Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it... a guide?

I haven't read it yet, but it appears to be 10 "true" stories about women in Chicago in the early 1900's who learned the hard way that dancing leads to white slavery. (So pretty much EXACTLY like the movie Step-Up 3-D.)

Here's a review I found:

http://consumedandjudged.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-dance-hall-to-white-slavery-1943.html?m=1

Heath posted:

I kinda love that cover

Me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gonna do some "jack-rolling" while sober, so sue me!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

No one can deny the erotically charged thrill of a good hot-dog stand after surviving a flood.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue Moonlight posted:

No one can deny the erotically charged thrill of a good hot-dog stand after surviving a flood.

"Piled high" indeed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Pig Ball threat alert folks! There's a challenger to the crown

Phy posted:

E:

Doesn't help that I've sometimes heard the blonde labrador retrievers called "golden labs" rather than "yellow labs"

Ee: the "crazy thing you just learned" thread is long dead so here you go: Right whales have testes weighing up to 1150 lbs apiece. (525 kg for my metrified fellows.) These are the hugest balls in the world, and ten times larger than the blue whale's nuts.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

I’m jus’ sayin’…

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Oh poo poo, I posted that in the wrong bookmarked thread. No wonder no one was replying.

Well I'm not fixing it now

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
It works.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Gutter Phoenix posted:

I just picked up this paperback from 1943:

There's avatar material in this .jpg

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Vintage swine husbandry books.

e: "British Pigs and the Art of Making Them Pay by James Long" sounds kind of ominous.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

“Rammed and Wrung-out by Cthulhu”
:cthulhu:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

This sounds like it could be adorable :3:

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Yeah, I like silly old books like this. They're a pleasant and complimentary side-dish for the garbage I typically consume.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Road trip romances are fun light reads. There's a built-in external conflict - "We have to get from Point A to Point B within a time limit" - that's important to the characters while being low-stakes enough to avoid stressing the reader out. There's lots of possible scenarios the couple can encounter, giving them plenty of opportunities to show their character and bond with each other. And because it's a genre romance, you already know the ending is going to be happy. If you're new to romance, why not give one a shot?

DemonDarkhorse
Nov 5, 2011

It's probably not tobacco. You just need to start wiping front-to-back from now on.
i used to work at barnes and noble, and was able to grab some decent stuff. sorry about my feet

first, one of my favorite books, fantastically illustrated:

a story told only in pictures

this is a massive (probably weighs a good 15-20lbs) compendium of photos taken during/around 9/11 that came out in 2002. be aware there are a few gruesome pictures if you go looking for it.

a weird find

this might have been one of the first english re-printings of akira, early 2000s

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Those are all cool, but I really want to read the graffiti one!

I did some searching, and there appear to be a few volumes of bathroom graffiti compiled by CJ Phillips. I wanna find this one:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I've been enjoying this thread and I think I finally have something worth contributing. I picked these up recently:

They're the physical editions of The International Journal of Proof of Concept or Get The gently caress Out, a journal of computer security, retrocomputing and generally Doing Weird Things With Computers. They're printed in bible form, probably because of the joking religious qualities of one "Rt. Revd. Pastor Manul Laphroaig" who writes old-timey preacher style stuff about the virtues of neighborliness to your fellow hacker. They're also packed with retro ads for electronic and computer stuff.

They're full of weird and interesting stuff, reminds me a lot of older hacker stuff like 2600.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
POC GTFO is an acronym that could be read very differently

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Heath posted:

POC GTFO is an acronym that could be read very differently

I mean, lots of things can be read very differently if you leave out important parts like || :shrug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I have steered clear of reading anything written by self-described "hackers" ever since I was browsing the Jargon File like twenty years ago and came upon

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/appendixb.html

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have steered clear of reading anything written by self-described "hackers" ever since I was browsing the Jargon File like twenty years ago and came upon

The Jargon File is mainly created/maintained by noted dumpster person Eric Raymond. Please don't paint a broad and very diverse community with the chud brush based on one rear end in a top hat.

Also it's a collection of crap that no one gives a poo poo about and has basically no relevance to the modern security community. I don't think anybody EVER gave a poo poo about it but maybe I'm wrong there.

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 12, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

The Jargon File is mainly created/maintained by noted dumpster person Eric Raymond. Please don't paint a broad and very diverse community with the chud brush based on one rear end in a top hat.

Also it's a collection of crap that no one gives a poo poo about and has basically no relevance to the modern security community. I don't think anybody EVER gave a poo poo about it but maybe I'm wrong there.

A shitload of people talked about it (on Usenet) and also propagated it - what did I know I was a kid :shrug: Also lmao who the gently caress cares about the modern security community either.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

3D Megadoodoo posted:

And yet you registered on SA.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Also lmao who the gently caress cares about the modern security community either.

Oh no, god forbid people try to improve the security of software, gently caress them.

What a weird take.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SavageMessiah posted:

Oh no, god forbid people try to improve the security of software, gently caress them.

What a weird take.

What.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Maybe I, too, am engaging in the typical Goon Activity of reading things in the most negative possible light. :shrug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SavageMessiah posted:

Maybe I, too, am engaging in the typical Goon Activity of reading things in the most negative possible light. :shrug:

You are most definitely doing that

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

Heath posted:

You are most definitely doing that

Ok, sorry, I have become that which I hate most. I will cleanse the cheeto dust from my anime shirt in penance.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

No context, just an image to give posters of a certain age a jolt of nostalgia.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

No context, just an image to give posters of a certain age a jolt of nostalgia.

That certainly takes me back. I always wrote the name of my church on the "Parish" line because we were Catholic!

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Here is an exciting new thread just for today:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3976331

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Nah, John’s dull.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

Szyznyk posted:

Nah, John’s dull.

Well, at least they checked.