Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

numberoneposter posted:

i have the day off tomorrow and want to do a huge ride but its supposed to get super hot so maybe ill try to get some swim stops in

soggy chammy tho

I've done the ride/swim thing a few times on a hot day - it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The simple solution is just to go naked

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sweat poteto posted:

Yeah same. no big deal. Its actually pretty nice when the weather is pushing triple digits and the water temp is like half that.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I'm late for fender chat, but I ordered some Handsome Cycle fenders in June that were supposed to ship July 1 and I'm still waiting on them.

At first they were like - July 1st is when they were supposed to ship from Taiwan to Handsome - then they'll be shipped to me. I called August 1st and asked what the deal was and they said well they haven't shipped but they're being shopped via air and will be in Minnesota in mid-August. I'm hopeful to have them by September.

It's a bit annoying since it rained nearly every day of June and early July and it would have been nice to have some fenders, but I'm hopeful to have them for all the future rainy days of Houston.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

numberoneposter posted:

i have the day off tomorrow and want to do a huge ride but its supposed to get super hot so maybe ill try to get some swim stops in

soggy chammy tho

sweat poteto posted:

i am a naturally sweaty person so after my ride yesterday i probably sweat enough to fill up a kiddie pool.

modern problems require modern solutions.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I've done a century on 2 800ml bottles before without stopping, but that was a) in spring and b) a bit too far

How did you ride 5+ hours without stopping to pee?

….

You didn’t pee, right? Or was this on a tri-bike?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I‘m pretty sure the hydration question answers the urination question there

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

nwin posted:

….

I had 4x750mL Skratch Superfuel and 1x650mL water during Huffmaster + a Coke afterward. Did not pee.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

….

Pee is stored in the saddlebags

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nwin posted:

Strong bladder + sweaty, and 5:20:23 vs 5:21:26 elapsed which is pretty good

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
What are good alternatives to the Conti GP5000, which seems expensive where I am, in 28 or 30c?

Is there any reason to go with 30c over 28c for my main road bike for group rides - I weigh about 250lb right now?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bigger tyres weigh more and create more drag, but have lower rolling resistance and can be run at lower pressures and are therefore more comfortable. If your rims can take 30 or 32 there's no reason not to go for 30 or 32 for group rides.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

wooger posted:

What are good alternatives to the Conti GP5000, which seems expensive where I am, in 28 or 30c?

Is there any reason to go with 30c over 28c for my main road bike for group rides - I weigh about 250lb right now?

Pretty much any of the competing race tires are good:
Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa Control, Pirelli P-Zero Race, Michelin Power Road

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That ride sucked rear end.

Still pulled off 100km in 4 hours though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I am very much pleased with everyone riding.

I've toyed with posting about this or not but I think maybe it might help other people, but I really dont feel comfortable with the thought of riding my bike after my accident. I'm happy enough when I'm out and I've ridden in a group again already but the actual thought of going out on a ride makes me look for excuses to do other things.

In the grand scheme of things I wasn't hurt that badly and I know theres plenty of people in this very thread that got seriously smashed up and just hopped right back on but I'm just not sure about it anymore.

I hope I get over it because I truly love riding my bike places.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
That sucks a lot, but it's understandable. I've had similar feelings after crashes (far more minor than yours) and it took a quite a bit of time for the desire and enjoyment to come back. At the same time though it's okay to not cycle anymore and find a different hobby that you can fully enjoy and doesn't make you feel that way. In the end, to me, it's better to do what makes you happy and feels sustainable, rather than doing something because its something that defined you previously (not that that's necessarily the case for you). I.e. "I must cycle because I am a Cyclist".

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

serious gaylord posted:

I hope I get over it because I truly love riding my bike places.
:glomp:
I don't really have any advice, I've only had one significant crash and I was able to ride away from that. Luckily it didn't affect my psyche but I still haven't ridden down the hill where I crashed. I'd think talking about it is a good thing to do, either here, with IRL friends, a therapist, significant other, family, etc. Seconding the suggestion not to force it if you're not feeling it. Have you thought about getting more into gravel?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah it's pretty common and usually something that just goes away with time. I haven't had any real bad bike accidents, but when I hurt myself skiing it took me two years to even ski again, and like five before I was doing it as hard/joyously as before. Just go if you do feel like it, but don't feel you have to push through it to get better faster, letting it return naturally is totally fine.

