Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Moving all that oil to far flung islands is a pain, but yeah, it's the production of 3 farms in the space of 2 farms with the workforce of like 1.5 farms? It made my future planning alot easier when I figured out space wise, 3 farms turns into 2 farms (leave space for 2 tractor barns when you build the first 3)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Moving all that oil to far flung islands is a pain, but yeah, it's the production of 3 farms in the space of 2 farms with the workforce of like 1.5 farms? It made my future planning alot easier when I figured out space wise, 3 farms turns into 2 farms (leave space for 2 tractor barns when you build the first 3)
I never realized that is the ratio for how many farms you can replace, and it is so simple.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm sure Anno 2070 has actual names for all the citizens somewhere, but now that I'm making an LP, I've realized I've started assigning them all nicknames.

Scruffy, Eden Initiative Laborer

Billy Bob and his hat, Eden Initiative Employee

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I think they may have names if you look in the profile customization page at the icons? Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

Also Eco Employee for some reason drives me up the wall. Smugfuck McGee. He just oozes "slacktivist" to me. Making the world a better place by practicing yoga, all the while producing thousands of tons of e-Waste because I swear he literally eats iPods for breakfast.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the tycoons are better at ecology than the ecos since they don't devour huge quantities of what wildlands exist with organic rice farms

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

It really annoyed me how much nuclear power would tank your eco score compared to dairy farms or fishing piers (the latter considered by the game to be harmless in any number).

In 1800 I never have enough Influence; is there any reason to make carriages for my Investors? Meeting Investor needs doesn't increase Influence at all, correct? I hope the High Life DLC does something to incentivize it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

dividertabs posted:

It really annoyed me how much nuclear power would tank your eco score compared to dairy farms or fishing piers (the latter considered by the game to be harmless in any number).

In 1800 I never have enough Influence; is there any reason to make carriages for my Investors? Meeting Investor needs doesn't increase Influence at all, correct? I hope the High Life DLC does something to incentivize it.

The nuclear was weird in that the Tycoon populations would throw a massive poo poo-fit if they were on the same island as a nuclear plant, but the Ecos and Techs didn't care.

As for Tycoons: money and the needs will give you more population. More population=more influence as your corporation/psuedo-nation levels up. Every level is 20 points. The wants just make them happy and manageable. If you have the Tourist Season DLC their restaurants, cafes and bars will do wonders in reducing how much higher tier populations eat (and give them happiness boosts) while also giving you giant piles of population. Obviously the larger you grow the harder it is to reach the next population tier, but other than getting investor houses it's the only way to get influence.

Someone a while back said they'd found that Enbessa is a great mid-game source of population/cash since so many of their early-mid resources are exclusive...and those that aren't: well I'm sure you've got a few spare clay deposits you could actually put to use.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Alkydere posted:

As for Tycoons: money and the needs will give you more population. More population=more influence as your corporation/psuedo-nation levels up. Every level is 20 points. The wants just make them happy and manageable. If you have the Tourist Season DLC their restaurants, cafes and bars will do wonders in reducing how much higher tier populations eat (and give them happiness boosts) while also giving you giant piles of population. Obviously the larger you grow the harder it is to reach the next population tier, but other than getting investor houses it's the only way to get influence.

According to the wiki that 20 influence is 15 or 10 on medium/hard respectively. At 90k pop, 20k investors, I would get less than 1 profile level from supplying each investor with cars. In conclusion, satisfying Investor needs is worse than just upgrading more residences.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

dividertabs posted:

Yes, influence comes from investor houses, not from investors. So if your goal is pure influence you can upgrade engineer houses and stop supplying them, letting them survive on pure electricity or whatever.
Supplying them only gets you more money and more investors(in case you need them for uhh, exhibition discount I guess?).
Granted you also get influence from total population, but the population needed for next level seems to grow non-linearly, so that isn't a practical way to get it once you're past 100k population or so.
There's also one of palace policies making engineer residences give 1 influence if they're in town hall range, so you could use that to get influence from actually useful workforce.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 2, 2021

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

dividertabs posted:

According to the wiki that 20 influence is 15 or 10 on medium/hard respectively. At 90k pop, 20k investors, I would get less than 1 profile level from supplying each investor with cars. In conclusion, satisfying Investor needs is worse than just upgrading more residences.

Yes, but at some point you reach the point where the Investors start to require more needs on the happiness side at least, so you're likely going to be at least chasing gold and brass for jewelry and gramophones.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

AHAHAHA! YES! I FINALLY DID IT!

After all of this time I finally stuck with a game long enough to build my first World's Fair!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

victrix posted:

How's the coop in 2205 and 1800?

From a few weeks back:

After playing with a friend for a few hours in 1800, I can confirm its flipping awesome. Maybe it gets annoying at some point, but so far it's every bit as good as 2070 was in coop.

