Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I assume you're not allowed to have furniture in this place.. or you need to use benches you assemble in place? I can't imagine getting any kind of pre-assembled couch in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

so do upper floor residents get in and out via a rope ladder slung over the balcony or what
I always assumed they were little maisonettes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

so do upper floor residents get in and out via a rope ladder slung over the balcony or what

I would presume the apartments have lofts.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I've seen ant farms more convenient to live in.

I'd get vertigo on my way to get a midnight snack.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

How's else are you supposed to create a work triangle in that kitchen?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

That actually looks like it cuts into the hole for the bolt. God help them all when that flange goes and let's hope it's water and not something dangerous.

Reminds me of my porch light - the builders, instead of running conduit through the wall, ran conduit down the outside to the light. The box is entirely external, and they had to modify the light to accept the conduit at the top. I can't replace it without hacking a half inch round chunk out of the top of whatever new one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This looks like a proc gen video game level. Did someone algorithm this building?

My read is that those are balconies, and that this is some real cyberpunk poo poo. Enjoy stepping out under a drop-ceiling sky.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Major remodeled prison vibe.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Context for those wondering: this is an apartment building near Virginia Tech.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Context for those wondering: this is an apartment building near Virginia Tech.

Seems like it was a courtyard that was enclosed at some point?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My grandma spent her late 90s in her former high school that was converted into assisted living apartments setup fairly similar to this. They were finished much nicer though, with plaster ceilings in the halls and murals everywhere. Her cognition actually improved after moving in.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sloppy posted:

Seems like it was a courtyard that was enclosed at some point?

I think it was designed enclosed and the balcony setup is a legal compliance thing. From a claimed former resident:

"They're four bedroom apartments- three face the exterior, but one does not. The balconies to the atrium are for emergency egress purposes. And yeah, that fourth bedroom doesn't have a window. But it's the biggest room in the apartment!"

"I think it was built this way- the site is on a slope, and the ground floor of this building is shops. The atrium/apartments are on the second level, with on grade access from one side of the building. It's very close to campus, so having a building that is both retail and residential is ideal.

The comment below is correct, this is Tech Village Center in Blacksburg, VA."

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Enos Cabell posted:

My grandma spent her late 90s in her former high school that was converted into assisted living apartments setup fairly similar to this. They were finished much nicer though, with plaster ceilings in the halls and murals everywhere. Her cognition actually improved after moving in.

They really had balconies in an assisted living facility?

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

SkyeAuroline posted:

I think it was designed enclosed and the balcony setup is a legal compliance thing.
If college kids live there, 100% of those doors are blocked by futons on the other side.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
It’s the second floor of the building too, the first floor is food and shops.

(I’ve lived in Blacksburg for years, there’s been some flavor of 3am drunk pizza place on that row of shops for decades now)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EasilyConfused posted:

They really had balconies in an assisted living facility?

Well, they weren't actually balconies, but little fenced in patios on the same level. Kinda had the same vibe going, just nicer looking.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Frinkahedron posted:

It’s the second floor of the building too, the first floor is food and shops.

(I’ve lived in Blacksburg for years, there’s been some flavor of 3am drunk pizza place on that row of shops for decades now)

Location, location, location.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Dareon posted:

Location, location, location.

Yep. Past like 11pm the Sheetz near my college was all students and wild-eyed crazy people.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

I knew I remembered someone here posting this.
Saw this today on my feed from a redditor under contract for this house asking for help to get insurance for their mortgage since no one will cover the place. They also included a picture of the roof:

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 12, 2021

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

How is that tree's root system getting any water at all?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's Florida so the house is likely only six inches above the water table.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Someone gonna get screwed.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PageMaster posted:

I knew I remembered someone here posting this.
Saw this today on my feed from a redditor under contract for this house asking for help to get insurance for their mortgage since no one will cover the place. They also included a picture of the roof:

omg yes, thank you so much for finding this, never would have expected to get an update on this dumb house.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Guy only needs insurance on the dumb tree to close the sale, he's planning on removing it and remodeling, but can't close because no one wants anything to do with the tree at all. I imagine that he's going to have to find some company willing to give him some 3-month policy at a wild price just to close the sale.

You might ask how the current owners are dealing with it - apparently, they couldn't find an insurer willing to deal with it either, so they're simply uninsured!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ashcans posted:

Guy only needs insurance on the dumb tree to close the sale, he's planning on removing it and remodeling, but can't close because no one wants anything to do with the tree at all. I imagine that he's going to have to find some company willing to give him some 3-month policy at a wild price just to close the sale.

You might ask how the current owners are dealing with it - apparently, they couldn't find an insurer willing to deal with it either, so they're simply uninsured!

From the sounds of it they had the house paid off so no mortgage or requirement for insurance, were just yoloing it up without insurance in Florida.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

This is the equivalent of "jam a penny in it" when no penny will span the distance.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like remodel is being used very loosely; I can't imagine you can get away without rebuilding a lot of structure in the house without even considering anything they find when they start taking the tree out.

Edit: house is also below flood zone and needs to be raised 3 feet.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 12, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ah, they have the slow-blow fuses.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

At least the Redditor seems to understand the scope of the problem for once and has feasible plans to deal with it. I expected something like 'I already bought the battery-powered chainsaw and a pack of shingles, everything is fine!'

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would simply not buy that house.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lesson for later: If I do want a tree inside my house, put it in a boxed-in atrium instead of routing the trunk through my kitchen and out through the roof; got it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Build walls around the tree and declare that it is in a courtyard.

Now the house is perfectly insurable.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Put the tree in a big trenchcoat and tell the home inspector it's your large son.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It looks like both the Zestimate® and the tax assessment are $200K above the asking price. If he can get the tree out without breaking anything that's instant equity. Even if it costs more than the $7k he has planned to remove the tree and fix the roof and whatnot, there's still a lot of wiggle room where he comes out ahead.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yes, I’m sure there’s nothing else significantly wrong with this house in which the previous owners thought it was wise to fully incorporate a living tree dead center and haven’t been able to insure for who knows how long because of that

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

PageMaster posted:

I feel like remodel is being used very loosely; I can't imagine you can get away without rebuilding a lot of structure in the house without even considering anything they find when they start taking the tree out.

Edit: house is also below flood zone and needs to be raised 3 feet.

Depending on the species, the root ball of the tree could be considerably larger than it's crown. It would be a great place for a developer to pick up cheap and bowl the whole lot, and financial suicide for a remodeler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from Schadenfreude thread