Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2wkAMvq9j0SNSIiO6O7qqt

Heres a fun new Behind The Bastards episode on Covid grifters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

A Fancy Hat posted:

My personal hope is that (at least in more blue states) it becomes almost impossible to do anything without having gotten vaccinated or having a negative covid test and a mask on. Movie theaters, shopping, restaurants, flights. I'd think you'd get more fully vaxxed people spending money if they're not at risk of getting a breakthrough case from some moron that's in their general vicinity.

Let somebody open up their own "vax free" restaurant if they want, then I can know to avoid it and we can see how long it lasts when they can't staff the place and when half the regular patrons end up in the hospital.
Being here in Central IL the issue is that there's no actual blue states, just blue regions of states.

Southern Illinois will willfully ignore any mandates like this from the state, local authorities (police, town governments, town regulators) will defiantly refuse to comply, there will be yet more overwrought analogies to the Third Reich, and the state simply doesn't have any way to enforce compliance when refusal is at that large a scale.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

about 12hrs after getting my 2nd jab i felt flush for about 4-5 hours and then went back to normal. everyone had me sweating these side effects but I guess I lucked out.

anyways that's my dumb procrastination story, hope more folks get it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

meat police posted:

about 12hrs after getting my 2nd jab i felt flush for about 4-5 hours and then went back to normal. everyone had me sweating these side effects but I guess I lucked out.

Thank you for your service

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

meat police posted:

Literally everyone in person I’ve talked to had no side effects to report at all except a sore arm.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

e: Delayed double post.

As penance heres a YouTube link a Covid hoax colleague passed along in his attempts to red pill me.

E: dumb

Scam Likely fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 12, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Why even share it out? The way propaganda works some lurker is gonna get radicalized.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

spunkshui posted:

Literally everyone in person I’ve talked to had no side effects to report at all except a sore arm.

my second shot was brutal, and i got the side effects on my birthday of all days. mostly intense body aches and fever which had me in and out of sleep for most of the day, plus a mild headache that was barely worth mentioning compared to the aches and fever. the next day i barely even had a sore arm tho lol

i read somewhere there may be something about your blood type being a factor?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

meat police posted:

For the 2nd shot, my side of the family had no symptoms besides a sore arm. My ex-wife and her daughter both got nauseous the following day. Someone I worked with went down-for-the-count and took 2 days off.

It seems like reactions to the vaccine vary as much as reactions to the virus. Makes me wonder if the people that react badly (to the shot) would've been hospitalized/killed from COVID-19.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

my second shot was brutal, and i got the side effects on my birthday of all days. mostly intense body aches and fever which had me in and out of sleep for most of the day, plus a mild headache that was barely worth mentioning compared to the aches and fever. the next day i barely even had a sore arm tho lol

my second moderna was super duper-level brutal for about 7 hours at T+13, then I felt pretty normal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm definitely feeling a tad nauseous/disorientated after getting vaccinated a few hours ago for the 2nd time. It's not bad enough to stop me working but kinda annoying.

I had the same thing with the 1st one and it goes away by the next day to be replaced by my arm feeling incredibly weak so excited for my arm not working tomorrow.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i mean, i took the day off for my second jab, but not because it actually was that bad. just that everyone in my office was doing that 'i'm gonna take the day off in case it gets bad' thing and i'll be damned if i'm missing out on an excuse for a day off

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Yeah I just lied to work and called out for both shots. Gotta use that PSL lol

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Well, why can't I just poo poo ANYWHERE I want?

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1425838259754569731

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

I remember near the start of the pandemic there was a story out of Wuhan that seemed to point out that type O blood seemed to have less severe infections, but I think that’s been disproved since, and it was also a really small sample size.

I had Pfizer for both shots. Brain fog, sore arm, 1-2 hours of very minor temp change (felt hot for first shot, chills with second, but again really minor and short). Also some other minor side effects like tiredness very light headache, lesser appetite. Blood type O-

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

I hate this poo poo so much. All it does is further cement partisanship.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

if you can't take the heat, get out of the conservative own-zone, bucko :cool:

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast
Alternatively, making GBS threads on idiots who couldn't reason their way out of a wet paper bag is funny.

They would never deign to reach across the isle so why the gently caress do you care?

Blitter fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 12, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Number_6 posted:

Why are these idiots so ragingly angry about little Jimmy wearing a mask in school? What do they think is going to happen? Did they find out the masks are coated with secret transgender-inducing microbes, or nanobots that are going to install Marxism OS 2.0 in Jimmy's brain?

