Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

codo27 posted:

I remember getting the S3 and all the iPhone people making fun of my massive phone. God why can't there be a good small sized phone

I might get a Sony Xperia 5 iii or 10 iii, if that is indeed the correct jumble of letters which they have encoded their product names with.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_10_iii-10698.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_5_iii-10851.php

It's not exactly compact, but pocketable at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

bull3964 posted:

Because.

Say it with me.

People.Don't.Buy.Them.

iPhone 12 mini was right there. It bombed. Hard.

quote:

A new report by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners says the iPhone 12 line accounted for 63% of US iPhone sales in the quarter ending June 2021. The report also continues to corroborate that the iPhone 12 mini is selling at lower numbers than the rest of the lineup.

The four iPhone 12 models together had 63% of total US sales, while one year ago, the three iPhone 11 models had 65% of total US sales.

According to the report, the iPhone 12 Pro Max and the base iPhone 11 model had the largest share of any single iPhone, each at 23%. The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone XR had the smallest share, each at 5%.

lol yea nobody wants a small phone anymore

the current 6.1in iphone size is pretty much perfect with how thin modern bezels are. I used to think i wanted a small phone until i tried a larger one and yea, small screens can suck it

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The best small phone experience is now the z flip 3, sorry goons, embrace Samsung.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I have this Nokia not-even-android thing in a drawer somewhere and its size always tempts me back to a simpler time.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
If you want a small phone get a watch with LTE.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

There was this thing from someone that licensed the Palm brand (Yes, that Palm).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MikusR posted:

If you want a small phone get a watch with LTE.

I want a small watch, too! I hate the men's style of chunky watches. I had a slim Fitbit Versa, but that was still too big and I am wearing a bracelet style band instead.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ola posted:

I might get a Sony Xperia 5 iii or 10 iii, if that is indeed the correct jumble of letters which they have encoded their product names with.

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_10_iii-10698.php

https://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_5_iii-10851.php

It's not exactly compact, but pocketable at least.

I commented on a Sony mobile facebook post with regards to how ridiculous their naming scheme is and a whole bunch of (presumably) fanboys jumped all over me with iTs NoT tHaT cOmPliCaTeD. Phones are all stupid and terrible anyway but they can at least come up with sensible names for them instead of everything being [x] # Pro/Max or otherwise being incomprehensible

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Three Olives posted:

There was this thing from someone that licensed the Palm brand (Yes, that Palm).
Was this the thing that was intended to be used a back up phone? IIRC, it didn't worth without being paired to a normal phone, but it also required its own sim and separate data plan. The logic was that you take this one with you on the go! while you leave your other phone somewhere else?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

eSporks posted:

Was this the thing that was intended to be used a back up phone? IIRC, it didn't worth without being paired to a normal phone, but it also required its own sim and separate data plan. The logic was that you take this one with you on the go! while you leave your other phone somewhere else?

More or less, it was basically an LTE watch but a phone. But when that didn't pan out they sold it as a standalone phone that worked without a companion phone, they tried to target it as a kids phone with that functionality. But I think it is pretty much dead at this point.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Uthor posted:

I want a small watch, too! I hate the men's style of chunky watches. I had a slim Fitbit Versa, but that was still too big and I am wearing a bracelet style band instead.

wtf how small are you, the versa 3 looks fine on my 5'2 wife's tiny wrists that I can nearly wrap my hands around twice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sony, for all their camera smarts, makes pretty bad smartphone cameras unfortunately.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

wtf how small are you, the versa 3 looks fine on my 5'2 wife's tiny wrists that I can nearly wrap my hands around twice.

5'9", wear medium gloves, I do have small wrists. It's not the look so much as the feel. I don't want something chunky on my arms.

I may have kept the Versa if it wasn't a piece of poo poo. A lot of the stuff I wanted out of a smart watch didn't work and the stuff that did, well, Fitbit sells a smaller and cheaper bracelet that does the same thing.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Still waiting on a Google Glass-a-like that connects to your phone instead of being a stand-alone unit.

Folding phones, palm phones, watches, all lame choices compared to a HUD.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Uthor posted:

5'9", wear medium gloves, I do have small wrists. It's not the look so much as the feel. I don't want something chunky on my arms.

Nice. I'm currently wearing a 48mm watch that is so thick that it can go 2,000m underwater so I guess I'm bizarro you.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tetrabor posted:

Still waiting on a Google Glass-a-like that connects to your phone instead of being a stand-alone unit.

Folding phones, palm phones, watches, all lame choices compared to a HUD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FlvL2yLmWg

Google bought this company right before the release of the second version, which was rumored to be significantly improved. I was actually planning on buying the first version but by the time they were semi-broadly available the second version was allegedly right around the corner.