Puzzling out how everything works and building up an empire together is a blast, and the crazy scale and scope of this game works really well in coop, you can have one person off in another region building up a new island while the other takes care of supply lines or growth back home.

Highly recommended if you've got a buddy who wants to chill out and build together.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Didn't realize that skyscrapers were going to be this big of a deal.

https://anno-union.com/devblog-skyscrapers/

It's hard to quote this because there's a bunch of images as well so hopefully it can be easily read by folks.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Mayveena posted:

Didn't realize that skyscrapers were going to be this big of a deal.

https://anno-union.com/devblog-skyscrapers/

It's hard to quote this because there's a bunch of images as well so hopefully it can be easily read by folks.

That all seems really cool and is gonna make me fire up Anno again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Oh my, Engineers can be skyscrapered too? Nifty. Also oh boy more needs to shove down the investors' hungry gullets. Please tell me at least one of them uses Red Peppers. The most under-appreciated, under-used crop. Used only for Goulash until you get someone to replace the input.

Also I love the idea of the investor need list getting taller and taller with the building until it scrolls off the screen. I understand why they didn't do it, but it amuses me.

Oh and hooray release date! Aug. 31st

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Alkydere posted:

Oh my, Engineers can be skyscrapered too?

Welcome to Triangle Shirtwaist Island.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

our faces when we discovered a new region: :aaa:

our faces when we discovered multiple regions: :aaaaa:

our faces when we hit electricity: :psyduck:

this game is pretty amazing

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

victrix posted:

our faces when we discovered a new region: :aaa:

our faces when we discovered multiple regions: :aaaaa:

our faces when we hit electricity: :psyduck:

this game is pretty amazing

Electricity is quite a mindfuck and honestly many people restart the first time they hit it. It's one of those things you either have to get used to a messy, chaotic looking city (not a bad thing: more room to make little parks!) or plan for it ahead of time (which admittedly you can't do if you don't know the mechanic that's coming up)

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
Having just reached Enbessa - 'Remember how we tortured you with rivers in the New World? Get ready to make your own torturous waterways to navigate'

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Asciana posted:

Having just reached Enbessa - 'Remember how we tortured you with rivers in the New World? Get ready to make your own torturous waterways to navigate'

discovering water had to be attached to specific points on the buildings and source was a fun one

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What am I not getting about Morale on expeditions? I've been using https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Expeditions#Morale_and_Supplies as a reference, but I don't understand why different ships have different starting (incredibly low) Morale values?

And then on top of that, I loaded a ship up with 50t of theoretically high morale goods on top of meeting all needs for the expedition and I'm still sitting at 26% Morale?

What am I missing here:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I don't know the exact math but the items you equip a ship with also have a major impact on morale. Clippers are pretty poo poo for expeditions since they only have the one slot. Filling up a ship of the line with blue items for two stars or purple items for three stars will generally get you to good morale.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Yeah, higher-tier goods or use something other than a Clipper so you can put multiple people or ship items on them.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
I'm planning on starting a co-op game with my wife and have all of the DLC. Would I need to buy it all again for her to enable it in multiplayer, or could we get away with just the base game?

Shivers
Oct 31, 2011

Koryk posted:

I'm planning on starting a co-op game with my wife and have all of the DLC. Would I need to buy it all again for her to enable it in multiplayer, or could we get away with just the base game?

Some quick googling tells me that all players need to own the DLC in order for it to work.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

victrix posted:

What am I not getting about Morale on expeditions? I've been using https://anno1800.fandom.com/wiki/Expeditions#Morale_and_Supplies as a reference, but I don't understand why different ships have different starting (incredibly low) Morale values?

And then on top of that, I loaded a ship up with 50t of theoretically high morale goods on top of meeting all needs for the expedition and I'm still sitting at 26% Morale?

What am I missing here:

What level is that expedition? 3 stars? I would suggest that a clipper can't handle that for a couple of reasons.

If you click on the dry dock and hover over the ship building buttons, you'll see the numbers that those ships contribute towards expeditions. e.g. military ones do naval power, whereas cargo ones tend to do navigation.

Secondly, for 3 star expeditions I'm generally using a steam cargo ship in order to get 6 slots and 2 hold items, or the battle cruiser for 3 + 4, depending on whether it's a navigation or naval power expedition. If it's neither, it's always a cargo ship.

Thirdly, that the products you've chosen only give like +20 to their bonus, and only when 50 tonnes of the stuff is taken. Products aren't the best option. Generally, I'm loading up on the following:
1) A ration for food, such as schnapps or champagne depending on whether I need +medical or +diplomacy
2) Tonnes of high-end (epic/legendary) characters who tick 25+ in 2 of the categories
3) whatever I have leftover that makes the most sense.

