 years out. By then we should have solutions for electric truck motors, and hopefully more local production and less required transport overall.

Phase 4 – trains/shipping. Convert them over to hydrogen or some other carbon neutral fuel if you have to. Nuclear vessels.

Hopefully within the next 30 years the planet will be completely ICE-free. God knows the poles will be.

this but unironically

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the only thing that might be worse than cars are the idiots driving them

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

raspurtin posted:

The internal combustion engine is the single most destructive invention in human history.

i'd say facebook is #1

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Minrad posted:

the only thing that might be worse than cars are the idiots driving them

this. everyone except for me is an idiot driver

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

if i never drove a car again it'd be too soon

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

don’t live closer than 500m to a highway if at all possible or you’ll be inhaling a ton of UFP (ultrafine particles) all day and night

http://blog.cityprojections.com/2018/12/how-far-should-you-live-from-road-to.html?m=1

if you’re in a place like LA, you’re just hosed due to nocturnal inversion. you’ll get asthma, then dementia and then you’ll die

don’t even get me started on airports lmao. if you’re downwind of one within like 5 miles, baby you’re hosed

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 05:44 on Aug 12, 2021

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

lobster shirt posted:

my retirement plan is also to move to a city (in the US so lol theres like two or three choices) where its possible to live without a car. gonna be fun!

One of the first things my mom said when we spent some time in Manhattan together was "Wow, old people are just out and about here" (in a good way). Actually eye-opening for someone from suburban life

raspurtin posted:

:haibrow:

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I regret to inform you that the only way to rid us of the demon ICE is degrowth, there aren’t enough minerals on earth to replace the whole ICE fossil dependent fleet with a mineral
dependent electric fleet

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Having a brain so broken by car culture that your solution only consists of switching the engine that runs the beast

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

who framed roger rabbit was about a crooked judge and land developer buying up streetcar companies and destroying a minority-majority community (toon town) to put in a freeway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o7DHYmk0gw

true. pisses me off so bad.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Junkozeyne posted:

Having a brain so broken by car culture that your solution only consists of switching the engine that runs the beast

this

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Junkozeyne posted:

Even before COVID, Chinese car sales were steadily dropping.

Another thing about the Red Car, it was actually consolidated with the Yellow Cars into the MTA in 1958 and so for 3 years was a publically funded system until it was obliterated.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:03 on Aug 12, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

actionjackson posted:

yeah, thanks, I'm talking about situations where they can't, for example medical procedures, that's all

Ah, yeah I see. I suppose you can get a normal cab? Even the most car free European cities aren't completely car free. There is also some animal emergency service here, but I don't know how that works exactly.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Junkozeyne posted:

It would be nice to destroy them all, and that should be the long term goal, but in the short term we need to get off fossil fuels without having to retool the entire transportation infrastructure.

But yeah, recently it came out that chemicals in car tires are killing salmon. Cars, not just ICEs, are all around garbage technology for idiots.
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/12/common-tire-chemical-implicated-mysterious-deaths-risk-salmon

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Electric cars also can almost be as bad as a hybrid electric car in terms of emissions depending on your location. Hell, I think in Poland it may actually be worse than a standard ICE.

Just slowly shifting to electric cars will not do jack, especially if you are still building natural gas plants based on fracking.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:44 on Aug 12, 2021

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
electric cars aren't a "solution" anyway because rapidly shifting to them would require such a massive change in everything that it's almost inconceivable

like yeah maybe everyone will drive electric cars by 2045 or some poo poo, but if you want that to happen by 2030 then the government literally needs to buy everyone a car. that might get you 70% of the way there in the US, but you'd need to outright ban ICE vehicles on public roads to go the rest of the way.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

raspurtin posted:

Electric cars still suck rear end, and as much as they're better in terms of carbon emissions from the motor, they also mean giant lithium mines where we all have to toil to mine lithium to power our cars so we can drive to our jobs in the lithium pits.

Flintstone cars are the way to go, or better yet back to horses.

As for trains, I mean electric trains are already a thing, you just need good rail infrastructure. We should genuinely go back to sail power for cargo ships.