But Google does Google things, it's feeling like it was an acquihire with no plans on continuing development of their current product pipeline.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheeee posted:

lol yea nobody wants a small phone anymore

Small phones for small minds

In actuality it's closer to large phones for aging eyes

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Aug 12, 2021

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Uthor posted:

You don't have to wear it on hand. Turn it into a necklace or keep in a purse (or the place a small phone would go).

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have this Nokia not-even-android thing in a drawer somewhere and its size always tempts me back to a simpler time.

Unironically this. Give me a cross between a smartwatch and a candybar phone and I'd be happy :v:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately Gmail has been slow to load the entire email for ones that have the "view entire message" thing at the bottom. Like ~30 seconds vs at most 5 previously. Is this happening for anyone else?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

My Pixel 3a started boot looping last night and I can't even get into the recovery mode to do anything (will just reboot the second I try to do anything) Anything else I can try while I wait for the battery on this to die?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Teardown sleuthing has determined that the Pixel 6 is likely running the Samsung ISOCELL GN1 as the primary camera.

It's a 1/1.31" 50mp sensor with dual pixel autofocus.

That's a significant bump up from the 1/2.55" sensor in past Pixel phones. Excited to see what they can do with more light.

That's SLIGHTLY larger than S21 Ultra's main sensor.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

given how good pixel photos still are on their shitbox hardware i’m expecting the pixel 6 to yeet everything else on the market in that regard, and that they can now do all that processing on 4k30 video implies maybe they’ll finally lead in video too

exciting times that there may be a legit good hardware android phone that isn’t a fuckin samsung soon

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello
I'm not sure if this is a great place to ask this, but it is somewhat Android related. I'm about to move to Europe (from Australia) and I'm trying to work out how to deal with losing the phone number I've had for decades and all the poo poo linked to it, like confirmation codes etc. At the moment I was thinking of just downgrading my plan to the lowest tier and leaving the SIM here in a spare phone with someone who'll keep it charged up, at least until I've been over there for a couple of months and maybe things are a bit clearer. Can I do that and then access everything through the Windows phone app, or something like AirDroid, or am I misunderstanding how those work (do they need to be on the same wifi network to sync or something)?

Is this dumb? Is there a better way, or is there some trap I'm missing where this plan would completely fall apart? My current phone that I'll be taking and using with a new local European SIM is a Pixel 3 if that's relevant.

I guess international roaming is also an option, although I'm not really sure how that works with my cheapass carrier.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Is there number portability in Australia? If so you can port to a VOIP service and just use it remotely.

Apparently Google Voice doesn't offer lines in Australia, but when I added my husband to my phone plan there was a crazy good deal for adding a new line of service or porting a line from another carrier, but he was already with the same carrier. We ended up just porting his line to Google Voice, starting a new line of service with our carrier for him and he could access all his texts and phone calls through Google Voice while he informed everyone of his new number or if some random thing/person needed to contact him through his old number.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

SebAndSeb posted:

I'm not sure if this is a great place to ask this, but it is somewhat Android related. I'm about to move to Europe (from Australia) and I'm trying to work out how to deal with losing the phone number I've had for decades and all the poo poo linked to it, like confirmation codes etc. At the moment I was thinking of just downgrading my plan to the lowest tier and leaving the SIM here in a spare phone with someone who'll keep it charged up, at least until I've been over there for a couple of months and maybe things are a bit clearer. Can I do that and then access everything through the Windows phone app, or something like AirDroid, or am I misunderstanding how those work (do they need to be on the same wifi network to sync or something)?

Is this dumb? Is there a better way, or is there some trap I'm missing where this plan would completely fall apart? My current phone that I'll be taking and using with a new local European SIM is a Pixel 3 if that's relevant.

I guess international roaming is also an option, although I'm not really sure how that works with my cheapass carrier.

Port the number to Google Voice and then just use the Google Voice app. Google Voice, as a service, doesn’t work for Australians in that they cannot get a phone number from the service and then use it to call other Australian phone numbers, but you should be perfectly fine using your US number through Google Voice anywhere you go.

You can’t forward the texts and calls to your Australian number, but having a dedicated app for US texts and confirmation codes etc etc may be useful in your use case.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SebAndSeb posted:

Isn't the Pixel 3 dual-sim capable? https://www.lifewire.com/best-dual-sim-phones-4586278

SebAndSeb
Apr 23, 2007

hello

Three Olives posted:

Is there number portability in Australia? If so you can port to a VOIP service and just use it remotely.

Apparently Google Voice doesn't offer lines in Australia, but when I added my husband to my phone plan there was a crazy good deal for adding a new line of service or porting a line from another carrier, but he was already with the same carrier. We ended up just porting his line to Google Voice, starting a new line of service with our carrier for him and he could access all his texts and phone calls through Google Voice while he informed everyone of his new number or if some random thing/person needed to contact him through his old number.

quote:

Port the number to Google Voice and then just use the Google Voice app. Google Voice, as a service, doesn’t work for Australians in that they cannot get a phone number from the service and then use it to call other Australian phone numbers, but you should be perfectly fine using your US number through Google Voice anywhere you go.

