Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I've been playing a Bard lately after being talked into it while we were all discussing them as a solo option. I'm having fun, and groups seem willing to welcome me. It's the soloing that I dislike at this point. I spent the money on some decent gear, so I can survive a rather difficult fight, but I find being stunned is really frustrating when playing a Bard. As a primary melee class you simple wait for the stun to wear off and continue attacking, and as a pure caster you just try and time your spells in between hits. As a Bard getting stunned throws off your entire plan.

For an example in typical solo combat I run a melody with a heal, a haste buff, an AC buff, and a DOT. Since I have to keep restarting the melody when I get stunned, I rarely even make it to the DOT. Do players just avoid Melody when solo, or is it just going to suck until I start being able to kite?

Love to hear some strategies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Floob posted:

Love to hear some strategies.

Have multiple melodies setup where the first song you start is the one you need. For example, your typical rotation of heal, haste, ac, dot. Melody 2: dot, heal, haste, ac Melody 3: haste, heal, ac, dot. Etc.

That way you can start the song you need, and if it works you just continue in rotation. If not, start on the song that you need the most.

*also, yeah, soloing as a bard is not recommended

Bahanahab fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 3, 2021

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You should just not solo as a bard. They aren’t particularly good at it and it’s pitiful xp compared to grouping.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea i think when he was talking about soloing as a bard its at a level of gear + stats + possibly AA far beyond what you will have starting on a TLP

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Indecisive posted:

yea i think when he was talking about soloing as a bard its at a level of gear + stats + possibly AA far beyond what you will have starting on a TLP

Yeah I hope I didn't mislead. Early barding isn't great soloing. Even in tbs better off grouping. It's just I can reasonably solo and its not a waste of time. Plus I just enjoy all the different things bards do.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mercs are OP at lower levels. Just tanked a red con at 11 the merc never went below 80% mana.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Bards just can’t solo until raid geared in velious+ it’s just not something that the class is designed for on TLP until then. Yeah you have dirge and dots, but you’re a real lovely melee or tank and can’t keep up with blues.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I guess the person who asked the question never specified what server/rule set. So that’s what we need to know to answer your question correctly.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Also, modern conceptions of "good at soloing" vary. Soloing with fear / snare / dots is okayish, but any group will be much faster and better money. Charm kiting will be better than that (and fun!) But still worse than grouping.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Also, modern conceptions of "good at soloing" vary. Soloing with fear / snare / dots is okayish, but any group will be much faster and better money. Charm kiting will be better than that (and fun!) But still worse than grouping.

Yeah, groups can vary too of course, last night as an example, I got into a group in Unrest who had a high level Druid and Enchanter sitting out of group buffing us all. I made five levels in two hours. Tonight I'll probably go back there and see if I can get in a group a little deeper, and before I even know it, I'll be ready to move on. I'm going to stick with this Bard and see how things go. This week it will probably become my highest level character, and it does feel good doing something new. Getting just a single spells each level feels so strange, and some of the songs that make this class special, I don't even have yet :)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zil posted:

Mercs are OP at lower levels. Just tanked a red con at 11 the merc never went below 80% mana.

The tank merc would have annihilated a red con much more quickly

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Bards are insanely fun to play, and if you know what you’re doing groups will be drooling over the opportunity to have you. Enjoy!

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Any casual raiding guilds recruiting that arent gdkp? Friends and I are all 60, cleric/enchanter/wizard/monk/shaman/magician and want to start raiding finally.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

bad boys for life posted:

Any casual raiding guilds recruiting that arent gdkp? Friends and I are all 60, cleric/enchanter/wizard/monk/shaman/magician and want to start raiding finally.

Assuming this is Mischief - I'm in a guild called Dark Blade that I'm pretty happy with. Does Tues/Thurs 9pm est and Sunday 5pm est raids, often helping people with epic stuff Wednesdays. Loot rules are DKP. I haven't really raided because I'm happy just leveling along at my own pace, but it seems like they're doing decently well and not try hard at all. Chill people too.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

schwein11 posted:

Assuming this is Mischief - I'm in a guild called Dark Blade that I'm pretty happy with. Does Tues/Thurs 9pm est and Sunday 5pm est raids, often helping people with epic stuff Wednesdays. Loot rules are DKP. I haven't really raided because I'm happy just leveling along at my own pace, but it seems like they're doing decently well and not try hard at all. Chill people too.

