Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kenney's super secret plan to keep the doctors and nurses and teachers from fleeing the province is to deny them the ability to prove they are safe to leave.

e: lovely snipe. How about some local news: Barrie now has the second highest rent in Canada, the fastest rising housing prices, and no loving way to afford either if you work here and not down in the GTA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yes, but the provinces hold all the vaccination info - in Alberta it's accessible via Netcare. If Alberta will not 'facilitate' vaccine passports, if they won't work with the feds as the feds are apparently hoping, then it may not be possible to generate a record of vaccination for people living in Alberta.

E: and then I can't TRAVEL and then I'm STILL STUCK HERE

I would be for this only inasmuch as it seems like just the thing to seal the UCP's fate in the next election.

I agree that what it means in actuality is that the Alberta Provincial government won't make any laws which incorporate the vaccine passports, and possibly might even go so far as to try and chill the use of the vaccine passports in the Province. I can't see them actually standing in the way of someone who wants to get the passport to travel though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It will only take one phone call from the CEO of Westjet for Kenney to send the feds whatever they want.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Furnaceface posted:

e: lovely snipe. How about some local news: Barrie now has the second highest rent in Canada, the fastest rising housing prices, and no loving way to afford either if you work here and not down in the GTA.

poo poo is hosed, imagine paying through the nose for housing and the end result is you live in loving Barrie. Christ.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao. As someone who very nearly ended up living in Barrie as a teenager, man, talk about a bullet dodged.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Albino Squirrel posted:

Yes, but the provinces hold all the vaccination info - in Alberta it's accessible via Netcare. If Alberta will not 'facilitate' vaccine passports, if they won't work with the feds as the feds are apparently hoping, then it may not be possible to generate a record of vaccination for people living in Alberta.

Here's the thing: they can't forbid or prevent you or I from providing our personal healthcare data to a federal official. It might be more a pain in the rear end than if they just cooperated like normal, sane human beings, but it's still going to be possible.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

https://twitter.com/stevelambertwpg/status/1425527407524683777?s=20

So Brian Bowman, Paul Jordan and Marty Morantz? Talk about some stinkers

Steven Fletcher

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

I'm about to go to Europe with my vaccine certificate from Ontario which is simply a piece of plain paper with my vaccine info and an easily manipulated PDF with the same info. The countries I'm going to have said they are accepting Canadian vaccination certificates so hopefully they are aware of what ours looks like.

I'm fairly confident the border won't be a problem since they probably have examples, but I'm a little bit worried about some museums, restaurants, etc. not accepting this shoddy proof.

All this to say that if Ontario's system is this bad, I can't imagine how much worse Alberta's system is.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MagicCube posted:

I'm about to go to Europe with my vaccine certificate from Ontario which is simply a piece of plain paper with my vaccine info and an easily manipulated PDF with the same info. The countries I'm going to have said they are accepting Canadian vaccination certificates so hopefully they are aware of what ours looks like.

I'm fairly confident the border won't be a problem since they probably have examples, but I'm a little bit worried about some museums, restaurants, etc. not accepting this shoddy proof.

All this to say that if Ontario's system is this bad, I can't imagine how much worse Alberta's system is.

It's actually quite good, I have both my original vaccination records and online access to my health records which records not only the COVID vaccine, but every vaccine I've ever received.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

infernal machines posted:

Wait, Murphy Brown is running for office?

InfiniteZero posted:

If Murphy Brown liked to wear a MAGA hat and was a generally lovely person, sure.

It's never going to not be weird to me that there is a literal lovely Candice Bergen out there, and that she's Canadian.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MagicCube posted:

Buddy of mine just came back from a business trip to Belgium and apparently his second shot certificate was all he needed for most things. Border wanted to see both which he was worried about because he got the mix but, they apparently didn't give a poo poo about that.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yeah, Alberta could make it annoying and inconvenient to get the federal vaccination certificate but they can't stop you from accessing your own health-care information and giving it to whoever you want.

Also this whole framing of 'vaccine passport' is such a gently caress-up in marketing it's unbelievable. I know it's not an actual mandatory thing everywhere but schools across the country offer scheduled vaccines and are allowed to ask for and track immunization records of every child and this has been going on for years and years without it being a 'thing'.

The branding should have just been something innocuous like "immunization record" that everyone has heard in reference to their kids for decades.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
This is what I still can't fathom about the back to school plans here in Ontario. We've been requiring immunization records forever, why we aren't in this specific case where we know with absolute certainty there is a significant risk to both students and staff if people are not immunized, is inconceivable.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Presumably because Ford and Lecce want to kill as many teachers as they can.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Because Facebook and the right wing ghoul mob would get mad.

The past means nothing. Only memes.

Burn em all.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Conservatives are babies and everyone is allergic to treating them differently.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Fidelitious posted:

they can't stop you from accessing your own health-care information and giving it to whoever you want.

Get a load of this guy who hasn’t had the MyHealth website break 5 different ways over 3 weeks while trying to verify his identity to get access to his vaccine info.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ontario says they won't be participating in any vaccine passport system because people might create fake ones and that would make the system pointless.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Why bother making laws if some people might break them?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/reutersLjungg/status/1425828232130142209?s=20

Date is a bit more clear

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Isn’t that right around when they said we could see initial vaccine approvals for children under 12?