Comedy option, pick up unicycling in your backyard or something else that isn't in traffic or such.

Edit: or other riders/mtb trails, if that's where you got hurt. Realized I just assumed "stupid car" without actually remembering if that was the case. "Similar but different enough" has been my "psyched out"-goto.

Phosphine fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 12, 2021

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Take your time before getting back on the bike if you have that luxury. I've pushed through every time, because it's my transportation, and because of stubbornness. It kinda leads to carrying around a lot of post-traumatic stress all the time, I don't recommend it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I crashed going fast through a curve about a year ago. It took a few months to get back to riding and I'm just starting to lose the sense of panic when approaching a turn with speed.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sorry I dont think I've explained things right, I've been out riding since the accident. I've done mountain biking, gravel and road rides since then just not very many. I've even ridden with the same people on the same road that I crashed on (And had to suffer the lols as they pointed out the tree I hit to everyone else on the ride). I don't appear to have any fear of crashing while i'm actually riding.

I just don't understand why I am actively looking for reasons not to ride.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Maybe it's related to the accident, maybe not, but it's normal to go through phases of excitement for an activity. Sometimes you just get burned out on something for a while, even if it's something you know you enjoy.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

Sorry I dont think I've explained things right, I've been out riding since the accident. I've done mountain biking, gravel and road rides since then just not very many. I've even ridden with the same people on the same road that I crashed on (And had to suffer the lols as they pointed out the tree I hit to everyone else on the ride). I don't appear to have any fear of crashing while i'm actually riding.

It might not be related to the accident - I've certainly had times when going out and going on a ride has felt like a chore rather than a joy - but if it is...

When I was in hospital they gave me a booklet on PTSD. The tl;dr is that basically any kind of psychological problem can be caused by it, and avoidance behaviour (even minor avoidance behaviour) like this certainly can. In almost all cases, if the trauma is a one off it apparently goes away on its own - so even if it is accident related I wouldn't be too worried. Enjoy your riding when you do go out, be patient.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Yeah, I wouldn't stress it too much. In fact, it might even be a good idea to take a break from cycling for a while or just keep it light and fun and let it just come back to you someday.

Cycling can be a relentless, exhausting, and time-consuming pursuit. IMO, it doesn't make any sense to fight it if you're feeling burned out on it or avoiding it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

Could be subconscious fear of riding manifesting in an adversion to being on the bike. Could be you're just losing interest, either temporarily or permanently.

Only a professional can tell you if it's the former and if that's the case exposure therapy might be the answer.. If it's the latter don't force yourself to continue doing stuff that's no longer making you happy. I went down that route once and it lead to a series of disasters.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

serious gaylord posted:

I'm currently somewhat burnt out and have been skipping weekday rides because of it. Hoping I just need a break from all of the after work rush to hop on the bike and crank out a 15 mile loop before being able to shower and relax.

It's bikes.

It'll come back eventually because bikes are good.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I always get a bit burned out after big rides. This week I’m not feeling because where’s the joy in grinding out quick 25 mile local rides when I rode basically two back to back double centuries somewhere I’d never been. It just doesn’t have that pop.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I always get a bit burned out after big rides. This week I’m not feeling because where’s the joy in grinding out quick 25 mile local rides when I rode basically two back to back double centuries somewhere I’d never been. It just doesn’t have that pop.
I get this feeling a lot too.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
I picked a bike out of the trash and fixed/cleaned it up to sell, and now I loaded it into the car so I can show a friend tomorrow. It's a little old and heavy but it's a solid ride.

I saw my regular ride when I grabbed the trashbike from the basement and we had a moment.

I glanced at it and it whispered "hey you big fat idiot, you should ride me more often" and I just sort of guffawed and rolled trashbike outside.

I can't wait to ride again.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Hey bicycle goons!

I have been biking to work daily for 5 weeks now and I've already lost about 11 lbs total - plus I feel loving fantastic, it's almost like meditation. My resting heart rate has dropped so much and I've never felt healthier before. Hell I even sleep better.