This sounds perfect, name in game is Xandrac - who do I reach out to about joining?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

bad boys for life posted:

This sounds perfect, name in game is Xandrac - who do I reach out to about joining?

Sinmagi

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

What this guy said. My in game name is Smiley if you want to mention you heard about guild from me or something (or not, you do you). Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I put in another couple hours in Unrest last night in a group at the Fireplace. EXP was good, but the puller was sort of new to the zone, and missed a couple rooms most of the time. It was cool though, and he learned and we had a great time. We had a number of Elusive Ghoul Magi spawns, so rare loot was great, and the Knight upstairs even dropped the Pegasus Feather Cloak.

Having played a Druid for as many years as I have, I'm used to running fast, or what I thought was fast. Selo's and the tambourine I found in Warslik Woods is crazy fast! I'm starting to run into poo poo :)

I am finding my grove with these melodies finally. I have one for just sitting around and resting, one for travel, one for pulling, and then two combat melodies, one with an aoe damage and one without.

I am looking forward to the travel song that wraps Selo. Levitate, and Invis into one!

I'm also looking forward to trying charm soloing once I have that song and can use it effectively. So far I haven't had any use for calm and mez. In all of the groups so far we're been fine with multiples and you even want more so you can take advantage of damage shields doing most of the work. I figure as I get higher, and when I'm soloing, I'll need to start practicing CC skills.

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
I've recently re-subbed after being away for many years, other than the occasional trip down memory lane with the free to play stuff. I've messed around on P99 as well, but my highest char was only a 30 something rogue on red.
Rolling several classes cause I'm torn between a more solo oriented character, but I think I'm going to give bard a chance since I played one during this era and I want to mess with charm and mez and I'm a sucker for those illusion masks. I have an enchanter as well if the bard doesn't do it for me. Subyen or Ixodim in game if anyone has a garbage weapon or armor laying around or wants to group up in the near future.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

okiedoke posted:

I've recently re-subbed after being away for many years, other than the occasional trip down memory lane with the free to play stuff. I've messed around on P99 as well, but my highest char was only a 30 something rogue on red.
Rolling several classes cause I'm torn between a more solo oriented character, but I think I'm going to give bard a chance since I played one during this era and I want to mess with charm and mez and I'm a sucker for those illusion masks. I have an enchanter as well if the bard doesn't do it for me. Subyen or Ixodim in game if anyone has a garbage weapon or armor laying around or wants to group up in the near future.

I'll be on later tonight and see if I have anything to send to you. During the anniversary week I ended up getting several Tambourine of Rituals, so I should have one of those still in the bank. I always struggle with weapons, but I'll check for that as well. One thing the anniversary week did, as well as the random loot on Mischief, it severely increased the number of low level rare items, so prices for that stuff are mostly fair.

okiedoke
Aug 24, 2008

I am the Doke to the Okie
Right on, totally good just rolling with what I find along the way too, but never hurts to ask. I'm usually on later in the day since I'm west coast.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

okiedoke posted:

Right on, totally good just rolling with what I find along the way too, but never hurts to ask. I'm usually on later in the day since I'm west coast.

I looked for you last night, but didn't see you online. I have a Tambourine you can have. It's 120% so it's better than the MM Battle Drums. You can pick up a Gypsy Lute very cheap in EC. I don't have any good weapons, and honestly, I need to get myself a pair of weapons as well. I'm currently using the Bard only Mace, and it's a great weapon for leveling due to speed, but I know I won't be sticking with 1HB.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Was finally able to recover my original account, well finally remembered the username because I apparently wrote it and my password down at one point and stashed it with my CE eq2 box. So secure. :v:

But logged in and found my monk completely naked and delevled to 46. I then remember that the reason for this was the old monk nerf and me rage quitting. What? I was in my late teens. The only thing in their bank is a few pieces of the epic 1.0 that I remember farming before that nerf hit.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Zil posted:

Was finally able to recover my original account, well finally remembered the username because I apparently wrote it and my password down at one point and stashed it with my CE eq2 box. So secure. :v:

But logged in and found my monk completely naked and delevled to 46. I then remember that the reason for this was the old monk nerf and me rage quitting. What? I was in my late teens. The only thing in their bank is a few pieces of the epic 1.0 that I remember farming before that nerf hit.