Judging by local facebook comments we've got:
* Calling masks harmful without explaining why. -- Nothing specific to rebut here, they're just wrong.
* Claiming masks do not stop the virus from spreading -- Technically correct for non-fitted masks below N95 grade, I guess. Masks slow spread of the virus but do not fully stop it.
* Claiming masks contain grafene (sic), which is extremely harmful for children's lungs -- I guess some masks do contain graphene and I have no idea about the harm thing but you could just get ones that don't?
* Asking to see the science on masks and saying it is wrong -- This person already has their conclusion, showing them the science is a waste of time.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dren posted:

If you think bipartisanship exists you’re living in a neoliberal fantasyland.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Blitter posted:

Alternatively, making GBS threads on idiots who couldn't reason their way put of a wet paper bag is funny.

They would never deign to reach across the isle so why the gently caress do you care?

Taking two views that apparently conflict and assigning them to a strawman version of your political opponent to mock them is an incredibly popular thing but it's loving stupid and here's why. Actual people who don't wear a mask because God will protect them have a wide range of views on gun ownership and people who own guns may be pro-mask. Conflating the two positions to make a joke alienates those people and encourages people in the in-group to think of everyone else as big dumb idiots instead of complex, imperfect people who we can talk to. It is purely harmful discourse.

You could easily follow the same formula to come up with conservative memes that are just as stupid and harmful. Something along the lines of "If liberals are pro-choice why is there a mask mandate?"

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Boy how about that coronavirus, eh?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Dren posted:

Taking two views that apparently conflict and assigning them to a strawman version of your political opponent to mock them is an incredibly popular thing but it's loving stupid and here's why. Actual people who don't wear a mask because God will protect them have a wide range of views on gun ownership and people who own guns may be pro-mask. Conflating the two positions to make a joke alienates those people and encourages people in the in-group to think of everyone else as big dumb idiots instead of complex, imperfect people who we can talk to. It is purely harmful discourse.

You could easily follow the same formula to come up with conservative memes that are just as stupid and harmful. Something along the lines of "If liberals are pro-choice why is there a mask mandate?"

Won’t somebody think of the plague spreaders? If we talk to them nicely and reasonably I’m sure they’ll quit all of this.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dren posted:

I agree with you but I'll let you in on a little secret. Conservatives don't like us even an iota more when we're nice to them. In fact they view that attitude as deception. May as well call them out for the fools they are as destructive as it is.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Dren posted:

you're right but i doubt you'll find much sympathy for it in this thread lol

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/aug/12/mississippi-covid-surge-straining-hospitals

quote:

On Tuesday, the state’s chief health officer, Dr Joseph Kanter, warned that the peak of the latest surge could be weeks away, meaning “catastrophic” consequences for the state’s hospital systems.

“I can’t say when we’re going to peak. There’s just no good, no confidence-inspiring modeling to look at. I will say, God forbid if we don’t peak within a week or two. It’s just simply going to be a catastrophic situation for hospitals. There’s just no way to remotely sustain that,” Kanter said.

The governor, like other conservative leaders in the region, has declined to issue a statewide mask mandate during the surge, but unlike his counterparts in Texas and Florida, has not banned local mask orders outright, instead leaving the decision to municipalities. Reeves did however attempt to discredit updated mask-wearing guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as “foolish and harmful”.

Death! Death! Death! Death!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Boy how about that coronavirus, eh?

not great

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Crackbone posted:

Won’t somebody think of the plague spreaders? If we talk to them nicely and reasonably I’m sure they’ll quit all of this.

If the goal is to get the plague spreaders to quit plague spreading then tell me, how effective has making jokes about them been at doing that?

I'm not saying you need to do outreach or that it would even work. What I'm saying is making these sorts of jokes is purely harmful to both sides of the discourse.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

Dren posted:

If the goal is to get the plague spreaders to quit plague spreading then tell me, how effective has making jokes about them been at doing that?

I'm not saying you need to do outreach or that it would even work. What I'm saying is making these sorts of jokes is purely harmful to both sides of the discourse.

Maybe it would be much worse without the tiny amount of regular mockery they receive.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Any opinions on this preprint: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v2

It found Pfizer to only be 42% effective at protecting against delta infection, BUT this was for the month of July in Minnesota and not a large scale finding from what I understood. What are the chances of it being just a statistical anomaly?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I had no side effects from the first shot but had some fatigue and body chills after the second one. Those only lasted that day though.