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Isn’t that right around when they said we could see initial vaccine approvals for children under 12?

For Pfizer yes, I don't think any of the other studies are that far ahead.

But that's half remembered bullshit from my head so don't hold me to any sort of account.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Mr. Apollo posted:

Ontario says they won't be participating in any vaccine passport system because people might create fake ones and that would make the system pointless.

As opposed to their lovely receipt that could be faked in 2 seconds.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

apatheticman posted:

For Pfizer yes, I don't think any of the other studies are that far ahead.

But that's half remembered bullshit from my head so don't hold me to any sort of account.

Pfizer claims they'll have the data for 5-11s by early to mid September which depending on the time it takes to review you could see emergency authorization by the end of September? I could see early October being more likely though. 12-17s took a bit under 3 weeks from submission to approval IIRC.

4 months to five years though will likely take longer though. They haven't given a more solid estimate and given the dosing differences and changes from the phase 1 trial (an adult dose is 30mg, they tested 10, 20, and 30 in phase 1 and then suddenly went with 3mg for phase 2/3 in under 5s) they probably are wanting to be more careful there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Aw poo poo, here we go again.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Jesus christ just approve it already. There are 100s of millions of doses in arms already, this is a very safe vaccine and we know what rare side effects ( cardiac inflammatory ) to look for.

Delta is about to run wild all over North America, we need to get kids in schools some protection.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Another Bill posted:

Jesus christ just approve it already. There are 100s of millions of doses in arms already, this is a very safe vaccine and we know what rare side effects ( cardiac inflammatory ) to look for.

Delta is about to run wild all over North America, we need to get kids in schools some protection.

It's not that easy. The dosing is vastly different for 5-11s and even smaller for under 5s. Beyond the standard safety stuff the fact they're going with much lower doses means it still needs to get evaluated to see if those doses produce the expected/required effectiveness.

Like they went with the absolute lowest phase 1 tested dose for 5-11s and went even lower for under 5s which could indicate they saw something concerning in under 5s at the standard dose.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 12, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dumb question because I'm not a science guy. If there's different dose amounts, is there some reason the vaccination thresholds are based on age and not weight?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dumb question because I'm not a science guy. If there's different dose amounts, is there some reason the vaccination thresholds are based on age and not weight?

I'd say it's probably based on both. But immune system responses change as you age.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I think it's sort of similar to the original handwringing about vaccine availability. The authorities aren't really following an unreasonable process, the main problem is that we've collectively decided that we don't need to take any precautions any more, so we're absolutely desperate for everyone to be vaccinated.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

PT6A posted:

I think it's sort of similar to the original handwringing about vaccine availability. The authorities aren't really following an unreasonable process, the main problem is that we've collectively decided that we don't need to take any precautions any more, so we're absolutely desperate for everyone to be vaccinated.

Yeah the correct answer should be "Keep more protective measures in schools even if that means distance learning for one more semester" not "Slam adult vaccinations or untested lower doses into kids before we've finished the study in a month what's the worst that could happen?"

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Outsider who works for a Canadian company and I want to sound not totally stupid. Where does this election likely end up? Another minority? I could see people going "Well I hate CPC so here's your dumb majority just leave us alone!"

Am I completely off?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

Outsider who works for a Canadian company and I want to sound not totally stupid. Where does this election likely end up? Another minority? I could see people going "Well I hate CPC so here's your dumb majority just leave us alone!"

Am I completely off?

Probably either a Liberal majority or another minority with the NDP picking up more support is my guess. NDP support has been slowly rising but nowhere near "Could form a government" territory and the Cons are in a bad place since O'Toole has managed to be somehow less popular than Andrew "Sack of Milk" Scheer which is really loving impressive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Probably either a Liberal majority or another minority with the NDP picking up more support is my guess. NDP support has been slowly rising but nowhere near "Could form a government" territory and the Cons are in a bad place since O'Toole has managed to be somehow less popular than Andrew "Sack of Milk" Scheer which is really loving impressive.

Yeah, this.

Also every provincial government run by conservatives is doing just terribly, like completely making GBS threads the bed with diarrhea. That's not really the federal party's fault, but it sure as gently caress doesn't help their prospects.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

MaoistBanker posted:

Am I completely off?

Yes

The CPC is an utter shambles internally and Erin O'Tool is about as popular as the clap even with people who would otherwise vote conservative. The only way for the Liberals to end up with a minority here is if they completely and utterly poo poo themselves on the national stage in some presently unforeseeable way.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 12, 2021

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Liberal majority with NDP official opposition would be ideal. Just because I want tories to fail.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

MaoistBanker posted:

Some white guy's gonna go on TV and say "the federal Liberals made health care bad" and then the braindead populace of this country will elect a Conservative majority

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I'm not familiar with the rules on parliamentary procedure. Does Trudeau really have the power to unilaterally dissolve parliament and start an election or would it have to come up to a vote?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

ZeeBoi posted:

Liberal majority with NDP official opposition would be ideal. Just because I want tories to fail.

I mean, ndp majority would be more ideal but might as well wish for full communism now since we're in fantasy land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

MaoistBanker posted:

Am I completely off?

The Liberals at least are highly confident they’ll win a majority if they’re calling an election now. They technically don’t need to until 2023.