Aircraft of all types should be banned, if you want to go to Japan to buy funko pops or whatever then get ready for a 2 week journey in the bottom of a sail ship.

no youre a liberal
Mar 28, 2009

our future

Junkozeyne posted:

it is easier to imagine an end to the world than an end to car culture

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

actionjackson posted:

i'd say facebook is #1

Nah. Not even close. Think of all those years lead was added to petrol and the mental destruction that wrought on the Boomers.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aTViwJWmCY

:vince:

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

actionjackson posted:

i'd say facebook is #1

facebook for all its faults probably doesn't kill 100,000 people in the US alone every year

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

cars are cool as gently caress and i love to race cars but if we just banned all commuter vehicles (electric is just a bandaid on a deep, infected wound) i would not be upset in the least. suburbs, highways, and parking lots are the long lasting blight that automobiles have inflicted on the world. nothing wrong with cars (even ICE is manageable with proper design and CO2 offsetting), but designing whole cities and countries based on their constant usage has ruined us

not enough hate for global shipping too tho imo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Americans despise the idea of public transit because it means sometimes you may have to walk a few blocks

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

raspurtin posted:

a good start

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

not to mention the incredible co2 output from the production of 1-2 tons steel for a vehicle that will be discarded in a few years. we should be building more long lasting and durable automobiles if they must exist imo

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

genericnick posted:

Ah, yeah I see. I suppose you can get a normal cab? Even the most car free European cities aren't completely car free. There is also some animal emergency service here, but I don't know how that works exactly.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be no problem in Europe, in the US it's pretty restrictive. You definitely can't take an animal on any sort of public transportation unless it's a service animal.

sat on my keys! posted:

facebook for all its faults probably doesn't kill 100,000 people in the US alone every year

I'm talking much more indirectly as it's by far the most influential in sowing disinformation, undermining democracies, etc.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Aug 12, 2021

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

raspurtin posted:

I don't really know poo poo about what the actual policy was but the last time I was in china for work (2017) all of those Honda cub based motorbikes and the like that used to pretty much all over Shanghai were straight up gone and it was just e-bikes everywhere.

One of our Chinese fixers said the government had banned them and so everyone went out and bought e-bikes. Feels like pretty much any country could do the same without all that much disruption.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Brrrmph posted:

I have a car. Public transportation around the Twin Cities is inadequate. If I took buses to work it would take about 80 minutes each way vs. a 20 minute drive each way.

But at least during the pandemic I’ve driven significantly less, at one point taking the insurance off my car and not touching it for six months.

Buses are part of car culture and should be eliminated as well OP.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Combustible engine is cursed imo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

skewetoo posted:

Combustible engine All non-nuclear forms of power generation is cursed imo

put nuclear reactors in cars

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Butternubs posted:

Aircraft of all types should be banned, if you want to go to Japan to buy funko pops or whatever then get ready for a 2 week journey in the bottom of a sail ship.

Yeah, air travel is something else that needs to go. Maybe if you could generate some kind of carbon-neutral fuel, like extracting the CO2 from the air and processing it into fuel oil. At least you'd have net 0 carbon emissions.

But it takes a lot of energy to create hydrocarbons from CO2, and you end up emitting a lot of CO2 to create the necessary tools. We need to get nuclear fusion online STAT to generate the electricity to create the fuel to fly my rear end to Paris for the next climate summit.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Why would crating be illegal???

you can't believe how well dogs have it in some parts of europe. they're first class members of society. stray dogs do not exist. almost every single dog is a pure breed, most with papers. like i said, you can take your dog to the movie theater or on the train with you no problem. so it's illegal for the same reason crating a 5 year old is illegal. although actually i think i was wrong about the country i live in, but it is illegal in several others here.

i also just looked it up and there are several taxi services here in my city that will gladly take dogs if you need to for instance take a sleepy big dog home from the vet

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Aug 12, 2021

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Los Angeles would be best served by replacing cars with Chihuahua-powered dog sleds.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I live in Phoenix. I do not fear hell because it could never be worse than having to live here. Cars are the primary reason why it sucks so much, the 120 degree heat is the other primary reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Maybe AC is a far worse invention than cars