Escaping the covid anxiety of having to ride the subway has also been amazing for my mental health as well.

Totally hooked at this point. Anyway, to my question:

Do you guys have any recommendations for good autumn / rain bike clothes? Something that breathes yet would be a keep me dry-ish if it rains a lot. There is no shower at work so I have to bring a change of clothes.

Sorry if this is a common question, I'm just so excited about this new direction in my life.

Thanks for any help!! :)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A jacket / top can help a lot with your upper body, but if you want to keep your legs from getting soaked, you'll want fenders. What's your current ride? Does it already have fenders?

Stuff like this is dissected in the commuting thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

i am excited to do 40 miles on the bike again

but i am more excited about the bike date i have set up with the wife, just slow bikin' around a state park with me MTB and her hybrid.
Edit: i should pop a sick rear end wheelie for the wife

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 13, 2021

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

AEMINAL posted:

Hey bicycle goons!

I have been biking to work daily for 5 weeks now and I've already lost about 11 lbs total - plus I feel loving fantastic, it's almost like meditation. My resting heart rate has dropped so much and I've never felt healthier before. Hell I even sleep better.

Escaping the covid anxiety of having to ride the subway has also been amazing for my mental health as well.

Totally hooked at this point. Anyway, to my question:

Do you guys have any recommendations for good autumn / rain bike clothes? Something that breathes yet would be a keep me dry-ish if it rains a lot. There is no shower at work so I have to bring a change of clothes.

Sorry if this is a common question, I'm just so excited about this new direction in my life.

Thanks for any help!! :)

Try the commuting thread for specific recommendations, but fenders will certainly help. The problem with a lot of rain gear is you can end up getting just as wet by sweating if you’re all wrapped up.

For me, there’s a kind of break-even distance where you’re probably going to get wet no matter what you wear, so I just plan around that. I bought a good waterproof jacket and I just let my lower half get wet and change when I get to the office.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have two pairs of TENN (rip) waterproof and breathable cycling trousers and at other times use waterproof walking trousers. It’s going to depend on what kind of cycling you are doing; Stop Start city commuting or zooming along country lanes?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
How do you all check your tyre pressure - a separate pressure gauge, or built into your track pump?

My track pump is aged and cheap and the analog gauge fluctuates wildly, so I’m doubting what it says a bit.

What is a decent track pump and/or gauge that I can get in the UK?

AEMINAL posted:

If it’s wet and raining, waterproof overshoes (neoprene) to keep your feet dry. Or Sealskinz waterproof socks.

I think it depends how hard you’re pedalling - it’s pointless to try to stay fully dry while pedalling hard, in which case I recommend a waterproof-ish softshell jacket with a thermal layer underneath if needed. I like Endura stuff, though their fit can be inconsistent.

Legs, I don’t feel the cold and happily cycle in shorts into January (UK weather only) so can’t help.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I usually just use my pump, but I also got the topeak smartgauge d2 since I wasn't sure whether to trust it (turns out the track pump is quite accurate however).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

wooger posted:

How do you all check your tyre pressure - a separate pressure gauge, or built into your track pump?

My track pump is aged and cheap and the analog gauge fluctuates wildly, so I’m doubting what it says a bit.

What is a decent track pump and/or gauge that I can get in the UK?

The Topeak Joe Blow is pretty cheap and works well.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Put a sticker on it because everyone has one and it’s very easy for it to go missing in a group setting.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

yesterday's mid ride lake dunk was awesome but i totally dropped off my pace after, not a bad thing it was kinda nice just to ride easy back into town and enjoy the cooling effects and the super hot weather

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Try the commuting thread for specific recommendations, but fenders will certainly help. The problem with a lot of rain gear is you can end up getting just as wet by sweating if you’re all wrapped up.

For me, there’s a kind of break-even distance where you’re probably going to get wet no matter what you wear, so I just plan around that. I bought a good waterproof jacket and I just let my lower half get wet and change when I get to the office.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look for a better raincoat than the one I have (it's basically a steam sauna, horrible).

Got some ugly-rear end fenders installed RN but thinking about buying a pair of those "rear end savers" velcro loop quick attach ones.

Thanks for the tip on the commuter thread to you who mentioned it! Gonna check it out. :)