I'm getting a little depressed about how endemic this disease is now. I've been doing some stuff like playing hockey and occasionally seeing a movie since I got my shots months ago and now I'm starting to feel somewhat guilty about that and wondering if I should even be risking it at all and also whether I'm exposing other people by doing stuff. I mean I know the shot will probably prevent bad outcomes for me but it also seems inevitable that I will catch this if I keep doing things. I kept myself on super strict lockdown prior to getting a shot and it's depressing to imagine going back to that but the way this Delta poo poo is heading how is there any end game but that?

I hate to doom post but holy gently caress is this poo poo depressing and it feels like there's no end game in sight.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Dren posted:

I get where you're coming from but then you go and imply there is a discourse with these people at stake, which makes me wonder if you've actually ever talked to one.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Won't someone think about :decorum:!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Dren posted:

I agree, this is an issue that needs full cooperation from everyone, and radicalizing on either side has clearly not worked and based on the past few decades it's not gonna work.

Making fun or shaming the other side doesn't work, just makes them dig in (referring to pro and anti-mask, conspiracy theorists vs regular brains, not necessarily republicans vs democrats, because this issue is global). It might be funny and makes you feel superior for a bit, for sure

What's the solution though, when one side is all holier-than-thou about it, and the other side is dumb-as-gently caress and stubborn, because it hasn't happened to them and they're incapable of thinking about the future

imo it will just have to burn itself out, enough people will need to die to make the negationist side acquiesce. How many people need to suffer for this to happen? Who knows, but it seems like a waste to me.

I wonder when did life become so worthless for the modern world. Was it because of overpopulation?

Whenever I see a movie and they're like"We gotta risk everything to save this guy!" or some videogame with "this could be a TRAGEDY, hundreds of people could die! You have to save them, Commander Hammer!" I just look at 2021 and see 4 millions dead from Covid and laugh

I swear I started this post with optimism

Maybe some sort of positive peer pressure, but I don't know what that looks like at this point

Definitely start with killing facebook, or at least regulating their misinformation and making it expensive for them to continue allowing crap on their site for idiots

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My 7 month old is so loving pale because I can’t take him anywhere for fear of the virus, and I can’t even take him for walks outside because the air quality is so bad.
I’m not usually a gloomy person but I’m getting pretty depressed and it seems like there is no end in sight. Sorry to be a downer, I just had to vent somewhere.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

remigious posted:

My 7 month old is so loving pale because I can’t take him anywhere for fear of the virus, and I can’t even take him for walks outside because the air quality is so bad.
I’m not usually a gloomy person but I’m getting pretty depressed and it seems like there is no end in sight. Sorry to be a downer, I just had to vent somewhere.

I don't know about the rest, but we should at least have vaccines for the kids in a couple months, I hope

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Any opinions on this preprint: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.08.06.21261707v2

It found Pfizer to only be 42% effective at protecting against delta infection, BUT this was for the month of July in Minnesota and not a large scale finding from what I understood. What are the chances of it being just a statistical anomaly?

I don’t know how many Pfizer patients actually were infected in absolute terms, I just skimmed the abstract, but you probably caught on to the wide confidence interval:

quote:

BNT162b2: 42%, 95% CI: 13-62%

If other similar studies of efficacy vs Delta are anything to go by, the true number will be somewhere in the 60% range which means this study doesn’t even have to be wrong, it agrees with them.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don’t know how many Pfizer patients actually were infected in absolute terms, I just skimmed the abstract, but you probably caught on to the wide confidence interval:

If other similar studies of efficacy vs Delta are anything to go by, the true number will be somewhere in the 60% range which means this study doesn’t even have to be wrong, it agrees with them.

Yeah, my statistics knowledge is nowhere near enough to comment on anything with confidence, but I did notice the large CI range. That, combined with the fact that the CI range for hospitalization was even larger (24-93.9%) and no one cared about that, gave me a bit of hope that it's not a major case of Pfizer losing effectiveness.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Whenever I see a movie and they're like"We gotta risk everything to save this guy!" or some videogame with "this could be a TRAGEDY, hundreds of people could die! You have to save them, Commander Hammer!" I just look at 2021 and see 4 millions dead from Covid and laugh

i used to think wars were a big deal because lots of people died in them. apparently mass death is no cause for concern, though, so I guess wars are just a bunch of people trespassing and doing property damage?

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

rt4 posted:

I don't know about the rest, but we should at least have vaccines for the kids in a couple months, I hope

Yeah, and it’s possible he may have some protection from antibodies passed to him via breast milk, but there’s not a ton of research on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

The similar study in Qatar noted that they aren't seeing the same lower effectiveness in cases in Canada and the UK which could mean that either that longer dosing interval actually did do something or if immunity wanes then the fact those second shots were later means they're still having a stronger effect there.