Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, Tonker and Lofty's relationship is text, so Pratchett pretty obviously intended to explore queer themes to at least some extent.

Not to mention the lieutenant really having enjoyed cross dressing at school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Shaun on the youtubes just put out a video that talks about Monsterous Regiment and theres a lot of pretty explicit stuff I forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnubfRy8Ws

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

Shaun on the youtubes just put out a video that talks about Monsterous Regiment and theres a lot of pretty explicit stuff I forgot about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnubfRy8Ws

Explicit like obvious, or explicit like a troll.sounding with a gnome? I haven't read the last bunch of pTerrys

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Explicit in a 'this character is actually textually trans' way lol

Although given the subject matter MR is the TP book whith the most genital inspections.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

"Love. Pride. Hate. Fear. Have you no emotions, sir?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Phillby posted:

Although given the subject matter MR is the TP book whith the most genital inspections.
Also iirc some of his descriptions of Igor are about as close as you'd get to a textual exploration of his opinions on affirmation surgery; yes Igor could stitch himself a big fat cock on if he wanted, no it's not any of your business.

Just lol that the terf narrative was that trans issues weren't on anyone's radar in 2003 tho. Like when was Goodwin v United Kingdom? Or the first GRA where the papers were full of Ann Widdecombe and Norman Tebbit's terrible opinions about everything?

e: In completely unrelated news

Guavanaut posted:

Even if it's just Frostpunk: With Oil there's exciting things you could do with that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfHUN4gFiw

Look's though that's what it is. :toot:

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Sad to say that Una Stubbs has passed away, gonna miss Aunt Sally. :(

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Also iirc some of his descriptions of Igor are about as close as you'd get to a textual exploration of his opinions on affirmation surgery; yes Igor could stitch himself a big fat cock on if he wanted, no it's not any of your business.

Just lol that the terf narrative was that trans issues weren't on anyone's radar in 2003 tho. Like when was Goodwin v United Kingdom? Or the first GRA where the papers were full of Ann Widdecombe and Norman Tebbit's terrible opinions about everything?

The rhetorical stance of these shitheads will always be that they're railing against some recent upset to the status quo; it let's them present themselves as fundamentally reasonable in a vaguely liberal sense, with their current objection being to things taken too far. Helps to smokescreen the depths of their lovely views.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Trans issues were a pretty common subject in the kind of nerd circles Pratchett was in - don't forget as well as an F&SF nerd he was a very early internet adopter. It would have been weirder if those issues *weren't* on his radar even if he chose not to explore them in his writing.

Post-Eternal-September Usenet and the early web forums (and of course IRC and the various chat/IM services) were, IMO, an incredibly useful safe space for non-cishet people - the acceptance of pseudonymity and the idea that your online persona was more or less completely divorced from your offline life was incredibly liberating for people who still mostly had to keep their true selves hidden in meatspace. Late-90s uk.rec.motorcycles had two trans women and an AFAB intersex person living as non-binary as regular posters, and even the football newsgroups had a couple of non-cis people kicking around. The actual nerdy groups would give Tumblr a run for its money - there were people with pronouns in their display names or .sigs two decades before people got all bent out of shape about it on Twitter.

This is why I still - despite having really no real reason at all to do so - get twitchy when the Internet Karens start screaming about how everyone needs to be online under their full name with their birth certificate, DNA samples, and a handy link to report them to their managers attached to every single thing they do on the internet. As someone on Twitter (possibly a goon) put it a while back, WeedlordGoku420 was here long before Joe Bloggs.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Monstrous Regiment was one of only two* pre-dementia books that I've only read once. I remember thinking at the time it was a bit off form. Perhaps I should give it another go.

* The other one was Thief Of Time, which 98% of the Pratchett thread raves about, but didn't do anything for me.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gambrinus posted:

Monstrous Regiment was one of only two* pre-dementia books that I've only read once. I remember thinking at the time it was a bit off form. Perhaps I should give it another go.

* The other one was Thief Of Time, which 98% of the Pratchett thread raves about, but didn't do anything for me.

It is a difficult read but that might be because the subject matter hits closer to home.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Trans issues were a pretty common subject in the kind of nerd circles Pratchett was in - don't forget as well as an F&SF nerd he was a very early internet adopter. It would have been weirder if those issues *weren't* on his radar even if he chose not to explore them in his writing.

Post-Eternal-September Usenet and the early web forums (and of course IRC and the various chat/IM services) were, IMO, an incredibly useful safe space for non-cishet people - the acceptance of pseudonymity and the idea that your online persona was more or less completely divorced from your offline life was incredibly liberating for people who still mostly had to keep their true selves hidden in meatspace. Late-90s uk.rec.motorcycles had two trans women and an AFAB intersex person living as non-binary as regular posters, and even the football newsgroups had a couple of non-cis people kicking around. The actual nerdy groups would give Tumblr a run for its money - there were people with pronouns in their display names or .sigs two decades before people got all bent out of shape about it on Twitter.

