Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a finale to the archonexus ending similar to the stranded ship where you have to defend it while it boots up, or do you just win once you have all the map fragments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

isndl posted:

I did a quick test at one point and it seemed like you can have a pawn hit approx 40k value if you install archotech/bionics in every slot plus all the extras from Royalty that go into the brain/torso slot as implants, I didn't get to figuring out what the most valuable equipment loadout would be to see if that scrounge up the other 30k but I doubt you can fit enough gear for that.

Regardless of your pawn value though you still need to get your faction relationship up to Allied in order to do the colony sale, so you have some time to churn out statues or drugs or whatever. Even using their ideology to raise your starting relationship level seems to max out at around +30.

Getting the relationship to allied status is the easiest part. When you have a colony with 1 million wealth you can send any crap to them to instantly get +100. I made goats venerated so I can't slaughter/eat them so when one dies in a raid or from disease or whatever I just put it in a pod and send it away. You get a ludicrous amount of relationship when sending a single dead baby goat, add some stacks of plainleather and you are there in no time at all.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

TjyvTompa posted:

Getting the relationship to allied status is the easiest part. When you have a colony with 1 million wealth you can send any crap to them to instantly get +100. I made goats venerated so I can't slaughter/eat them so when one dies in a raid or from disease or whatever I just put it in a pod and send it away. You get a ludicrous amount of relationship when sending a single dead baby goat, add some stacks of plainleather and you are there in no time at all.

I mean yeah sure but you don't have a million goats to launch at them, you have five pawns and five animals because that's how the archonexus deal works. If you're trying to rush the quest line then at minimum you need to walk over to their settlement to gift things because you have no launcher tech.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

isndl posted:

I mean yeah sure but you don't have a million goats to launch at them, you have five pawns and five animals because that's how the archonexus deal works. If you're trying to rush the quest line then at minimum you need to walk over to their settlement to gift things because you have no launcher tech.

I must admit I am not following you now, maybe I am misunderstanding something. Isn't the process to get your colony to 1 million wealth, get allied relationship and then sell the colony? And then you do the same thing over again with your 5 pawns, start a new colony, get it to 1 million wealth, get relationship to allied status and then sell that colony? In that case it won't be a problem to get allied relationship since you are at 1 million wealth when you need to do it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it's actually 350k wealth, which is really easy to hit, I used a mod that allows you to modify the quest reqs to make it marinate a little while before offering it.
even with Very Slow research (25%) and with tribal background (all the higher tech stuff costs 4x or whatever) it still only took me 10ish years to research almost everything in the tree

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Do wandering drifters ever not betray you? I'm at 4 in a row now all betrayed me. There's a pile of graves dudes, where do you think those came from?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've only ever had them betray me once, while most of them were asleep, so my colonists just ran in and beat the piss out of them before they could get out of bed :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've had one betray me and several who later drop podded gifts to me.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Danaru posted:

I've only ever had them betray me once, while most of them were asleep, so my colonists just ran in and beat the piss out of them before they could get out of bed :v:

Checks out.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Danaru posted:

BattleMaster posted:

I've had one betray me and several who later drop podded gifts to me.

I wonder if memes or something impacts it? I am playing a raider religion and they all just hammer that betray button. I don't put a ton of attention into their mood but I don't think they were cratered or anything.

It can't possibly be because I'm the rear end in a top hat though.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I'm at 3/7 betrays on this current run. Given my ideology is Communism I choose to believe it's the Neo-CIA.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'e only been betrayed once, but I get a ton of opportunities to betray them for a reward. Might actually do it if the reward ends up outweighing their usefulness. Setting up "accidents" seems like it could be fun.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

StealthArcher posted:

I'm at 3/7 betrays on this current run. Given my ideology is Communism I choose to believe it's the Neo-CIA.

What memes do you use? Eventually I'm going to want to do a nice tunneler run so I'm curious about other folks' setups :v:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Why are you simply not arresting them right away at first, harvest the useless ones organs and enslave the rest.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
You can only arrest one before the rest of the group turns unfriendly (and sometimes all go straight into combat) but yes my current colony basically grabbed the healthiest and least insane out of every group and if it went to combat, well I'm pretty sure we can handle a bunch of unarmed degenerate eyeball havers. that's what they're for!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

StealthArcher posted:

Septober 11 was an inside job.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got betrayed the first time (they cooked themselves in their own barracks, I posted about it before) and the second time they came in while I was doing a mission to house someone from another faction with the warning that a 2x normal mechanoid cluster was going to come after them so I just had the wanderers do a suicide run to take out the turrets (the resulting explosions cleared most of the threat as well) and cleaned up the rest from a safe distance

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Danaru posted:

What memes do you use? Eventually I'm going to want to do a nice tunneler run so I'm curious about other folks' setups :v:

There's a modded Altruism meme on the workshop that's basically all the charity and niceness requirements of Guilty without the masochistic pain.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2570430492&searchtext=

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I want to know what jackass on the vanilla expanded team decided that red pandas start suffering from hypothermia at 5 degrees Celsius red pandas are very well suited for sub zero temperatures as their whole body is covered with a thick coat including the bottom of their paws and they live in cold mountainous regions so they've evolved to be able to move quickly and be comfortable in the snow in fact pandas become the most active during snowy weather and

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

red = fire, heat

so no

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mister Bates posted:

They land, and all of their super-powerful ultratech soldiers are over 100 years old, and literally all of them are frail and have dementia and Alzheimer's. Most of them also have bad backs and severe asthma. One of them instantly fell on the ground, unable to move. This is going to be a bit harder than I was anticipating.

That's Rimworldwang!