You can’t forward the texts and calls to your Australian number, but having a dedicated app for US texts and confirmation codes etc etc may be useful in your use case.

I'm not sure Google Voice can help me, I'm in Australia going to Europe, so there's no US number involved, and it just says it's unavailable for me. But I'll look into VOIP services in general, thanks, I don't really know what they are but it's possibly what I'm looking for. Assuming number portability just means you can transfer between carriers then that should be ok, I've done it multiple times with this number.

quote:

Isn't the Pixel 3 dual-sim capable? https://www.lifewire.com/best-dual-sim-phones-4586278

Didn't think about this, but it would also depend on what it costs to operate my Australian number in roaming mode. But could definitely be handy if that turns out to work ok, cheers.

Thanks for the help, I may need to ask on a more Aus-centric forum, I have a vague sense that mobile phone infrastructure is set up quite differently in North America.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I didn't really have any issues with losing my phone number in 2019, other than my PlayStation account 2FA, but that was my fault because I thought I wasn't going to play any video games being outside all the time in Australia in 2020. lol

Xbox account transfer was fine because unlike Sony their support isn't complete garbage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I normally don't post about carrier deals, but it seems like Samsung is tossing around some SERIOUS marketing money for their new devices. T-Mobile is taking a dizzying array of phones for straight up trade for the Z-Flp 3. It's $1000 over the course of 24 bill credits, but they are taking stuff like the Pixel 4a and giving full credit as long as you are on one of the newer plans ($500 if you are on an older plan).

They will even take a Pixel 2 and give $700 for it if you are on one of their newer plans.

I did order a Z Fold 3 from Samsung for shits and giggles and traded in the Note 20 Ultra I had sitting around, got $850 for it (which is more than I paid for it) and got another $200 credit to put towards a Watch 4, but I'm seriously considering cashing in on this T-Mobile deal and getting rid of the 4a I have lying around (with its broken L3 Widevine) and grabbing a Z Flip 3 as well and really see what that 3rd gen of foldables are like.

Once again, the conservative, phone-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've noticed the last couple of days that when I swipe away a notification for a single email from Gmail, all the notifications go away a couple of seconds later. This is cool and good for someone who uses Gmail notifications as a to-do list.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Verizon is currently offering $540 for the Note 10+. If I wasn't familially entrenched in VZW, I'd consider flipping just for that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, T-Mobile is offering a grand for that phone for either the Flip or the Fold as long as your are on the newer plans (Magenta Plus and Magenta MAXX).

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
What's the $200 champion phone that has all of the radio bands?

I recently switched to mint and I'm missing band 12 which makes things a little lovely sometimes when I'm in certain areas.

I have a global version of the launch poco m3.

Is there a new value champ in the sub $200 range for an Android phone or would I have to spend more to get the bands I need?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

I normally don't post about carrier deals, but it seems like Samsung is tossing around some SERIOUS marketing money for their new devices. T-Mobile is taking a dizzying array of phones for straight up trade for the Z-Flp 3. It's $1000 over the course of 24 bill credits, but they are taking stuff like the Pixel 4a and giving full credit as long as you are on one of the newer plans ($500 if you are on an older plan).

They will even take a Pixel 2 and give $700 for it if you are on one of their newer plans.

I did order a Z Fold 3 from Samsung for shits and giggles and traded in the Note 20 Ultra I had sitting around, got $850 for it (which is more than I paid for it) and got another $200 credit to put towards a Watch 4, but I'm seriously considering cashing in on this T-Mobile deal and getting rid of the 4a I have lying around (with its broken L3 Widevine) and grabbing a Z Flip 3 as well and really see what that 3rd gen of foldables are like.

Once again, the conservative, phone-heavy portfolio pays off for the hungry investor!

Deals here are pretty nuts too, the biggest carrier is giving away a free Samsung 48" 4ktv with a fold purchase as well as $300 in accessories, and the second biggest is giving away the watch 4 and $300 in accessories.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, found out the hard way Google wasn't syncing data properly after even more crashing forced a factory reset. Shouldn't even be happening on a new S21+ but here we are.
Ah well. poo poo happens.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

gently caress it, yolo, just got the Fold 3 as well. $2000 AUD/$1,473 US including tax, Buds Pro and Samsung Care+ so I can sell it for that if I don't like it.

Edit: Can get just under $1,800 for my s21 ultra and tab s7+ here too.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 14, 2021

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
God speed you beautiful bastards

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Am I the only one who wants a zfold 3 so I can just pretend it's a GBA SP and flip it open and closed over and over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
You could buy a gba SP or DS or whatever