This is why I still - despite having really no real reason at all to do so - get twitchy when the Internet Karens start screaming about how everyone needs to be online under their full name with their birth certificate, DNA samples, and a handy link to report them to their managers attached to every single thing they do on the internet. As someone on Twitter (possibly a goon) put it a while back, WeedlordGoku420 was here long before Joe Bloggs.

Anonymitiy is, IMO, extremely important and I also really do not like the idea that everyone needs to go in The Database in order to be able to live.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr Phillby posted:

If you want to stretch about MR, you can say that cross-dressing was an abomination unto Nuggan. But:

1) You'd have to have completely misread the book to think that Pterry was on the side of the Nugganites, and
2) So was everything else.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

More of a cross of the Crypt Keeper and that Nazi who chose poorly decaying in Indiana Jones

I would say peter stringfellow crossed with the curious orange from TMWRNJ once he rotted.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

If you want to stretch about MR, you can say that cross-dressing was an abomination unto Nuggan. But:

1) You'd have to have completely misread the book to think that Pterry was on the side of the Nugganites, and
2) So was everything else.

Perhaps we should call terves nuggets.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WaldorfSixpence/status/1425658233734275074

Hero in a cheap suit
WET EGGS!

God bless our Keith, such content every day :britain:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Imagine testing positive for whatever this man has

Rapid-onset Jimmy Savillisation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the slicked back mullet that does it, especially with the unbuttoned shirt, amazing bond villain energy.

God can you imagine him running for office again? He would ride around on a palanquin carried by four clones of Adonis stroking a cat and having everyone arrested who looks at him funny.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 12, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It's the slicked back mullet that does it, especially with the unbuttoned shirt, amazing bond villain energy.

God can you imagine him running for office again? He would ride around on a palanquin carried by four clones of Adonis stroking a cat and having everyone arrested who looks at him funny.

Honestly, I think his biggest electoral problem is that he doesn't have quite that level of supervillain swagger. The British public love a good heel.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Someone is going on a rampage in Keyham in Plymouth with a gun. Reports on social media are saying multiple casualties, including 4-5 dead, with reports of one of those being a toddler. The shooter is still on the run.

:/

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 12, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

This one case is going to be used by chuds as an "Ah, but they had a shooting! Gun control doesn't work!"

Also that the toddler was a dwarf employed by George Soros.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
An awful lot of people with an awful lot of flags in their names on Twitter seem to be extremely confident about certain facts about the shooter.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An awful lot of people with an awful lot of flags in their names on Twitter seem to be extremely confident about certain facts about the shooter.

I wonder what they'll do when they find out it was a young local lad? From friends of friends I know who live in the same street, he shot his family, then went outside and shot at random people before then shooting himself.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

anyone assuming it's an Arab Muslim has clearly never been to Devon

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I wonder what they'll do when they find out it was a young local lad?

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I think we.... I think we need a new gangtag.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
People posting footage of still warm corpses whilst lamenting what a tragedy the whole thing is really sums up how hosed we are as a species.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah. Really wasn't expecting that. Thanks concerned twitter user.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Got a letter from my credit card company saying they're changing the way my interest is calculated by linking it directly to the Bank of England rate rather than some time-delayed adjusted rate. In the explanatory example, this of course meant I'd be paying more interest. Base rate rise finally expected after years of holding it to the minimum, so the card companies can cash in faster?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

"reality" posted:

KFC warns menu items missing due to supply issues

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58180308

poo poo. They don't specify what they're short of but I really hope it isn't the chicken theyve run out of.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hope they run out of electricity and all fast food places have to close

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i hope they've got spare electricity and they open more, faster, food places.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I can live without the Kentucky.
Please let it be only the Kentucky.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They've run out of 'fried' so you have to eat it raw.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

I can live without the Kentucky.
Please let it be only the Kentucky.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My wife gets very upset any time I say Maryland as I always say it wrong.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bacon Terrorist posted:

People posting footage of still warm corpses whilst lamenting what a tragedy the whole thing is really sums up how hosed we are as a species.

You should check out Plymouth Herald's crime reporter's live tweeting. The image isn't gory, but if it's what I think he drunkenly says it is, it's just as insensitive.

https://twitter.com/CarlEveCrime/status/1425938193661272066

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/joejglenton/status/1425547656462540800?s=21

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mebh posted:

My wife gets very upset any time I say Maryland as I always say it wrong.

How many ways are there to say it?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Mare-ee-lan-duh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

u brexit ukip it posted:

How many ways are there to say it?

Here's a hint - you're not supposed to say either "Mary" or "land". Just like Baltimore is "Ball-mer" with extra slurring