Lockback posted:

Do wandering drifters ever not betray you? I'm at 4 in a row now all betrayed me. There's a pile of graves dudes, where do you think those came from?

I've had lots of them either join the colony or leave and drop us rare loot in a few weeks. I think it maybe helps if you keep their moods high?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've had lots of them either join the colony or leave and drop us rare loot in a few weeks. I think it maybe helps if you keep their moods high?
no. as the betrayal text mentions, when they do this, it is their plan the whole time.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Coolguye posted:

no. as the betrayal text mentions, when they do this, it is their plan the whole time.

In that case, I've been luckier with the RNG than some.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
even that is a relative thing. the refugee missions are basically always worth taking. if you disarm them and maybe dress them up in new cloth clothing to replace their inevitably tattered apparel, in the case of a betrayal they will be throwing hands and wearing cotton while you will be shooting guns and wearing flak vests. in the meantime before they betray you, you can set them to work hauling, cleaning, getting extra research done, etc.

if they don't betray you, you get good work out of them for usually close to an entire quadrum. that alone is worth the three hots and a cot they ask for. the join requests, nice gifts, etc later are all gravy.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
"Wahh we don't like mushroom paste" then find a different fuckin colony to stay at how does that sound you turds

Like the mountain just gives us mushrooms for free how dare you disrespect it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
From binging on the wiki (I am still too stupid to play the game proper) there was an oversight in which the refugee events would identify themselves after taking them, because the "will stay and leave peacefully" version would show the time remaining until they left, while the "will betray you" version wouldn't show any timer after accepting.

No clue if it's been patched or not, but it does support the event outcome being fixed and not based on mood/conditions/etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Danaru posted:

Pretty sure John just had a dream about wanting to betray us, let's go beat the poo poo out of him in his sleep.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Will animals make filth on fungal gravel? It'd be nice to have a barn inside to create my red panda paradise

E: also like, muffalo or whatever I guess

Danaru fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 12, 2021

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Danaru posted:

Will animals make filth on fungal gravel? It'd be nice to have a barn inside to create my red panda paradise

E: also like, muffalo or whatever I guess

Yep, tons. I've been having my horse locked up in my underground mushroom farm and there's filth everywhere.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
drat :negative: I do have fertile fields installed so I can terraform underground, but I try to only use it for like, random chunks of marsh right where I want to put a residential sector. Maybe I'll just shove a roomba or a slave with a mop in there

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've never had refugees betray me, but I did have one of the 'Wanderer Joins' events and then over a quadrum later they turned out to be a spy for another faction and betrayed me.

It's much, much less threatening when it's just one person, but it was still kind of a shock because I had no idea it could happen, and that colonist had been there for so long they were just part of the crew - they had great skills and traits, too, so they'd become pretty indispensable. Then they turned hostile and started shooting at people.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I’ve been betrayed twice, and most of my time since 1.3 released has been spent playing an Ideology with a hard charity requirement.

Once it was three pawns, once it was seven. Both groups came onto the map equipped with a patch-up of basic melee weapons. I’ve had at least three other groups show up with generated weapons, stay their time and move on, and many more which showed up unarmed.

I’ve also never received a thank-you drop pod from any refugees who stayed and left. I figured it was possible, but also I was doing Archonexus resettles so moving tiles every few years might have pre-empted tickers running out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Yep, tons. I've been having my horse locked up in my underground mushroom farm and there's filth everywhere.

Oh no don't get filth in the mushroom cave, that would be terrible.

Seriously very weird IMO that it cares about that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mister Bates posted:

I've never had refugees betray me, but I did have one of the 'Wanderer Joins' events and then over a quadrum later they turned out to be a spy for another faction and betrayed me.

It's much, much less threatening when it's just one person, but it was still kind of a shock because I had no idea it could happen, and that colonist had been there for so long they were just part of the crew - they had great skills and traits, too, so they'd become pretty indispensable. Then they turned hostile and started shooting at people.

this is incredible

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I'm not really sure how Gauranlen trees work, what type of pawn do I want forming the connection, one with high plants skill I guess? Does animal skill matter at all for the Dryads?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Away all Goats posted:

I'm not really sure how Gauranlen trees work, what type of pawn do I want forming the connection, one with high plants skill I guess? Does animal skill matter at all for the Dryads?

speed of gauranlen tree pruning is directly related to how high your plants skill is and no animal skill does not matter because theyir trainability is set to their max trainability once they mature

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

this is incredible

There is a version of that with alpha animals where a guy can turn up and he's actually a horrible psychic zombie that eats people, you only find out if he gets too hungry.

eonwe posted:

speed of gauranlen tree pruning is directly related to how high your plants skill is and no animal skill does not matter because theyir trainability is set to their max trainability once they mature

Also, critically, it does not use "plant work" so giving them robot clippers on their hands will not help, it's a separate stat at the bottom called tree pruning and derives only from plant skill and is not improved by any physical factors such as improved manipulation speed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also even at high plants skill one tree can eat up a lot of time each day, so keep that in mind.

The defense dryads are amazing again megaspiders and melee. Supposedly attack ones are good too but I haven't tried them

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

eonwe posted:

also even at high plants skill one tree can eat up a lot of time each day, so keep that in mind.

The defense dryads are amazing again megaspiders and melee. Supposedly attack ones are good too but I haven't tried them

I have three attack trees and I just send them in like a small army and my colonists clean up the rest

They're kinda fragile but better them than my colonists and I've never noticed a mood hit from them dying (though I do have one that bonded so I assume I would get one if he ever bites it)

I have four spare seeds in my storage right now so maybe I'll do a defense tree next and see how that works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe dryads make the person who runs their tree sad if they die.