That'll generally get me up to the 80s/90s morale on the hardest quests.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

victrix posted:

What am I missing here:

You're missing that goods aren't great for expeditions, items are way better.
For example ship's chaplain is just a blue item but gives more than bread and guns stacks:
Faith:+25
Naval Power: +35
Navigation: +15
Champagne and schnapps are the rations to use, but the rest should be items. Also when expedition calls for naval power, use a military ship.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Looks like I need to go shopping, we don't have many quality items, mostly seem to get people

What determines a ship's starting morale? Some ships seem to have a way higher base morale but I can't figure out what's influencing it

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

victrix posted:

What determines a ship's starting morale? Some ships seem to have a way higher base morale but I can't figure out what's influencing it

Ships have built-in navigation/naval power values, you can see them in a tooltip while selecting the ship, so that reflects on morale
Clippers and cargo ships have 20 navigation but no naval power, ships of the line have 0 navigation but 50 naval power, frigates have 10 navigation and 20 power.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Also bread is a laughably palty 5 faith. Good to stack on the bonus if you've got other faith items along, not gonna carry you on your own.

Koryk posted:

I dunno about the major DLC because I've played with a friend who had the major DLC but not the cosmetics. The cosmetics I could use but she could not. She could, however, move/copy them once I placed them.

Either way, for your wife's intro game the base game is certainly enough. Especially once you get to Engineers and she sees why you left space in your cities.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Pyromancer posted:

Ships have built-in navigation/naval power values, you can see them in a tooltip while selecting the ship, so that reflects on morale
Clippers and cargo ships have 20 navigation but no naval power, ships of the line have 0 navigation but 50 naval power, frigates have 10 navigation and 20 power.

I think I must have been noticing ships carrying cargo then, I couldn't figure out why the assign ship screen would randomly have ships with 50-100 morale

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

victrix posted:

I think I must have been noticing ships carrying cargo then, I couldn't figure out why the assign ship screen would randomly have ships with 50-100 morale

Maybe that's what it's been for me, but it's totally felt like I've had ships with like, good starting morale or something, and I dont remember it dropping as I was setting them up for expedition.

I was just imaging that ships that took morale penalties during expedition basically were debuffed and you were overcoming past morale losses. (But that wouldn't explain ships that have low morale without ever being on expedition.)

The SS BaconBooze was just never the same after that zoological expedition.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
Some new details on the upcoming DLC

New items, more DLC integration, it's looking good!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kris xK posted:

Some new details on the upcoming DLC

New items, more DLC integration, it's looking good!

Excuse me, I need to go curl up in a corner and scream a bit...

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Honestly that picture is super exciting for me. New production chains using some old materials is really going to force me to adjust existing industries.

I just hope the final product isn't available at the docklands.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

Hmm, the baby making process is apparently a lot more convoluted than I have been led to believe

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Does The Arctic provide anything besides gas? I’ve only played with it once and I remember spending hours and hours and hours there to get everything set up and feeing really underwhelmed. I guess it’s the only way to get airships, but are they really all that much better than cargo ships?

This new DLC is gonna make me fire up a new game for sure. I think I’m gonna try doing the bare minimum in the old world and mostly build on trelawney which I’ve not really engaged with a ton before. I didn’t really deal with enbesa last game either, so I think I’ll ditch the Arctic and focus more on that storyline.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Does The Arctic provide anything besides gas? I’ve only played with it once and I remember spending hours and hours and hours there to get everything set up and feeing really underwhelmed. I guess it’s the only way to get airships, but are they really all that much better than cargo ships?

This new DLC is gonna make me fire up a new game for sure. I think I’m gonna try doing the bare minimum in the old world and mostly build on trelawney which I’ve not really engaged with a ton before. I didn’t really deal with enbesa last game either, so I think I’ll ditch the Arctic and focus more on that storyline.

Arctic provides:
-Gas
-Zeppelins (which were apparently the king of inter-session cargo despite their 4 slots until Reefers knocked them off of their slot)
-Cheap/alternative furs/gold (2.5x more productive per building than their vanilla counterparts)
-Alternate recipes for Tourist Season dining facilities and High Life shopping locales.
-Alternate source for the ores to make brass (Once you get certain items from Nate).

Basically the Arctic is the "alternate" region that provides alternate sources for a lot of stuff. Entirely up to the player if they want to focus on zeps/natural gas or arctic gold/furs or focus on New World oil/fur/gold.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Gadzuko posted:

Hmm, the baby making process is apparently a lot more convoluted than I have been led to believe

Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Caconym posted:

Sugar and spice and everything nice.

Thats just for girls tho, the baby is clearly wearing blue so is OBVIOUSLY a boy.

So clearly their is an unannounced Kennel where we make puppy dog tails and some sort of escargots industry yet to be seen.