Sounds like you sacrificed yourself down to 46 for a Necro buddy at least? We thank you for the essence.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Sounds like you sacrificed yourself down to 46 for a Necro buddy at least? We thank you for the essence.

That does sound familiar, forgot that was a thing.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Still plugging along with my Bard. I'm 39 now, and have been grouping 100% of the time. I leveled through Crushbone, then Unrest, then a mix of Mistmoore, LGuk, and Sol B. Last night in L Guk we had an almost empty zone, so we camped the Lord, Ghoul Magus, and Executioner area. That was my first time in that zone in years, and it was a blast. Group was strong enough we were able to chat while pulling and fighting and we just had a great time.

I don't think I have ever had a Bard this high (not that this is very high) but wow can they run! Now having the levitate song as well, traveling on foot has become very efficient. I recently discovered Timorous Deep has a portal room under the ocean, so that's just a short jog, and access to all the major cities.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Floob posted:

Timorous Deep has a portal room under the ocean, so that's just a short jog, and access to all the major cities.

What?!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Welcome to EQ

Try not to get eaten by Faydedar getting to it btw.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Welcome to EQ

Try not to get eaten by Faydedar getting to it btw.

Faceless has all those on such a tight farm, I'd be surprised if I ever even see Faydedar in the wild.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bahanahab posted:

Faceless has all those on such a tight farm, I'd be surprised if I ever even see Faydedar in the wild.

You certainly will be surprised!

(Spoken from experience RIP)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was able to bind in this room in the couple hours after Kunark released, before they patched it and made it so you couldn’t bind in Timorous Deep. It was awesome.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

BGrifter posted:

You certainly will be surprised!

(Spoken from experience RIP)

Yeah don’t bind in the room (on literally opening day of kunark because it gets nerfed that fast) if you are kos! She doesn’t care about walls.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Yeah don’t bind in the room (on literally opening day of kunark because it gets nerfed that fast) if you are kos! She doesn’t care about walls.

Doesn't she also have an extreme aggro range too?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Zil posted:

Doesn't she also have an extreme aggro range too?

If you even think about Faydedar two zones away you’re probably gonna die.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

BGrifter posted:

If you even think about Faydedar two zones away you’re probably gonna die.

Oh poo poo, I guess I have been lucky... Maybe I'll stop going there. I noticed Erudin was a connected zone on Alakazam and was like "How?" Ran there and saw the portal room and was so mad I didn't know it was there. Now I know why I have never seen anyone else there.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Floob posted:

Oh poo poo, I guess I have been lucky... Maybe I'll stop going there. I noticed Erudin was a connected zone on Alakazam and was like "How?" Ran there and saw the portal room and was so mad I didn't know it was there. Now I know why I have never seen anyone else there.

I mean, unless someone has already trained her to that spot, as long as you don't dilly dally, you'll be fine. The problem is sometimes she gets pulled there (on purpose sometimes for trolling), and if people keep popping in, she won't leave. Just constantly fearing and eating people, lol.

Personally I've only ever played melee so it was never super useful to me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Floob posted:

I’m exaggerating a bit, but yeah, it’s a roll of the dice being bound there. 99% of the time you’re going to be just fine, but that 1% sure is memorable.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The best is when someone gets death looped there, lol.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I made level 40 last night in LGuk. That place is definitely slowing down. I think I'll move myself to EC and look for groups in SolB. Once I get to level 42 and get the next single target DOT chant, I'm going to try some solo kiting. I used to love quad kiting with my Druid, and in theory this may be slower, but far more efficient with zero downtime. I could probably even kite 2 at a time.

I'm having a great time on this server. Time to go guild hunting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

quad kiting is something i've always heard about wizards doing but I haven't really found a good way to put it into practice so far in kunark, tried to do it in Skyfire and let me tell you, it did not go well. I do remember that Cobalt Scar is like a braindead easy place for it so I'll probably try that with velious, even tho I'm 60 already just to try it out